The 'nuts and bolts' of spiritual practice

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: The 'nuts and bolts' of spiritual practice

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 am 1) As you can likely detect from my use of provisional language re 'spiritual forces', I have no experience this arena, and I currently have zero interest in Earthly Kingdoms or Cosmic Bodies. I regard these as a personal preference or option (even as a distraction) secondary to spiritual growth. If Dharma, especially as an evolutional flow would be considered a spiritual force, then that would be the extent of my interest.

2) Jnana yoga is typically the path of the recluse, those who's most common interuption would be someone offering the recluse a cup of water or rice. Someone with worldly distractions, like a family or job, is rarely suited for the concentration required for Jnana Yoga.
I suspect I would be classified as a Karma Yogi as I practice meditation and offer friendliness and compassion to the world.

Is it really zero interest? Because you are here, commenting on a forum with people who have a whole lot of interest in those spiritual forces and their concrete expressions, which presumably means you have followed and tried to understand at least some of the comments you are responding to. Even the agnostic idealist starts out with great interest in that - all the questions about MAL and how the One Consciousness manifests in differentiated 'alters' and the natural environment, are exactly about the spiritual forces.

The problem is that this initial interest must be continuously repleneshed and maintained, or else we eventually lose our sense of wonder by dint of interacting with the normal sensory spectrum, collapse everything into 'Oneness' and default to cultural traditions of kindness, compassion, etc. Of course there is nothing wrong with the latter, since there is great Wisdom embedded into our modern civilization and its emphasis on universal human rights and dignity. But we don't need to pursue any deeper ideal understanding for that - the materialist, the atheist, the agnostic, etc. can all say the same thing.

What initially drew you to BK and this forum, instead of a secular humanist forum?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
lorenzop

Re: The 'nuts and bolts' of spiritual practice

Post by lorenzop »

People participate in this forum because they feel they have something to learn, something to offer; and to clarify and understand (and question) their own belief systems better. I am no different.
This forum has wandered far away from BK and non-dualism generally, and leans towards the idiolization of the exotic - and so yah, I should probably exit.
It's been a pleasure.