The realm of the Demiurge

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: The realm of the Demiurge

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:14 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:49 pm This would be like an aspiring engineer feeling satisfied that he has learned everything there is know about his craft after taking the first class of his first college course. You have also just reasoned out that your current desires and preferences which steer your thinking are still within the lawful context of the nested spaces. Don't you feel some impulse to at least investigate what that context is?
Every engineer, after a career of practice, has right to retire and change their focus of activity to something else. The dualistic realm is infinitely rich, it's an endless fractal of forms, circumstances and possibilities and we can spend eternity developing and studying its structures and labyrinths. But so does the nondual realm! So, at some point the souls who decided to switch to the nondual realm need to stop and retire from being invested in the activities of the dualistic one (including its science).

Going back to the "Demiurge conspiracy theory", he wants to keep us to stay involved, to believe we are progressing somewhere, so he constantly invents more and more challenges, attractive or thrilling tasks and issues to keep us interested and hooked to his dualistic labyrinth. "Look, this needs to be investigated, it's crucially important! Hey, there is a war, you need to get involved, take a side! You need to dive deep into spiritual science to progress spiritually!" and so on and so forth. Or, if you don't believe in the Demiurge, just substitute it with the human ego. I guess this tactic has been working well for him, but not for me anymore, thank you :) As I said, I do not believe in progress in the dualistic domain, it' just going in circles, with periods of seeming improvements followed by periods of degradation, even though the landscape is constantly changing so it looks like the train is going somewhere. That's why it is called "the wheel of samsara" in Buddhism, or Ecclesiastes describes it the best.
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; 3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; 5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; 6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; 7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; 8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace. ... What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
Ecclesiastes
I agree that some amount of science is always necessary, both in dualistic and nondual paths. The structures and governing laws of the path need to be understood to know the best way of actions. And I've been always doing that, because serious spiritual work is never apart from enquiring and investigation (that's why I'm on the philosophy forum!).

But I guess we deviated far from the topic of this thread, it's time to wrap up. Thanks for interesting discussion.

Ok, Eugene. I am not sure if Cleric is in process of writing any additional response to your previous comments. I would just briefly note that you have reasoned out various conclusions on this thread, about the archetypal structure of the Cosmos and about yourself, which you are now simply ignoring because of the implications. For instance:

So yes, if he would, in addition to all he already has, add the nondual perspective and practice, and leave the decision for the soul to incarnate or not back into human form freely according to its own discretion, than I would more fully subscribe to it.

You are literally saying here that, if a spiritual thinker aligns more with your personal preferences on what the human soul can do after death, then you will pay more attention to it. Otherwise, not. Of all the cantakerous debates we have had on this forum, I don't think anyone has ever expressed the role of their personal entanglements in the search for Truth this bluntly yet failed to realize what that means. It means you have destined yourself to only pay attention to those approaches which already confirm your current preferences, hence the selection of NDE accounts, hyponosis testimonies, scriptural interpretations, etc. It is a vicious cycle of personal preferences steering you towards only that content which reinforces those preferences, which then coveniently convince you those preferences must be correct. We already know the engineer in you would never stand for this approach to Truth. Maybe you feel too shackled by logic in your scientific life and that's why you compensate in spirtual inquiries by throwing all healthy and systematic reasoning to the wind.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 pm You are literally saying here that, if a spiritual thinker aligns more with your personal preferences on what the human soul can do after death, then you will pay more attention to it. Otherwise, not. Of all the cantakerous debates we have had on this forum, I don't think anyone has ever expressed the role of their personal entanglements in the search for Truth this bluntly yet failed to realize what that means. It means you have destined yourself to only pay attention to those approaches which already confirm your current preferences, hence the selection of NDE accounts, hyponosis testimonies, scriptural interpretations, etc. It is a vicious cycle of personal preferences steering you towards only that content which reinforces those preferences, which then coveniently convince you those preferences must be correct. We already know the engineer in you would never stand for this approach to Truth. Maybe you feel too shackled by logic in your scientific life and that's why you compensate in spirtual inquiries by throwing all healthy and systematic reasoning to the wind.
This reasoning would apply for the choices and preferences within the dualistic domain. However, nonduality is not a preference, it's the fundamental truth. So, choosing nonduality against duality is again not a preference, but it is a choice between the truth and self-deception, but very interesting and thrilling self-deception that can keep you involved forever if your personal preference is to do so. So, it is actually the other way around: it's only staying in duality (non-truth) which is a personal preference.

I know, people argue that duality is like a theater: we take the roles of separate characters in a play and forget that these roles are all made up so that the play feels for real, so yeah, it's a deception, but that is exactly what makes it interesting! That's the game of the Demiurge. Well, OK, every individuation of the Source has this choice to deceive itself to pretend to be someone else according to its personal preference. But staying clear of deception is not a preference, is a natural and true state of the reality - the Source being itself and knowing itself as itself without pretending to be someone else.
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:20 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:01 pm You are literally saying here that, if a spiritual thinker aligns more with your personal preferences on what the human soul can do after death, then you will pay more attention to it. Otherwise, not. Of all the cantakerous debates we have had on this forum, I don't think anyone has ever expressed the role of their personal entanglements in the search for Truth this bluntly yet failed to realize what that means. It means you have destined yourself to only pay attention to those approaches which already confirm your current preferences, hence the selection of NDE accounts, hyponosis testimonies, scriptural interpretations, etc. It is a vicious cycle of personal preferences steering you towards only that content which reinforces those preferences, which then coveniently convince you those preferences must be correct. We already know the engineer in you would never stand for this approach to Truth. Maybe you feel too shackled by logic in your scientific life and that's why you compensate in spirtual inquiries by throwing all healthy and systematic reasoning to the wind.
This reasoning would apply for the choices and preferences within the dualistic domain. However, nonduality is not a preference, it's the fundamental truth. So, choosing nonduality against duality is again not a preference, but it is a choice between the truth and self-deception, but very interesting and thrilling self-deception that can keep you involved forever if your personal preference is to do so. So, it is actually the other way around: it's only staying in duality (non-truth) which is a personal preference.

I know, people argue that duality is like a theater: we take the roles of separate characters in a play and forget that these roles are all made up so that the play feels for real, so yeah, it's a deception, but that is exactly what makes it interesting! That's the game of the Demiurge. OK, every individuation of the Source has this choice to do deceive itself according to the personal preference. But staying clear of deception is not a preference, is a natural and true state of the reality - the Source being itself and knowing itself as itself without pretending to be someone else.

But you haven't chosen nonduality - you have chosen to gamble that at some later time after death you will inherit a perpetual playground of nonduality (even though the spiritual scientific research you prefer to ignore indicates quite the opposite), and until then you must live in duality. We already established above your path will never result in a bridging of the Earthly consciousness with that of the higher planes - in fact, your very aim is to escape the Earthly 'prison' and hope that others join you. So they will always remain separate during our incarnate life, at complete odds with one another. You will always worry that you look like a lunatic when hugging the tree. This is the very quintessence of duality. When we remained entagled in our personal passions, preferences, etc., not only failing to seek a path through them, but willingly reinforcing them with our intellectual pursuits, we leave ourselves no choice but the starkest duality of experience.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Everything and Nothing
by Jorge Luis Borges

THERE was no one in him; behind his face (which even through the bad paintings of those times resembles no other) and his words, which were copious, fantastic and stormy, there was only a bit of coldness, a dream dreamt by no one. At first he thought that all people were like him, but the astonishment of a friend to whom he had begun to speak of this emptiness showed him his error and made him feel always that an individual should not differ in outward appearance. Once he thought that in books he would find a cure for his ill and thus he learned the small Latin and less Greek a contemporary would speak of; later he considered that what he sought might well be found in an elemental rite of humanity, and let himself be initiated by Anne Hathaway one long June afternoon. At the age of twenty-odd years he went to London. Instinctively he had already become proficient in the habit of simulating that he was someone, so that others would not discover his condition as no one; in London he found the profession to which he was predestined, that of the actor, who on a stage plays at being another before a gathering of people who play at taking him for that other person. His histrionic tasks brought him a singular satisfaction, perhaps the first he had ever known; but once -the last verse had been acclaimed and the last dead man withdrawn from the stage, the hated flavour of unreality returned to him. He ceased to be Ferrex or Tamberlane and became no one again. Thus hounded, he took to imagining other heroes and other tragic fables. And so, while his flesh fulfilled its destiny as flesh in the taverns and brothels of London, the soul that inhabited him was Caesar, who disregards the augur's admonition, and Juliet. who abhors the lark, and Macbeth, who converses on the plain with the witches who are also Fates. No one has ever been so many men as this man who like the Egyptian Proteus could exhaust all the guises of reality. At times he would leave a confession hidden away in some corner of his work, certain that it would not be deciphered; Richard affirms that in his person he plays the part of many and Iago claims with curious words 'I am not what I am'. The fundamental identity of existing, dreaming and acting inspired famous passages of his.

For twenty years he persisted in that controlled hallucination, but one morning he was suddenly gripped by the tedium and the terror of being so many kings who die by the sword and so many suffering lovers who converge, diverge and melodiously expire. That very day he arranged to sell his theatre. Within.. a week he had returned to his native village, where he recovered the trees and rivers of his childhood and did not relate them to the others his muse had celebrated, illustrious with mythological allusions and Latin terms. He had to be 'someone: he was a retired impresario who had made his fortune and concerned himself with loans, lawsuits and petty usury. It was in this character that he dictated the arid will and testament known to us, from which he deliberately excluded all traces of pathos or literature. His friends from London would visit his retreat and for them he would take up again his role as poet.

History adds that before or after dying he found himself in the presence of God and told Him: 'I who have been so many men in vain want to be one and myself.' The voice of the Lord answered from a whirlwind: 'Neither am I anyone; I have dreamt the world as you dreamt your work, my Shakespeare, and among the forms in my dream are you, who like myself are many and no one.'
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:00 am But you haven't chosen nonduality - you have chosen to gamble that at some later time after death you will inherit a perpetual playground of nonduality (even though the spiritual scientific research you prefer to ignore indicates quite the opposite), and until then you must live in duality. We already established above your path will never result in a bridging of the Earthly consciousness with that of the higher planes - in fact, your very aim is to escape the Earthly 'prison' and hope that others join you. So they will always remain separate during our incarnate life, at complete odds with one another. You will always worry that you look like a lunatic when hugging the tree. This is the very quintessence of duality. When we remained entagled in our personal passions, preferences, etc., not only failing to seek a path through them, but willingly reinforcing them with our intellectual pursuits, we leave ourselves no choice but the starkest duality of experience.
I don't care about all these debris of dualistic logic and reasoning. It does not matter how I got into duality and what I did or did not do there. Nonduality is not a preference, it's the truth. Going back to nonduality is not a preference, it's simply accepting the truth and staying true to it. Period
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free (John 8:32)
(free from what? from egoic preferences!)

But as long as I'm in the human body that lives in the world of duality, I have to follow its "lawful curvatures", there is no choice. The human mind will forcefully impose the twisted perception of reality on me, I will have to do things that make no sense only not to break the rules and not to hurt anyone. That's life in duality and we all have to cope with it, there is no other choice (except for committing suicide...). But I can still do some good things while in the body, for example spread the word about the truth of nonduality to help other people realize the truth (which I'm doing here).

But once I leave the Earth realm of duality at the moment of death and I already know the truth of nonduality and I'm presented with a choice to return or not to the human form, why the heck do I need to return into the mode of self-deception again? Returning back would be a preference, but remaining in the truth is not a preference. I just stay true to the truth.
(even though the spiritual scientific research you prefer to ignore indicates quite the opposite)
PS: If a "spiritual scientific research" indicates that the truth is not true, the problem is with research, not with the truth
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Stranger wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:04 am ...
Eugene, I would like to extract a summary of where I believe our understandings can intersect. I’m putting aside the question about what factors will make us reincarnate or not.

First, I think we agree that our starting point is our present human condition. I believe in the last few years it has been shown that the classical metaphysical approach where we begin with intellectual axioms about reality and try to derive everything from there, has run its course long ago. We can’t make a step further unless we become awake to the fact that the thinking that traverses the metaphysical conceptual space is itself part of reality and not something standing outside and detachedly reasoning about it.

So we can try to distill essential phenomenological principles from our living experience. In the light of the previous paragraph it should be already clear but let’s state it explicitly – this is not meant to make an intellectual model of reality. Everything should be considered to provide only anchor points for stabilizing our intuitive orientation within the stream of becoming.

As said previously, it’s pointless to fantasize the nondual existence as something absolutely orthogonal to our present stream of becoming. If this was the case, then any ideas about higher existence are as valuable as pure noise. As you have said yourself, there’s something of the nondual state which is present even at this very moment.

Thus we can conceive that whether we’re talking about dual or nondual state, as long as we can speak of temporal existence, there should be some kind of becoming, metamorphoses of our state of being.

We don’t need to postulate an outer world. Our experiential state of being is already an experience of the world state. It is already clear that we never know a world apart from our first-person spiritual experience. All true world-knowledge is really knowledge of spiritual perspectives of beings.

With this it’s not meant that the world exists contained within our personal consciousness but only what relativity has found in other ways – that we can’t speak of an absolute frame of reference.

The lack of absolute frame of reference doesn’t mean that all relative perspectives are hopelessly fragmented. Different perspectives can experience the world totality in different ways such that that totality makes lesser or greater holistic sense. The classic example we often use here is helio- and geocentricity. Both are valid frames of reference but one makes it possible to grasp things in a more holistic way.

So in the most general sense we can see our stream of becoming as continuous metamorphosis of our state of being. This will be true even in the nondual state. In all cases these transformations are not entirely arbitrary. We do feel creatively involved in the way our states evolve but these transformations are subject to certain lawfulnesses. In our sensory state we can’t yet teleport among states that correspond to different spatial perspectives. We have to take the ‘bureaucratic’ way and tediously transform our states of being by gradually passing through intermediate states of experiencing our legs moving one in front of the other and so on.

I believe you would agree that the way our state will evolve in the nondual state would still be subject to similar lawfullnesses. Otherwise we wouldn’t be a nondual being among beings but some kind of absolute being which without any restraints could transform the whole world state in arbitrary ways. The arguments on this thread are really about what the constraints in the higher state are, what factors play into being pulled into a new incarnation or freely navigating states that can keep us in orbit as much as we like. As said, I leave these questions aside.

Now when we speak of configuration spaces, as said previously, it’s not the point to fantasize some abstract structures but only to recognize our holistic intuitions. For example, our intuition of physical space doesn’t really depend on space existing out there in itself. It has been shown before how this can be demonstrated with a video game (for example fps shooter), where there’s certainly no space inside the CPU, yet we develop certain intuition about the ways we can navigate the machine states.

It is in this sense that we speak of configuration/phase/state spaces. It is our intuitive orientation about the ways we can steer our stream of becoming in a certain direction that for one or another reason we would love to explore.

Similarly to our intermediate leg movement states, our higher intuitive flow is presently experienced through the intermediate states of our intellectual thinking. These are the climber’s holds, the steps of the staircases through which we traverse higher order topology. The most important thing to realize is that this traversal is not categorically different from that of the higher (nondual) flows. We simply have to overcome the habit to live in the meaning of thoughts about things where we consider ourselves to have become a closed system, completely orthogonal and irreconcilable with our higher spiritual existence. Instead, our intellectual voice should be experienced as what happens to our higher willed stream of becoming when it becomes more and more constrained (quantized as it were).

I’ll stop here. I just would like to synchronize the understanding of the basic dynamics of existence. Let’s put it thus:
1. We’re continually metamorphosing through states of being, which are like relative experiences of the world’s totality. A state is only a label for the momentary totality of our conscious experience. It's not implied that reality is 'made of' such state-entities. In fact we can never know a state in isolation. We live in eternal transition between states. So the concept is just a handle for our intellect, to help us get a grip on the flow of becoming.
2. We feel spiritually involved in the steering within the stream of becoming. For example, when we move our ray of attention in our imagination, we’re going through states of being where our point of focus feels differently in each state. We feel at least to some extent united with the causal activity that determines the position of the point of focus in each state.
3. Our transformation of states are not arbitrary but follow certain lawful constraints. We speak of worlds only as far as we have certain intuition about the ways in which parts of the spectrum of our states of being transform. For example, the intuitive grasp of the lawfulness of the ways our sensory spectrum transforms we call ‘physical world’.
4. We know our higher being insofar we can glimpse how it is forced to tediously micromanage the transitions along heavily constrained states. In hypothetical circumstances we could imagine that we could simply ‘quantum tunnel’ between the state of being at birth and that at death. This would be like superfluid transformation without friction. There’s nothing that prevents our transition from our birth state to our desired death state. In reality however, this transition encounters the friction of countless other spiritual perspectives. This decoheres our state and we need to micromanage the partial transitions. The clearest way to experience this is in our thinking, which is like micromanaged transitions along conceptual states, which are attuned to a more holistic, overarching intuition of becoming. For example, a musical intuition has to be temporally decomposed and the states of us playing the piece have to be micromanaged. It’s similar with singing, speech and thinking. This would be true even in the nondual state. The constraints would be much more fluid, yet our steering through higher order spaces is still a kind of micromanagement of our becoming, albeit on a different level of integration.

Even though expressed with fancy words, all of these are very basic things that can be extracted from immediate phenomenology. It’s a kind of minimalistic conceptualization of our stream of becoming. The goal is not to theorize about the world but only to find minimal, yet general enough principal patterns that can capture the characteristics of our existential stream. These principles should be valid for both the dual and nondual modes. It is OK to say that no sequence of intellectual states can produce the higher flow but it should be possible for our nondual flow to partially express itself through conceptual and imaginative states. You see, the goal here is to peel the accumulated layers of cognitive constraints as to reach the essential principles of our stream of becoming.

Let’s see how all this fits with you. Is this all clear? Where do you agree, where do you disagree? I repeat that all this is completely independent of the question of reincarnation. I’m just trying to suggest a common language that can capture the essential principles of both the dual and nondual modes. When using this language we shouldn’t feel as if we theorize about how reality works but as if we put into words essential patterns of our stream of existence which are valid for both dual and nondual modes.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cleric, I'm glad you are taking this open approach. I agree with most of what you said.
Cleric K wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:25 pm As said previously, it’s pointless to fantasize the nondual existence as something absolutely orthogonal to our present stream of becoming. If this was the case, then any ideas about higher existence are as valuable as pure noise. As you have said yourself, there’s something of the nondual state which is present even at this very moment. Thus we can conceive that whether we’re talking about dual or nondual state, as long as we can speak of temporal existence, there should be some kind of becoming, metamorphoses of our state of being.
Exactly, we agree here
We don’t need to postulate an outer world. Our experiential state of being is already an experience of the world state. It is already clear that we never know a world apart from our first-person spiritual experience. All true world-knowledge is really knowledge of spiritual perspectives of beings.
100% correct. And the rest is all good too.

Now, I’ll draw an analogy from the scientific quest, but keeping in mind that the materialistic scientific investigation is an abstract “outer-world” modeling approach, while we are talking about the knowledge of concrete experiential first-person perspectives of beings. I hope you are familiar with the book by Thomas Kuhn "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions". Kuhn describes the development of science as periods of continuous development of paradigms (similar to continuous morphing of consciousness states) followed by revolutionary leaps when the older paradigm is replaced with a substantially different one that has little overlap and compatibility with the previous one. There are many examples of this in the history of science, e.g. leap from classical mechanics to quantum mechanics which is based on a completely different conceptual apparatus largely incompatible with that of the classical one. Notwithstanding the fact that the classical mechanics is proven to be inaccurate and its concepts inadequate, it is still widely used in macro-level practical applications that do not require the accuracy of quantum mechanics, simply because classical mechanics is significantly mathematically simpler to use compared to quantum one. So, the new paradigms often do not replace the old ones completely, but coexist with the understanding that the new models are more accurate and relevant to describe the reality.

There are similar leaps in the metamorphing process of the development of consciousness related to the way we perceive and interpret the reality and act in it on conscious and subconscious levels (because the way we perceive and interpret affects the ways we act). In that sense, such modes of perception and functioning are not simply abstract and intellectual models similar to scientific ones, but the living modes of the conscious organism, its perception of reality and functioning and forming the reality. The dualistic and nondual consciousness modes are such two modes that are largely incompatible with each other and represent orthogonal way of perceiving the reality and functioning in it. We always start in the dualistic mode because it is a default human mode of perception every human inherits genetically and culturally. The transition to the nondual mode requires a “leap” between these two incompatible modes, the dualistic mode needs to be “transcended” in order to arrive at the nondual one.

It is still true that both modes have their developmental curvatures and both follow lawful constraints. Nondual mode has its own metamorphic process quite different from the dualistic one and following different curvatures, nevertheless the continuous metamorphic process is still there. In both modes the curvatures are shaped by a co-creative interaction of humans and higher-order beings. And it is also true that both can be experienced and realized in human form. The problem is, as I said before, that if a human being sufficiently develops their cognitive capacity to be able to transcend into the nondual mode, the genetically-constrained structures of the human brain do not allow to fully switch to the nondual mode and force the mind to continue functioning in the dualistic mode in its subconscious layers on “autopilot”. So, the full transition into the nondual mode is not possible in human form, and this is a serious limitation of it. As opposed to a peaceful coexistence of classical and quantum mechanics in the modern science, in the case of dualistic-vs-nondual modes, the nondual mode is actually not only more accurate and true perception of reality, but also significantly more practically efficient and simple in applying to our functioning in reality in practical situations, and what is most important, frees the mind from making many wrong decisions and actions, from distorted interpretation of practical situations, from a lot of psychological suffering and so on. For a person who transcended into the nondual mode, the dualistic mode becomes mostly useless and redundant and a continuous source of troubles retaining old dualistic patterns of distorted perception and behavior. And the key point is: in the fully developed nondual mode (provided that the dualistic mode would also be fully dismantled) there is simply no ego whatsoever. However, for the reasons explained, it is not possible to leave it behind and fully transition to the nondual mode while remaining in human form, and so the human form becomes a hindrance and is unfit for the full development of the nondual mode of consciousness. So, at that point we would arrive at considering reincarnation (specifically, knowing this limitation and hindrance, why would a being choose to reincarnate again into a human after transcending to nondual mode?), but we agreed to put this topic aside for now.

But I also want to mention that we can only approach and understand the curvatures and guiding laws of a mode of consciousness from experiential perspective of first-person experience. In other words, we need to be experientially in such mode of consciousness in order to practically apply spiritual science to it and understand it. If a person never experienced the nondual mode, then trying to automatically apply to it the spiritual science paradigm derived from the knowledge of the dualistic mode will not work, it will only be an abstract extrapolation of the content of one mode into another, which is not possible due to their incompatibility. Therefore, I don't see such extrapolation approach possible. If we want to apply the spiritual science to the nondual mode, it cannot be done without actual experiential transcending into it and experiencing it from the fist-person perspective.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

PS: Another difficulty in approaching the nondual mode within human condition is, as I mentioned before, that the existent human system of language, common concepts and meanings that we use to communicate with each other, are incompatible with the nondual mode. It is simply not possible to translate the meanings and experiences of nondual mode into the dualistic human language. For example, one of the fundamental features of the dualistic perception is the division between subject and object (of perception, action etc), and so, the sentence structure of human language is similarly fundamentally based on this subject-object dichotomy which we can see in literally every language sentence. That is completely at odds with the nondual mode where no such distinction between subject and object exists. Two people experiencing nodual mode can still communicate in human language and understand each other by intuitively sensing nondual meanings behind the sentences of the dualistic language. But if the nondual mode is experientially unknown to a person, there is simply no way they would understand the nondual meanings when conveyed by dualistic language, which makes communication between dualistic and nondual mode people pretty much impossible when the former ones try to explain the realities of the nondual mode. So, if we want to discuss the lawful structures of the nondual mode on this forum, I do not see how we can find a way around this problem other than if all people involved in the discussion would be experientially familiar with the nondual mode.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

I do not see how we can find a way around this problem other than if all people involved in the discussion would be experientially familiar with the nondual mode.
Yes. And leaving aside for a moment excactly what a 'nondual experience' is, this is where the science would start. Until then, it's only andecdotal evidence, as interesting and True it might be.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Stranger wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm PS: Another difficulty in approaching the nondual mode within human condition is, as I mentioned before, that the existent human system of language, common concepts and meanings that we use to communicate with each other, are incompatible with the nondual mode. It is simply not possible to translate the meanings and experiences of nondual mode into the dualistic human language. For example, one of the fundamental features of the dualistic perception is the division between subject and object (of perception, action etc), and so, the sentence structure of human language is similarly fundamentally based on this subject-object dichotomy which we can see in literally every language sentence. That is completely at odds with the nondual mode where no such distinction between subject and object exists. Two people experiencing nodual mode can still communicate in human language and understand each other by intuitively sensing nondual meanings behind the sentences of the dualistic language. But if the nondual mode is experientially unknown to a person, there is simply no way they would understand the nondual meanings when conveyed by dualistic language, which makes communication between dualistic and nondual mode people pretty much impossible when the former ones try to explain the realities of the nondual mode. So, if we want to discuss the lawful structures of the nondual mode on this forum, I do not see how we can find a way around this problem other than if all people involved in the discussion would be experientially familiar with the nondual mode.
Alright, now we’re at the point where we should be exceptionally vigilant.

There are all the difficulties you mention. And the modes of cognition are indeed different. But they are not unbridgeable. This was the point of the previous post – to show that we can utilize even our ordinary language, developed through the intercourse with the sensory spectrum, in order to express facts about our spiritual flow of becoming. In fact, I’m amazed every day to discover how most of our scientific concepts can be used as almost literal expressions of spiritual dynamics.

This was attempted in the previous post. It’s nothing other than PoF clothed in modern scientific wording. The conclusion was that it is possible to speak very concretely about our flow of becoming which is of the same principal nature in both the dual and nondual mode. If we grasp this, then the ‘experiential familiarity with the nondual mode’ turns out to be something very close to us. ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand’ so to speak. Anyone can approach this experience right in this moment. It’s a thought-distance away so to speak. This is perfectly logical because the nondual is always present within the dual. We don't have to 'go' somewhere. It's a matter of turning attention to the 'exceptional state' as Steiner called it more than a century ago and which anyone with normally functioning cognition is capable of experiencing.

But as we already know, most will choose (consciously or subconsciously) not to approach such an experience. Some people would like such things to forever remain only an anecdotal evidence as Martin says. Not because it's impossible to investigate them but because one has 'more important' things to do. Someone has bought a new piece of ground and must go to see it. Another has bought five yoke of oxen and has to go prove them. Another has married a wife and so on. So what? Does this mean that we should say “until all humanity begins to show interest in these things, I’m not moving either?” This is nonsensical, of course. Our history shows it plainly. Nothing has ever happened by someone musing something new, presenting it to the world, the world saying “wow!” and everyone adopting it enthusiastically. This is simply not how things work and it can be understood in detail why this is so. But even if we don’t understand it, we can’t help but recognize it as a fact, at least by surveying history.

Thus, the important thing is to be clear with ourselves what prevents us from entering cognitively into the fuller spectrum of our flow of existence. The previous post is a living example how we can enter cognitively into these experiences. We can use language to speak in concepts and images about our stream of becoming and the lawful constraints. We have a clear direction in which these experiences can be deepened.

We see the gate, we hold the key. Do we continue further? Do we take a fully conscious and responsible approach to our existence? Or do we simply close our eyes at the threshold and dream of what might be on the other side, reassuring ourselves that it is too inexplicable to be bridged to our Earthly life?