Triadic idealism: a model for the fundamental nature of reality

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: Triadic idealism: a model for the fundamental nature of reality

Post by Cleric K »

Stranger wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:26 pm Both aspects should be integrated, understood and absorbed intellectually and intuitively and then practiced, practiced, practiced in this very incarnation. My only reservation here is that I do not agree that the development of high cognition is only possible within the framework of Anthroposophy and only by practicing the exercises prescribed by Steiner, that would be a very sectarian approach. Anthroposophic practice of high cognition development is indeed useful, no question about that, but that does not mean it is the only way to do that.
There's no question that things should not be framed in an Anthroposophical box and labeled as that for all eternity. That's why it is important to understand the living reality of the spiritual being and Steiner kept stressing on that. To make a comparison, it would be like saying "Pythagoras' mathematical teachings are useful but they are not the only way to do math. It would be very sectarian to take ownership of this domain of cognition and force everyone to call themselves Pythagoreans." And this is true. But we should be very vigilant about the following. We have to be very careful that in our desire to be different and to avoid association with Pythagoras, we may step out of the domain of mathematics altogether. Then we say "See, I'm doing it differently, there's more than one way to do it." Yes but what is it that we're really doing?

Today we're especially susceptible to such digressions simply because people don't really even try to understand the essence of higher cognition (which starts with spiritual experience of thinking). Then it turns out that seeking alternative paths to higher cognition is not seeking it at all but instead, seeking some altered state of consciousness, which can be achieved in many ways: hyperventilation, psychoactives, NDEs, mystical meditation and so on.

To give a more explicit example, imagine a person who sees a mathematician writing down mathematical symbols. Then the person decides that there's more than one way to do math and goes on to follow his own inspiration. Then he produces something like:

Prompt: mathematical formula with symbols and numbers made of stone, covered with moss and intertwined with flowers

I think it is strangely appropriate that I used Midjourney to generate the above. This is a perfect example of taking something of the exterior of mathematics and reimagining it in a new way. This however no longer has anything to do with mathematical thinking. It may be art, masonry, gardening but a whole spiritual strata is missing.

This is really at the core of the issue. No one says that we have to follow Steiner's methods to the letter. In fact, ever since I started writing here, I'm almost exclusively sharing metaphors and exercises based on modern concepts, which were not yet around at the time of Steiner. But nevertheless, all of them form a coherent unity, such that if we understand one, we'll understand the other too. Then we understand that just like mathematics, the essential spiritual nature of man is not subject to authorships and patents. Otherwise we would be in the position of a man who knows nothing of anatomy and reads a book by someone called Gray. Then the man says "There's more than one way in which the human body can work so there's no need to engage with this book. Furthermore I don't want to be associated with Gray's sect." And in a way this is true. There could be alternative words for heart, liver and so on. But if just because we want to be original and different we refuse to investigate that book and instead begin to imagine some fantastic organs, then we're no longer dealing with proper anatomy. It's quite the same with higher development. We may not like the words Imagination, Inspiration and Intuition but whether we like it or not, these correspond to quite definite stages of consciousness which are simply intrinsic characteristics of the way our particular reality is structured and functions. It's not a matter of taste, just like it's not a matter of taste that we speak of thinking, feeling and willing, mineral, plant and animal kingdoms and so on.

That's the basic message. We should be careful that in our desire to go along our own way, we're not pushing ourselves into a direction that has nothing to do with reality. Thus even if we're determined to seek higher cognition in our own way, the least we can do is understand in full depth what individualities through the millennia have already discovered and developed. Otherwise we might be simply making beautiful forms of stones and flowers and calling it math without ever taking the trouble to understand what those who indeed do math imply in the word.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm So if they are two aspects of the one reality then at what point it would be appropriate to begin working also on the aspect of cognition? You see, this is something I'm trying to point attention to. When we speak in general terms, like in the previous paragraph, it's all good. But then, when we really have to consider the integration of the two aspects in practice, then suddenly cognitive development is seen as somewhat inferior, as if it remains dabbling in dualism and misses the essential Oneness.
PS: To clarify the misunderstanding, I never meant that cognitive development is dualistic by nature. Cognitive development can and should always continue in both dualistic and nondual states of consciousness. It may seem that I'm ignoring the aspect of cognition because I rarely participate in the discussions regarding the aspect of cognition, but that is not because I'm not interested, but because whenever I try to contribute I usually get misinterpreted and accused of being either "Kantian dualist", or an "abstract thinker", or being a nihilist, or lacking intuitive cognition or you name it. I'm still consistently being accused of those sins when I write about oneness, but at least I have a special motivation to do that because I can see the aspect of oneness more disregarded here while the aspect of cognition being already well covered and focused on.
Last edited by Stranger on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:59 pm This is really at the core of the issue. No one says that we have to follow Steiner's methods to the letter. In fact, ever since I started writing here, I'm almost exclusively sharing metaphors and exercises based on modern concepts, which were not yet around at the time of Steiner. But nevertheless, all of them form a coherent unity, such that if we understand one, we'll understand the other too. Then we understand that just like mathematics, the essential spiritual nature of man is not subject to authorships and patents. Otherwise we would be in the position of a man who knows nothing of anatomy and reads a book by someone called Gray. Then the man says "There's more than one way in which the human body can work so there's no need to engage with this book. Furthermore I don't want to be associated with Gray's sect." And in a way this is true. There could be alternative words for heart, liver and so on. But if just because we want to be original and different we refuse to investigate that book and instead begin to imagine some fantastic organs, then we're no longer dealing with proper anatomy. It's quite the same with higher development. We may not like the words Imagination, Inspiration and Intuition but whether we like it or not, these correspond to quite definite stages of consciousness which are simply intrinsic characteristics of the way our particular reality is structured and functions. It's not a matter of taste, just like it's not a matter of taste that we speak of thinking, feeling and willing, mineral, plant and animal kingdoms and so on.
I agree and I fully appreciate Stainer's approach to the development of cognition and also your efforts to further unfold it and bring it to modern people, as long as it is presented in a non-sectarian way.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:17 pm
Stranger wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:27 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:25 am AN EQUINOX PRAYER FOR ALL BEINGS
Thank you Lou, you always bring Peace.

And please do not delete the forum per Lorenzo's request, even though you may have powers to do that :D
Thanks Eugene. I'm a long-term lurker, I guess. Observing the deeper ways of others helps me appreciate and respect the beauties of all paths despite self-preferential commentary of the journiers. I've learned a great deal here at this forum. May we learn how to soar high, dive deep and touch like a feather.

Hey Lou,

I'm also glad that you continue to 'lurk', although you also occassionally throw out some philosophically involved comments as well.

But I wonder what would happen if everyone took pleasure in lurking and observing and learning? Then there would be no forum to lurk in, observe, or learn from. Or, at best, there would be a self-congratulatory echo bubble where people simply voice shared opinions in one or two sentences, post links/pictures/videos, and generally take comfort in the fact that everyone 'agrees' with them. There would be a few materialism vs. idealism, or X vs. Y, abstract intellectual debates that endlessly circle around themselves, mostly for entertainment value. We have already seen how that forum looks and anyone can still get a sense for it by perusing the 'Bernardo gets a room of his own' section.

But then who does the heavy lifting of stimulating novel discussions, about concrete inner realities, with practical applications for our individual and collective evolution of the World? It seems most people are simply waiting around and hoping others will do that lifting and sow those seeds, so they can come along later and reap the benefits, not only on forums, but in life more generally, whether those 'others' are conceived as nature, human technology, the state, or Gods. That disposition is very much at the heart of what we call material and mystical reductionism here, or the overall lack of serious enthusiasm for the life of the Spirit. In the vain efforts to hold ourselves out as 'politically correct' or 'virtuous' or 'nice and compassionate', and so forth, we forsake the inner courage and serious work which some must adopt (and why not the some right here on this forum?) if there is to be anything left to soar high or dive deep into.

For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Nobody wants to actively participate in a forum so heavily ideologically censored, especially for philosophically inclined people who appreciate the freedom of thinking. It feels like being on an Islamic fundamentalist forum somewhere in Iran. So here you go, most people left and a few who remain just hang around without contributing anything, you shot yourself in the foot.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:30 pm

And please do not delete the forum per Lorenzo's request, even though you may have powers to do that :D
Thanks Eugene. I'm a long-term lurker, I guess. Observing the deeper ways of others helps me appreciate and respect the beauties of all paths despite self-preferential commentary of the journiers. I've learned a great deal here at this forum. May we learn how to soar high, dive deep and touch like a feather.

Hey Lou,

I'm also glad that you continue to 'lurk', although you also occassionally throw out some philosophically involved comments as well.

But I wonder what would happen if everyone took pleasure in lurking and observing and learning? Then there would be no forum to lurk in, observe, or learn from. Or, at best, there would be a self-congratulatory echo bubble where people simply voice shared opinions in one or two sentences, post links/pictures/videos, and generally take comfort in the fact that everyone 'agrees' with them. There would be a few materialism vs. idealism, or X vs. Y, abstract intellectual debates that endlessly circle around themselves, mostly for entertainment value. We have already seen how that forum looks and anyone can still get a sense for it by perusing the 'Bernardo gets a room of his own' section.

But then who does the heavy lifting of stimulating novel discussions, about concrete inner realities, with practical applications for our individual and collective evolution of the World? It seems most people are simply waiting around and hoping others will do that lifting and sow those seeds, so they can come along later and reap the benefits, not only on forums, but in life more generally, whether those 'others' are conceived as nature, human technology, the state, or Gods. That disposition is very much at the heart of what we call material and mystical reductionism here, or the overall lack of serious enthusiasm for the life of the Spirit. In the vain efforts to hold ourselves out as 'politically correct' or 'virtuous' or 'nice and compassionate', and so forth, we forsake the inner courage and serious work which some must adopt (and why not the some right here on this forum?) if there is to be anything left to soar high or dive deep into.

For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.

Yes. This happens when one's primary need is to appease, not the thirst for knowledge, but the fear of lacking. A kind of Hell on Earth. Then, instead of expanding oneself towards the totality of being, one is condemned to reducing reality to a trivial mass of dead fragments, in the illusion of survival by possession.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:58 pm Yes. This happens when one's primary need is to appease, not the thirst for knowledge, but the fear of lacking. A kind of Hell on Earth. Then, instead of expanding oneself towards the totality of being, one is condemned to reducing reality to a trivial mass of dead fragments, in the illusion of survival by possession.

Right, like the fear of lacking enough people on a forum to satisfy our need for attention :) It's interesting how some only comment when a new person or two joins and it seems like there is a more of an audience to watch the performance. Then they 'quit' when it's only two or three gathered in the name of the thinking Logos.

But these are exactly the personal entanglements which can be sacrificed and replaced by something much higher. Then we begin to enrich our soul-life from absolutely everything we encounter, even the tiniest details from a discussion with one other person or with only ourselves in solitutde. We realize the deep truth of this verse - "For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away." It is a melancholy truth, to be sure, because we can see it happening all around us and right here on this forum. Some people continue to gain living knowledge from what events unfold in life, no matter what it is, while others feel increasingly alienated and oppressed and victimized by those same events. Posts which express a definite and concrete viewpoint on a philosophical-spiritual forum are felt to be the equivalent of a tyrannical dictatorship. It is entirely unnecessary self-sabotage to spiritual growth.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Hey Lou,

But I wonder what would happen if everyone took pleasure in lurking and observing and learning? Then there would be no forum to lurk in, observe, or learn from.

It could be a showcase of sharing from a diverse group of shining jewels.

I grok that there's philosophical heavy lifting. I'm grateful that some are prepared to do it and I acknowledge that it's not my mission, which is storytelling through images and words.

About the parable, my nature is to do show-and-tell.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 am
But I wonder what would happen if everyone took pleasure in lurking and observing and learning? Then there would be no forum to lurk in, observe, or learn from.

I grok that there's philosophical heavy lifting. I'm grateful that some are prepared to do it and I acknowledge that it's not my mission, which is storytelling through images and words.

[/quote]

Synchronously, after my comment about a showcase of sharing from a diverse group of shining jewels this video appeared in my youtube feed. The comments are worth sampling for diverse treasures.

Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:40 am

Hey Lou,

What in this scenario would make the forum any different from the showcase of diverse jewels known as Instagram? I'm seriously asking.

What we want, what we like, what is our 'nature', is only one side of the issue, which has of course risen to prominence in the pursuit of individual freedom. The other side is what the World needs. As mentioned on the other thread, our not too distant ancestors experienced the Thinking force with them as an expression of instreaming Divine Wisdom and Love, which in turn inspired a sense of responsibility towards outflowing that Wisdom-Love through the thinking force into the surrounding World for the benefit of human progress as a whole. In short, this Force wove their souls into something much bigger than themselves, and what brought them personal pleasure and satisfaction at any given time. Without some willing to sacrifice those latter instincts for the higher ideals, there will be nothing left for anyone to take pleasure or satisfaction in.

"Does not wisdom call out,

and understanding raise her voice?

On the heights overlooking the road,

at the crossroads she takes her stand.

Beside the gates to the city,

at the entrances she cries out:

“To you, O men, I call out,

and my cry is to the sons of men.

O simple ones, learn to be shrewd;

O fools, gain understanding.

Listen, for I speak of noble things,

and the opening of my lips will reveal right.

For my mouth will speak the truth,

and wickedness is detestable to my lips.

All the words of my mouth are righteous;

none are crooked or perverse.

They are all plain to the discerning,

and upright to those who find knowledge.

Receive my instruction instead of silver,

and knowledge rather than pure gold.

For wisdom is more precious than rubies,

and nothing you desire compares with her.
"
(Proverbs 8)