Metaphysics and the values of individual creativity.

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Metaphysics and the values of individual creativity.

Post by Lou Gold »

The New Yorker magazine has a quite interesting review of a book about the post-WWII emphasis of placing a high social value on individual creativity.

THE ORIGINS OF CREATIVITY

There seem to be lots of metaphysical hooks to explore. I wonder particularly about the seeming emphasis or priority given to the Sovereignty of Individual Creativity? What is the Idealist take on this?

OK. Please go at it.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Federica

Re: Metaphysics and the values of individual creativity.

Post by Federica »

Lou,

I am not sure what the idealist take on this is supposed to be, however it seems the article is based on the implicit assumption that there is an immanent categorization between fiction and non-fiction. In a sense, everything that has been written is non-fiction, correct?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:59 am Lou,

I am not sure what the idealist take on this is supposed to be, however it seems the article is based on the implicit assumption that there is an immanent categorization between fiction and non-fiction. In a sense, everything that has been written is non-fiction, correct?
I dunno but I personally lean toward thinking everything written is a story.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Ok, everything written is a story, if you prefer. So you were concerned with individual creativity. Beyond the long historical review and fragmenting definition attempts in the article, what do you say about simply bringing the idea of creativity back to that of freedom?

You might like this characterization:

"Freedom must be creative, poetic, in the etymological sense, to be at all. And love, in its essence, is the principle of all perception and all existence: “the Amen of the Universe,” in Novalis’ words. For things to be and to be perceived, they must become one of many without their parts ceasing to be many. For a cup to be, its handle, sides, bottom, and interior must become one without ceasing to be many. And for me to perceive the cup, it must become part of me and yet remain itself. Only the lover is free because only the lover perceives things in their oneness and their reality, and through them, to God."

I am quoting from the idea of freedom
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Ok, everything written is a story, if you prefer. So you were concerned with individual creativity. Beyond the long historical review and fragmenting definition attempts in the article, what do you say about simply bringing the idea of creativity back to that of freedom?

"Freedom must be creative, poetic, in the etymological sense, to be at all. And love, in its essence, is the principle of all perception and all existence: “the Amen of the Universe,” in Novalis’ words. For things to be and to be perceived, they must become one of many without their parts ceasing to be many. For a cup to be, its handle, sides, bottom, and interior must become one without ceasing to be many. And for me to perceive the cup, it must become part of me and yet remain itself. Only the lover is free because only the lover perceives things in their oneness and their reality, and through them, to God."

Federica,

I bring it all back to love, which of course freely chooses whether to expand or limit one's creativity. We choose sacrifice in order to make sacred. We must remember that creativity is both constructive/destructive or simply disruptive/uncertain/unknown and thus we seek a balance called "goodness."
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:39 pm

Federica,

I bring it all back to love, which of course freely chooses whether to expand or limit one's creativity. We choose sacrifice in order to make sacred. We must remember that creativity is both constructive/destructive or simply disruptive/uncertain/unknown and thus we seek a balance called "goodness."
Lou,

I think that creativity - freedom to produce new emergence - is only constructive. When we disrupt or destruct, be it by ignorance or lucid intent, we are not free or creative, and we lack balance, on the physical and spiritual plane alike. Goodness arises at the confluence not of construction with disruption, but - as in Cleric's latest post - of perception and abstractness, Ahriman and Lucifer, materialism and mysticism.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:57 pm
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:39 pm

Federica,

Lou,

I think that creativity - freedom to produce new emergence - is only constructive. When we disrupt or destruct, be it by ignorance or lucid intent, we are not free or creative, and we lack balance, on the physical and spiritual plane alike. Goodness arises at the confluence not of construction with disruption, but - as in Cleric's latest post - of perception and abstractness, Ahriman and Lucifer, materialism and mysticism.
We disagree. I do see constructive/destructive as a choice, a matter of balance as you say. It seems obvious with whether to use nuclear science for war or low-carbon energy. But often, creativity is simply disruptive in hard-to-predict ways because of heading into quite novel territory. I think the heavy discussions about emerging forms of AI are an example. The big problem is that new tech is generally introduced with a heavy emphasis on its promise (ex: AI and healthcare or shifting from from fossil to electric transportation) but insufficient attention to collateral costs (ex: "surveillance capitalism" or mining sufficient metals for electric vehicles).
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:11 pm We disagree. I do see constructive/destructive as a choice, a matter of balance as you say. It seems obvious with whether to use nuclear science for war or low-carbon energy. But often, creativity is simply disruptive in hard-to-predict ways because of heading into quite novel territory. I think the heavy discussions about emerging forms of AI are an example. The big problem is that new tech is generally introduced with a heavy emphasis on its promise (ex: AI and healthcare or shifting from from fossil to electric transportation) but insufficient attention to collateral costs (ex: "surveillance capitalism" or mining sufficient metals for electric vehicles).
Surely some can drop nuclear bombs and others ask AI to 'think' for them, but is this creative freedom, or is it more like slavery?