Spiritual science of Martinus

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Spiritual science of Martinus

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm I believe you are abstracting a supposed polarity thinking-thought as if it went parallel to the spiritual-physical polarity? But I don’t see any "one ever expanding Thought". Thoughts can only be fragmented. That’s why we have to keep them at bay, we have to keep the fragments out of the way, by concentrating on only one tiny point, and that’s the only way to trace back to the unity of thinking. Besides what Ashvin says about livingly inhabiting the meaning of polarity, maybe you hold this view because you have not tried to consider thinking as X1 (or X1-X2 if you prefer) ‘above’ (not prior to) all else, which includes the manifested-perceptual, which includes thoughts-pictures?

By the way, as Ashvin says, it is straining :)

My 2 cents here would be that this is resolved if we understand all created forms as vectors of 'Thought', including the forms which precipitate from the activity of imagination, inspiration, and intuition (more integrated temporal forms). In the stream of evolution, Thought begins as dead and fragmented 'dust' in the human consciousness (when experienced entirely inwardly), but it then resurrects, becomes active, and expands unceasingly back into the living flow of Thinking. We are always dealing with a polarity of Thinking-Thought and the 'I' which mediates between them.

From Max's latest essay:
Anything that can be perceived, ipso facto, cannot be this thing and this power by which we are perceiving and conceiving and which we are attempting to take hold of. Everywhere I turn,3 I find everything but the one thing I seek. Thoughts, currents of intentionality, rays out before me like light from the sun, but their source is always behind the eye that seeks to behold them. “Withdraw into yourself,” Plotinus counsels, “and look.”4 This vision cannot be got behind of. But the vector of its seeing can be retraced.5 The task is, however, strenuous, as attempting to counter the current of a river, or to defy the action of a centrifuge. At the slightest lapse in attention and effort, one will be cast again into the outer darkness. Still, if the task is persisted with, the I will find itself backed into a corner against which it can back no further and from which his vision emanates as light from its origin. It seems impossible to “turn” further.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:04 pm
Federica wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm I believe you are abstracting a supposed polarity thinking-thought as if it went parallel to the spiritual-physical polarity? But I don’t see any "one ever expanding Thought". Thoughts can only be fragmented. That’s why we have to keep them at bay, we have to keep the fragments out of the way, by concentrating on only one tiny point, and that’s the only way to trace back to the unity of thinking. Besides what Ashvin says about livingly inhabiting the meaning of polarity, maybe you hold this view because you have not tried to consider thinking as X1 (or X1-X2 if you prefer) ‘above’ (not prior to) all else, which includes the manifested-perceptual, which includes thoughts-pictures?

My 2 cents here would be that this is resolved if we understand all created forms as vectors of 'Thought', including the forms which precipitate from the activity of imagination, inspiration, and intuition (more integrated temporal forms). In the stream of evolution, Thought begins as dead and fragmented 'dust' in the human consciousness (when experienced entirely inwardly), but it then resurrects, becomes active, and expands unceasingly back into the living flow of Thinking. We are always dealing with a polarity of Thinking-Thought and the 'I' which mediates between them.

From Max's latest essay:
Anything that can be perceived, ipso facto, cannot be this thing and this power by which we are perceiving and conceiving and which we are attempting to take hold of. Everywhere I turn,3 I find everything but the one thing I seek. Thoughts, currents of intentionality, rays out before me like light from the sun, but their source is always behind the eye that seeks to behold them. “Withdraw into yourself,” Plotinus counsels, “and look.”4 This vision cannot be got behind of. But the vector of its seeing can be retraced.5 The task is, however, strenuous, as attempting to counter the current of a river, or to defy the action of a centrifuge. At the slightest lapse in attention and effort, one will be cast again into the outer darkness. Still, if the task is persisted with, the I will find itself backed into a corner against which it can back no further and from which his vision emanates as light from its origin. It seems impossible to “turn” further.

Yes, I read the essay, but is it a matter of vocabulary? I believe this is the first time I see you spell Thought with capital T, and speak about it in such "progressive" terms? I always thought that you (and Max Leyf) were speaking of a resurrection of Thinking, not a resureection of Thought. But do you mean you agree with Scott when he says the following? (I don't think so)

Scott wrote:My issue, then, is with saying the creator is prior to the created. That thinking is prior to any thought. (And, as an idealist, I consider "creating" and "thinking" to be synonyms.) Without a created there is no creator. It is the case that my thought "What shall I have for dinner?", considered by itself, is not God. But does it exist "by itself"? No. It exists in relation to other thoughts, which in turn are related to others, and those relations are themselves thoughts.... In short, there is only one ever-expanding Thought (Created), which is in polar relation to the power to Think Create), so I would say the latter is not prior to The Thought.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Stranger wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:01 pm
Martinus wrote:The eternal nature of the Godhead and all living beings is described here as a triune principle: an I - "X1", the super-consciousness and the ability to create and experience - "X2", and the body that the I has created - which is a tool enabling it to create and experience - "X3". ... The colored triangles attached to them show the eternal organ structure and the ability to use the basic energies to create in the temporal world.

These three aspects (X1,X2,X3) cannot exist as separate entities, they are aspects of one internally indivisible triune principle. As the trinity - the Father, the Son and the Holy spirit - is the fundamental concept in traditional Christianity, in the third Testament it is expressed in the following way:

The Father - the eternal Godhead of the universe. A totally unmoving perfect stillness constitutes all living beings' innermost I and fixed point - X1. The creator, the originator of what is created and therefore beyond the boundaries of time and space.

The Son - the Godhead's ability to create and experience that divides up God's eternal, omnipresent, infinite I into "the many", into an infinite number of eternal "sons of God" - X2.

The Holy Spirit - God's consciousness and organism - X3.

... The organism is made up of living microindividuals each on with its own ability to experience. This is repeated upwards and downwards into infinity. In this way we are also contained within macrocosmos which consists of larger and larger organisms. The macrobeing provides us with out outer living environment (Nature) while the microbeing provides us with our physical organism. At one and the same time everything consists of a unity. "In him we live, and move, and have our being" (Acts 17:28)
Here we can see how in Martinus view the nested hierarchy of the Cosmos is reconciled with oneness and with the fact that we are all directly the "sons of God" and share the same universal Divine I. This is because the nested hierarchy does exist with all its vertical structure of the universe, but only in the aspect of X3 - in the structure of the cosmic organism. At the same time, in the aspects of X1 and X2 the connectedness and fundamental identity of each microbeing to the Godhead is direct and immediate - all beings share the same universal I (Essence of Being) and the same essential/fundamental ability to create and experience (Thinking). And so, in the aspects of X1 and X2 the structure is flat and we are all united into oneness of One I ("being one with the Father" of which Christ taught), while in the aspect of X3 we function as spiritual activities nested within the hierarchically structured cosmic organism.
Eugene, I'm not sure X3 is only organism/tool. I understand X3 is "eternal reality", the whole of reality. X1 and X2 are the common creative principle that constitutes every being, but I don't believe in Martinus such intersection is all there is to the human I. I will have to read further...
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:58 pm
AshvinP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:04 pm

From Max's latest essay:

Yes, I read the essay, but is it a matter of vocabulary? I believe this is the first time I see you spell Thought with capital T, and speak about it in such "progressive" terms? I always thought that you (and Max Leyf) were speaking of a resurrection of Thinking, not a resureection of Thought. But do you mean you agree with Scott when he says the following? (I don't think so)

Scott wrote:My issue, then, is with saying the creator is prior to the created. That thinking is prior to any thought. (And, as an idealist, I consider "creating" and "thinking" to be synonyms.) Without a created there is no creator. It is the case that my thought "What shall I have for dinner?", considered by itself, is not God. But does it exist "by itself"? No. It exists in relation to other thoughts, which in turn are related to others, and those relations are themselves thoughts.... In short, there is only one ever-expanding Thought (Created), which is in polar relation to the power to Think Create), so I would say the latter is not prior to The Thought.

Yes, I agree with the above quote. To put it crudely:

Thinking activity lays down layers upon layers of Thought-form through involution, which in esotericism we know as the various planes, ethers, elements, sheaths, and physical perceptions, which includes durations of Time-experience (ages, epochs, etc.). Here our entire temporally extended personality can be understood as a Thought-form. At a certain point, Thinking activity itself dies fully into its creation, into its Thought (MoG). It thereby imbues its created mirror images with new life. Thought awakens from its enchantment in abstract space and begins to move again, to become temporally active, fluid, and mobile, and it spirals back into unity with Thinking activity. Which is to also say, it progressively re-awakens to its unity with Thinking activity. These are how the poles eternally work into one another through the sacrificial Love of the 'I'.

Although you know this already, I feel like it should always be added, the real work is to realize this dynamic more and more concretely within ourselves, so that we are actually participating in this resurrection of Thought in attunement with the most proximate intents to fulfill. For ex., there will come a time when the spoken word is no longer prosaic, dry, and dusty, but will actually carry forth living forces which can work right into the very organic structures of the mineral and plant kingdoms (for better or for worse). These are the sorts of stakes and ideals a living spiritual scientific path can set before us to reawaken our thought-thinking. I think Martinus is also referencing these monumental developments in his evolutionary outlook, although perhaps not with as much resolution and specificity.

Steiner wrote:If in the light of this we study the first verse, “In the very beginning was the word,” we might represent the state of affairs pictorially by the following comparison. Before we utter a word, this word lives in us as thought. It lives within us. When the word is uttered the air around us is set in motion; vibrations are produced. If we imagine these vibrations condensed and hardened in some way, we should see the words fall to the ground as forms and figures; we should perceive the creative power of the word with our eyes. If the word is already creative now, it will be much more so in the future.

[Man's creative power: heart and larynx]

Man already possesses organs which will only attain their full significance in the future; he also possesses others which are already in decline. To the latter belong the organs of reproduction, to the former the heart and the larynx, for these are only at the beginning of their development. At the present time the heart is an involuntary muscle, although it has transverse fibers like all voluntary muscles. These transverse fibers are an indication that the heart is in the process of transition from an involuntary to a voluntary organ. The larynx is destined to be the human organ of reproduction in a distant future, strange as this may sound at present. Just as Man, by means of speech, can already transpose his thoughts into vibrations of the air, he will in the future be able to create his own image by means of the word.

The 'Very Beginnings' already possessed this creative power at the outset of the evolution of our world and can therefore be rightly looked upon as divine Beings. At the beginning of the evolution of the Earth a divine Word was uttered, and this has become mineral, plant, animal and Man.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Stranger wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:56 am
ScottRoberts wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:49 am God and World are not identical, tautologically or otherwise. They are a polarity.
OK, I would think that it's just another form of pantheism, because being a polarity, they are still existentially equal (one is no other than the other), while in panentheism God is existentially prior to the World (the World is God but God is more than the World). So, in panentheism God and the World are not a polarity, but an existential/ontological hierarchy.
How do you get from "one is not prior to the other" to "existentially equal (one is no other than the other)"? Yes, they are on the same ontological level (like the north and south poles of a magnet) but how does that translate that they are "the same" as pantheism claims? Polarity is not "just another form of pantheism". Rather it is a very different way of thinking about God and World, namely, to say they, though different, are on the same ontological level in a way that avoids dualism, and avoids falling off the Middle Way. Which, in my view, is what happens when one prioritizes one over the other. Which leads me back to my question: why prioritize? Isn't doing that just being dogmatic?
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

ScottRoberts wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:47 pm How do you get from "one is not prior to the other" to "existentially equal (one is no other than the other)"? Yes, they are on the same ontological level (like the north and south poles of a magnet) but how does that translate that they are "the same" as pantheism claims? Polarity is not "just another form of pantheism". Rather it is a very different way of thinking about God and World, namely, to say they, though different, are on the same ontological level in a way that avoids dualism, and avoids falling off the Middle Way. Which, in my view, is what happens when one prioritizes one over the other. Which leads me back to my question: why prioritize? Isn't doing that just being dogmatic?
Well, in your formulation "oneness is no other than manyness, manyness is no other than oneness" it literally states that one is no other than the other, so that's why I re-phrased them as "ontologically equal". So, if you claim that they are not ontologically equal, but are a polarity on the same existential level, then your formula "oneness is no other than manyness, manyness is no other than oneness" is not longer relevant.

Another point is the principle of ontological monism to which your scheme does not fit. The intuition in monism is that there is one ontological "substance" ("substratum", "media", or "essence") which is the same everywhere in the world and of which all things in the world are made. Most philosophical schemes - materialism, idealism, neutral monism and others, follow this principle (except for Descartes kind of mind-matter dualism). If you postulate two "poles" that interact with each other, then there must be some common "media" of which they are both "made of" and through which they interact. Two "poles" with different ontological nature/substance could not interact with each other. And that brings us back to monism - even if you have two poles, there must be some common "substance" or "media" of which these two poles are "composed" so to speak. In dual-aspect monism they follow the same logic - postulate a common ontological "neutral" substrate from which two aspects (matter and consciousness) emerge. So, in your scheme, if you want to keep it monistic, you would also arrive to some common substratum, but if you don't want to assume the common substratum, then how would you account for the existence of two "poles" that interact with each other? In the magnet the north and south poles are polar properties of the same substance/substratum - the magnet. If you remove the magnet/substratum, how could two poles exist and interact? In Buddhism there is a common metaphor that you can find in many sutras: "On the island of gold everything is made of gold", that is the principle of monism expressed in a metaphoric language.

By the way, the Middle way (Madhyamaka) was originally related to avoiding the extremes of eternalism (the idea that things exists as eternal "entities") and nihilism (the idea that nothing exists at all). So it is not existence in general that was denied in Madhyamaka, but only the existence of "entities" ("selves" in people or objects) as separate and eternal realities.
Last edited by Stranger on Mon May 01, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the ocean in a drop" Rumi
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:08 pm A note on the concept of polarity - it's interesting to observe how it acts as a prompting. We should feel that it is straining the intellect to think through. It basically says to us, 'what you're dealing with here is nothing like you have ever come across in standard thought of philosophy, science, theology, etc. - now that you have unwound the classical categorizations or 'camps' in your thought by way of this concept, it is time to seek out the inner experience of polarity in your own willed thinking'. At that point, if we still feel it is adequate to use the traditional labels to categorize, then we have not understood or heeded the prompting of the polarity concept.
Right. The normal intellect cannot understand tetralemmic polarity. But one can, so to speak, "get used to it", as a famous physicist said of quantum physics "nobody understands it, you just get used to it". And, for ontology that is all one needs, bearing in mind that ontology is only an intellectual exercise. It serves to clear out a lot of undergrowth.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:48 pm Yes, I agree with the above quote. To put it crudely:

Thinking activity lays down layers upon layers of Thought-form through involution, which in esotericism we know as the various planes, ethers, elements, sheaths, and physical perceptions, which includes durations of Time-experience (ages, epochs, etc.). Here our entire temporally extended personality can be understood as a Thought-form. At a certain point, Thinking activity itself dies fully into its creation, into its Thought (MoG). It thereby imbues its created mirror images with new life. Thought awakens from its enchantment in abstract space and begins to move again, to become temporally active, fluid, and mobile, and it spirals back into unity with Thinking activity. Which is to also say, it progressively re-awakens to its unity with Thinking activity. These are how the poles eternally work into one another through the sacrificial Love of the 'I'.

Although you know this already, I feel like it should always be added, the real work is to realize this dynamic more and more concretely within ourselves, so that we are actually participating in this resurrection of Thought in attunement with the most proximate intents to fulfill.

Ashvin,

Not sure how crudely put that was. Probably what follows will be infinitely more crude, because in fact, I still don't get it :) Why is "Thought", with capital T, that which awakens from its enchantment, and not the activity of Thinking that metamorphoses? Thought is the incessantly created, manifested, impermanent, and thought - as long as, and to the extent that, it will exist as such - will still be the mirror of that which we are not spiritually seeing, correct? It cannot be enlivened as such, but only transformed, redeemed, progressively transcended, through living thinking. The more thinking (not thought) will become "temporally active, fluid and mobile", the less thought and physicality will be around, I would imagine?
In this connection I was conceiving the poles of a polarity as competing attractors along the path of becoming, that at the same time repel each other, and that we need to balance and integrate by realizing their synthesis, or spiraling. Like for instance the poles of mystic and materialistic tendencies. But now, if we see Thought as the polar opposite of Thinking, that would be a concept of polarity exactly orthogonal to the previous. Now we have to transform one pole into the other, rather than keeping them both alive and in balance. In other words, I thought of polarity as a West-East thing while we are moving North. But you're saying that South-North itself - as we are heading North - also is a polarity?
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

I read something in Martinus and it resembles
Steiner's writings.
Both postulate that we are in a spiritual development. Martinus says that the goal of evolution is to perfect man and eliminate animal nature in order to bring about the perfect man on earth. Thus we manifest God's will, or in other words we carry out his will. We manifest the Kingdom of God. God's will will also be done if people don't consciously evolve, but it becomes more painful from the people's perspective.

Martinus says that initiation cannot be forced or achieved, but occurs when man is ready. It is emphasized that there can be dangers in meditating because one can experience certain things that one is not prepared for. This can lead to insanity and many other fatal conditions. In order not to aggravate the dangers, he says that we should take the Lord's Prayer as a meditation object, since it was given to mankind by the Master of Masters (Christ). The structure of prayer ensures that all harmful elements (e.g. egoism) do not appear in prayer. He says that angels perceive it when someone says this prayer and we can connect to the father through it.

The path to initiation must be done in humility, which he describes as a perception of our imperfection or unevolved nature.
In addition, behind every world appearance there is a being which manifests it, this is also the case with steiner.

I must emphasize that I can only reflect my understanding of him here in text form.
His teaching is very extensive and requires further study. I am completely new myself.
I find that he is more understandable than Steiner.
Thank you Eugene for pointing us all out to him.
~Only true love can heal broken hearts~
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

Federica wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:19 pm Scott, I don’t think there’s any translation issue (I’ve checked, Danish and Swedish are very similar). The translation is not beautiful, but it is accurate. In particular, the word “analysis” is the same (analyse) in Danish.
Scott wrote:First, what is "its analysis"? Who's analysis? Maybe it's a translation problem. But mainly, I don't understand what he means by X3. Isn't the "result of [living beings'] manifestation and creation what he earlier said is impermanent, i.e., not eternal? The terminological issue here is to call "creating" a faculty of X1. Rather, I would say it is X1.

I would understand Martinus' word “analysis” as ‘qualities’, like the qualities of experience. So I believe he is saying: “That “something” that we call the I cannot in itself bear any qualities.” He means that qualities are proper to manifested phenomena only. The qualities of the created organism cannot identify the creator of the organism. I would further translate:

The condition of eternity in which this “something” is, this condition is its quality (analysis). But this quality can only be nameless, and will then only come to expression as X1."

Here I will make a short digression, to come to the meaning I believe Martinus is trying to express by the use of nameless X1. In the post “how the world began, in “w-a-t-e-r” and in spirit”, Max Leyf illustrates how the experience of perception narrated by deafblind Helen, confirms how intelligible sensory perception, far from being standalone and objective, depends on concepts and their expression in words:
Max Leyf wrote:Helen Keller’s testimony shows us that without language, there is no world for us, only an immediate sensory environment. She says this much herself: “Before my teacher came to me, I did not know that I am. I lived in a world that was a no-world.
Just as “water” remains imperceptible to Helen Keller until she had grasped the word for it and, by extension, the concept or idea of it, so “the world” is not perceptible to us until we perform a similar task. Just as ideas share in the nature of things, so things share in the nature of ideas and that is why the world is intelligible to us (...). Humans, without ceasing to inhabit an environment, can begin to occupy a world, but that is not a genetic inheritance but a cultural and spiritual one. That means that every individual must realize or actualize this inheritance in his or her own lifetime. It is perhaps in undertaking this task that we also begin to undertake the Great Work, or magnum opus of the alchemists: namely, the forging of the self. Again, Helen Keller’s account illustrates what each of us accomplishes in our own way:
When I learned the meaning of “I” and “me” and found that I was something, I began to think. Then consciousness first existed for me.

So I believe Martinus decides not to give any name to X1, in order to avoid equating it to a perceived phenomenon, or thing, with qualities. For this reason, X1 is the name-less and concept-less condition of eternity of the I.
Ok, though I would say it has many names (formlessness, emptiness, the void, concept-less).
X2 is X1’s equally eternal creating capacity. And just as X1-X2, as structure of the Godhead, is the origin(ator) of reality, so X1-X2, as structure of the I too, is the origin(ator) of reality. Reality therefore has to be referred to as X3.
X3 is the eternal result of the Godhead’s creating capacity, and also the result of the creating capacity of the I. And the living beings you and I are (constituted by the I with its created manifestations) acquire eternity by the fact that they are the same as the inseparable unity of the three Xs, just like the Godhead is the same as the inseparable unity of the three Xs.
(incidentally, here is where I think Eugene can find a more explicit "nondual touch and feel")

That was as for my attempt to clarify what I believe Martinus says.
As for your issue with the creator nor preceding creation, I don’t think Martinus states that the creator is prior to the created. Rather he says: the creator is eternal, the created is its impermanent manifestation.
Do you agree with Martinus? I don't. First, I see no reason to posit a formless X1, and then add to it a "creative capacity". I would just say there is creating. One then can note that creating is a polar activity, the mutual opposition and determination of formlessness and form.
You say: “without a created there is no creator” - no, because creating/thinking is a verb, an evolution, a time-immersion, off of, or out of, eternity.
While I would say that time and eternity are polar. And I have no problem with thinking of the Divine as a verb.
You say: “there is only one ever-expanding Thought (Created), which is in polar relation to the power to Think Create), so I would say the latter is not prior to The Thought.” - I don’t think so. I don’t get the polar relation thinking-thought. Rather, thought is the arbitrary precipitation of thinking activity in the individual perceptual spectrum. Thinking has to die, become stripped of its creative living capacity, and fall into standard perception as hyper-fragmented and dry” thinking dust” mixed in, and smeared all over, the screen of our experience, together with the rest of our perceptual flow (feeling, willing, sensing). There is a structural imbalance between thinking and thought.
Strictly speaking (which I haven't always been doing) I do not name "thinking/thought" as the polarity. Rather I name the poles as "the power to think/thoughts", and "thinking" as the name for the polarity. The structural imbalance you speak of is because we perceive our thoughts as if they were isolated from all that they relate to, which is, in the end, everything. With higher cognition, or so I imagine, thoughts are not perceived as isolated, or at least not to the degree that they are in normal cognition.
I believe you are abstracting a supposed polarity thinking-thought as if it went parallel to the spiritual-physical polarity? But I don’t see any "one ever expanding Thought". Thoughts can only be fragmented. That’s why we have to keep them at bay, we have to keep the fragments out of the way, by concentrating on only one tiny point, and that’s the only way to trace back to the unity of thinking. Besides what Ashvin says about livingly inhabiting the meaning of polarity, maybe you hold this view because you have not tried to consider thinking as X1 (or X1-X2 if you prefer) ‘above’ (not prior to) all else, which includes the manifested-perceptual, which includes thoughts-pictures?
Well, I do consider thinking as the ontological prime, but, in my ontology, it is not 'above' all else. It is all else. Why should I think otherwise, if I add the idea of the One Thought? (Though, as I've said before, it might be better to say "ideational activity" rather than "thinking", as one tends to think of thinking as distinct from sensing, feeling, and willing.) And is not a purpose of concentrating on only one tiny point (by shutting up the many relations we already know) to reveal relations we don't already know (to archetypes, hidden prejudices, etc.)?