Possible agenda of Bernardo's "daemon"

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Martin_

Re: Possible agenda of Bernardo's "daemon"

Post by Martin_ »

Bernardo does a good job at poinitng at the infeasibility of materialism. That's the first step, to show how infeasible materialism is. Not until then will someone start looking around for alternatives. Anything that will help people with that - to take the first step - is helpful. The next step is to point towards an alternative direction. He does a good job in that as well. What currently is being disussed here belongs to step three in my opinion. The current subject matters in this forum is not a viable path to transforming the hearts and minds of modern materialistic culture since to most people it will dismiss it as "religious mumbo-jumbo."

And yes. If "this forum" means the ones most vocal at the moment, then you're right. I find it interesting how the ideas of the philosopher that caused the creation of this forum now is being dismissed as if not useless, then at least "uninteresting".

Once we get a critical mass of scientists proclaiming that materialism as an ontologiy doesn't make sense anymore, THEN we can start discussing the details. At least that's the only way I can see things changing for real.

Now sure, for an already "initiated" individual , the current subjects provide a rich ground for further exploration. I am not denying that. But to dismiss Dr. Kastrup so easily I think is too far of a step.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Martin_ wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:52 pm Bernardo does a good job at poinitng at the infeasibility of materialism. That's the first step, to show how infeasible materialism is. Not until then will someone start looking around for alternatives. Anything that will help people with that - to take the first step - is helpful. The next step is to point towards an alternative direction. He does a good job in that as well. What currently is being disussed here belongs to step three in my opinion. The current subject matters in this forum is not a viable path to transforming the hearts and minds of modern materialistic culture since to most people it will dismiss it as "religious mumbo-jumbo."

And yes. If "this forum" means the ones most vocal at the moment, then you're right. I find it interesting how the ideas of the philosopher that caused the creation of this forum now is being dismissed as if not useless, then at least "uninteresting".

Once we get a critical mass of scientists proclaiming that materialism as an ontologiy doesn't make sense anymore, THEN we can start discussing the details. At least that's the only way I can see things changing for real.

Now sure, for an already "initiated" individual , the current subjects provide a rich ground for further exploration. I am not denying that. But to dismiss Dr. Kastrup so easily I think is too far of a step.

What you are calling "infeasible", is better called "conceptually problematic". Yes, it's easy enough to show materialism is conceptually problematic. But that doesn't make it infeasible. People can live their entire lives with problematic concepts and could care less as long as they are satiated, sheltered, comforted, and entertained. Materialistic culture and theoretical speculation still does all of that for them. It remains very much feasible, despite the "hard problem of consciousness" which is only a question for academics.

And that is the issue - the problem is conceived as one dealing with only the head (or surface layers of the mind), not the heart. It is felt that 'real change' comes by giving people an alternative platter of concepts to choose from. Then they will suddenly drop the materialistic thinking and way of life which is governed through the heart. I say that is an unreasonable expectation and the historical evidence supports that. On my end, this discussion isn't about initation right now. It's about the very first step, which is correctly diagnosing the problem of materialistic thinking. Until that is done, I don't see how any other positive steps towards healing the problem can be taken.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
xzardozx

Post by xzardozx »

Just wanted to point out that my original post was not really about changing the world so much as bringing forth what is inside you and clearing a path for God's Kingdom. Both of those things happen on the INSIDE because It's all an Inside Job. Our sole purpose in this life is individual Spiritual Evolution. The world will change according to God's schedule. And obviously Schopenhauer is in no condition to engage in Youtube debates with materialists at the moment.
xzardozx

Post by xzardozx »

xzardozx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:30 am
Federica wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:57 pm

Yes, I have missed it, but I would like to watch it :D would you please provide the link?
Here you go (he starts talking about the daemon at 1:34 timestamp -
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

xzardozx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 am Just wanted to point out that my original post was not really about changing the world so much as bringing forth what is inside you and clearing a path for God's Kingdom. Both of those things happen on the INSIDE because It's all an Inside Job. Our sole purpose in this life is individual Spiritual Evolution. The world will change according to God's schedule. And obviously Schopenhauer is in no condition to engage in Youtube debates with materialists at the moment.

I'm still not clear on how making mincemeat of people on YouTube makes the paths straight for the Spirit in our individual or collective evolution.

Also, you mentioned you are an esoteric Christian and you also see the value in idealism. So, if God's scheduled intents for changing the world are of idea-nature, can we cognitively discern these intents and participate in manifesting them? Can our individual evolution be united with the World evolution?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
xzardozx

Post by xzardozx »

Yes, that's the whole idea!
Federica

Post by Federica »

xzardozx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:00 am
xzardozx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:30 am
Federica wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:57 pm

Yes, I have missed it, but I would like to watch it :D would you please provide the link?
Here you go (he starts talking about the daemon at 1:34 timestamp -
OK, thanks, I've watched it. In that passage, Bernardo just confirms his usual views. He has personalized "the daimon" for convenience, as he says, supported by psychedelic experience, using it as a handle, but basically what he means by daimon is blind nature. He says he doesn't know what the daimon is, and the daimon itself doesn't know either. "The daimon is something done by Mind, but Mind doesn't know itself, Mind doesn’t know what’s going on". He adds, "if Mind knew what’s going on, why all this suffering? Why are we going through this? Our boss (Mind@large) doesn’t know the answer, the boss is confused.." Etc etc.
So he doesn't go past the swirls of his own soul, enhanced by psychedelic insights, putting himself at the forefront of "real research" because mind at large itself has no idea what's going on. It's only a big, instinctive beast that drags along poor bubbles of meta-consciousness like him, for its own forever unconscious historical purposes. I believe his long work history at ASML (a company in global quasi-monopolistic position, at the forefront of key IT research) has contributed to this self-image of pioneering researcher. Anyway, xzaedozx, we don't need to explore if Bernardo is preparing the way for the kingdom of God with this idea. I believe you have referenced it because this forum is called metakastrup and you made the reasonable assumption that people here support his philosophy, correct? This is actually not the case of everyone. Therefore, why not go directly the the topic you would like to bring forth, in terms of the inner work necessary to clear the path for God's kingdom? No need to take the long roundabout through Bernardo's theories.
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
xzardozx

Post by xzardozx »

I'd like offer you this anecdote I heard on the Theosophy channel on Youtube recently - One night, HPB (Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, founder of Theosophy) was working feverishly, transcribing messages from the Spirit. She had always maintained that her magnum opus, The Secret Doctrine, was not written by her but transcribed ("ghost-written" in the truest sense, you might say) and was the work of two Spirits - "Mahatmas", as she called them (or Ascended Masters). There is even a picture supposedly taken of the three of them together. She was in bad health and, on this particular night, was driven to exhaustion. Both she and her very concerned friends believed that she would die that night. In the morning, upon checking up on her, to their astonishment, they found her fresh as a daisy. She told them, "yeah, the Spirit fixed me up". They drove her to the point of death and then they fixed her up. Ultimate tests of faith for God's Prophets. Tribulations and suffering are essential for Eternal Spirits to experience from time to time on this dark and sad worldly plane - they are ennobling and revitalizing for the Spirit - eternity being quite a long, long time (though the 5th dimension is timeless in the Earthly sense, time is measured by stages of evolution of the Spirit). The depths of spiritual degradation actually make possible the heights of Spiritual Exaltation. since this is a universe of pure imagination made of nothing but metaphorical contrasts. Compare/contrast with Bernardo's daemon.
Federica

Post by Federica »

xzardozx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:00 pm (...)
oj oj oj oj oj.... it looks like there's a lot to discuss and your are going to be here for a while, hope you're not in a rush :)
Who are the Eternal Spirits?
Can you specify how "from time to time" works?
This is the goal towards which the sixth age of humanity will strive: the popularization of occult truth on a wide scale. That's the mission of this age and the society that unites spiritually has the task of bringing this occult truth to life everywhere and applying it directly. That's exactly what our age is missing.
xzardozx

Post by xzardozx »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Guess it may sound to some like I know what I'm talking about from 1st-hand experience and I do, to an extent. Yes, I talk to Spirits and yes, I "may" be ascending to Spirit. God laid me very low in this life to prevent me from becoming worldly. My childhood was catastrophic. All this started for me in earnest leading up to the election of 2016 when I was already 56 years old. The Spirit practically had to peal me off the floor in 2016, and began to temper me (banging on both sides (love/hate) of a piece of metal to make it stronger).