What Barfield Thought (Max Leyf and Landon Loftin)

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: What Barfield Thought (Max Leyf and Landon Loftin)

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:18 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:15 pm
Federica wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:44 pm

Thanks for the kind note, Luke :)
If I may, no worries about these things!

For my part I think it's unlikely. He probably knows Steiner, but Steiner would bring him to unstable terrain, in contradiction with his philosophy and with the purposes of Essentia foundation. He's now locked into a role...

I once asked BK a question relating to higher cognition and mentioned Steiner, and got the impression that he had only briefly heard of Steiner, probably only in connection with occult 'woo-woo' science, rather than idealist philosophy. In his one and only appearance on this forum, he also gave the following answer to my question:
1) Are you familiar with Owen Barfield's and/or Jean Gebser's ideas on the "evolution of consciousness" (as described in Saving the Appearances and The Ever-Present Origin respectively) and, if so, do you find their arguments convincing and what implications would such a process have for your idealist position, specifically regarding any telos it may imply for collective human development?

I am familiar with both. My position on telos, motivated not only by my own pondering, but also those of Jung, Barfield, Gebser and others, is that nature seems to be driving, at tremendous cost in suffering and time, towards the development of meta-consciousness (a.k.a. self reflection, conscious metacognition, re-representation, self awareness, etc.) in both breadth and depth. This seems to be our role, and that of our suffering: to take explicit notice of nature and its unfolding, in the mirror of our reflections.
Anyway, reading Barfield and Steiner will hardly make a difference if he is only selectively using parts to reinforce his own analytic idealist position, without investigating the first-person experience of willed thinking activitt. He couldn't make the connection between what Barfield was discussing in StA and spiritual reality precisely for that reason. That is also why he doesn't make the connection that self-conscious ideation is not only the end or telos of evolution, but also its Origin. Once we investigate the inner life of our thinking activity, we realize that outer nature is simply the 'other side' of self-conscious spirit, i.e. what the latter looks like when it has been decohered and frozen in time through our convoluted intellectual cognition.

Maybe, if he received "What Barfield Thought" as mysterious present, he would be intrigued and he would read it. And if he read it, he would probably have to realize the first person perspective emerging from the whole of Barfield's work, and he would ponder that that wise thinker was an Anthroposophist....

What do you say, would that have an above zero chance of success? :)

That's actually not a bad idea. There's always a chance! So who is sending this mysterious present and where?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:20 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:15 pm

I once asked BK a question relating to higher cognition and mentioned Steiner, and got the impression that he had only briefly heard of Steiner, probably only in connection with occult 'woo-woo' science, rather than idealist philosophy. In his one and only appearance on this forum, he also gave the following answer to my question:

Anyway, reading Barfield and Steiner will hardly make a difference if he is only selectively using parts to reinforce his own analytic idealist position, without investigating the first-person experience of willed thinking activitt. He couldn't make the connection between what Barfield was discussing in StA and spiritual reality precisely for that reason. That is also why he doesn't make the connection that self-conscious ideation is not only the end or telos of evolution, but also its Origin. Once we investigate the inner life of our thinking activity, we realize that outer nature is simply the 'other side' of self-conscious spirit, i.e. what the latter looks like when it has been decohered and frozen in time through our convoluted intellectual cognition.

Maybe, if he received "What Barfield Thought" as mysterious present, he would be intrigued and he would read it. And if he read it, he would probably have to realize the first person perspective emerging from the whole of Barfield's work, and he would ponder that that wise thinker was an Anthroposophist....

That's actually not a bad idea. There's always a chance! So who is sending this mysterious present and where?

:) I would gladly send him a copy of the book! What do we write on the card? I am not finding the physical address of Essentia Foundation. I can search better, but if you happen to have a post address, please PM it.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:38 pm

:) I would gladly send him a copy of the book! What do we write on the card? I am not finding the physical address of Essentia Foundation. I can search better, but if you happen to have a post address, please PM it.

I can't locate any addresses for Essentia, either. It seems they are not yet accepting monetary donations, so no mailing address for that.

For now, I just posted on his FB page about reading the book and/or talking with the authors.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:11 pm

I can't locate any addresses for Essentia, either. It seems they are not yet accepting monetary donations, so no mailing address for that.

For now, I just posted on his FB page about reading the book and/or talking with the authors.
Oh... but in this way, it's not mysterious.. Let's try a little harder first :)
Does anyone have any cue?

What is the FB page - This one?
https://www.facebook.com/BernardoKastrup
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:31 pm

Yeah the book should still be mysteriously sent if a mailing address is found. Or perhaps we could send the Kindle version as a gift to some email address?

That's the FB page - I commented on a really old post related to Barfield (a talk with Mark Vernon), so I'm not even sure he will see it or pay it any attention.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:42 pm
Federica wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:31 pm

Yeah the book should still be mysteriously sent if a mailing address is found. Or perhaps we could send the Kindle version as a gift to some email address?

That's the FB page - I commented on a really old post related to Barfield (a talk with Mark Vernon), so I'm not even sure he will see it or pay it any attention.

No, I don't think kindle would have a chance.
LukeJTM

Post by LukeJTM »

Is Bernardo still doing those "Ask Me Anything" events online, or on Discord? If he is, then that could be a chance to bring up the book.
Federica

Post by Federica »

LukeJTM wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:03 pm Is Bernardo still doing those "Ask Me Anything" events online, or on Discord? If he is, then that could be a chance to bring up the book.
I don't know if there still are AMA, but maybe not, since the organizer used to post a note here, ahead of those sessions, and we haven't heard from him in a very long time.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Federica wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:33 pm
LukeJTM wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:03 pm Is Bernardo still doing those "Ask Me Anything" events online, or on Discord? If he is, then that could be a chance to bring up the book.
I don't know if there still are AMA, but maybe not, since the organizer used to post a note here, ahead of those sessions, and we haven't heard from him in a very long time.
Correction: I'm seeing on Essentia's Youtube channel that they have a Q&A on free will scheduled just today, as follow up to this video.

They also have a recent whole series of videos on QM and the first person perspective (I haven't watched it).
Federica

Post by Federica »

Coming back to the topic of this thread, for those who haven't yet watched it, there is this satisfying, real conversation on Barfield's Final Participation, its timeless meaning and how it counts for us today. Things are being gathered together masterfully, and one can actively participate in the appreciation of the occassion.