On Symbolic Ordering, Theology, and Hierarchical Mystagogy

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

On Symbolic Ordering, Theology, and Hierarchical Mystagogy

Post by AshvinP »

Federica,

I have drafted much of a response to some of your other posts, including an expansion on 'symbolic ordering', but I want to start by commenting on this one briefly and asking a question.

Federica wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:41 pm Yes, but we were discussing the institution, in its present worldly form, not the original spiritual stream. It's not difficult to picture that the stream of Esoteric Christianity as revealed by Steiner is in great harmony with the stream of the doctrine of the Church at its beginnings. They were almost indistinguishable then, I can imagine. But that was not the point. The point was their evolution into their present form.

Let me just be clear that I am never using a snapshot of existence to make any point about exploring spiritual reality, which is always a metamorphosing stream of activity. If we are discussing the possibility, path, and process of redeeming cultural institutions, then we are implicitly discussing the Divine-human stream of activity through which such institutions have evolved and will continue to evolve. That is what Steiner was discussing as well in the context of the 4th to 5th PA epochs (the epochs are the active, temporally extended manifestations of archai beings who are also undergoing development). Yes, the modern passion-fueled intellectual consciousness has practically inverted all intuitive realities by conditioning our thinking from the bottom-up, but nevertheless we are dealing with doctrines that stand in relation to their pre-modern manifestations as 'shadows to the Light' (in Steiner's words). And, again, we have to remember Steiner explicitly finds the RCC to be the most spiritually awake of all modern institutions. But he finds the motives behind that wakefulness and the methods by which they express that wakefulness in the World to be very disconcerting and not in keeping with Anthroposophical methods of the evolving 5th PA epoch.

Federica wrote: Here I don't understand well the metaphor of swimming, the "symbolic ordering technique" applied to it, as the explanation of the mystery of Will. To answer your last question: not exactly. I am not an anarchist. I think it's necessary and useful to engage with a number of cultural hierarchies, or human organizations. There is an objective aspect in any hierarchy, in the sense that worldly life without a certain level of representation and layered structure would be impossible, or highly unstable. But a hierarchy can also contain the seed of its moral degradation. Hierarchies that are created or taken over by personal or partisan interests are the ones that I have an antipathy for. As the Romans said: "Divide et Impera", divide and rule, is the abstract principle that allows - back then, and still today - to maintain arbitrary power by breaking the unity (unity of intent, of spirit, of information... however we want to put it) of the collective that the hierarchy is supposed to structure. That's why I spoke of hierarchies as separating, and that's also the essence of, for example, the RCC. So in general, I prefer cultural hierarchies that don't favor the application of the Roman principle of power by fragmentation.

Regarding spiritual development in particular, I think those hierarchies are particularly negative, at a time when the free human being is, and has to be, the direct initiator of a path of development that will reflect as ethical individualism in the Will, and in worldly life. In the case of the RCC, I think it's not only a matter of weakening our spiritual activity, but also that the power structure that has grown inside it could steer its members towards a seamless adherence to a materialistic mindset. I don't think it would feel "nice and comforting to redeem this hierarchy" in its institutionalized form, but only in the corresponding stream of wise traditions (as I suggested in the post just above this one). This being said, I think that communities today could be of great help in supporting spiritual development, hence to some extent, hierarchies - of the right type. I am unsure whether even the Anthroposophical Societies are the appropriate type of communities to foster human spiritual development, maybe they are, maybe not. But I suppose new communities based on the principle of union will arise in the near future, to frame and nurture the growing spiritual impulse of our times.

Let's revisit the CEO hierarchical metaphor that Cleric used in the morphic spaces essay. That was, of course, a metaphor for the very structure of reality. I would like to understand what you feel is the essential difference between that hierarchical structure and, for ex., what we find in the RCC. What makes it less separating, less divide and rule, etc., apart from the influence of corrupted souls who may play the role of 'CEO' at any given time? If it's only a matter of 'personal or partisan interests', then the hierarchy could theoretically be redeemed as soon as those personalities or interests die out and new ones come in. So I feel like it must be something more than that for you.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Anthony66

Re: Spiritual Insights from Valentin Tomberg

Post by Anthony66 »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:12 am
Anthony66 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:18 pm
AshvinP wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:59 pm As always, concrete examples are what help us move from the domain of abstractions to the living substance of what is being referred to with all these words and labels. So can you provide a concrete example of the 'criticizable structure and behavior of the institution RCC', that is independent of 'corrupted behaviors within it' (such as for ex. the Crusades, the Inquisition, financial schemes, pedophilia and sex abuse scandals, etc.), that you refer to above? In other words, what is something baked into the very structure of the RCC, inherited from its understanding of scripture and ecclesiastical tradition, that makes into an equal parts moral and amoral institution, according to you?
Do you have a problem with the us/them, inside/outside, saved/unsaved, redeemed/damned dichotomies inherent in RCC teaching and dogma? You, me, Cleric, Federica, Steiner, and all others outside the Catholic Church, are hell-bound sinners according to RCC theology.

Anthony,

I'm sorry if it seems like I kind of blew by your question here, but the truth is, I don't really know how to respond to your questions anymore. I feel like much Cleric and I have written on the topic of the OT and NT, in response to your previous statements and questions, simply goes ignored. Or at least it is not responded to, and then you resurface later with another variation of the same point or question. For now I will just quote something from Tomberg, even though I am fairly certain you will find it as unsatisfying as you have all previous responses on this topic. I hope it manages to resonate more, though.

This subjective state of soul is neither long nor short—it is as intense as eternity is. Similarly, the blessedness that a saint experiences in the vision of God is as intense as eternity—although it could not so last, since someone present at the ecstasy of a saint would time it as a few minutes. The “region” of eternity is that of intensity, which surpasses the measures of quantity that we employ in time and space. “Eternity” is not a duration of infinite length; it is the “intensity of quality” which, if compared with time and thus translated into the language of quantity, is comparable with an infinite duration. Concerning this, Nicolas A. Berdyaev says:

In our life on earth it is given to us to experience torments that appear to us to go on for ever, that are not for a moment, for an hour or a day, but seem to last an infinity…Objectively this infinity may last a moment, an hour, or a day, but it receives the name of everlasting hell…When Origen said that Christ will remain on the cross so long as a single creature remains in hell, he expressed an eternal truth. (Nicolas Berdyaev, The Destiny of Man, London, 1937, p. 342 and p. 347)

What can one add to this, if not “amen”? Eternal hell is the state of a soul imprisoned within itself, where the soul has no hope of coming out. “Eternal” means to say “without hope”. All suicides committed through desperation bear witness to the reality of eternal hell as a state of soul. Before committing suicide, the person who commits it experiences a state of complete despair, i.e. eternal hell. This is why he prefers nothingness to the state of despair. Nothingness is therefore his last hope.

Eternal bliss—“heaven”—is, in contrast, the state of soul which is filled with boundless hope. This is not a blissfulness which lasts for an infinite number of years; it is the intensity of hope which gives the quality “eternal”. Similarly, it is the intensity of despair which imparts to the state of soul designated “hell” the quality “eternal”. The anguish of Gethsemane which gave rise to perspiration of blood was eternal. This night, the night of Gethsemane, was not measured in hours. It was—it is—immeasurable, therefore eternal. It is due to its eternity that he sweated blood, and not because of the temporary, and therefore passing, trial. He knew eternal hell through experience, and as he came out of it, we have the “good news” that not only death is vanquished by the Resurrection, but also that hell is—through Gethsemane.
This is why Origen himself knew with certain knowledge that there would be no “damned” at the end of the world and that the devil, also, would be saved. And whoever meditates on the sweat of blood in Gethsemane and on the words “It is I” (or “I am he”), announcing the eternal victory over eternal hell, also will know with certain knowledge that eternal hell exists as a reality, but that it will be empty at the end of time. The sweat of blood in Gethsemane is the source of “Origenism”; here is the source of its inspiration.
Ashvin,

Please be rest assured that none of your responses are ignored. I typically read your and Cleric's posts a number of times. Oftentimes there are aspects that I park and come back to some weeks or months later, sometimes to find that they now make sense, other times they remain impervious to my understanding and get parked again. Some posts I come back to time and time again because of their illuminating qualities.

I realize that my way of interacting doesn't provide much stimulation from your end. I'm hoping for the day when I can become a generator of novel material flowing from my inward discoveries but I'm not at the point just yet.

Yes the OT/NT issue still remains troublesome for me. I'm trying to understand the scriptures through a different lens but this is an ongoing battle and almost every interaction with them leaves me with challenging questions.

On the current matter, why do we assume that "RCC theology" is some static framework of concepts with definite meanings? Because the catechism, creeds, and encyclicals are expressed in terms of common intellectual thought forms, not from an esoteric perspective which only a limited number of individuals can understand.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:36 pm
AshvinP wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:39 pm You (Federica) really captured the spirit of resisting the temptation of fragmenting and systematic thinking in this post. It would be interesting to hear how you feel what was written there compares to your last comment, where it was said, "I think we have to maintain some ability to also segment, consider things in isolation, and to discriminate..." In my view, the latter ability is only useful when a) it is used to spectrum analyze our environment as part of some specific applied purpose (which we must continue to do at our stage of evolution), or b) it is part of a more holistic endeavor to reunite what we have spectrum analyzed into a broader constellation of principled spiritual wisdom, and to rhythmically and repeatedly do that (or have that done by higher powers) without ever ceasing. That is how we spiral the pole of "everyday earthly life" into the pole of "all-encompassing and all-seeing" that we truly experience after death. Yes, that is indeed the path of modern initiation, which requires the sacrifice of personal beliefs and opinions. Because a mindset that clings to its desire for belief and opinion is capable of formulating a conceptual system of "zooming in and zooming out", but it practically prevents itself from living into the rhythmic practice of zooming in and zooming out. The system comes at the expense of the practice. If our ideal is to move freely across the threshold in waking consciousness, then we can't carry the systematic scaffolding with us. 

Yeah, nice post :D I had forgotten about it. I often think and write more easily and maybe better when I think about others’ questions than my own. Anyhow, I don’t see opposition between the two posts I wrote here and here. That's how I feel about the two.

In the first one I said: "We come to accept that knowledge is an all-round expansion. Everything evolves around its center, including ourselves, as symbolized by the simple mandala Cleric shared". Another description of the same approach to knowledge is what I called zooming in and out from that center, in the second post. It’s not a linear expansion. We cannot instantly behold any points in the periphery of the cone, or mandala, just by switching in symbolic mode. That’s why it’s a path and not an instant enlightenment. Steiner spoke of the importance for the student to be exposed to illustrations of the higher worlds before being able to know them directly, through higher cognition. Such recommended approach is nothing else than exerting the ability to zoom in, and to remain flexible, ready to zoom out in living thinking, on the next wave of progression. In other words, it’s the same thing as forming reasoned and flexible opinions, subject to constant evolution, and supported by open-mindedness and feelings of reverence and gratitude. Maybe I could compare such a transitory opinion to something like a morphic space. It has to have form, before it can dissolve into symbolic nature. It's a step that we don't expect to stop on.

In the first post, I said that we need to “let go of our obsession with breaking down complex problems in simple steps, hoping to feel smart, resourceful, and in control”. In other words, we need to let go of the systematic approach. But this doesn’t mean that, when we do that, we have left all our context behind and we instantly flow into perfect instant redemption of all reality. We can’t look at a point in the far periphery of the mandala and make it known, redeemed and integrated by declaring it a symbol. Probably, in the centuries and millennia to come, the symbol of the RCC will shine as memory of a physical body of wise traditions, and will also exist as a living hierarchy of double-sided access points to stations of experience, and the two identities will be one thing. But here and now I for myself, who is writing at this end of the world, cannot jump straight in that reality or attract it to (my) center by grace of the pure light of Thinking. I only can walk steps, one step towards the threshold, and the next back on Regent Street, zooming out and then back in.

As I said in the post that you approved, we have to “meet our questions without intermediaries” - which could also be expressed: without the intercession of systematic hierarchies, right? - "knowing that the experience will not feel fully complete and mastered. And hopefully what happens next is that patience and open mindedness start to spring from that feeling (of reverence and gratitude), helping us accept that knowledge is brought within our reach only in slow waves of progression." Yes it's a path, as individuals and collectives, as you would say.

Now, I don’t forget that you and I are at different stages of development, so with these thoughts I am not trying to infer anything about your inner experiences, of course. But here you are accepting the constraints of human language, posting about the reasoned opinions Steiner suggests to the students’ consideration, as useful for their development on the path. Either we trust his methods and apply ourselves to grasp the evolutionary sense of the RCC as dead corpse in the 5th PA epoch, or we can see beyond that path of schooling, as you probably can. But putting in a post that there is nothing in that lecture that “declares it impossible that the two streams can spiral together in some way during the 5th epoch” and that “the means by which that could happen was not clear to Steiner at the time” is another thing, as I see it in this moment.

Federica,

I agree with much of your characterization above. As usual, the question becomes how we start living into what we have started to work our in our conceptual thinking,. so we aren't saying one thing (or thinking about one thing) and doing another. Gradually we want to harmonize these layers of our be-ing. What follows should be understood within that ideal context. Sorry it became rather lengthy - it follows a sort of zooming in and out structure, which is indeed helpful. Although it is primarily directed in response to your comments, I hope it is also instructive for Anthony as well. Feel free to also respond to my question in the previous post based on what is written here, if you want to do it that way.

It is interesting, because your phrasing in posts often suggest you have made definitive conclusions on some of these topics, but it seems like you actually hold them as loose opinions that you are not only willing to revisit and refashion, but are almost certain to do so within a short period of time. I suppose most people in the esoteric context simply tend to refrain from making the assertions/opinions at that stage. I can see the reasons why your approach could be advantageous in various ways, strengthening the will-to-explore unknown realities with your spiritual activity.

At the same time, there is something to be said for not allowing these ideas-opinions that are unmanifest in our consciousness to descend into manifestation through our feeling-will. Once the latter happens, it is like a bit of karma that we have cast out into the World and therefore it will serve as an attractor force for future spiritual activity. Generally that means it will keep drawing our feeling and thinking back to it, even when we have encountered new insights that should modify or discard the opinions. It becomes something we feel attached to and subconsciously need to continue justifying or defending in some way. People end up with drug addictions that started out as temporary and provisional ideas to experiment with a substance. "Let me just see how this feels for now and later I will be in a good position to decide whether it should be continued or not." Our conceptual judgments, as imperceptible as they are and as trivial as they may seem compared to a chemical substance, can support quite similarly degenerative habits in our thought-life.

In the pool metaphor, it's as if we are standing in the pool and have the idea-intent to swim to the other side and punch a little kid in the stomach. Those sorts of ideas can pop into our consciousness, but hardly anyone will let it descend into their feeling-will so that it actually manifests. If it did manifest, then the result would be quite traumatic and, as a karmic consequence, would keep drawing our stream of becoming back to it (until some equally potent compensation is made). We wouldn't be able to simply dismiss that attractive force with the power of logical thought, but only with the power of genuine repentance. Clearly the typed-out and posted opinions are not on the same level of karmic intensity as physically harming someone, but if we let enough of those manifest through our will, they can become unnecessary and stubborn obstacles to our striving for higher knowledge. Of course, I can only speak about these traps because I have extensive experience falling into them. The other danger to keep in mind here is that of reaching the mechanical tentacles into the morphic spaces.

We often mention how the higher unmanifest worlds should be conceived as orthogonal to our normal waking experience, completely unfamiliar and unsuspected. But that is even true of the manifest world as well. In this context, we can ask ourselves what we really know about the EOC or RCC, for ex. Unless we were raised in those structures, what we know are mental pictures, i.e. memories based on other peoples' opinions, maybe history books, or esoteric writings if we are lucky. If we were fortunate enough to come across an individuality like Steiner, then we have a more solid basis for forming judgments based on clairvoyant research into supra-sensory ideas. But we still have the choice to treat the 'judgments' as symbols - conceptual portals - that are mapping out a sort of topographic image of the supra-sensory landscape. When we look at such an image in the physical context, it is easy enough to recognize that we would fall into great traps if we confused it for true knowledge of the territory it is imaging. We know it doesn't provide true knowledge of the territory's qualitative significance, i.e. the atmospheric quality, the water quality, the quality of life, the quality of people living there, and so forth. 

But when it comes to spiritual realities explored with conceptual activity, we have the hardest time remembering this, even though the danger of confusing the symbol-image for the territory is much greater for our inner life. I simply don't think it is correct to say that Steiner "is suggesting the student to use those 'facts' as support to form temporary, provisional opinions about the worlds, lower and higher". It would be like using the information contained in the map above to form opinions about the qualitative significance of the territory it is mapping. I know that, practically speaking, the 'forming provisional opinions' approach is the way our relation to Steiner's lectures will proceed for a while, but the reason we discuss these things on the forum is also to refine and improve that approach, making it a smoother and more efficient journey towards higher understanding (within the context of our personal Karmic destiny, of course). Steiner also makes this same point in many of his lectures.

Scott and I recently discussed the spiritual reality of musical experience. In that discussion, I stated that our normal musical experience is the shadowy remembrance of our liminal experience of the sevenfold planetary spheres and their rhythms of spiritual activity within the context of the Zodiac. Now we could say that statement is a provisional 'judgment' about musical experience that I have made and am asking others to contemplate and pursue, but notice that the 'judgment' is still a symbol. It does not purport to explain what the heavenly bodies are, what their rhythms are, what the Zodiac is, how they evolved and continue to evolve, and so forth. Those are all great mysteries that the symbolic judgment merely gives our consciousness a portal to explore through continued effort. So we should always pay attention to what sort of 'provisional judgments' we are making about spiritual realities. If they make us feel we really understand the true nature of the reality in question - that we can safely sidestep further inner exploration - then they are being employed for purposes of a closed loop conceptual system. 

So I hope what now follows will be an example, however crude, of reading the content of an excerpt from Steiner's lectures with the ideal of symbolically working through that content to get a fluid, but still concrete sense of the spiritual landscape he is painting. It is helpful to remember that symbolic ordering is really our native mode of spiritual activity. We engage this mode every period that we descend from the soul world into our physical-etheric instrument, i.e. every morning we awaken. Do we awaken to construct a system out of our daily experiences of the physical (symbolic) plane? No, we awaken to work through those symbolic experiences, like swimming through the water to reach ideal aims, and offer the ripe inner fruits of that experience back to the soul world for wise judgment and to the spirit world for elaboration into new forces to further the pursuit of ideals we share with humanity and the Earth organism. It is only because, at our current stage of evolution, the intellect grabs hold of that native mode and resists its symbolic function, that we either use our conceptual activity during the day without experiencing any higher purpose to it, or the 'higher' purpose becomes the accumulation of head-knowledge and other selfish, worldly interests. 

We experience this same resistance in meditation - usually the first minute or 30 seconds are the easiest to concentrate our superfluid, imaginative spiritual activity. Then a few distractions come in from the side and, over a short amount of time, they are raging the waters of our soul-life to the extent that we feel it is impossible to remain concentrated. We will notice this same progression from waking to early or mid-afternoon if we are paying attention to our ability to maintain a more spiritual-oriented consciousness. So the symbolic ordering is simply finding ways, when we are meditating inwardly or outwardly (reading through spiritual materials), to minimize the systematic intellect from exerting itself to the extent it normally does. It may also help to remember why symbolic ordering works - because, as Scott discussed before, the OP is Spiritual Activity. When we use the symbolic natural image of cleansing with fresh water to point towards the purification of inner soul tendencies, for ex., this can lead us into the depths of higher-order reality because it is truly inner soul activity that structure natural processes. When there is a big storm with a lot of fresh rain, that is literally a Divine cleansing of lower astral qualities that have amassed within the Earth's atmosphere. 

"And it thus appears that the entire world is like a single mirror full of lights presenting the divine wisdom, or as charcoal emitting light." - St. Bonaventura

The power in the symbol of the baptism or the rain storm is not in our dialectically matching it with soul-spiritual meanings, but in resonating with the wise intuitive Spiritual Gestures that impress the reality of such symbolic appearances. Likewise, when we read through materials on deep spiritual topics, we don't aim to imitate the thought-forms of the author, like we are taking driving directions to get from point A to the 'right answer' of point B, but to resonate with the author's spiritual gestures that are concealed behind the content. We practice the technique of zooming in and zooming out because we aim to resonate with the rhythmic structure by which spiritual reality becomes manifest and evolves. So it is a similar reason why spiritual concepts-images work as symbols without any arbitrary 'matching' activity by the intellect. Symbols are not man-made conventions, but rather the very vehicle of all Divine creation. If we want to expand our limited intellectual aperture into the wider spheres of that Divine be-ing, then we can only do so through the portals of symbols. 

So the following isn't about forming conclusive or even temporary judgments about the essential nature of the EOC or the Russian folk, but holding the content as symbols that help us acquire a textured sense for the way in which these cultural phenomena spiritually evolve. Not everything needs to make great sense or form a coherent and exhaustive conceptual framework - even if we tell ourselves we have no need for such frameworks, we should assume that is what our conceptual thinking, entangled with the lower personality, is striving for. The symbolic approach helps us purify that tendency which continually asserts itself. It is somewhat similar to the concentration exercise that Scaligero elaborates for us, in terms of what we are aiming to do with symbolic ordering (not in terms of its technique). 

Since the goal of concentration is to experience the synthetic element of thinking, normally alienated in the analytical-rational process, the object must be one whose meaning does not exert any influence upon the operation, since this operation demands only the arid a-psychic willful determination of thought. The original force of thinking lies within this willful determination. We only need to discover it. This force is itself in movement within the activity aimed at discovering it. Such movement is fundamental to the whole life of the soul and its relation with the spirit and the body, because, for the first time, the typical order, “I”-soul-body, normally contradicted by everyday experience is realized. Therefore, this basic exercise is the key to the equilibrium and wellbeing of the soul and the body. The fact that—despite its elementary nature—it is always difficult to realize, can be explained by means of its truly exceptional task, namely, to be the ideal operation that reconstitutes the original equilibrium of the formative human principles.

Scaligero, Massimo. A Practical Manual of Meditation . Lindisfarne. Kindle Edition. 

Steiner clearly indicates in various places that the Eastern Church, even though it embodies much hierarchical structure, dogmas/doctrines, and rites similar to those of the RCC, is much more amenable to reintegration with the spiritual impulse of Christ that works directly into the soul-life of individual humans, regardless of gender, ethnicity, nationality, creed or confession. 

Steiner (my emphasis) wrote:Let us resume our observations of yesterday. I showed how, in the main, through factors I have mentioned, the People of the Christ was diverted eastwards and how, as a consequence of other factors, the Peoples of the Church developed in the centre of Europe and spread from there in a westward direction. I then pointed out how the various conflicts which arose at the turning-point which marked the beginning of the fifth post-Atlantean epoch were connected with this basic fact. I also showed how, within that territory where the true People of the Church developed, through the fact that the Christ impulse to some extent no longer exercised a lasting influence, but was associated with a definite moment in time and had to be transmitted through tradition and written records, there arose the troubled relationship between Christianity and the politically organized church, subject to the Roman pontiff; and how then other individual churches submitted to Rome. These other churches, though manifesting considerable differences from the papal church have, however, many features in common with it — in any case certain things which are of interest to us in this context and which seem to indicate that the state church of the Protestants is closer to the Roman Catholic Church than to the Russian Orthodox Church, in which however the dependence of the church upon the state was never the essential factor. What was of paramount importance in the Russian church was the way in which the Christ impulse, in unbroken activity, expressed itself through the Russian people. I then showed how the radical consequence of this dragging down of the Christ impulse into purely worldly affairs was the establishment of Jesuitism, and how Goetheanism appeared as the antithesis of Jesuitism.

This Goetheanism endeavours to promote a countermovement, somewhat akin to Russian Christianity. It seeks to spiritualize that which exists here on the physical plane, so that, despite the circumstances on the physical plane, the soul unites with the impulses which sustain the spiritual world itself, impulses which are not brought down directly to the plane of sensible reality, as in Jesuitism, but are mediated by the soul. 

But he also indicates in other places that the above is a germinal tendency in the Russian folk and Orthodox Church that was clearly masked by 20th century events, i.e. atheistic communist revolutions, and therefore remains quite unsuspected to most. That is still practically the case today. So what is the practical means by which this germinal redemptive tendency will condense into exoteric forms over the course of years, decades, or even centuries? It all begins in the thinking consciousness of individual souls like you, Cleric, Scott, myself, and others. If we return to the pool metaphor, the supra-sensory idea-ideal that lives in our consciousness can't remain there if it is to have practical significance, but it must descend into our feeling-will and animate our physical body. The problem is that the normal human will is entirely personalized by being entangled with the Earthly context - we strive to move from point A to point B, to satisfy our hunger, to satisfy our lust, to accumulate material goods, to impress our family and friends, etc. Even physical exercise to stay healthy is generally a means to impress people and live longer so we can pursue other selfish aims. On the path of esoteric striving, however, we descend the intent into brain and animate our lucid conceptual life to pursue selfless spiritual ideals. 

An integral part of those ideals is to purify the lower personal will that runs its course in the normal Earthly context. We actually aim to make our exercise, eating, sleeping, social interactions, etc. more aligned with spiritual ideals that encompass all of humanity. We could say that is what begins to distinguish Christian esotericism from mere spiritual asceticism. The latter purifies the soul to attain knowledge, wisdom, and enlightenment, but the spirit so attained doesn't descend back into the Earthly context for the latter's progressive redemption. And the fact is that, without this redemptive leg which establishes a harmonious spiritual rhythm, there is only so much the human spirit can attain in the way of true knowledge and wisdom. It eventually falls prey to deceptions and illusions of a spiritual nature. So we should take the redemptive responsibility seriously. 

Everything is superimposed and interwoven when it comes to spiritual striving. We can remember Cleric's example of the cookbook recipe - we take out the eggs, break them, season the batter, whip the batter, pour it into the frying pan, etc. When it comes to spiritual ideals, however, we are working on many of these stages simultaneously. We are to some extent working on the life of spirit, soul, and body simultaneously. We are working on our own development and the redemption of the World Forms simultaneously. The latter are redeemed in direct relation to the expansion of human spiritual consciousness. We spoke of musical experience before - symphonic classical music has degenerated into mechanical pop music, heavy metal, and EDM, but their essential experiential roots all extend back into the Music of the Spheres we journey through during sleep and after death. The same can be said of religious institutions and their hierarchies. The latter have an ideal function that we once knew and can know again. 

St. Dionysius the Areopagite (5th century AD) wrote:Hierarchy is, in my opinion, a holy order and knowledge and activity which, so far as 157 is attainable, participates in the Divine Likeness, and is lifted up to the illuminations given it from God, and correspondingly towards the imitation of God. Now the Beauty of God, being unific, good, and the Source of all perfection, is wholly free from dissimilarity, and bestows its own Light upon each according to his merit;* and in the most divine Mysteries perfects them in accordance with the unchangeable fashioning of those who are being perfected harmoniously to Itself... For each of those who is allotted a place in the Divine Order finds his perfection in being uplifted, according to his capacity , towards the Divine Likeness; and what is still more divine, 158 he becomes, as the Scriptures say, a fellow-worker with God, and shows forth the Divine Activity revealed as far as possible ‘in himself. For the holy constitution of the Hierarchy ordains that some are purified, others purify; some are enlightened, others enlighten; some are perfected, others make perfect; for in this way the divine imitation will fit each one... Thus each order in the hierarchical succession is guided to the divine co-operation, and brings into manifestation, through the Grace and Power of God, that which is naturally and supernaturally in the Godhead, and which is consummated by Him superessentially, but is hierarchically manifested for man’s imitation as far as is attainable, of the God-loving Celestial Intelligences.

Steiner revealed through his research how the ideal hierarchy depicted above will be progressively restored through the 6th and 7th epochs. The latter, for ex., will recapitulate in lucid (free) consciousness the 1st Indian epoch, where we find the caste system. Most people today would say that system is a clear example of an oppressive hierarchy that we shouldn't return to. But that is only because they feel the essence of such a system is already known - they have formed definitive judgments about it rather than treating it as a fluid symbol for unknown Divine realities, or 'mysterious laws' by which reality unfolds at the levels of nature, culture, and individuals, across the mirrored planes of consciousness between involution and evolution. So we see that these topics are complex and (a) we need the help of symbolic thinking to expand our aperture on the complex ideal relations and (b) they generally point towards the concrete possibility of redeeming all cultural forms of the PA epoch.  That redemption only happens through our participation, which begins in the practiced perfection our thinking consciousness and the devotional soul-life oriented towards these high ideals.

To make this mysterious law somewhat clearer, we should add the following. We know that India has something that strikes our humanitarian consciousness as strange. This is the division into definite castes, into priests, warriors, merchants, and laborer. This strict segregation is foreign to our modern views. In the first post-Atlantean culture it was not strange, it was entirely natural; in those times it could not be otherwise than that the souls of men should be divided into four grades according to their capacities. No harshness was felt in it for men were distributed by their leaders, who had such authority that what they prescribed was accepted without question. It was felt that the leaders, the seven Holy Rishis who had received their instruction from divine beings in Atlantis, could see where each man should be placed. Thus such a classification of men was something altogether natural. An entirely different grouping will appear in the seventh period. The division in the first period was effected by authority, but in the seventh period men will group themselves according to objective points of view. Something similar is seen among the ants; they form a state which, in its wonderful structure as well as in its capacity to perform a relatively prodigious amount of work, is not rivaled by any human state. Yet there we have just what seems to be alien to us, the caste system; for each ant has its particular task.

Whatever we may think of this today, men will see that the salvation of humanity lies in division into objective groups, and they will even be able to combine division of labor with equality of rights. Human society will appear as a wonderful harmony. This is something we can see in the annals of the future. Thus ancient India will appear again; and in a similar way certain traits of the third period will appear again in the fifth.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

Ashvin,

I hope the following will be sufficient for us to get a chance to read what you have drafted, especially the expansion on symbolic ordering :)

AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:23 am Federica,

I have drafted much of a response to some of your other posts, including an expansion on 'symbolic ordering', but I want to start by commenting on this one briefly and asking a question.

Let me just be clear that I am never using a snapshot of existence to make any point about exploring spiritual reality, which is always a metamorphosing stream of activity. If we are discussing the possibility, path, and process of redeeming cultural institutions, then we are implicitly discussing the Divine-human stream of activity through which such institutions have evolved and will continue to evolve. That is what Steiner was discussing as well in the context of the 4th to 5th PA epochs (the epochs are the active, temporally extended manifestations of archai beings who are also undergoing development). Yes, the modern passion-fueled intellectual consciousness has practically inverted all intuitive realities by conditioning our thinking from the bottom-up, but nevertheless we are dealing with doctrines that stand in relation to their pre-modern manifestations as 'shadows to the Light' (in Steiner's words). And, again, we have to remember Steiner explicitly finds the RCC to be the most spiritually awake of all modern institutions. But he finds the motives behind that wakefulness and the methods by which they express that wakefulness in the World to be very disconcerting and not in keeping with Anthroposophical methods of the evolving 5th PA epoch.

Ok, but then there should be no need to even mention the cultural institution of the RCC, if we want to take a broad enough perspective and zoom all out of whatever particular, ephemeral worldly forms the Spiritual stream of Christianity has taken, and is taking. We would do well to only contemplate the RCC as a pure symbol, and to refrain from considering the changing traits through which that symbol becomes manifest in various epochs. But then what do we do with the following question: because we still have a physical existence, and because our flow of becoming is still tightly constrained by the inertial forces that rule that world, how should we act in the material world in relation to the current institutional form of that symbol? If we take the fully symbolic perspective, where are our moral intuitions supposed to come from as guidelines for our willed behaviors in the physical world? Behaviors that should counter the adversarial forces just as much as our thinking and feeling should. Our deeds have to be discriminating deeds, because there are opposite forces at play out there. If we don’t discriminate, if we tend to the idea that pure symbols are melting together all polar opposites and only focus on integrating everything, while we are far away from that ideal in our flow of becoming, how do we insure we do what has to be done, down to the shorter waves that need to be addressed here and now, where and when the threats are being deployed?

Regarding Steiner’s position, it seems to me he does zoom in, at least partially, to the current time, when he speaks of what the RCC is doing in the moment, and how it is reacting to the “gathering clouds”. I don’t see that he is speaking of the Church primarily as a symbol, rather as an evolving institution fighting for its survival. By the way, I understand he says the RCC is awake, not in the sense that it is awake to the needs of spiritual development, but that it’s awake to the threatening emergence of a scientifically planned society that will cause the decay of religious impulses. That wakefulness is a survival instinct in the wake of the big threats of the scientific revolution.

AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:23 am Let's revisit the CEO hierarchical metaphor that Cleric used in the morphic spaces essay. That was, of course, a metaphor for the very structure of reality. I would like to understand what you feel is the essential difference between that hierarchical structure and, for ex., what we find in the RCC. What makes it less separating, less divide and rule, etc., apart from the influence of corrupted souls who may play the role of 'CEO' at any given time? If it's only a matter of 'personal or partisan interests', then the hierarchy could theoretically be redeemed as soon as those personalities or interests die out and new ones come in. So I feel like it must be something more than that for you.

To answer your CEO question, i.e. what makes certain hierarchies diverge from the ‘natural’ principle of hierarchical organization of all reality, beyond the isolated negative influence of certain individuals. I would say that, for better or worse, the influence of certain individualities can hardly be isolated and extracted from the institutions or forms within which that individuality has formed and developed (by the way, I am surprised that you put the question in these terms, or maybe I don’t understand it). In the case of the RCC in particular it seems to me that its structure, under the negative influence of certain forces, has evolved to a form that alone has the potential to work against wholesome spiritual development of individuals. For example, if at the times of Steiner its reaction to the scientific revolution has been the ‘jealous’ reaction to impose that an oath is taken by all clergy (as Steiner reports) it seems to me that in our present times the tactic has radically changed. The role of jealous spouse who requests a reaffirmed commitment has been discarded, and now the strategy is to obtain commitment by surreptitiously partnering with the bewitching lover instead.
The reason why it is impossible to observe thinking in the actual moment of its occurrence is the very same which makes it possible for us to know it more immediately and more intimately thany any other process in the world.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Anthony66 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:00 pm
AshvinP wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:12 am
Anthony66 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:18 pm
Do you have a problem with the us/them, inside/outside, saved/unsaved, redeemed/damned dichotomies inherent in RCC teaching and dogma? You, me, Cleric, Federica, Steiner, and all others outside the Catholic Church, are hell-bound sinners according to RCC theology.

Anthony,

I'm sorry if it seems like I kind of blew by your question here, but the truth is, I don't really know how to respond to your questions anymore. I feel like much Cleric and I have written on the topic of the OT and NT, in response to your previous statements and questions, simply goes ignored. Or at least it is not responded to, and then you resurface later with another variation of the same point or question. For now I will just quote something from Tomberg, even though I am fairly certain you will find it as unsatisfying as you have all previous responses on this topic. I hope it manages to resonate more, though.

This subjective state of soul is neither long nor short—it is as intense as eternity is. Similarly, the blessedness that a saint experiences in the vision of God is as intense as eternity—although it could not so last, since someone present at the ecstasy of a saint would time it as a few minutes. The “region” of eternity is that of intensity, which surpasses the measures of quantity that we employ in time and space. “Eternity” is not a duration of infinite length; it is the “intensity of quality” which, if compared with time and thus translated into the language of quantity, is comparable with an infinite duration. Concerning this, Nicolas A. Berdyaev says:

In our life on earth it is given to us to experience torments that appear to us to go on for ever, that are not for a moment, for an hour or a day, but seem to last an infinity…Objectively this infinity may last a moment, an hour, or a day, but it receives the name of everlasting hell…When Origen said that Christ will remain on the cross so long as a single creature remains in hell, he expressed an eternal truth. (Nicolas Berdyaev, The Destiny of Man, London, 1937, p. 342 and p. 347)

What can one add to this, if not “amen”? Eternal hell is the state of a soul imprisoned within itself, where the soul has no hope of coming out. “Eternal” means to say “without hope”. All suicides committed through desperation bear witness to the reality of eternal hell as a state of soul. Before committing suicide, the person who commits it experiences a state of complete despair, i.e. eternal hell. This is why he prefers nothingness to the state of despair. Nothingness is therefore his last hope.

Eternal bliss—“heaven”—is, in contrast, the state of soul which is filled with boundless hope. This is not a blissfulness which lasts for an infinite number of years; it is the intensity of hope which gives the quality “eternal”. Similarly, it is the intensity of despair which imparts to the state of soul designated “hell” the quality “eternal”. The anguish of Gethsemane which gave rise to perspiration of blood was eternal. This night, the night of Gethsemane, was not measured in hours. It was—it is—immeasurable, therefore eternal. It is due to its eternity that he sweated blood, and not because of the temporary, and therefore passing, trial. He knew eternal hell through experience, and as he came out of it, we have the “good news” that not only death is vanquished by the Resurrection, but also that hell is—through Gethsemane.
This is why Origen himself knew with certain knowledge that there would be no “damned” at the end of the world and that the devil, also, would be saved. And whoever meditates on the sweat of blood in Gethsemane and on the words “It is I” (or “I am he”), announcing the eternal victory over eternal hell, also will know with certain knowledge that eternal hell exists as a reality, but that it will be empty at the end of time. The sweat of blood in Gethsemane is the source of “Origenism”; here is the source of its inspiration.
Ashvin,

Please be rest assured that none of your responses are ignored. I typically read your and Cleric's posts a number of times. Oftentimes there are aspects that I park and come back to some weeks or months later, sometimes to find that they now make sense, other times they remain impervious to my understanding and get parked again. Some posts I come back to time and time again because of their illuminating qualities.

I realize that my way of interacting doesn't provide much stimulation from your end. I'm hoping for the day when I can become a generator of novel material flowing from my inward discoveries but I'm not at the point just yet.

Yes the OT/NT issue still remains troublesome for me. I'm trying to understand the scriptures through a different lens but this is an ongoing battle and almost every interaction with them leaves me with challenging questions.

Anthony,

I am glad you are continuing to read and work with the posts. And there is no reason to feel that you need to generate novel material. Simply working through the material on this forum is enough. There is no problem with having challenging questions when approaching the scripture or any spiritual realities. In fact, everything should present to us as a great question, a mysterious riddle. That is a great way to reawaken our symbolic thinking capacity, IF we are approaching it with genuine questions rather than cynical doubts that we are calling "questions". There is a fine line between them and too often we confuse the latter for the former. Genuine questions leave us with an open-mind and a fiery enthusiasm to ask more questions and start exploring the answers. Cynical doubts leave us in a state of skeptical stagnation, a feeling that we have already exhausted the topic in our thought and there is simply nowhere left to go.

On the current matter, why do we assume that "RCC theology" is some static framework of concepts with definite meanings? Because the catechism, creeds, and encyclicals are expressed in terms of common intellectual thought forms, not from an esoteric perspective which only a limited number of individuals can understand.

We often mention how the whole essence of the modern problem, across all domains of inquiry, is leaving our first-person spiritual activity in the blind spot. Are those things absolutely expressed in "common intellectual thought forms", for all time, or are those simply the thought forms you bring to bear on them at your current stage of development? I quoted the Apostle's Creed before in a previous comment. Would you grant that my experience of what is being conveyed there may be quite distinct from yours? It's not that I can't understand the intellectual meaning, but I can also view that meaning in a higher light. There are many superimposed layers of meaning and many of the higher layers are veiled to my current consciousness as well. If we expect all higher perspectives to be equally available to all people who have inherited the capacity to think, at all times and regardless of individual merit, then we are keeping our own spiritual activity and its role in World Evolution in the blind spot.

This was all symbolically explored in Cleric's morphic spaces post, so you may want to revisit that again. There is no fundamental difference between secular scientists observing the motion of dead concepts and thereby deriving absolute 'laws of physics' to which all higher life-soul-spirit experiences can be reduced, and you observing the configurations of dead intellectual forms in the religious domain and thereby deriving the meaning of absolute doctrines to which all 'RCC theology' can be reduced. Why limit this conclusive judgment to only RCC theology, in that case? Shouldn't we equally extend that to EOC, Protestant, Islamic, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist theology (to the extent the latter have been formulated for the layperson to understand)? There are great risks if we continue to indulge these end-user habits of thinking. There is no better way to explore the meaning of theology than to return to its inspired source in scripture, without passion or prejudice, and with the symbolic capacity that it naturally invites.

"For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God." (Ephesians 3)
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:18 pm Ashvin,

I hope the following will be sufficient for us to get a chance to read what you have drafted, especially the expansion on symbolic ordering :)

AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:23 am Federica,

Ok, but then there should be no need to even mention the cultural institution of the RCC, if we want to take a broad enough perspective and zoom all out of whatever particular, ephemeral worldly forms the Spiritual stream of Christianity has taken, and is taking. We would do well to only contemplate the RCC as a pure symbol, and to refrain from considering the changing traits through which that symbol becomes manifest in various epochs. But then what do we do with the following question: because we still have a physical existence, and because our flow of becoming is still tightly constrained by the inertial forces that rule that world, how should we act in the material world in relation to the current institutional form of that symbol? If we take the fully symbolic perspective, where are our moral intuitions supposed to come from as guidelines for our willed behaviors in the physical world? Behaviors that should counter the adversarial forces just as much as our thinking and feeling should. Our deeds have to be discriminating deeds, because there are opposite forces at play out there. If we don’t discriminate, if we tend to the idea that pure symbols are melting together all polar opposites and only focus on integrating everything, while we are far away from that ideal in our flow of becoming, how do we insure we do what has to be done, down to the shorter waves that need to be addressed here and now, where and when the threats are being deployed?

Regarding Steiner’s position, it seems to me he does zoom in, at least partially, to the current time, when he speaks of what the RCC is doing in the moment, and how it is reacting to the “gathering clouds”. I don’t see that he is speaking of the Church primarily as a symbol, rather as an evolving institution fighting for its survival. By the way, I understand he says the RCC is awake, not in the sense that it is awake to the needs of spiritual development, but that it’s awake to the threatening emergence of a scientifically planned society that will cause the decay of religious impulses. That wakefulness is a survival instinct in the wake of the big threats of the scientific revolution.

Federica,

I know you are probably still getting around to reading my last post, so hopefully this response is seen as supplementing it. I hope it's clear that the symbolic approach is certainly not about zooming out of all particulars. It is the rhythmic interplay of zooming out and in, as you have referred to it. That is why the symbols are called 'portals' - they are fluid gates through which we pass from the Many to the One and back without becoming rigid and reductive. I remind of Tomberg's insight here:

The symbol is intended to be a means of expression that has a single meaning as well as a multiplicity of meanings. In the symbol, what is held in common and what is particular abide together; they are combined, not in a definition, but in an emblem.

If, rather than bringing the various conceptions of freedom to under the single heading of an all-embracing definition, we combine them in the emblem of a central point from which rays emanate to the periphery, we acquire a form of exposition that can contain many monovalent concepts, and yet bring them all into a unity. A symbol never collapses, no matter how many distinctly different concepts we might want to create out of it. Neither does a symbol ever wither away into a mere abstraction, no matter how far we might progress in seeking and finding its final and ultimate content. The cross placed above churches, and inside them, means a great many things; and yet, in these many things, it means only one thing. It is a true symbol.

As mentioned in the other post, this symbolic approach is what we are doing every day when passing from being asleep (the One - spirit world) to being awake (the Many - sensory spectrum). In that sense, when we adopt the symbolic approach in our daily activity we are engaging in resonance with what our higher self is already doing, aiming to support its purposes from below, so to speak. Does our higher self aim to form discriminating opinions about the 'opposite forces at play out there'? No, it actually aims to receive discriminating judgments - from the higher hierarchies - about the opposite forces at play in here. The higher self knows that the only path to redemptive spiritual evolution is through inner perfection, which also rays outwards through the institutions, forms, kingdoms, etc. of the World that we are all karmically entangled with. These are our institutions, forms, and kingdoms - not in the possessive sense, but in the sense that we literally formed them - cast them out of ourselves - and have been spiritually benefitting from their activity throughout the epochs. That is perhaps the easiest to discern in the case of Western cultural institutions.

If it is a question of joining an organization like the RCC or Anthroposophical Society, then certainly we should be discriminating in our judgment and decide whether its current form is a good fit for our ideal aims. But if it is a question of engaging with it at the symbolic level in our thinking consciousness, as a living and evolving institution, then I don't think there is any question that we should and that we must. Steiner often remarks that we come to know ourselves by knowing the World and we come to know the World by knowing ourselves. The World is an organic whole just like we are. None of its cells, tissues, organs, or systems can be safely discarded or ignored. We often mention how the human individual is a cross-section of the Cosmos-World as a whole and the esoteric path is about inwardly awakening to that reality in stages. Before we interiorize the Cosmos or the Kingdoms of Nature, it is exactly the cultural institutions, and particularly the post-Christ cultural institutions that are most proximate to our current consciousness, that we must encounter. 

Federica wrote:
AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:23 am Let's revisit the CEO hierarchical metaphor that Cleric used in the morphic spaces essay. That was, of course, a metaphor for the very structure of reality. I would like to understand what you feel is the essential difference between that hierarchical structure and, for ex., what we find in the RCC. What makes it less separating, less divide and rule, etc., apart from the influence of corrupted souls who may play the role of 'CEO' at any given time? If it's only a matter of 'personal or partisan interests', then the hierarchy could theoretically be redeemed as soon as those personalities or interests die out and new ones come in. So I feel like it must be something more than that for you.

To answer your CEO question, i.e. what makes certain hierarchies diverge from the ‘natural’ principle of hierarchical organization of all reality, beyond the isolated negative influence of certain individuals. I would say that, for better or worse, the influence of certain individualities can hardly be isolated and extracted from the institutions or forms within which that individuality has formed and developed (by the way, I am surprised that you put the question in these terms, or maybe I don’t understand it). In the case of the RCC in particular it seems to me that its structure, under the negative influence of certain forces, has evolved to a form that alone has the potential to work against wholesome spiritual development of individuals. For example, if at the times of Steiner its reaction to the scientific revolution has been the ‘jealous’ reaction to impose that an oath is taken by all clergy (as Steiner reports) it seems to me that in our present times the tactic has radically changed. The role of jealous spouse who requests a reaffirmed commitment has been discarded, and now the strategy is to obtain commitment by surreptitiously partnering with the bewitching lover instead.

I am still not really clear on what you mean by "its structure". In my view, the zooming in approach should be made not for the purpose of forming critical opinions and judgments (which is essentially politics), but for the purpose of making the overarching principles concrete and alive within our consciousness. That is why I mention or ask for specific examples. You point to the perceived 'strategy' that you see the RCC leadership taking in our time, but I don't understand how that relates to "its structure", which of course is not a static object. I think about its structure as the "Holy See of Peter", the institution of festivals, rites, sacraments, and dogmas/creeds, the life and work of the saints to which the faithful pray, the philosophy and theology of the saints, and so forth (much of which it shares in common with the EOC). I also wouldn't completely ignore the partisan and power-hungry roles and strategies it has taken over the centuries, but I view that as the outermost skin of its whole organic structure. All of that institutional organism is structured through and reflecting of hierarchical principles. What is your view on those things?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

Ashvin,

Thank you, this expansion is of great help to keep track of what has to be done. It brings together the various sides of the question of symbols versus concepts. I certainly don’t want to hinder spiritual progression more than inevitable, or swell the ranks of those who, consciously or unconsciously, work against the redemption of our cultural institutions, by lack of understanding and honest self enquiry. So I am focusing on doing, because, as you say, the opinions I speak of are loose steps that I expect to eventually leave behind. I expect to see them change, as I keep thinking. So I'm trying to speed up the process, and see what happens. A few comments:
AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:13 pm I suppose most people in the esoteric context simply tend to refrain from making the assertions/opinions at that stage.
I wonder if it's really possible. It’s difficult for me to see how one can take any step forward without positioning oneself in some way, in relation to the ideas one is presented with. Is there a way to apprehend them at first without at the same time forming an opinion? As it seems to me, in the conceptual world, an opinion is the means by which an idea is received, even when one thinks “I am not sure about that”. And even when the symbolic approach is discovered, isn't it inevitable that opinions will continue to appear? I wonder: aren’t you expressing an opinion when you state that materialism is a “very recent fantasy that can’t be called a tradition in any reasonable sense” and aren’t you conveying the language of conceptual structures and not symbols, when you speak of it as “the antithesis of cultural tradition”?
Ashvin wrote:Once the latter happens, it is like a bit of karma that we have cast out into the World and therefore it will serve as an attractor force for future spiritual activity. Generally that means it will keep drawing our feeling and thinking back to it, even when we have encountered new insights that should modify or discard the opinions.
I realize that. It’s a rewarding experience to observe the phenomenon in oneself - admitting that one succeeds in getting a handle on it. It’s probably the same thing as the well known devil's advocate, applied to our own opinions.
Ashvin wrote: Our conceptual judgments, as imperceptible as they are and as trivial as they may seem compared to a chemical substance, can support quite similarly degenerative habits in our thought-life.
Yes, it’s the same thing, because it’s all perceptual (it works perfectly with me, to compare that to drugs, great choice of argument :) )
we can ask ourselves what we really know about the EOC or RCC, for ex. Unless we were raised in those structures, what we know are mental pictures
True, and the motivation to play the devil’s advocate is grounded in this realization, that I actually know very little by direct experience.

Topographic map - is this an extract of an upcoming esoteric website? :)
But when it comes to spiritual realities explored with conceptual activity, we have the hardest time remembering this, even though the danger of confusing the symbol-image for the territory is much greater for our inner life.

I recognize a preponderant part of what I do is conceptual exploration of spiritual realities, and what remains is insufficiently directed by the Will. I also definitely recognize the memory struggles. Though I remember the greater danger you speak of was recently mentioned by Cleric, with regard to the mandala meditation.
I simply don't think it is correct to say that Steiner "is suggesting the student to use those 'facts' as support to form temporary, provisional opinions about the worlds, lower and higher". It would be like using the information contained in the map above to form opinions about the qualitative significance of the territory it is mapping.

Ok, I see. But even when one tries to take the topography for what it wants to be - a guide to assist future direct explorations of the territory - isn’t the element of opinion still present, but in a subtler way? Because I still have to decide that I will rely on this map and not on another one, and I will attempt to get a sense of how well the topographic curves have been drawn, if there appears any inconsistencies in their form, what they say of some small areas of the territory I may have some direct knowledge of, etc. Is it not better to acknowledge what it seems to me as an inevitable part of our initial approach?
So we should always pay attention to what sort of 'provisional judgments' we are making about spiritual realities. If they make us feel we really understand the true nature of the reality in question - that we can safely sidestep further inner exploration - then they are being employed for purposes of a closed loop conceptual system.(...)

It is helpful to remember that symbolic ordering is really our native mode of spiritual activity.( …)
It may also help to remember why symbolic ordering works - because, as Scott discussed before, the OP is Spiritual Activity.
Yes, that’s all very useful and clear.
I hope what now follows will be an example, however crude, of reading the content of an excerpt from Steiner's lectures with the ideal of symbolically working through that content to get a fluid, but still concrete sense of the spiritual landscape he is painting. (...)
So the following isn't about forming conclusive or even temporary judgments about the essential nature of the EOC or the Russian folk, but holding the content as symbols that help us acquire a textured sense for the way in which these cultural phenomena spiritually evolve.
Yes, I can see that, with the help of the example. I believe that part of the attachment to opinions, however loosely they may be held, is a fear of indetermination, of losing the means to orientation. I realize in fact it’s the opposite. Opinions can easily get us stuck, which can be seen by remembering that proper orientation doesn't mean to cut to the chase in one direction with laser-sharp focus, but to radiate in all directions by letting the light of Thinking shine through.

[/quote]
The reason why it is impossible to observe thinking in the actual moment of its occurrence is the very same which makes it possible for us to know it more immediately and more intimately thany any other process in the world.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:44 pm
Federica wrote: To answer your CEO question, i.e. what makes certain hierarchies diverge from the ‘natural’ principle of hierarchical organization of all reality, beyond the isolated negative influence of certain individuals. I would say that, for better or worse, the influence of certain individualities can hardly be isolated and extracted from the institutions or forms within which that individuality has formed and developed (by the way, I am surprised that you put the question in these terms, or maybe I don’t understand it). In the case of the RCC in particular it seems to me that its structure, under the negative influence of certain forces, has evolved to a form that alone has the potential to work against wholesome spiritual development of individuals. For example, if at the times of Steiner its reaction to the scientific revolution has been the ‘jealous’ reaction to impose that an oath is taken by all clergy (as Steiner reports) it seems to me that in our present times the tactic has radically changed. The role of jealous spouse who requests a reaffirmed commitment has been discarded, and now the strategy is to obtain commitment by surreptitiously partnering with the bewitching lover instead.

I am still not really clear on what you mean by "its structure". In my view, the zooming in approach should be made not for the purpose of forming critical opinions and judgments (which is essentially politics), but for the purpose of making the overarching principles concrete and alive within our consciousness. That is why I mention or ask for specific examples. You point to the perceived 'strategy' that you see the RCC leadership taking in our time, but I don't understand how that relates to "its structure", which of course is not a static object. I think about its structure as the "Holy See of Peter", the institution of festivals, rites, sacraments, and dogmas/creeds, the life and work of the saints to which the faithful pray, the philosophy and theology of the saints, and so forth (much of which it shares in common with the EOC). I also wouldn't completely ignore the partisan and power-hungry roles and strategies it has taken over the centuries, but I view that as the outermost skin of its whole organic structure. All of that institutional organism is structured through and reflecting of hierarchical principles. What is your view on those things?

Ashvin,

I realize all this has little to do with symbolic ordering, however, by ‘structure’ I meant the organizational makeup of the RCC as a worldly, political and societal institution of the present time. When I hear the word “church” my thoughts go to the hierarchical structure - the pope, all the various ranks of the ecclesia and their attributions, their formalized political functioning as State, internal and international, their influential productions in terms of encyclicals, laws, circulars, acts of official assemblies, public addresses, and whatever else is produced and published that is to rule the administrative, practical, social, and spiritual life of all their salaried clergy, and to manage the enormous amounts of wealth, land, estate and commercial operations and agreements that have been amassed throughout the centuries. Secondarily, my thoughts go to the RCC presence within the societal fabric, in terms of capillary presence at all levels of society, through religious services, catechism, education of various sorts, associations, sports, commercial activities, events and gatherings, collaborations with the civil society, and so on. The rites, dogmas, creeds and sacraments are a limited, probably a minor part of what the RCC does in the physical world, in my perception. I would call those aspects the traditions, the symbols, that are still relevant to the minority of members who cultivate a living faith and remain attached to the rites and ceremonies in a personal and traditional way.
Ashvin wrote:You point to the perceived 'strategy' that you see the RCC leadership taking in our time, but I don't understand how that relates to "its structure”.
The RCC strategy relates closely to its structure, if we intend the word structure as I did in this context. The strategy is the meaningful emanation of that structure, and because the RCC has a strongly hierarchical makeup, that strategy is cascaded down to influence the lower organizational levels. I have referred in particular to strategy in keeping with what Steiner refers to in the lecture, when speaking of how the Church as political institution had been awake to, and had responded to the threat to its survival represented by the ascent of materialism, communism, and the new ideal of a planned society, in which any religious impulse would be considered extravagant and completely unnecessary. I was referring to the Rcc “as a mighty corporation” to use Steiner’s own words in that lecture, which it really is to the present day: a mighty corporation.

All the above is to answer your question in detail. Now, with all that being said, I am open to "switch gears" and let go of all these worldly, time-bound aspects of the symbol-church, allowing a larger, looser perspective to emerge, that wishes to integrate the symbolic meaning of the Church as an evolving organism, not limited to the worldly skin of the RCC institution, and closely interconnected with our individual identity.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:34 pm Ashvin,

Thank you, this expansion is of great help to keep track of what has to be done. It brings together the various sides of the question of symbols versus concepts. I certainly don’t want to hinder spiritual progression more than inevitable, or swell the ranks of those who, consciously or unconsciously, work against the redemption of our cultural institutions, by lack of understanding and honest self enquiry. So I am focusing on doing, because, as you say, the opinions I speak of are loose steps that I expect to eventually leave behind. I expect to see them change, as I keep thinking. So I'm trying to speed up the process, and see what happens. A few comments:
AshvinP wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:13 pm I suppose most people in the esoteric context simply tend to refrain from making the assertions/opinions at that stage.
I wonder if it's really possible. It’s difficult for me to see how one can take any step forward without positioning oneself in some way, in relation to the ideas one is presented with. Is there a way to apprehend them at first without at the same time forming an opinion? As it seems to me, in the conceptual world, an opinion is the means by which an idea is received, even when one thinks “I am not sure about that”. And even when the symbolic approach is discovered, isn't it inevitable that opinions will continue to appear? I wonder: aren’t you expressing an opinion when you state that materialism is a “very recent fantasy that can’t be called a tradition in any reasonable sense” and aren’t you conveying the language of conceptual structures and not symbols, when you speak of it as “the antithesis of cultural tradition”?
Ok, I see. But even when one tries to take the topography for what it wants to be - a guide to assist future direct explorations of the territory - isn’t the element of opinion still present, but in a subtler way? Because I still have to decide that I will rely on this map and not on another one, and I will attempt to get a sense of how well the topographic curves have been drawn, if there appears any inconsistencies in their form, what they say of some small areas of the territory I may have some direct knowledge of, etc. Is it not better to acknowledge what it seems to me as an inevitable part of our initial approach?

Federica,

There is perhaps some confusion here. I can see that my remarks may have given the impression that we should somehow withhold from forming definite thoughts in our minds about spiritual reality and simply flow along symbolic curvatures of meaning in real-time, while we are reading. That's not what I intended to convey. Perfecting that symbolic flow is a skill we can develop, but we are still forming definite thoughts and assessments of the meaning we are flowing through. Often the symbolic assessment will come after we finish reading a whole section and reflect on it. Ultimately, the difference between an 'opinion/judgment' or a 'symbol', in this context, is our intention in relation to the meaning we are thoughtfully assessing. One person could take the same thoughtfully assessed meaning and make an 'opinion' out of it while another keeps it as a fluid symbol that steers their spiritual activity towards inner understanding and perfection. 

For ex. we are all familiar with modern philosophy to some extent - some people engage with a philosophy to derive the content of their ideas about 'reality', i.e. is it material, ideal, psychic, spiritual, etc., how do we get the ideal from the material or vice versa, how does it all function, and so forth. Other people engage with philosophy to get a living feel for the evolution of thinking consciousness and archetypal soul-tendencies through which these systems of thought come into being. The latter is the symbolic intention. It always leads to insights about our own evolving inner nature and patterns of be-ing and to further questions about what it all means. Once we move from the peripheral forms to the central insights, we ray back out to the peripheral forms with the same symbolic intention of kindling our intuitive understanding of life itself. 

One way to test that intention is to ask, "is this judgment that I formed capable of remaining valid no matter what new facts come to light or events take place?". So the assessment that materialism, as an intellectually rooted way of life, stems from forgetfulness of the Spirit, cannot really be modified no matter what future facts/insights/events come to light. Notice that I am not judging materialism to be absolutely 'wrong' or bad or irredeemable. Forgetfulness has been a key part of our spiritual evolution for some time now. Every day we forget what was experienced during sleep and that is necessary for most people to function properly during the day. Or Steiner, for ex., speaks of how forgetfulness of previous incarnations may be a good thing for many people today, given the lack of spiritual maturity. Many people would let that reincarnation knowledge interfere with how they go about the tasks they need to fulfill for their current incarnation. Likewise, Tomberg writes about how reincarnation knowledge may not be advisable for certain professions:

For the Hermeticist it is a fact which is either known through experience or ignored. Just as one does not make propaganda for or against the fact that we sleep at night and wake up anew each morning—for this is a matter of experience—so is the fact that we die and are born anew a matter of experience, i.e. either one has certainty about it or else one does not. But those who are certain should know that ignorance of reincarnation often has very profound and even sublime reasons associated with the vocation of the person in question. When, for example, a person has a vocation which demands a maximum of concentration in the present, he may renounce all spiritual memories of the past. Because the awakened memory is not always beneficial; it is often a burden. It is so, above all, when it is a matter of a vocation which demands an attitude entirely free of all prejudice, as is the case with the vocations of priest, doctor and judge. The priest, doctor and judge have to concentrate themselves in such a way on the tasks of the present that they must not be distracted by memories of former existences.

Anonymous . Meditations on the Tarot (pp. 92-93). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

So there are still a lot of mysteries wrapped up in "materialism is the forgetfulness of spiritual tradition" that I don't intend to expose through some conceptual system. It is simply an inner recognition that any path which dims knowledge of the spiritual is breaking off the chain of remembrance that is characteristic of tradition. Even what Tomberg writes above should be taken as a symbol for inner contemplation, pointing towards the mysteries of reincarnation knowledge, rather than as an absolute conceptual framework to apply where we conclude, "doctors and judges should never have memories of their former existences if they are to carry out their vocation properly". There could be facts and circumstances where a spiritually mature doctor could retain such knowledge without letting it unduly influence his diagnosis and treatment of patients. If we can imagine such facts and circumstances easily coming to manifestation, then there is no use in holding such things as solid judgments, only as loose indicators of how we can usefully think through such topics. 

Or if we take your assessment of the RCC's exoteric structure in the previous post, I would say it is fine to make that assessment if we intend it as a tiny stepping stone, rock climbing hold, etc, that supports our journey into the deeper mysteries of its whole hierarchical organism (and all organisms must be hierarchical) that extends across many centuries. If we use the assessment to make conclusive judgments about the RCC organization and its role in World Evolution (and we have discussed the issue with 'provisional' judgments), however, then I would say we have fallen away from the symbolic approach. It would be similar to making conclusive judgments about an essential individuality by focusing on his-her organization and 'strategies' rooted in the personality that has manifested in any given incarnation. These essential relations are the realities we need to approach through our esoteric striving, and the non-symbolic judgments simply prejudice our approach and therefore get in the way of that. 

I don't want to give the impression that this symbolic approach is something we can sustain by straining the intellect further and further, i.e. by forcing it to go into 'symbolic mode'. We can certainly take a symbolic approach to natural appearances and many cultural appearances (like modern philosophical worldviews could become symbolic of the archetypal soul tendencies that informed them), but when it comes to supra-sensory communications about the planetary incarnations, realms, planes, bodies, elements, and so forth, it becomes more difficult to work with these as symbols for inner realities if we haven't deepened our own inner experience. So the only viable path to loosening the intellect enough for that to become consistent is through communion with the etheric, soul, and spirit worlds, i.e. meditation and prayer. It is only through those higher impulses that we humbly allow to work subtly within our being that we resolve the paradoxes of the intellect, like perceiving meaning as definite thoughts and fluid symbols at the same time. 

"But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4)
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:56 pm (...)
This is all very well explained and clear, Ashvin, thank you.
I feel that nothing more could be done in order to clarify the matter for someone else by means of words.