The source of the 'Hard Problem of Consciousness'

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: The source of the 'Hard Problem of Consciousness'

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:37 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:18 pm Why would it do that reduction? ... It has no obsession with knowing the full and final 'truth' of the World's 'essences', grasping for and possessing that knowledge like the apple in the garden of Eden. True science is willing to sacrifice that personal obsession for dispassionate, transpersonal inquiries into living experiential processes. No living detail is too small or insignificant for this science. It discerns that the One Spirit speaks to the individual soul through those living details of nature and culture, and patiently listens to that Speech without imposing any experiential-emotional-conceptual abstractions on it. The latter may make the process of listening seem less 'boring' for a little while, but it comes at the expense of the Cosmic speech inflowing our consciousness and expanding it to levels of discernment which were previously impossible to imagine and suspect.
Because you can never understand what the One Spirit tells you through the living details of its manifestations if you only look at the details and never experientially discover within you the Living Spirit Itself that speaks through these details. You become lost in the details and reduce all your living experience only to the details leaving the direct experiential intimate knowledge of the Spirit as an abstract unreachable goal and postponing it till

No, that's only if the living details are continuously analyzed at the level of the familiar intellect (which is incidentally the level at which you approach the details of scripture and feel everyone else should as well). It is only when we can't imagine/suspect a higher-order level of interaction with the details, by differentiating from the intellect and uniting with the most proximate spiritual forces which animate the intellect (exactly as Cleric just outlined for you on this thread), that we assume all scientific inquiry into the details of body-soul-spirit must remain at our own intellectual level. It is completely unexpected how Living these spiritual forces which animate the intellect actually are. This already been conveyed to you, many times in and in many different ways, as Federica also tried to highlight.

Most recently:

We should rather conceive that everything in our consciousness is a kind of outer bark. The inner essence actually is nowhere to be found within our consciousness. It is the force that supports our concentration and it enters consciousness from a direction that is, so to speak, orthogonal to anything we can normally imagine. That's why we need this disposition of openness, that the higher spiritual being must impregnate our consciousness from without, from directions unimaginable. That's why we need this trust and prayer to the Divine. Only in this way we can accommodate something completely new, something that we can't presently find as something within consciousness with which we can decide to feel One.

But your response to this comment was a real-time illustration that you are still in the common pitfall:

Here we should be vigilant about a common pitfall. When we concentrate on a thought we might be tempted to imagine that, just as a nut, we already encompass its entirety. That our consciousness already contains whatever is inside it and we just need to crack open it. As said so many times, this simply makes us feel that we already encompass all reality from its outer periphery and it is a matter of working out the details in the interior volume.

Everything that he wrote, which any reasonable person can admit is unfamiliar to our normal ways of thinking, for you was perfectly obvious and immediately countered with the now boilerplate refrain, "But, as long as we remain within the framework of the ego-consciousness, we will inevitably also experience the world "through" the filtering of the ego-consciousness which will inevitably remain reductionistic." This simply shows you are not trying to inhabit the inner unsuspected reality to which the words are pointing, which exists behind your current perspective, but trying to grasp it as something which you already encompass from the periphery.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:04 pm No, that's only if the living details are continuously analyzed at the level of the familiar intellect (which is incidentally the level at which you approach the details of scripture and feel everyone else should as well). It is only when we can't imagine/suspect a higher-order level of interaction with the details, by differentiating from the intellect and uniting with the most proximate spiritual forces which animate the intellect (exactly as Cleric just outlined for you on this thread), that we assume all scientific inquiry into the details of body-soul-spirit must remain at our own intellectual level. It is completely unexpected how Living these spiritual forces which animate the intellect actually are. This already been conveyed to you, many times in and in many different ways, as Federica also tried to highlight.
As Isaid many times already, the living knowledge of the One Spirit does not reduce all the World Thought-content only to the forms that are currently experienced, and on the opposite, it opens new venues into the scientific enquiries of the living forces unfolding through the activity of One Spirit, because it is only when you know the Spirit intimately you will also more intimately know the details of the spiritual forces and structures created by the Spirit. You again and again conflating the living knowledge of One Spirit with "nondual reductionism" and beating a strawman.

So, as a summary:
- You deny the core messages of all spiritual traditions that call us to realize the living knowledge of One Spirit, while still claiming that Anthroposophy includes all other spiritual traditions. You simply ignore all the quotes from the Gospels that I gave pointing to the realization of One Spirit, as well as the obvious fact that all Eastern traditions also aimed at the same realization.
- As a counterargument, you misinterpret the message of these traditions by reducing it to "nondual reductionism", and once an image of such "strawman" is created, you then criticize it.

However, I do not believe your views actually represent the authentic Steiner's philosophy and his living thinking approach. As I pointed in this thread, Steiner also was pointing to the nondual realization. So you are not only misinterpreting and discarding the core messages of all spiritual traditions, but also the very path of Anthroposophy that you claim to represent. As it usually happens and as it has happened in most spiritual traditions, the core messages of the founders and masters of traditions have been and are continuously being distorted and twisted by those who claim to represent those traditions. Fortunately, the writings that contain those core messages are still preserved, and "those who have ears" can still hear the message notwithstanding any of those distortions.
Last edited by Stranger on Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Stranger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:18 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:04 pm No, that's only if the living details are continuously analyzed at the level of the familiar intellect (which is incidentally the level at which you approach the details of scripture and feel everyone else should as well). It is only when we can't imagine/suspect a higher-order level of interaction with the details, by differentiating from the intellect and uniting with the most proximate spiritual forces which animate the intellect (exactly as Cleric just outlined for you on this thread), that we assume all scientific inquiry into the details of body-soul-spirit must remain at our own intellectual level. It is completely unexpected how Living these spiritual forces which animate the intellect actually are. This already been conveyed to you, many times in and in many different ways, as Federica also tried to highlight.
As Isaid many times already, the living knowledge of the One Spirit does not reduce all the World Thought-content only to the forms that are currently experienced, and on the opposite, it opens new venues into the scientific enquiries of the living forces unfolding through the activity of One Spirit, because it is only when you know the Spirit intimately you will also more intimately know the details of the spiritual forces and structures created by the Spirit. You again and again conflating the living knowledge of One Spirit with "nondual reductionism" and beating a strawman.

How would you know, Eugene? What intimate details of the spiritual forces and structures created by the Spirit can you convey to us here, as Steiner and others have conveyed through hundreds of books and lectures? The last I checked, you were still eagerly (or impatiently) awaiting the next chapter on the phenomenal manifestation of spiritual Light.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
LukeJTM

Post by LukeJTM »

Güney27 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:09 pm The hard problem of consciousness emerges from trying to swap our innermost beings for abstract models. Our scientists try in vain to solve the puzzle. It is their discipline of abstract thinking, of modeling reality, that brings these problems to light. In principle, it is not possible to squeeze our spiritual activity into thoughts and say that this chain of thoughts is the reason for my spiritual activity, although without the activity that produces them and their meaning, this chain of thoughts would never have existed.
Hi Güney27, sorry I missed your message.
Trying to solve the puzzle with the same mode of thinking that created it, yes I think you're right. It does seem sort of like a dog chasing its own tail.
Our physiology correlates with our states of consciousness, but this fact is not sufficient to reduce our consciousness to those. I recently read that Steiner recommends perceiving things in the outside world as symbols, for example snow for purity and so on....
Wouldn't human physiology also be a symbol for our innermost being? I find it interesting to think about the esoteric meaning of our body.
Would you be able to explain more about this?

I think I have a vague idea of what you are trying to convey. I suppose you could say that our human body is a symbol or image of the incarnation!

I recall that some esoteric texts speak of different body parts symbolizing, or being connected with, a specific mental thing. E.g. the legs symbolize our ability to move forward in life; our legs (and feet) also connect us to the Earth and its life force.
However, none of this sounds particularly shocking to me, because, I have had physical problems in my body pop up here and there over the years, and in those cases I was able to find a connection between the physical problem and my emotions-thoughts; when I did my best to release the 'stuck' and chaotic emotions and thoughts, I found that the physical problem in the body cleared itself away in a short period of time. But, I don't know if yourself, or anyone else in here, can relate to that type of experience. I think I am going a bit off topic with this.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:50 pm How would you know, Eugene? What intimate details of the spiritual forces and structures created by the Spirit can you convey to us here, as Steiner and others have conveyed through hundreds of books and lectures? The last I checked, you were still eagerly (or impatiently) awaiting the next chapter on the phenomenal manifestation of spiritual Light.
I said many times that the nondual realization does not make someone omniscient about all the structural details of those spiritual forces. Such soul only intimately knows the Loving spirit that creates those forces and understands the loving character and motivation of the Spirit for their creation. That is what I meant by knowing "intimate details" of these forces: you will intimately know the Loving and Spiritual aspect of those forces that you would not be able to know without the intimate knowing of the Spirit that creates these forces. So, the task of expanding the limits of the living knowledge remains ahead, but nondual realization gives access to certain aspects of those forces that would not be available without the nondual realization. This is because every living force is never separable from the One Spirit that creates it, and if we disregard and do not intimately know the Spirit, we will inevitably know these forces in a limited, and distorted way. If we reduce the Reality only to the forms and forces, only to the content, and disregard the Spirit that creates it and is never separable from it, then that is reductionism.
Last edited by Stranger on Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Stranger wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:18 pm So, as a summary:
- You deny the core messages of all spiritual traditions that call us to realize the living knowledge of One Spirit, while still claiming that Anthroposophy includes all other spiritual traditions. You simply ignore all the quotes from the Gospels that I gave pointing to the realization of One Spirit, as well as the obvious fact that all Eastern traditions also aimed at the same realization.
- As a counterargument, you misinterpret the message of these traditions by reducing it to "nondual reductionism", and once an image of such "strawman" is created, you then criticize it.

However, I do not believe your views actually represent the authentic Steiner's philosophy and his living thinking approach. As I pointed in this thread, Steiner also was pointing to the nondual realization. So you are not only misinterpreting and discarding the core messages of all spiritual traditions, but also the very path of Anthroposophy that you claim to represent. As it usually happens and as it happened in most spiritual traditions, the core messages of the founders and masters of traditions have been and continuously are being distorted and twisted by those who claim to represent those traditions.
Eugene, in the context of my previous post several metaphors were given about the Spirit that for most people today is chained to know itself only in rigid intellectual forms. I'm trying to understand where you place this in relation to your view of Oneness. To be more concrete, think of the meditation that through concentration resurrects us in the higher Life of the Spirit, by liberating what is already secretly concealed as a force in our ordinary thoughts and bringing it to lucid higher self-consciousness. In your view, how this relates to the Oneness you speak of? Would you say that this is the way through which we become truly One with our Spiritual essence or Oneness is achieved in a different way, while this awakening of the Spirit Core is something different and doesn't directly coincide with what you call Oneness?
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cleric K wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:05 pm Eugene, in the context of my previous post several metaphors were given about the Spirit that for most people today is chained to know itself only in rigid intellectual forms. I'm trying to understand where you place this in relation to your view of Oneness. To be more concrete, think of the meditation that through concentration resurrects us in the higher Life of the Spirit, by liberating what is already secretly concealed as a force in our ordinary thoughts and bringing it to lucid higher self-consciousness. In your view, how this relates to the Oneness you speak of? Would you say that this is the way through which we become truly One with our Spiritual essence or Oneness is achieved in a different way, while this awakening of the Spirit Core is something different and doesn't directly coincide with what you call Oneness?
Yes, awakening to the reality of our Spirit Core is exactly what I call "realization of Oneness". Once we awaken and intimately experientially recognize our Spirit Core, we also realize Oneness because we also see the same Spirit Core in every living being and in every form of the World, not as an intellectual idea, but as a living experience. The transitional path to this realization goes by introverting through the layers of thoughts and forms towards the Spirit Core, but once this Spirit Core is realized, then it becomes known no more as only a "Core", but as everything, including all the levels of the periphery. All becomes known as inseparable from the Spirit, the Spirit is experienced everywhere and all the World content is experienced as nothing else than only One and the same Spirit manifesting itself in many forms. The key message of spiritual traditions is that such realization of the Core Spirit is not an asymptotic goal only reachable at eternity, but possible to accomplish in time, even within our human lives.
"The Kingdom of God is Within You" (Luke 17:21)

"Jesus said, "I am the light that is over all things. I am all: from me all came forth, and to me all attained. Split a piece of wood; I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there." The Gospel of Thomas
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

Steiner and others may have experiences and perhaps skills regarding higher planes of relative existence, including higher beings, other worlds, the after-life, etc; but these experiences and skills do not auto-translate into any acquaintence with Oneness or spiritual growth.
Likewise, an individual could live in Oneness and have no knowledge of or interest in 'other worlds' . . . they are completely separate issues.
There is absolutely nothing more spiritual about the pursuit angels or higher beings, than for example, the care of other beings, or playing the violin.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

lorenzop wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:39 pm Steiner and others may have experiences and perhaps skills regarding higher planes of relative existence, including higher beings, other worlds, the after-life, etc; but these experiences and skills do not auto-translate into any acquaintance with Oneness or spiritual growth.
Likewise, an individual could live in Oneness and have no knowledge of or interest in 'other worlds' . . . they are completely separate issues.
There is absolutely nothing more spiritual about the pursuit angels or higher beings, than for example, the care of other beings, or playing the violin.
That's right. But the fully encompassing approach would include all of that - both acquaintance with Oneness and the experiences and perhaps skills regarding higher planes of relative existence, because they do not contradict each other, but rather would work hand-in-hand when integrated into one path.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 pm
LukeJTM wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:54 pm Since this forum also is about Bernardo Kastrup, his idealism does seem guilty of using the idealist reductionism you are speaking of. I've noticed that his model, generally, doesn't seem much different from materialism in terms of how it functions. Because, he basically posits some blind Will force that creates the physical world, as well as experiences (it seems to function the same as blind matter honestly), and that our minds are something 'dissociated' from the cosmic mind until we die...not much different from how materialists consider minds to be something totally private or isolated from everything else, except that it's reduced to some 'dissociative boundary' rather than brain chemistry. And so on.
I wish I had this sort of clarity about BK's model when I arrived here! (through my interest in BK's philosophy)
So well expressed.

I want to circle back on this point, as I agree it is very well expressed and insightful. Spiritual science does reveal that while the visible manifestation of Thought is what we know as 'light', the visible manifestation of Will is what we know as 'matter' (or darkness). Most of us can grasp intuitively, or perhaps through some painful experience, that the phenomenon of weight/pressure, for ex., is the dimming of thinking consciousness. If that pressure gets intense enough, then we pass out and go unconscious.

Steiner has a great lecture on this topic, for those interested. It again points to the importance of a living understanding of polar relation which does not seek to reduce Idea to Perception, Spirit to Matter, etc. or vice versa. If we really pay attention and try to internalize these basic principles in our spiritual development, then we will greatly mitigate the risk of falling into the most common pitfalls along the way.

https://rsarchive.org/Lectures/GA291/En ... 05p01.html

It is a one-sided view of the world to consider it, like Hegel, as permeated by what one might call cosmic thought. It is equally one-sided to consider, like Schopenhauer, that Nature has a basis of free-will. These two particular tendencies apply to western human nature, which leans more towards the side of thought. Hegel's philosophy has another form in the eastern view of the universe. In Schopenhauer's there is a tendency which really suits the oriental, and is shown by the fact that Schopenhauer has a particular preference for Buddhism, and the oriental view in general.

But really every such method of observation can be judged only if surveyed from the point of view which is given by Spiritual Science. From this point of view such a grouping together of the world under the heading either of thought of will appears to be something abstract, and, as we have often said, the more modern development of man still leans towards such abstractions. Spiritual Science must bring man back again to a concrete view of the world, in agreement with reality. And it is precisely to such a view that the inner reasons for the presence of these one-sided philosophies will appear. What such men as Hegel and Schopenhauer, who are after all great and important intelligences, see, is of course visible in the world; but it must be seen in the right way.

Put accurately it is like this: Man has a certain experience in connection with external light. He has the same experience, in imagination, in connection with the thought-element of the head. Thus the thought-element (See Diagram 1) viewed objectively, is seen as light, or better, experienced as light. Being thinking men, we live in light. We see the external light with physical senses; the light which becomes thought we do not see, because we live in it, because as thinking men, it is ourselves. You cannot see that which you yourselves are. If you emerge from this thought and enter upon Imagination and Inspiration, you put yourself opposite to it and can see the thought-element as light. So that in speaking of the whole world, we may say: We have the light in us; only it does not appear to us as light because we live within it, and because while we use the light, while we have it, it becomes thought within us. You control the light, as it were, you take up the light in yourself which otherwise appears outside you. You differentiate it in yourself. You work in it. This is precisely your thinking, it is a working in light. You are a light-being. You do not know it, because you live within the light. But your thinking which you unfold, is living in the light. And I you look at thought from the outside, you see, altogether, light.

Think now of the Universe (Circle.) You see it radiated with light — by day of course; but in reality you are looking at this Universe from the outside ... we now do the opposite. First we had the human head (Thought in the diagram), which contains thought in its development. Seen from outside, it has light. In the Universe we have light which is seen by the senses. If we come out of the Universe, and regard it from outside, what does it look like then? Like a web of thoughts. The Universe from within — light; from outside — thought. The head from within — thought, from outside — light.

This is a way of viewing the cosmos which can be extremely useful and suggestive to you, if you wish to make use of it, if you really penetrate into such things. Your thought and whole soul-life will become much more active than it otherwise is, if you learn to put this thought before you: if I were to come out of myself — as indeed a person who goes to sleep I continually do, and look back at my head, at myself therefore as a thinking man, I should see myself radiating forth light. If I were to leave the light-flooded world, and look at it from outside, I should see it as a picture of thought, as a thought-being. You observe, light and thought go together; they are identical, but seen from different sides.

Now the thought that is in us is really a survival from earlier times, the most mature thing in us, the result of former lives on earth; what formerly was will has become thought, and thought appears as light. As a consequence you will find: where light is, there is thought — but how? In thought or put differently, in light, a previous world continually dies.

That is one of the world-secrets. We look out into the Universe. It is full of light, in which thought lives. But in this thought-filled light there is a dying world. The world is continually dying in light.

When someone like Hegel regards the world, he really looks at the perpetually dying part of it. Those who have this particular tendency, become, for the most part, men of thought. And in dying the world becomes beautiful. The Greeks, who were really people of innate human nature, had their external pleasure when beauty shone in the dying world. For the world's beauty shines in the light in which it dies. The world does not become beautiful if it cannot die, for in dying the world becomes luminous. So that it is really beauty which is created from the radiance of the continuously dying world. Thus we regard the world quantitatively. The modern world began with Galileo and others to consider the world quantitatively, and our Scientists today are particularly proud when they can put natural phenomena into terms of lifeless mathematics. It is true Hegel used more pregnant concepts than the mathematical ones to understand the world; but what attracted him most was maturity and decay. Hegel's attitude to the world was like that of a man in front of a tree laden with blossom. At the moment when the fruit is about to develop, but is not yet there, when the blossom is at its fullest, there works in the tree that power of light, which is light-borne thought. That was Hegel's position. He looked at the blossom at its maximum, at that which becomes most completely concrete.

Schopenhauer was different. In order to test his influence, we must look at the other side of human things, at the beginnings. It is the will-element which we carry in our bodies. And we experience this — I have often pointed out — just as we experience the world in sleep. It is unconscious in us. Can we look at this will-element from outside, as we look at thought? Let us take the will developing in some human limb or other, and let us ask ourselves: if we were to look at this will from the other side, from the standpoint of Imagination, of Inspiration, and of Intuition, what then happens? What is the parallel here to seeing thought as light? What do we regard the will if we look at it with the trained power of sight, with clairvoyance? Yes: if we do this, we also get something which we can see from outside. If we look at thought with the power of clairvoyance, we perceive light. If we look at will with the power of clairvoyance, it becomes always thicker and thicker till it becomes matter. You have no other option, if you agree with Schoenhauer, but to believe that man is really a being of will. Had Schopenhauer been clairvoyant, this being of will would have confronted him as a matter-machine, for matter is the outer side of will. Within, matter is will, as light is thought. From outside, will is matter, as thought is outwardly light. For this reason I pointed out tin former addresses: If man dives down mystically into his will-nature, then those who only toy with Mysticism and really only strive after a sensuous experience of their Ego and of the worst egoism, believe they will find the spirit. But if they went far enough with this introspection, they would discover the true material nature of man's interior. For it is nothing less than a diving down into matter. If you dive down into the will-nature, you will find the true nature of matter. The scientific philosophers of today are only telling fairy-stories when they talk about matter consisting of molecules and atoms. You find the true nature of matter by diving down mystically into yourself. There you find the other side of will, and that is matter. And in this matter, that is in Will, is revealed finally the continually beginning, continually germinating world.

You look out onto the world. You are surrounded with light, and the light is the death-bed of a previous world. You tread on hard matter, the strength of the world bears you up. In light shines beauty in the form of thought, and in the gleam of beauty the previous world dies. The world discloses itself in it strength and might and power, but also in its darkness. The world of the future discloses itself in darkness, in the elements of material will.

If physicists were for once to talk sense, they would not produce speculations about atoms and molecules, but they would say: The visible world consists of the past, and carries in it not molecules and atoms, but the future. And you would be right in saying of the world that the past appears to us in the present, and the past wraps up everywhere the future, for the present is only the total effect of past and future.