Meditation

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Meditation

Post by AshvinP »

Cleric K wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:26 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:48 pm Actually, since we have come to the topic, I would be interested to hear if Cleric has any thoughts on whether such breathing exercises can be helpful if practiced once in awhile?
Here we should distinguish two situations. Breathing as exercise on its own can be useful and we should certainly have some breathing tricks in our ammo pack. These are especially useful in our daily life when we need to quickly restore balance. Several slow deep breaths with freezing in concentration for a few seconds on top, are indispensable tools. It is even better when they are combined with some thoughts. I’ll paste here what I wrote to you some time ago:

1. We breathe in and at the same time think the words:
May the Divine Name be hallowed within me.
2. We hold the air and think the words:
May the Divine Kingdom come within me.
3. We exhale and at the same time think the words:
May the Divine Will be done.

Now the second situation is when we’re seeking the higher states of consciousness. In that case breathing should not be used as the primary means. Steiner has especially warned about this. Otherwise, it is relatively easy to achieve some altered form of consciousness through breathing. For example, if we breathe deeply and quickly for 20-30 seconds (hyperventilating) and then we hold the breath, freezing in concentration, we’ll certainly feel a tingling wave spreading in all directions and maybe some fleeting Imaginations. But this, just like all the other methods of forceful loosening of the bodies, can’t be used with good results for attaining higher cognition.

This doesn’t mean that breathing should be ignored. It is very important. Our whole astral body pulsates in the breathing rhythm. The thing is that the astral body should dictate the rhythm and not the intellectually motivated breathing will. I was thinking how to give a clearer example of this and the following comes as a kind of exercise.

We can imagine a small fluffy feather in our mind’s eye.

Then we can imagine the air element within us and everywhere. For simplicity, we can disregard the physical breathing apparatus and consider only the air. When we breathe in it is as if the air is sucked in from all directions towards our center (chest region). When we exhale, we do the opposite – air expands in all directions. We are like a sphere of air.

Now think of a feather like the above floating in the air. Think how even our gentlest breath carries it away. This leads us to the exercise. When we concentrate on the feather image in our mind’s eye, we try to make our breathing so slow, smooth and gentle that the feather barely moves. We should picture the pulsating air sphere caressing the feather. This would be very easy if we hold the feather in our mind as if nailed. Then we can imagine even a strong wind and it will stay in place. But we have to be very gentle. The feather should feel weightless, we shouldn’t touch it in our imagination with anything solid – only with the air.

The goal of such an exercise is to feel how we don't modify our breathing in hope that something will happen as a result but instead we work directly with the ideal and allow it to inspire the corresponding breathing. This smooth inner soul space is a necessity for proper reflection of the Imaginative. The smooth surface of the lake (or the pond from our talks) in which the mountains and stars reflect is almost a cliché, but it is nevertheless true. Yet instead of mechanically smoothing the surface, we should do that in response to the mountains and stars (or feather) that we want to behold. Thus to the question “what should my breathing be in meditation?” we should answer “whatever the soul space requires in order to manifest its rhythmic and beautiful musical forms”. And of course, one of the best exercises is breathing the light of the Sun (especially in early morning, ideally at Sunrise). With every breath we should try to feel the Divine Ideas that need to be accommodated in our soul. Once again, we should do that with openness as if we want the incoming Inspirations to entrain our breath.

Thank you, Cleric, for reminding of these important exercises and providing a new one. The feather exercise also seems to be a great allegory for how we are generally trying to wean our soul-life off of conceptual activity that tries to mechanically patch together higher experiences, perhaps by seeking out certain traditional models or practices and using them as a 'playbook' for our understanding and development, and rather adopt a stance of conceptual attunement where our concepts remain plastic and we allow them to be dynamically shaped by "whatever the soul space requires in order to manifest its rhythmic and beautiful musical forms."

The inward stance of allowing our conceptual life and even our deeper physiological life to be entrained by the inflow of higher ideations is a powerful one. One could also depict it imaginatively as the plant seed shooting forth in a generally concave gesture that allows itself to be drawn upwards by the Light, as Federica and I were discussing on the other thread, whereas the habitual conceptual (and therefore breathing activity) is more like the arrow or spearhead thrusting itself upwards. We can even start to sense this in our habituated breathing rhythm that unfolds in fits and starts with rough edges, so to speak. There is a certain oppressive gravity to this sort of breathing rather than the levity we find in the plant world.

Adams and Whicher wrote:It is a wonderful paradox of Nature that the upward-shooting plant brings forth materials and forms which both in use and in appearance are proverbial for their radial penetrating power, yet there is little of this quality in the way they first come into being. The upright stem does not thrust its way into space like an arrow or a spearhead. The upward-growing power of the shoot is indeed one of the mightiest phenomena we know, and the eventual outcome of it is a thing of strength in the realm of earthly pressures and tensions – formed into pillar and pile, spike and ramrod for human use from ages past. Yet it was not with this earthly-radial quality that the growing shoot made its way up and outward.

Not only are they young growing tissues delicate and watery ; the same is true of nearly all living, growing things, including the downward-tending root which has indeed a radial quality of form and growth. It is not merely the delicate material ; it is the form, the gesture of the growing shoot to which we specially refer. Describing it exactly as we see it, the typical phenomena at the growing-point is the very opposite of a spearhead. What we behold at the tip of the growing shoot is concave and not convex ; it is a hollow space we nearly always see...

The concave quality of upward growth is an essential feature of the impression we receive from the green plants that bedeck the Earth around is. The plants live by the light, coming to Earth from the Sun, from cosmic spaces. Pictorially, it is as though each single shoot were reaching out to receive and hold its portion in the light. All this contribute to the peculiar feeling of freshness and buoyancy the plant-world gives us. Leaf and leaf-bearing branch, as they grow older, do indeed tend outwards a planar and even horizontally flattened form. ; yet for the most part they retain something of the up – and inward gesture. Where the leaf does not flatten to the likeliness of a planes, it is indeed not always but in the majority of cases concave on its upper ventral surface.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:40 pm Oh thanks, Cleric, for the breathing trick, I was at the dentist this morning I could put it to immediate use! :)
It has worked beyond expectations.

Ashvin, I don't know if you saw this, but with such possible effects, I would for myself be careful, even if it's just a preparation for cold water. I have clipped the relevant minute:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxMwjwGIyAiV ... eFCgdvTHoq

Thanks for the caution, Federica. I assure you that I don't plan to do whatever it was those people were doing prior to that video :)
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:32 am Reading some of what has been written here and listening to some Steiner talks on the topic of imaginative cognition makes me wonder whether I actually have attained it to some degree if it is essentially characterised by the formation of images in the absence of sensory objects. I would be very surprised if this was the case.

When I meditate, I can quite easily enter a mode where all manner of fractal like imagery appears of which I can exert a degree of control over the form. It can be quite captivating and sometimes I allow myself to watch the unfolding patters for some time. But I've always presumed that be be a distraction and have generally avoided being drawn into it. I remember from a very young age having nightmares which involved being in a similar fractal space, often enclosed in a small room like a toilet where the walls would be morphing with these patterns. It was quite frightening and I was glad when such dreams subsided as I grew older.

Do other people here have such experiences in meditation and what is the difference between this and imaginative cognition?

Anthony,

I don't know if subsequent comments addressed your question in this post. I am also not really sure of the answer to your question.

It may help to hear what meditative exercises you are doing and how vivid is the imagery? One thing to perhaps consider is how the fractal imagery hearkens back to childhood experiences, perhaps related to subconscious fears. Have you had any other experiences besides the fractals? My understanding is that, generally speaking, supersensible imaginations will not be something that could be drawn from our memory. In any case, it is impressive that you are able to resist being drawn into it and remain concentrated.

Steiner wrote:In the case of voluntarily produced clairvoyance there comes a moment in the course of the soul's inner activity when we know: now my soul is experiencing something that it never experienced before. The experience is not a definite one, but a general feeling that we are not confronting the outer world of the senses, nor are we within it, nor yet are we within ourselves as in the ordinary life of the soul. The outer and inner experiences melt into one, into a feeling of life, hitherto unknown to the soul, concerning which, however, the soul knows that it could not be felt if it were only living within the outer world by means of the senses or by its ordinary feelings and recollections. We feel, moreover, that during this condition of the soul something is penetrating into it from a world hitherto unknown.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

Anthony66 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:32 am Do other people here have such experiences in meditation and what is the difference between this and imaginative cognition?

Anthony, I just want to say that I'm thinking about your question. I don't want to attempt any outsider comments and bring unclarity rather than anything good, but I'm thinking about your question. (I never had fractal images other than through the posts here)
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:29 pm Thanks for the caution, Federica. I assure you that I don't plan to do whatever it was those people were doing prior to that video :)

The people were doing the method with Wim Hof in one of his workshops, so I’m glad you are not planning to use those breathing exercises to prepare your next step :)

For a cold shower I’m pretty sure Cleric’s breathing exercise in three parts is more than enough!
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

As I was reading the words of the breathing exercise I realized that my initial translation is not exact. Initially I wanted to emphasize the relation with the triad in the Lord's prayer and that's why I decided to use the words as close as they are there. But maybe that changes the original meaning slightly. The differences are not great but it's still better to keep as close to the original as possible:

1. We breathe in and at the same time think the words:
May the Divine Name be glorified within/through me.
2. We hold the air and think the words:
May the Divine Kingdom be established within me.
3. We exhale and at the same time think the words:
May the Divine Will be done.

I have bolded the changed parts. As usual, in order for such an exercise to be really effective it's a good idea to spend some time with the words and experience deeply the gestures.

For example, for the first part we can reflect on what is the Name? In the narrow sense it is a word for something. In the slightly deeper sense we can conceive also of the True Name, which is emanation of the spiritual essence and thus is unique to it. So by breathing in, it is as if we want to breathe in the Divine essence such that it can make its Name known and glorified through us.

In the second part we hold the breath and the spiritual essence sets to work, it begins its transformative work on our body, which should become the Divine Kingdom in which the Divine Spirit can reign.

Finally, we breathe out and in this way we impress something into the World. This is can only lead to the Good if it aligns with the Divine Will which is the blueprint for Cosmic evolution.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Relevant to our discussion about the spiritual influences of food and nutrition, I came across the following through the Aether Force website. Douglas and Tyla Gabriel seem pretty well rooted in Anthroposophy and Waldorf education, where healthy child nutrition is highly emphasized. They share an 'ascension diet' with 8 octaves that are supposed to work through and strengthen the chakra organs.

Beyond that, however, I have little idea whether it may be a spiritually healthy way to proceed. Some of the topics include the sort of water to drink, 'bowel consciousness', liver flushes, thyroid health, heavy metals flush, ionic toothbrushes, mineral baths, and other such things. I will post the website and brief captions for each step of Octave 1 here. It would be nice to hear if anyone has greater experiential insights into these methods.

I will say that it does seem to be emphasizing a bottom-up chakra progression, whereas my understanding of modern initiation is that we want to generally work from the top-down, from the brow to larynx to heart. Perhaps our nutritional and hygiene work can progress from the bottom-up while our sensory-thinking work can progress from the top-down and meet in the middle, so to speak?

https://www.ourspirit.com/ascension-diet

Octave 1.1

Key Lessons: self-assessment, clean water, fluoride, metals & minerals, Himalayan salt, pineal gland

The foundation chakra is the fulcrum of the spine which provides uprightness and the ability to stand with equilibrium, freeing the hands for deeds only a human can do. The upright posture of the human being also frees the head to rest atop the body with the brain floating freely in cerebrospinal fluid. From foundation chakra to crown chakra, the upward motion of energy in the human body needs to begin upon a solid and stable foundation. It is the solidity of the earth beneath our feet that provides the resistance for humans to press downward with gravity while at the same time freeing the human to ascend through the chakras with levity.

Octave 1.2

Key Lessons: living water, EMFs & 5G, organics, consciousness

The Creation Chakra is a gift of the gods to humans that share the responsibility of creation. Humans are gods when they help create a new body that can temporarily house an immortal human spirit. This gift is so powerful that few humans have understood the genesis and evolution of human procreation. Power lies in the second chakra and its mysteries, the mysteries of life that have yet to be fathomed.

Octave 1.3

Key Lessons: bowel consciousness, enzymes, Pottenger cats, food irradiation, soil & seeds, biodynamics, permaculture

This power, or energy, is called the “fierce woman” or the “fire in the belly” that is used to heat the three energy channels running up the spine. Each chakra adds to the energy that coils through its petals bringing forces of fire and levity that transmute the material energy of the world into a more refined energy used by the chakras.

Octave 1.4

Key Lessons: liver health, Andreas Moritz liver flush, sonic geometry

The Solar Plexus Chakra controls digestion which is the source of nutrition for the body. The liver, gallbladder, pancreas and intestines work together to take the flames of the Hara and use them to burn and digest food as a source for human energy that can lead to consciousness. Good food provides the basic material that is broken down and turned into specifically human bio-energy. It is not the food that provides the direct energy, it is the process of digestion and the total annihilation of the food that causes the human body to take the digested substance and turn it into a new substance that can be assimilated into the biological energy of the human body.

Octave 1.5

Key Lessons: heart, colloidal silver water, white and ascension cells, essential fatty acids, endocrine system

The Heart Chakra is where the progressive aspirant begins the spiritual path after “taming” the lower chakras and bringing them into alignment. Through an alchemical process of transforming the four basic elements into higher, more refined and ionized elements the aspirant climbs the rungs of the ladder that leads to spiritual development.

Octave 1.6

Key Lessons: urine and saliva pH, baking soda uses, candida buster recipe, iodine, thyroid health

The warm air of the Hara Chakra is refined now in the Throat Chakra through the heart’s transformation of the outer world into a “blaze of meaning and wonder” that arises from human speech. Speech gave birth to thinking by naming things and thus meaning and understanding became possible. This type of outer consciousness spans the realm of air and carries with it the higher passions of the heart to spiritually develop and ascend to the spiritual realms.

Octave 1.7

Key Lessons: toxic and heavy metals flush, dangers of vaccines, ionic toothbrush, mineral baths

The Brow Chakra has been symbolized as a bolt of lightning or a rainbow bridge that can carry the aspirant into the spiritual world. There is always water involved in this process as oxygen is the substance that must be ionized to add to carbon and nitrogen. A new fluidity of light and sound comes to life in this chakra. Fluid waves of sounding images fill the aspirant as the Brow Chakra is aligned with all of the chakras below. The plasma of the heart ignites the air of space with meaning in the throat while the fluidity of the brow unites the meaning of light with wisdom that contains all.

Octave 1.8

Key Lessons: calcium supplementation, pineal gland, magnesium oil, vitamin D, St. Germain Inspired Oatmeal, masters and avatars

When Imagination and Inspiration unite together, Intuition has the possibility to alight. Intuition causes all of the transformed substances and soul forces to vibrate in resonance with the divine. It is the fulfillment of the efforts of the aspirant. Once the aspirant can raise these forces consciously up the central channels and deposit calcium carbonate crystals in the pineal gland, the accompanying lightning bolts of the spiritual world flashes through the mid-brain down to the pituitary gland causing it to excrete the nectar of the gods. These processes of the cosmic and earthly nutrition streams connect us to the higher hierarchies as symbiotic partners in spiritual evolution. We feed the gods and the gods feed us.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:45 am Relevant to our discussion about the spiritual influences of food and nutrition, I came across the following through the Aether Force website. Douglas and Tyla Gabriel seem pretty well rooted in Anthroposophy and Waldorf education, where healthy child nutrition is highly emphasized. They share an 'ascension diet' with 8 octaves that are supposed to work through and strengthen the chakra organs.

Beyond that, however, I have little idea whether it may be a spiritually healthy way to proceed. Some of the topics include the sort of water to drink, 'bowel consciousness', liver flushes, thyroid health, heavy metals flush, ionic toothbrushes, mineral baths, and other such things. I will post the website and brief captions for each step of Octave 1 here. It would be nice to hear if anyone has greater experiential insights into these methods.

I will say that it does seem to be emphasizing a bottom-up chakra progression, whereas my understanding of modern initiation is that we want to generally work from the top-down, from the brow to larynx to heart. Perhaps our nutritional and hygiene work can progress from the bottom-up while our sensory-thinking work can progress from the top-down and meet in the middle, so to speak?

Octave 1.1

Key Lessons: self-assessment, clean water, fluoride, metals & minerals, Himalayan salt, pineal gland

The foundation chakra is the fulcrum of the spine which provides uprightness and the ability to stand with equilibrium, freeing the hands for deeds only a human can do. The upright posture of the human being also frees the head to rest atop the body with the brain floating freely in cerebrospinal fluid. From foundation chakra to crown chakra, the upward motion of energy in the human body needs to begin upon a solid and stable foundation. It is the solidity of the earth beneath our feet that provides the resistance for humans to press downward with gravity while at the same time freeing the human to ascend through the chakras with levity.
Ashvin,

Thanks for bringing attention to nutrition again. It's a vast topic and I definitely feel there's a lot I don't know about the various elements and how they interact with our physiology. Reading the first part, Octave 1.1. I have to admit, when I read messages such as "the Earth's global controllers do not want us to know the big secret, the miraculous capacity of the chakra system", I become suspicious. I don't want to judge the spiritual content, since I don't have the adequate knowledge to, but I am reluctant to wholeheartedly trust this course. This also depends on other details. An intro such as this for example: "Discovering this summit is heaven on earth. We found it and offer you the same pathway to find it within yourself. Please, let us be your Spiritual Sherpas and show you a pathway to higher knowledge that has blessed us in countless ways." Doesn't this sound odd? Then I clicked on one of the videos, it leads to a commercial for a protein supplement brand. Maybe this is a hasty judgment, but what did you think about these things?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:41 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:45 am Relevant to our discussion about the spiritual influences of food and nutrition, I came across the following through the Aether Force website. Douglas and Tyla Gabriel seem pretty well rooted in Anthroposophy and Waldorf education, where healthy child nutrition is highly emphasized. They share an 'ascension diet' with 8 octaves that are supposed to work through and strengthen the chakra organs.

Octave 1.1

Ashvin,

Thanks for bringing attention to nutrition again. It's a vast topic and I definitely feel there's a lot I don't know about the various elements and how they interact with our physiology. Reading the first part, Octave 1.1. I have to admit, when I read messages such as "the Earth's global controllers do not want us to know the big secret, the miraculous capacity of the chakra system", I become suspicious. I don't want to judge the spiritual content, since I don't have the adequate knowledge to, but I am reluctant to wholeheartedly trust this course. This also depends on other details. An intro such as this for example: "Discovering this summit is heaven on earth. We found it and offer you the same pathway to find it within yourself. Please, let us be your Spiritual Sherpas and show you a pathway to higher knowledge that has blessed us in countless ways." Doesn't this sound odd? Then I clicked on one of the videos, it leads to a commercial for a protein supplement brand. Maybe this is a hasty judgment, but what did you think about these things?

Federica,

I try not to think too much about the varying ways in which these spiritual ideas are expressed. I started out with Steiner, Scaligero, and so forth, so I am also taken aback sometimes by less philosophical-scientific ways of speaking about things. But I have started discovering there are many Anthroposophers (not to mention extra-Anthroposophical thinkers) who approach the ideas from all sorts of different constellations of disposition, experience, beliefs, etc. Generally, I think we should be working towards an inner stance where these variances don't phase us too much, where we can pay attention to the substantial content and reason through it effectively. That doesn't mean we have to ignore the overarching moods of thinkers, either. If we notice their content is consistently structured by a mood of mystical reduction, for ex., then we can take note of that and use it as a tool to understand their ideas. But so far I have not come across any such moods in their work. If anything, it seems they are focused mostly on the Divine Feminine like many people these days, and for good reasons.

I would also note that most (if not all) of the content on that website seems to be offered for free. It is a rare thing when people write books, develop detailed dietary programs, produce lengthy and informative videos, and offer it all for free, where we may only have to endure commercials once in a while. They also have a page that states as follows:
The Gospel of Sophia and Our Spirit are intended for spiritual initiates only. If you are not on an esoteric path of conscious, self-directed initiation, the contents of these esoteric materials may not resonate with you at this time on your spiritual journey. How will you know if you are a spiritual initiate? Please read the materials offered on this site. If they stir your soul and spirit, you will know that you, the student, are ready, and a teacher has appeared.

There are no gurus, priests, or masters on a path of self-initiation. If anyone approaches you as a "leader" of the Sisters of Sophia or Our Spirit movement, please be advised that we hold the view that the path of modern initiation lies in self-initiation.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:11 pm
Federica wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:41 pm

Octave 1.1

Ashvin,

Federica,

I try not to think too much about the varying ways in which these spiritual ideas are expressed. I started out with Steiner, Scaligero, and so forth, so I am also taken aback sometimes by less philosophical-scientific ways of speaking about things. But I have started discovering there are many Anthroposophers (not to mention extra-Anthroposophical thinkers) who approach the ideas from all sorts of different constellations of disposition, experience, beliefs, etc. Generally, I think we should be working towards an inner stance where these variances don't phase us too much, where we can pay attention to the substantial content and reason through it effectively. That doesn't mean we have to ignore the overarching moods of thinkers, either. If we notice their content is consistently structured by a mood of mystical reduction, for ex., then we can take note of that and use it as a tool to understand their ideas. But so far I have not come across any such moods in their work. If anything, it seems they are focused mostly on the Divine Feminine like many people these days, and for good reasons.

I would also note that most (if not all) of the content on that website seems to be offered for free. It is a rare thing when people write books, develop detailed dietary programs, produce lengthy and informative videos, and offer it all for free, where we may only have to endure commercials once in a while. They also have a page that states as follows:
The Gospel of Sophia and Our Spirit are intended for spiritual initiates only. If you are not on an esoteric path of conscious, self-directed initiation, the contents of these esoteric materials may not resonate with you at this time on your spiritual journey. How will you know if you are a spiritual initiate? Please read the materials offered on this site. If they stir your soul and spirit, you will know that you, the student, are ready, and a teacher has appeared.

There are no gurus, priests, or masters on a path of self-initiation. If anyone approaches you as a "leader" of the Sisters of Sophia or Our Spirit movement, please be advised that we hold the view that the path of modern initiation lies in self-initiation.

Ashvin,

I agree, the mood can come from many different directions and reasons, it shouldn't be primary to form an opinion. And I agree that a free resource is generous. However, the problem I see with the commercial is not that they monetize videos. That would be no problem indeed, but this is not the case. The problem is that they use entire promotional videos as tenets of their approach, to justify the necessity to use Himalayan salt, in that case.

But even if we disregard that, and only look at the essence of the advice and recommendations provided, I find that there are very scarce explanations. If we compare, say, with a Steiner course, there is a world of difference. I am reading the second part now. They tell us "do this, don't do that" and it's basically it. Don't drink soda, don't drink water with acidic ingredients (no lemon water?) Do add this and that to your water. One has to believe the advice. Then they rely on external links to support their recommendations. Have you watched the Kundalini video? I watched the first ten minutes or so, I dropped on the animation of Adam and Eve looking like Lara Croft and Indiana Jones :) I wouldn't call this a course. It is more like a collection of precepts.