Massimo Scaligero

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Massimo Scaligero

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:42 pm In this lecture, I found the description of the link between brain and thinking activity very clarifying. Scaligero’s words have a particularly vivid, inspired quality all throughout the hour. The main topics:

- Difference between social and political impulse. Tripartition.
- Elemental beings
- Active currents of brain activity
- The meaning of the Immaculate Conception: Eve, the Virgin Mary, Isis Sophia

Thank you for your continuing efforts to bring us these extremely valuable lectures, Federica! MS brings a level of depth to these topics that is comparable to Steiner himself.

MS wrote:We have a continual relationship with the elemental beings, and we have a big responsibility towards them, because they are at our service. For example, there are the elemental beings linked to electricity. They have fallen down to a low level, to serve man as electrical servants. ENEL [the national electricity provider] doesn’t know that [laughs]. How should humanity respond to this service offered by the elemental beings? By using electricity spiritually. All that is electrical energy should serve spiritual purposes. But go find someone who really does that! Everyone today uses electricity to do their own thing as they please, to enjoy life egoistically. That means that these elemental beings are accumulating an anti-human power, aroused by humanity itself. In other words, there is a worsening of their evolution. As a consequence - our Doctor says - in the future evolution of the Earth, these beings will incarnate as frightening spider creatures, in between the plant and the animal kingdoms. See, one must have had the impression of a plant that looks almost like an animal, to feel a sense of horror. One day I had that experience, I saw a plant that was moving... It was actually a green lizard moving on the plant. But the moment I had the impression of seeing a moving plant, I felt a sense of horror. Then it immediately disappeared, when I saw it was a lizard, and it ran away.

Now these elemental beings also live in magnetism, and are connected with nuclear energy as well. At a higher level, they work around the plants. Some of them are marvelous, up to the sylphs, and to entities of light. When we are in contact with Nature we feel a magnificent life coming from these beings. This is the etheric world. The etheric world is not an abstract world of mechanical forces. We have a hard time conceiving anything that is not mechanical. When we speak of the etheric world, we don’t have to imagine an enormous etheric mechanism, no. They are beings, like thoughts are beings, like feelings are beings. They are all beings, and we are in continuous relationship with these beings. When we have trivial thoughts, it’s because we are in a relationship with beings who encourage triviality. When we start to liberate thinking, we have to fight, because so far we have been associated with vampiric, degrading thoughts that don’t leave us easily. Hence concentration is difficult.

This section reminds me of how grateful we can be for the Ark which is the daybreak of our intellectual reasoning. We scarcely imagine how our environment is teeming with beings of all sorts and every act, desire, feeling, and thought occurs in connection with such beings. Sometimes we get a sense of this in our dreams, when some dark oppressive creature is connected with certain passions and inclinations, or the 'vampiric, degrading thoughts that don't leave us easily'. Such experience is closer to the reality of our ideational life and is always present but veiled from us by our lucid concepts. The latter give us the chance to develop our faculties in relative peace before we courageously venture back into the dark waters of the soul and spirit worlds, but now armed with the radiant Christ impulse.

I am also reminded of Are Thoresen's comment about how the solar grid takes very high elemental beings and imprisons them in electricity, leading to great resentment against humanity. That is 'counter-intuitive' for most people who would say we are doing something great for Nature by using solar power. I think it goes to show that any attempts to address the environmental problems with technological innovation which is not also accompanied by inner moral transformation, so that it serves lofty spiritual redemptive purposes, will only further alienate us from the beings of Nature.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:40 pm This section reminds me of how grateful we can be for the Ark which is the daybreak of our intellectual reasoning. We scarcely imagine how our environment is teeming with beings of all sorts and every act, desire, feeling, and thought occurs in connection with such beings. Sometimes we get a sense of this in our dreams, when some dark oppressive creature is connected with certain passions and inclinations, or the 'vampiric, degrading thoughts that don't leave us easily'. Such experience is closer to the reality of our ideational life and is always present but veiled from us by our lucid concepts. The latter give us the chance to develop our faculties in relative peace before we courageously venture back into the dark waters of the soul and spirit worlds, but now armed with the radiant Christ impulse.

I am also reminded of Are Thoresen's comment about how the solar grid takes very high elemental beings and imprisons them in electricity, leading to great resentment against humanity. That is 'counter-intuitive' for most people who would say we are doing something great for Nature by using solar power. I think it goes to show that any attempts to address the environmental problems with technological innovation which is not also accompanied by inner moral transformation, so that it serves lofty spiritual redemptive purposes, will only further alienate us from the beings of Nature.
I'm glad you find them valuable, Ashvin. I completely agree. For me in addition to the clarifying power of the comments there is also the national aspect, that I have grown stranger to through the years, and that I have a great chance to reconnect with through these lectures.

I had a similar thought about solar energy, that I used to bluntly consider a desirable source of renewable energy. Following Thoresen's reference to the various elemental beings involved in the production of electricity, geothermal energy seems to be the least damaging...
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:41 am
AshvinP wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:40 pm This section reminds me of how grateful we can be for the Ark which is the daybreak of our intellectual reasoning. We scarcely imagine how our environment is teeming with beings of all sorts and every act, desire, feeling, and thought occurs in connection with such beings. Sometimes we get a sense of this in our dreams, when some dark oppressive creature is connected with certain passions and inclinations, or the 'vampiric, degrading thoughts that don't leave us easily'. Such experience is closer to the reality of our ideational life and is always present but veiled from us by our lucid concepts. The latter give us the chance to develop our faculties in relative peace before we courageously venture back into the dark waters of the soul and spirit worlds, but now armed with the radiant Christ impulse.

I'm glad you find them valuable, Ashvin. I completely agree. For me in addition to the clarifying power of the comments there is also the national aspect, that I have grown stranger to through the years, and that I have a great chance to reconnect with through these lectures.

I had a similar thought about solar energy, that I used to bluntly consider a desirable source of renewable energy. Following Thoresen's reference to the various elemental beings involved in the production of electricity, geothermal energy seems to be the least damaging...

For me, all of these forms of energy can be used as tools in the appropriate circumstances and heal the divisions with beings of Nature IF that latter part is truly the intended aim. When we pursue such technologies simply to maintain our current materialistic standard of living, and bring even more people into that selfish way of living, then we should only expect increasing levels of mistrust and resentment by those beings who are sacrificing their Sun and Air existence to generate electricity for our civilization. However, if more people were using that electricity as we are on this forum for ex., i.e. as a means of sharing ways for people to transform themselves inwardly through intuitive thinking and thereby commune more consciously with the spiritual worlds and their higher-order intents, then the elemental beings would naturally discern that their sacrifice comes in service to a greater cause that also includes their redemption. All beings will have to continue to make sacrifices along the way, but the level of harmony between beings will be determined by whether there is a shared consciousness of common liberating goals or whether each being is demanding sacrifices of others for their own narrow development at the expense of the Whole.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:34 pm
Federica wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:41 am

For me, all of these forms of energy can be used as tools in the appropriate circumstances and heal the divisions with beings of Nature IF that latter part is truly the intended aim. When we pursue such technologies simply to maintain our current materialistic standard of living, and bring even more people into that selfish way of living, then we should only expect increasing levels of mistrust and resentment by those beings who are sacrificing their Sun and Air existence to generate electricity for our civilization. However, if more people were using that electricity as we are on this forum for ex., i.e. as a means of sharing ways for people to transform themselves inwardly through intuitive thinking and thereby commune more consciously with the spiritual worlds and their higher-order intents, then the elemental beings would naturally discern that their sacrifice comes in service to a greater cause that also includes their redemption. All beings will have to continue to make sacrifices along the way, but the level of harmony between beings will be determined by whether there is a shared consciousness of common liberating goals or whether each being is demanding sacrifices of others for their own narrow development at the expense of the Whole.
Absolutely. I am growing in this realization, both as understanding and as action.
Above I was simply elaborating on Thoresen's exact words, when he says that hydroelectricity is bad but not too bad, wind power is worse than hydroelectricity, and solar power is the worse of all.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Another Q&A [1] with MS, adressing:

- Joy of life and joy of being
- The innocent victim
- Coping with Ahrimanic forces
- Sacred love and human love
- Flower meditation

Rome, December 24, 1978

"How to find the joy of being?"
It's rather difficult, because we first need to distinguish the joy of life - the joy of existing - from the joy of being. The joy of life is very legitimate. It's the connection of the soul with the body. It's animal joy. When we see a satiated animal that takes a nap, a cat that is satisfied, happy, after eating, purring… that’s the joy of life. True, man has self-consciousness. But we can't say that man's consciousness has sure control of what happens when the soul feels the joy of existing, the joy of living. Usually people take a moment to reflect and it goes like that: "Good! This business has ended well, that other one too, tomorrow I'm invited for dinner, then I'll take winter sport vacation, later I'll read that interesting book, and then have that great meeting, then I will sit and meditate… life is good!" and let's not add other things to the list…

I believe I'm speaking to friends who are fairly worn out these days, based on my conversations with you. Indeed, it's only after certain inner trials that one can intuit what the joy of being is. And… the joy of being has a cost, because it's the joy of the spirit. This is when the spirit connects with the body through the soul, and causes pain, as a means to liberation. Pain is inevitable. Also, pain is increased by our powerful impulse to avoid it. Who is able to say, while in pain: “Here it is, let's endure that, I'm happy to endure this pain"? But let's recall an event that we already referred to a couple of months ago. We spoke about that young woman affected by cancer. She was sent back home from hospital because inoperable. And she was suffering the pain of hell. She was complaining, screaming: “Why am I supposed to suffer like that?” And the Virgin Mary appeared to her. She told her: “You are suffering for Christ”. And the young woman had an epiphany: “If it is so that I am suffering for Christ, then I’m happy”. A great joy pervaded her, and she was cured. She had been unable to quit the bed for months, but in that moment she rose up from bed.

From our viewpoint, we can say that she must have suffered so much, and transformed her being so much, that the moment had come when a deed of profound communion was enough, a flash of profound communion. Her healing was waiting for her. This woman’s intuition is very interesting because, in an instant, she realized the reason for her suffering: “I am suffering for a glorious purpose that has to do with the whole of humanity”. This thought illumined her, and she was cured. This is the way to healing. To the extent that we repel pain, to the extent that we deem it unfair, that we consider it personal pain that we absolutely must get rid of, pain may temporarily subside, but then it comes back. It doesn’t matter whether it’s physical or psychic pain. It’s the same thing. Pain is one, and it’s always psychic, including when it’s physical, since it always happens in a seat where we only are free when we are in an unconscious state, like for instance during sleep. We can achieve the same condition with sedatives. They put the nervous system to sleep and subtract consciousness for a while, but later pain resumes.

We are close to Christmas Eve, and I believe it’s appropriate to indicate the heroic method, from time to time. Indeed, we have already indicated it, since that young woman intuited something that truly belongs to spiritual science. It’s about knowing that one endures suffering for the good of the whole of humanity. Therefore, one is able to accept it, and to welcome a winning strength at the same time. This is the process that we propose: to acquire the inner lucidity - and I would also say the faithful feeling - that the healing force is received through our ability to accept and endure without rebellion, but with confident fortitude, so that suffering and pain are overcome. When that happens, one may experience a feeling of joy. We can recognize that in every Saint. They all experienced periods of continuous joy in them.

Saint Cottolengo used to say that there was a sort of inebriation with the divine. Not that he didn’t traverse terrible moments, nevertheless there was this inebriation, a joy of being that was always keeping him afloat, throughout all situations. He even used to say “I will have a little drink”. He meant: “I will intoxicate myself with the divine”, and when he met devout people, people who knew the joy of being, who trusted the victory of Good over Evil unconditionally, he used to say: “He too likes to drink a little drop of divine, he inebriates himself sometimes.”

You see, anyone who has known a high level of inner tension knows this joy of being. For example, Mother Teresa of Calcutta speaks in that booklet of “smiling in God”. And shall we quote Aurobindo? “Know pure joy, and you will know the divine”. This image is from him. Pure joy does not mean the joy of the senses. Indeed, it’s a joy that comes after suffering, it comes from suffering. It’s the transformation of the darkest sorrow into bliss. We have spoken about these things for years, but one thing is to speak about them, another one is to realize them. When we experience sorrow, pain, suffering, it’s inevitable that anger and rebellion are mixed in. It’s the adversarial ego that makes suffering impure. If we subtract the rebellion, the ego, the obscure side from the pain, then suffering is purified, it’s transformed and can transmute into bliss. This being said, we can put this question aside, though we might say something more about it.

Lazarus’ resurrection is in karmic relation with the killing of Abel. Will the just always become an innocent victim?
What an insidious, terrible and anacathartic question, let me show you now [laughs]. No, no, I’m joking, this question really is asked with great strength of will of inner reality, and that’s important. The answer is, yes, it’s absolutely so. By the way, Abel’s sacrifice was inevitable, like any sacrifice from Socrates onward, we can say. It’s not a matter of an innocent victim. It’s a matter of a transfiguring force that ignores the sense of death. Think about the Pentecost. At Pentecost, the disciples were the best men existing on Earth, still they had their human weaknesses. They weren’t truly strong, but at Pentecost they deserved to have the strength that enables one to ignore any fear - the fear of death, the fear of being a victim.

Or when Saint Francis, in front of the Sultan of… I don’t remember which sultan, when he challenged the sages at the Sultan's court, ready for any trial, including the one with boiling water. The sages lost their composure, because they realized that he was perfectly serious. Saint Francis' certainty was providing him with the conception of the absolute impossibility of a physical breakdown. It’s the power of Spirit that takes matter and supports it, allowing it to go through fire. This can’t originate from the intellect, or from the mind. It only can come from the force of Logos itself, since it’s a matter of facing an extremely powerful being, whom we call Ahriman.

He is an important figure. It’s Ahriman who armed Cain’s fist, instigating him to murder his brother. Ahriman is behind everything man has to face in terms of obscure nature, aversion, and greed. He is the being behind all that, and we shouldn’t forget how powerful a being he is. He belongs to such a level that, if he had followed his normal course of development, he would be in the first hierarchy, the hierarchy of the Seraphim and Cherubim. He is an old Spirit of Wisdom, allow me to make this statement, since we learn that from our Doctor’s work. However, it’s not that we just drink in information that we later regurgitate. There is always an inner verification that makes us feel the transcendent truth of these images, and gives us the strength to make them pass through the thinking consciousness.

Ahriman’s power is so big that Jehova, for instance, wouldn’t have had the ability to face him. For this reason, Jehovah’s kingdom ended when the Luciferic powers were no longer sufficient to cope with man’s materialistic experiences. In this way, man entered the sphere of Ahriman, who is more powerful than Jehovah, and an epoch began when man had to either rediscover an original force, much greater than Ahriman’s, or to become Ahriman’s prey. Such was the world’s situation on the eve of the coming of Christ. The world at that juncture was leaning towards Ahriman.

In older times, all Eastern doctrines, from Taoism to Yoga, had been underpinned by a wise current of Luciferic illumination, guided by superior powers. At the same time there had been a secret current underlying all the Eastern streams - especially the Indian one - that we can call the current of Logos, the current of Christ. That current was perfectly aware of what man had to do, of what had to happen. That Christic current inspired all forms of Eastern wisdom, albeit through their individual limitations. We can say that that ancient wisdom shone one last time in Greek philosophy and in the ethic and juridical power of Romanness. After which a point was reached when the risk appeared of going below human. It happened precisely in Greco-Roman times, when Christ appeared. That’s been a really serious juncture. Indeed, Christ has come exactly at that point in time, bringing the impulse for the reintegration of man. I recall that Jehovah was an Elohim. Christ appeared as the force of the seven Elohims. He is the synthesis of the Elohims, not that He was an Elohim Himself. Christ works even through the Angels, the Archangel Michael, and through all higher hierarchies. But to operate on Earth and face Ahriman’s attacks, He works through the Elohims, the Spirits of Form.

Coping with the power of Ahriman is only possible if we open the way to the Christ impulse, but not by following the interpretations of it that have succeeded each other over time. In fact, only during the first three centuries after Christ these interpretations retained an echo of the ancient light of Lucifer, that was still there, aiding man to preserve something of the Christ impulse. But afterwards, as these heavenly Luciferic forces were subsiding, Christians found themselves embarrassed under the influence of Ahriman, no longer capable of truly comprehending the Christ being. That’s when theology began. Then the situation became extremely serious and it was only with the intervention that you know, of Christian Rosenkreuz, that a translation of the Christ impulse was initiated into a synthesis of both Saint Fracis’ monasticism and those impulses that were meant to find expression in science.

Now looking at the current situation, we can say that we are really stuck. The ancient Ahrimanic impulse, the impulse that armed Cain’s hand, is back. It’s back and it’s strong, now that man has been abandoned by all the ancient supporting powers that used to help him out, by tradition. This is what gnosis means. When we have the courage to recognise that gnosis is a formation of the heavenly Lucifer - not of the Christ - we will realize that understanding Christ is terribly difficult, that a true act of metanoia is absolutely required, that is, an act of transcendence of our consciousness of self. Notice, the scientific impulse today - to which we gratefully owe the objective method of inquiry in the experience of thinking, which means everything - goes nonetheless so far as to kill intuitive thinking, and to kill the individual element that grounds the action of Christ. It enforces a lower impersonality, an abstract collectivism that turns into mechanicism, and into what you already know. That’s Ahriman’s dominion, well described by Orwell in “1984” - we are getting closer.

This dominion exists, it’s real, not only in the East, but also in the West, also in America. This abstract mechanicism fed by science, by rational logic and so on, is like a steel net that spares no one. Still, the power of Logos goes ahead, even through these Ahrimanic powers. They will be routed, but routed through pain, because where knowledge doesn’t work, suffering works. That’s why it’s crucial to put knowledge and thinking to work. Our Doctor has indicated the path of thinking in Occult Science, but only in passing, at the end of the chapter on Initiation. Later he didn’t mention it often, apart in the last letters, because he knew how difficult it is to communicate what the path of thinking really is, to prevent that it’s intended as a sort of high-rank rationalism, as sickening intellectualism. For this reason he has insisted more on the resurrection of imagination, through Goethe. He has largely referred to a less known Goethe, even correcting some of his mistakes. It would take a long recollection to do justice to our Doctor’s legacy in this area, for example on the question of light and colors, where he went beyond Goethe. Goethe is important because of his approach to the living world and the inanimate world, independent of scientific frameworks. In conclusion, the battle against Ahriman entirely depends on the power of thinking.

At this point, should we bring in the question of the Manicheans? We were asking: “how is it possible that there’s always an innocent victim?” Well, it was Mani… he was innocent. The truth about Mani is tough. Saint Augustine was firstly fascinated by Manicheism, only to become horrified by it. Throughout the centuries, Manicheism has been vilified and even today there is this expression in use: "a Manichean truth", to intend something devious, that hides the truth. Here we have an innocent victim, a victim who has nonetheless empowered Christianity to the highest level.This thought can be used as a cue in meditation. One day the truth will be uncovered: this this is the planet of Ahriman, the planet of lies... It means that if you want the truth to be discovered you will have to actively speak it. It’s not enough to be truthful, you also have to make the truth apparent, otherwise everything you do will be interpreted backwards, according to everyone’s subjective images. Truth is tough. Not only that, it’s also that truth is not static, since it lies in thinking. Truth is the etheric power of thinking. That’s what truth is, there is no other truth.

For example, when Galileo intuited those laws, the truth of those laws is the etheric moment when he had the intuition. That etheric moment is everything. That’s the intuition our Doctor speaks of in the Philosophy of Freedom. There is the Logos. There begins Christ, Christ who has been operating all throughout the Middle Ages, waiting for the self-conscious man to come. Back then, he used to act through the astral body, through feeling. In Christianity, the series of martyrs, saints, devotees, those who were able to perform miracles, represent a grand initiation in feeling the Christ being. In contrast to that, we have to grasp what the modern world is, since the old world no longer has any power of action. Today people smile, naively and pathologically… they don’t see how we are in the sphere of Ahriman, that don't see that science is Ahrimanic, thinking is Ahrimanic. With this, we are not saying anything against thinking, since Ahrimanic thinking is the necessary starting point. Still, we have to understand that it’s about developing a force that’s inherent in Ahrimanic thinking, but has nothing to do with intellectualism. I have been fighting against this for years, and when I encounter, again and again, those fancy speakers, impeccably adorned, who explain the Philosophy of Freedom, I…. I suffer, because I know it’s not what they are talking about, I know that one really has to struggle in order to attain this force of thinking.

When we really think, a powerful reality enters the becoming of the universe. In fact, the thinking faculty of man is like… I don’t know… a waterfall, an erupting volcano. It’s a force that is elevated by the presence of the Logos in it. We wouldn’t have this power without the Logos. This was Socrates’ intuition ahead of the coming of Christ, which is why Socrates called the concept “logos”. In his greatness, he was, we can say, a friend of Christ. However he knew the logos only in sleep, only ecstatically. Today, thinking is the way. After the Resurrection of Christ, thinking gained the power of entering materiality, which explains the lower fruit of mechanical thinking, but we have to recover its higher force now. It’s our duty.

When we think, we truly access the highest spiritual powers, and when we think dully, when we enslave thinking to our sensual plans, we become its degraders. This degradation of thinking is a never-ending sin that extends to everything. The other day we discussed electricity and magnetism, for example. These are degraded, fallen etheric forces. Man has operated their demise, which is why they have been discovered only recently. In antiquity, that possibility didn’t exist, since the degradation on the physical plane was not extensive enough. Today, Christ tells man to make use of these forces, to consecrate them, to use electricity for purposes that serve Christ. Of course, this does not happen and electricity is used to serve one’s own comfort. This applies not only to electricity, but to anything we use to make our life comfortable. If you ask for the newsletter of the secret church “Mission New Men” in Varese, you will get an idea of the suffering endured by millions of beings who lack all the comforts we have at our disposal. These people are imprisoned, tortured, defamed, prosecuted with their families, because they dare to express their Christian faith.

But these are things one is not supposed to talk about, because of diplomatic respect towards those countries. We can only whisper these facts in private. No public organ will ever officially dare to recognize these things, not to disturb international diplomacy. But through these people who suffer, Christ is at work and prepares the future. These documents are worth reading to understand that there are people out there who really suffer. Compare that with our everyday anxieties, the Optalidon pills, the mental health issues: all this becomes laughable compared to the terrible suffering of millions, who strive to find Christ with an impetus that we can’t even imagine. Really, let’s acquaint ourselves with these documents. It would be of great help to do the work that we presume to do.

The etheric forces of the plant kingdom and the ether of sacred love”. And our super powerful Augusto says: “Can you speak of the forces of the zodiac and their influence on man’s karma and character?
I don't dare to tackle this one, since we have with us one of the greatest astrologers in Europe, but let’s see if the topic comes up… Anyway, speaking of the etheric forces of the plant kingdom: we shouldn’t imagine the etheric world as a sort of big inflow of force mechanically operating on one side, then moving to the other side… The etheric world is made of entities. There is nothing etheric that is not intelligent. When we have thoughts, these are entities, beings we are related to. It’s only our Ahrimanic abstractness that makes us perceive everything as mechanistic, impersonal flows of forces. Sure, we say “light”, “force”, “warmth”, but we have to liberate ourselves from the materialistic viewpoint. If we could see the etheric forces of the plant kingdom, we would see marvelous creatures at work, comparable to artists, or to factory workers, sometimes more like fairies. These are the elemental beings operating behind the plant kingdom.

On the other hand, those etheric forces who operate in man express the presence of Christ in us. They pervade man with a power that can reawaken him to a lost world, a world that presently goes unseen. Let’s imagine that one feels an elevated feeling of love for another human being - so, a woman for a man or vice versa. Then the ancient structure of sacred love reemerges in that person. Sacred love is dormant in the soul. It's made of soul-entities who are dormant with respect to waking consciousness. Nonetheless, they operate, whenever the wonderful feeling of pure love is present. They are also operating in sensual, physical love, because in that moment the generation of another being has to be brought about. Man is prompted to that effect through will, through physical desire, and has to descend to a state of unconsciousness in which certain forces spring into action. In that state, man experiences bliss, but that bliss is besmirched by the ego, every time. Not that that bliss is sin. Rather, it’s difficult, it’s rare, it’s almost impossible that it remains pure bliss.

Our friend Beniamino said: “The etheric forces of the plant kingdom and the ether of sacred love…” We could also give a kind of synthetical answer. There is a meditation one can do, looking at the cup of the flower. It is a Rosicrucian meditation. While looking at the chalice of the flower, one can think: the flower has the sexual organs in it. It experiences a process of reproduction. This reproduction takes place in a state of absolute purity, devoid of and immune from lust and lower appetites, whilst the same operation in man is infused with lust and impure appetites. The meditation goes on: the day man will be able to realize the process of reproduction and keep that purity intact at the same time, a generation will come to pass, able to seize the spirit even physically. Naturally, the meditation is much more precise than my report. By the way, the meditation on the rose cross itself has the same meaning.

In other words, we can see in the plant kingdom the remains of the lost Heaven on Earth. It’s not that the plant kingdom is paradise, since it has materialized, it has fallen down. Still, we find the last echo of Heaven on Earth in the world of plants and flowers. For this reason, it’s important to educate thinking to retrace the plant process. This is the way of Goethe that Steiner pointed to. In this way, you can see how the current of sacred love is connected with the current streaming through the plant world, that is, the current of the Graal. Graal means the possibility that the power of Eros is sanctified, and the Christ impulse alone can operate the sanctification. Here we can quote: “Instincts are fallen supra-human forces”. Eros is a fallen supra-human force. Thus, there’s nothing we can do with our human forces alone. The Saints and devotees of the Middle Ages had to remain focused on Christ to win over the temptation. Today, we are coming to an epoch when Christ is meant to enter the human sphere and become an inner power reaching the individuality of the being. It’s the individuality I have referred to a little while ago, the individuality that the mechanistic, technological, collectivistic world wants to erase, but it’s in the individual that Christ is realized. Logos is precisely the power of individuality. Wherever the powerful seed of individuality is found in man, that’s where Christ is, because responsibility is there, freedom is there. The more one is an individual, the more one is close to Christ. It means, the more one is oneself, free from constraints and rules, close to the source itself of the rules, the more one realizes Christ. This is the way of The Philosophy of Freedom.

I would have liked to answer the question about the zodiac, but… Not that I want to back out because our friend is here with us. He could teach us everything, though. We can say that the Ahrimanic forces act in this way also. We are subjected to impulses coming from both the higher and the lower hierarchies, in accordance with karmic order. When we reincarnate on Earth, evil and submission to Ahrimanic impulses are poured into our astral body in proportion to our preparations in the preceding life. In this sense, karma will take its course. Nonetheless, in our times the I is finally operating in man. For the time being, it appears in a quite alarming form, at a low level, so to say, yielding to powerful adversarial forces. We see that karma is at work. Surely, freedom is equally at work. Freedom is Christ's direct track. Karma is Christ’s indirect track. Still, Christ is the Lord of karma, He has all the powers on human destiny. As we have said at the beginning, when someone affected by great suffering is capable of approaching the meaning of the presence of Christ on Earth, karma can be overridden, and leave doctors speechless. Unfortunately, we are coming to the top of the hour, and I have to postpone the other questions to our next meeting. The possibly important thing we have said is this: we are facing a very powerful adversary, but we can defeat him through knowledge, we hold the winner in ourselves. Through knowledge, we can come to measure his strength and understand his technique, that is, tenacity. Ahriman’s tenacity can be a lesson for us, because we are not tenacious enough. One moment we feel connected to Christ, and the next we lose it, because we say “I got it!”. Not so Ahriman. Ahriman doesn’t stop. The day we start learning from Ahriman’s persistence, we will win over him.

[1] Thanks to Piero Cammerinesi for making this recording freely available to the public at Libero Pensare.
Federica

Post by Federica »

In the last Q&A of the year 1978 [1] Scaligero spoke of:

- Oppression of religious impulse
- Cultivating a virtue develops the opposite vice
- The five exercises
- Buddha's gift to humanity from Mars

Rome, December 30, 1978

The worsening economic crisis has led to energy rationing. Let’s realize this can’t continue.
What can we say in this regard… If we are coming to this point it’s a sign that we deserve it. We have abundant possibilities for energy, and there could be plenty. I think we understand each other. Light is one of those human goods that enter the economic circuit, but isn’t impacted by political constraints. Italy could be a magnificent garden with an abundance of everything for everyone… we should simply ask ourselves why, from a state of economic prosperity, we have come to the current situation. I cannot say more than that. It’s very clear. Everyone has to arrive at the answer by oneself.

Let’s add another thought. Let's reference certain documented reports, coming from - if I remember correctly - the secret church [secret church “Mission New Men”]. Our rationing is nothing compared to the situation reported in those documents! There everything is rationed and the individual is left with very little. Not only that, but people are treated like objects submitted to politics. This includes religious ban and persecution. When a people has an inclination of the soul to religion, that we could even call ethnic, psychic, and they are deprived of religion, they will be ready to suffer the pains of hell to access some form of religious experience. These beings are enduring the pains of hell in order to get together and pray, to feel togetherness around an image of Christ, or the Virgin Mary. They cultivate this impulse heroically and they suffer, because they lack the spiritual nourishment they aspire to, that they have the right to.

In the face of this, what we are complaining about is nothing, since we are not in any similar situation, yet. Nonetheless there is a friend of ours that has called that situation the mirror of the future. But let’s try not to deserve to reach that point. These people are developing a sense of devotion that we don’t know anything about, not even in dreams. We could even put it like that: people with a profound religious impulse - which is necessary for human evolution - are enduring great suffering in order to offer that impulse to the whole of human evolution. Now, if we look at our situation, we can surely squeeze our world of desires and cravings a little, to let a tiny bit of necessary spirituality emerge. We are privileged, because we are warned. In saying this we're only trying to understand, not to accuse anyone. We want to grasp what is wrong in this complaint, since the only way to start changing the status quo is to correct the error in the mind of wise men, because understanding is crucial. Any other social or political abstract measure doesn’t really change anything. Change is an inner living process that requires struggle, the struggle of understanding.

In the book 'Initiation' it is said that before anything else it is necessary to quiet every desire and every passion” but why do you write all in upper cases? I can see better when both lower and upper cases are used. If it’s all upper cases I’ll have to grapple with it more. I should add that I am perpetually whiny, you have to accept me as such. “In the book 'Initiation' it is said that before anything else it is necessary to quiet every desire and every passion. Let’s imagine we succeed. What is it then that will make us desire spiritual improvement?
In 'Initiation' it is said that education of desire is important. Not that we have to stop desiring. We have to know what we desire. For example, if we attribute a great value to something, we are justified in our desire for it. However, if through knowledge we are able to discover the essence of that object and we discover that there’s nothing behind it, we will come to the realization that that desire desires the unreal. What is desire? What is, let’s say, lust? Lust is nothing else than the force of will manifesting down below for physical, sensuous objects. The same lust, diverted from the sensory spectrum and reoriented to objects that are a little less coarse, becomes creative power. The artist, for instance, needs to desire a certain perfection, a certain victory over himself, in order to let the artwork spring up. This is much better than the other kind of lust, but we are still in the sphere of lust.

Another example: what about desiring success in life? From a human perspective, one could say that it’s completely admissible and understandable. From a spiritual perspective, though, it’s a great error. If we are cultivating the path of the spirit and then we feel galvanized by a successful endeavor - an assignment, a nomination, or the success of a book - there lies a potential error. That desire vibrates and nullifies anything that we might have gleaned in meditation. In that moment we discover that we don’t desire the spiritual world with the same strength with which we desire other things, like success. It is possible to progressively understand one thing: just because we stop prioritizing certain exterior success, it doesn’t imply that we have to avoid such achievements. We could even say that we achieve success better if we are able to be independent of it. There would be something else to add in this regard. It’s improbable that something truly spiritual becomes very successful. If it begins to attain success, we have to be very suspicious. As we have said, especially in our times, that which has spiritual value is generally deformed, defamed, distorted, misunderstood. So we have to apply good discernment.

Coming back to the theme: what is desire? It is to want something. As an impulse, it manifests in the sphere of the metabolic exchange, the sphere of the will, of the motor impulses. But then it acquired the dynamis, the dynamic character of feeling. In this way, it becomes the lust in which will and feeling of not much elevated nature seek gratification. This is the mixture that we call instinct. In fact, when this instinct is powerful, it dominates thinking and weak thinking has no say in the matter. It even gets recruited by the instinct to elaborate its justification. Then it’s inevitable that this lust finds expression and creates the preconditions for catastrophe. This is how we progress on the path, for a decade to the next, or from a life to the next. However, for the one who is on a true path of knowledge this is an early discovery. It’s crucial to uncover our entanglement with values that in reality are empty. It’s crucial because in this way we can connect with forces that don’t require anything more than our thirst for knowledge. If we are able to embrace knowledge it’s as if we were encountering wild but marvelous animals who are ready to serve us, if we only call them by the right name, if we only meet them with the right energy.

We have to accomplish this act of knowledge, otherwise what happens is that we follow spiritual disciplines, but with the other foot we are rooted in mundanity, in the exterior world. Let me give you the easiest example. If the enthusiasm for a football match surpasses the enthusiasm for a spiritual gathering, it’s important to become aware of that. Instead, one should discover that a spiritual gathering, a meditation, or another spiritual act is the top, it’s the most powerful goal that we can set for ourselves. In this way, we turn the intensity of desire towards a spiritual object that we recognize as such. That’s how we educate desire, lust, and also feeling. So we need to be vigilant and notice when a mundane goal exerts a stronger attraction. Through the events of our day, we can continually operate this check. Some impressions from the exterior world may enter in us and leave such a powerful impression in us that our inner impressions have the palest effect in comparison.

As long as the situation is such, we can’t move forward. But the day we feel the appeal of the spirit as powerful as the wildest lust, then we are saved. Here I would like to recall an episode that surely 90% of you know. Still, it’s appropriate. The fact is attributed to Vivekananda... or Ramakrishna. One day a disciple asked the master for the right instructions to become a true yogi. He carefully followed the instructions but nothing changed. Years later, he met the master again and explained that despite following the instructions, no transformation had happened in him, and nothing had improved. The master invited him to take a bath with him at the Ciriola [a known bathing spot in Rome]. It was not at the Ciriola, it was in the river Ganges, of course [laughs]. When they were walking in the water, talking, the master suddenly jumped at the disciple, took it by the scruff of the neck and put his head underwater. He kept him underwater until the disciple was almost axphyxiated. Then he finally released him. The disciple took a few big inbreaths, but the master didn’t wait for grievances and compelled him with the question: “What has been your biggest desire while you were underwater?” “To breathe, Master!” “The day you feel the same desire for the spirit, then your transformation will be accomplished”. So we need to discover how much we really desire the spirit. Do we only want a tiny bit of spirit, a convenient amount, to justify our daily life, or to come out with beautiful aphorisms and blow our own trumpet at the bar? There we may feel like a spiritual master, but later a given physical event fills us with delight, much more than meditation. We have to unveil these inner facts.

Is virtue powerful?” No, Kundalini is powerful. “Is virtue powerful? When a virtue is cultivated, the opposite vice awakens in the soul. How to christify the virtues?
Well said, I thought you didn’t know that, but you do. When we practice a virtue, the polar opposite rises up in the soul. In other words, when we cultivate a virtue, we have the big presumption that we will become virtuous and perfect. But the opposite tendency is controlled by powerful beings and they say: “Look at this one, what is he trying to do?” and they gear up, they castle themselves in an unassailable area and dominate from there. Hence the question how to christify the virtues.
We will explain the meaning of this word first, in case some friends here are not familiar with it.

We have just discussed desire and lust. That’s been a very interesting question and its theme continues in this new question about christifying the virtues. Let’s consider the mystics of the past, for example the Saints. The Saints knew that. For this reason, they used impressive metal awls and stings that we can’t even imagine. They were continually pushed to extract the highest amount of will away from the world of instincts, not to give in to instincts. In other words, they were forcefully keeping their will polarized towards the spiritual, through physical suffering. We have to understand that even with Pranayama - a part of Hatha Yoga - the task was to use the breath to rip the spiritual element off the physical. This type of actions was still possible back then, for beings who were able to feel the spiritual within the corporeal. Nowadays we don’t need that anymore, because the situation has worsened. We don’t need a penitential garment today, because we already have one in us. It’s our nervous system. We don’t need to wear steel spikes and metal cilices in the back. We have the nervous system that holds almost everyone in its clutches. It works so well that a many neurotics then become psychologists. They first get treatment and then consider the possibility of becoming therapists themselves. And we see that neurotic people are more and more. There was a film titled “We are all murderers”. Today we could say: “we are all neurotics”. The interesting part is when whoever is on a path of knowledge realizes to be neurotic. This is a very interesting discovery, since it enables one to take action and to possibly heal not only oneself, but also others.

Now, allow me to say that, with our Doctor’s five exercises, we have healed countless neuroses for free. Before coming to us, these people had bought all sorts of services. With us, they got a few exercises to practice and so they were healed. Some of them would stay with us and continue practicing, which is interesting. Some would remain friends and continue their life. But what is the spirit of Steiner's five exercises? Our Doctor explicitly provided them as a corrective, let’s say as a detox for any wrong spiritual exercises. A wrong spiritual exercise is for example an yogic exercise that was conceived for a human being of the past, differently constituted. If we suddenly apply that exercise in the rough to our constitution, that’s a wrong exercise. Someone will say: “But for me it’s beneficial, it feels good”. This is a sign that you are a caveman from the stone age who still has to pass a certain stage of evolution [laughs]. Alternatively, it feels good because it activates your will. A minimum level of will is required to do certain exercises.

Another wrong exercise could be the same spiritual scientific exercises, but poorly done, when someone misunderstands how they should be executed. Some of these exercises, if not properly done, could be… maybe not plain dangerous, but they could still provoke some reaction. I also want to add that the path of thinking is such that, even if we get some details wrong, the force of thinking corrects them. Luckily, these five exercises were also published in the second year of Ur by Evola, who had the good flair to recognize their value and publish them - I gave him the exercises. These five exercises are such that, by themselves, they could make a student move forward, even to initiation. The misconception is that we want a whole array of exercises, we feel that by changing an exercise we can transcend a limit, while the overcoming has to happen within the same exercise. Some will go chase Steiner's rarest exercises, the less known cycles, hoping to finally find initiation… but that’s not how it works. I don't want to be too strict, but the truth is, one has to make use of the exercise cycles one already has. That’s where work is required. Increasing reading doesn’t necessarily increase the horizon... anyway. We are erring continually, and we are corrected by this constellation of exercises. Our Doctor pointed out that they have been given precisely as correctives for any possible error one could incur along the path of the spirit.

But to take this seriously one has to understand who our Doctor is. Understanding who he is is the greatest spiritual victory that a man can achieve, because he understands who is the real master. You are hearing this from someone who has even been an adversary of Steiner, someone who - before recognizing him as a master - has fought him, reading and verifying things point by point. So if one recognizes that Steiner is the Master of the New Times, the great Initiate of the new times, then he will take the exercises seriously. With this, we still have not answered the question by our super powerful Walter. We have to tell how to christify the virtues. Here we may have to resort to another question. Let’s see.

The epiphany of Christ on Earth in relation to the circulation of blood”...
Here’s another one: “Can we say that the contemplation of the light of the idea is for us like following the Christmas Star was for the Three Wise Men? They found Christ in the same way that we should find Him, in thinking freed from the senses.

Here we have an opportunity to understand the polarity pointed to in the first question. It’s only through the experience of thinking freed from the senses that we understand that whatever inner force may descend in us, it will transform into its opposite, if it only lives in us to serve our phsyche, and not according to its intrinsic value. In this way, the highest spiritual forces are overthrown. That’s the danger modern man has to face: that the path of the spirit becomes the way of the most terrible egoism. This happens if the necessary knowledge for the inner experience of the new times is lacking. Now we can understand why in Yoga, in all Eastern traditions, as well as in mystic Christianity, there was a tremendous rigor, a permanent surveillance of every act. It's because this law was well known. For us, this realization really goes through the path of thinking. Thinking helps us understand.

For example, take one of the heaviest materialistic polarities. Let’s consider iron. Iron is the most common, the most used material in our mechanic civilization. It’s the dominant metal. It really is the instrument of the adversarial forces, expressing themselves in the physical. We can recall that the god of the metals is the one who seduced Judas, through which Judas was entangled with the world of metals, the world of the deniers. In that silver, there was the active power of Ahriman, as there is in the iron civilisation. Someone calls it the lead civilization. It’s very close. All these metals are strongly connected with Ahriman. Ahriman dominates there. Consider the labor force of the metalworkers, engaged in mechanical work with metals. We really have to understand that the virulence in their claims depends on the fact that they work in a mechanistic environment where there is no light - as well represented by Charlot in the famous film “Modern Times”. But there’s no political recipe to solve this question. Something else is needed. Our Doctor understood that, when for two years he held lectures for the four thousand workers of a German factory. These workers were so much looking forward to meeting him! They were so in love with him that Steiner gave the most beautiful answers, the most relevant ones, even on human evolution, to those workers. Those blue collars became so attached that the unions started to worry and put a stop to it.
Nevertheless, that's the medicine, not the salary increases. The salary negotiation is a big illusion. Everyone wants their salary increased, but some situations can evolve not through politics, but through balanced legislation. These beings are in need of spiritual light - it's a metal civilization, a machine civilization.

We have mentioned that Judas was captivated by the forces exuding from metal. But let’s recall that there’s also ferrum sidereum, the iron of Mars. Since about the 1930s the forces of Mars actually act upon man in a new way. These are the forces of Buddha. Now I’ll say something that may sound like a fairy tale. A few centuries ago, the action of Christian Rosencreuz had a decisive effect on Earth through the enablement of an active role of the Buddha on Mars. These forces of Buddha on Mars were meant to be beneficial to human beings on their way back to earthly reincarnation, when we pass first through the fixed stars, then through the planets, before entering again the Earth sphere. Since that operation, men who have a certain spiritual predisposition bring with them, from Mars, the power of the sacred iron. That is, they bring in them the possibility to transform the lower elements of human nature, through the forces of Buddha.

Unfortunately, the forces of Buddha, as they are revamped and repurposed today, are really tear-jerking. We need to know this mystery: the Buddha is indeed a force operating with the Logos, but it acts from within. Why do scientists exhibit a certain calm in their inquiry, a certain force? Why are researchers, if they really abide by certain laws, profoundly calm? Because the physical phenomenon elicits human thoughts that are not psychic. It elicits an impersonal quality of thought, the most powerful currents flowing in the depths of thinking that can be free from any soul movements and instincts. This force is the force of Buddha. We can take advantage of this force in meditation. If we are able to concentrate our thinking to express that which is independent of who we are, of what we desire, what we feel, what is instinctual in us, but still can flow through our trained thinking, then we make contact with a very deep power that brings with it the annihilation of the lower instincts. This Buddhic force gives independence to the will. While, at the time of Buddha Shakyamuni, this force was expressed as an escape from life - a rather negative but necessary equation of feeling and will - today it operates in thinking as a liberating force. It is like a thunderbolt coming to our help to liberate us from any instincts.

This naturally requires preparation, but we have to contemplate this fact. I have dedicated a chapter of the book “The Solar Tradition” exclusively to this. In other words, thinking that immerses itself in the physical object has the power to tap into its most profound inner forces. This is the power of Buddha streaming from Mars, and we can welcome this liberating power of thinking. Now we don’t have time, but let’s say in a few words that, in essence, in the same way that Buddhism came to rectify and integrate Brahmanism, in that same way Mars can be seen as a place of Brahmanism and Aristotelianism, to which Buddha has come as polar opposite, with Plato. I am saying this very briefly, to provide a hint of which impulse I am talking about, an impulse that transmutes profane iron into iron that overcomes materialism. Here I will leave it to you to grasp the meaning of the way of the Magi. It’s exactly that. Those of you who know a certain passage by our Doctor, know that the visit of the Magi corresponds with a certain Buddhic event. “Peace among men in whom he is well pleased”. The greatness of Buddha is back, to serve Christ. Six centuries before Christ, Buddha was necessary to prepare the ground and the aura of the Earth for the birth of the Christ being. Really, all events that preceded the coming of Christ by 6-7 centuries - the birth of Greek Philosophy, the birth of Rome and, in the East, Lao Tse, and the birth of Buddha, can be recognized as a preparation of the aura of the Earth for the coming of Christ.

Here I should conclude by bringing all the threads together, but it would be too long. We can say this: we have a continuous possibility to defeat the evil element that lives in us. Notice, if we didn’t have an Ahrimanic element we would move around as ghosts, and we would be incapable of any imagination if we didn’t have a Luciferic element in us. But they are terrible beings if we lack knowledge and let them bluster in our soul. However, these two beings also give us something marvelous. Ahriman gives us physical force. Now, we have to take it under our direct control. Lucifer gives us imagination, that we need to seize and make into our own creative power. So it depends on our conscious act whether or not we put at the center of our life the knower of life, that is the spiritual I in us, the I-Logos in us.

[1] Thanks to Piero Cammerinesi for making this recording freely available to the public at Libero Pensare.
Federica

Post by Federica »

This is the report of an audio recording of a meeting [1] when MS spoke of:

- Aversion to philosophy
- Love of the Grail
- The figure of the Virgin Mary
- The force of devotion that overcomes the brain
- Christ's gifts to humanity
- Parsifal and the consciousness soul

September 6, 1978

With regards to philosophy and philosophical concepts, I have a sort of ancient and incurable aversion, dating back to my school days. Not only do I have difficulties reading much elaborated and complex thoughts, but I am also left with a sense of dissatisfaction, drought and void. Is this only a matter of scarce intelligence or could it also depend on other factors?
‘Primum vivere deinde philosophari’. We start with the exercises. When some new friends come, we tell them: "no theorizing here please" and we put them immediately at work. If they are restless, dialectical, insecure, in pain, neuro-psycho-suffering, sophizing and philosophizing, then we have to come to terms with the palingenetic obliteration of the conscious I. But if the need for philosophy is not there, don’t worry, nobody will request that you do philosophy in order to understand spiritual science. Our Doctor’s text - The Philosophy of Freedom - is in almost philosophical form. In fact, he offered us a practical treatise. I actually showed the Philosophy of Freedom to professional philosophers, and they were like: “This guy doesn’t even know the language of philosophy”. Of course he knew it, but his intention was to make the reader understand what he wanted to say, which is a practical operation. However, if we look at his dissertation “Truth and science”, that’s a rigorously philosophical work, extremely clear nonetheless. There’s the bibliography, and so on. But the Philosophy of Freedom is already somewhat less philosophical. And we can say that whoever has the chance to practice with this book goes beyond any philosophy. So there is nothing to worry about, it’s not a matter of scarce intelligence. It might be even the sign of a sound instinct. Nonetheless, any instinct needs to be addressed at some point, and if we feel any aversion, we have to understand why. So it would be useful for you to grapple with some texts that involve a sound philosophizing, like in Plato for instance. Anyhow, this is not a fundamental issue. I remember that many years ago - maybe 40 or 45 - a friend of mine, Julius Evola, surprised me while reading a philosophical text and, staring at me with surprise, he told me: “Why do you need to read this kind of stuff?!” He considered it a weakness. "It's to train thinking", I said. With this, I think we have exhausted this theme.

Now comes a very, very embarrassing question, that I am not answering, as you will notice. Our friend here would like me to instruct him to do this and not that. I am not revealing who this friend is… there is a signature here, and whoever signs is doomed! [humoristic paraphrase of proverb][laughs]
With whom could Guinevere realize the sacred love - with Lancelot or with King Arthur?” [laughs]
You really would like me to tell you, wouldn’t you? [more laughs] But since our friend here has a subtle genius, he adds: “How can the conscious soul - by operating on the physical body - prevent the tragedy of an impossible love?
Our friend wants to see if there is a way to win on all planes, and that I condone that. In any case, not to nurture any ambiguity, we will indeed give an answer. Clearly, in the drama of King Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot, a tremendous question appears that can only be solved with the forces of the Grail, since the love of the Grail is such as to exhaust any human desire and craving, and precisely for this reason, it reaches a level where the fear of losing a desired object disappears, because there is nothing left to covet. This is a high mystery that we have attempted to convey sometimes, but it’s very difficult. The love of the Grail is the highest vertex. At that level, one has to be clear in all of the degrees one leaves behind. If there is a sphere in which the person is still bound to desire for another being, it’s impossible to reach the Grail. One can only attain the level of the Grail who has settled all the degrees, all the connections. I know that what I’m saying can be interpreted in many ways, but I believe that sometimes it’s better not to explain too much, otherwise, instead of clarifying the matter, one could muddle it.

Here’s a question that I hope I will be able to answer, it says: “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?”. That’s exactly the level we are discussing. Maybe we should discuss this question now, leaving the first question pending, while trying to take advantage of this new one first. “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?
You see, simple people have a real feeling for this image. There are traditions around this cult of the Virgin Mary. Certain beings - even without spiritual science - are able to have a relationship with the figure of the Virgin Mary, and that is really important. We only have to choose any of the numerous examples coming to mind, last but not least, the case of that mother (our friend here with us today can witness) who incessantly invoking the image of the Virgin Mary, asked for her daughter to be saved from an incurable cancer. And this being was saved, by virtue of impetuous prayer, leaving the medical staff astounded. Here I would like to recall a precise expression of our Doctor: “He who is able to understand the secret of the image of the Virgin Mary, and of the Virgin Mary with the baby, knows the Grail.” I believe that at some point he also adds that the Grail can’t be attained without grasping the meaning of the new Eve, that is, the Virgin Mary. Look at the Gospels and you will see that Christ - Who is terrible with men - is always gentle with women, always compassionate. Thus, this figure appears in our inner experience as something quite precise, that also has to do with ‘woman’.

We have previously said that woman has the key to man's initiation. If we look East, we find various examples. Ramakrishna was initiated by a woman, then married a very young girl, to whom he said “I have to follow the way of the Spirit”. She replied: “I am in agreement with you”. Then she became like a mother for all the disciples of Ramakrishna. We also have Vivekananda - another example. His highest collaborator was a woman. We can’t say she was the love of his life, since he was opposed to considering her as a life companion, while she was very much in love with him, indeed. There was a very bright, spiritual relationship, but Vivekananda then hadn't enough strength of consciousness yet to realize that his rejection of Nivedita was naive. In one of her books, she tells this drama, her wish to meet him on a plane where he was eluding her. And this elusion was naive, since he was lacking the courage to overcome a certain inner limit. We can also look at Aurobindo. He was the one who reintroduced the theme of the Divine Mother, and the woman who was his life partner was always close to him and later she took care of his legacy.

What is present in all this? The cult of the Virgin Mary and the culmination of man’s inner mission. Finally, it’s the possibility to understand the secret of the existence of the soul. The story of the soul began when the two souls separated, and became complementary forces. From that moment onward, one soul has sought the other. This is always difficult to describe, because if one is not engaged on this path, one can’t understand that nothing is mechanical and fatalistic, hence it’s not that there is a regular woman assigned to one forever. That’s not how it is. A regular woman forever is the new point of departure when one has finally deserved to meet the being with whom to live such an experience. Until that point, every woman - or every man - helps the other along this path. Because the soul is the same. The individual impulse is different, but the secret of the soul is the same. Goethe intuited that, speaking of eternal feminine. Similarly, Dante spoke of the three blessed women in the heavenly realms [Inferno, Canto II] who are three forms of the same woman. At a certain level, the question of depriving someone of something, the question of possession, the question of jealousy, the question of the ego, they all vanish. This experience is indeed the experience of overcoming the ego. And the two souls realize the Grail because they live together the experience of Christ.

In another sense, to live together the experience of Christ means to know the birth of the I. Finally the I is born, and it’s represented by the Virgin Mary who has the baby, because the I operates from the spiritual heights and then has to be born, within human inner life. So the soul becomes the mother of the I. The I has to live through this experience. It has to win over the Ahrimanic tension of the ego, which is a tension of violence, of self-assertion that only is valid once the sensory sphere has been overcome. The consequences of this tension on the sensory plane are the wars, the fights, the aversions… the daily show we are constantly exposed to: “homo homini lupus”. However, this egoistic tension shouldn’t cease on the sensory plane because of weakness, or because of defective manhood. It has to cease because the I becomes like the baby in the arms of the Virgin Mary. The Virgin is the soul, the feminine power of soul. That is - shall we recognize it? - the power of poetry and devotion. We could also call it pure bliss, that comes to a point when it contains the sum total of all the divine forces. Now, all this cannot be conquered without preparation.

At the human level, we have sometimes the possibility to seize the expression of this force, when it becomes similar to a sort of devotional catapult. For example, when there’s a limitless love. The experience of falling in limitless love is a great one, and may whoever has the chance to live it be happy. This may have become difficult nowadays, given the common asphyxia of feeling forced onto the young people, when feeling does not receive any nourishment, and all nourishment goes to the brain: the arts have become cerebral, everything has become cerebral… Anyhow, the power of devotion produces miracles, as I have often illustrated with the example of Mother Teresa. How could she hug the leprous with love, if she wasn’t recognizing a supernal value in these beings, like the supernal value that lovers recognize in each other? So, the Grail cannot be conquered without preparation. It can only be conquered if there is a love that overcomes any other love. The lover who falls in love knows that well. Blessed are those who have known that, because they know how to rekindle it, since they remember it. And the Michaelic art is to remember it, as we will see in the following question.

In Rome, there is a beautiful popular spot, the Madonna of Divine Love. We have to have respect for the devoted women there, they are the real force of the people. The real force of the people means religion lived with immediacy, and with power of faith, regardless of any external form, of any compliance. And the Virgin Mary makes apparitions, it continues to appear. Our Lady of Fatima has been decisive in many cases. For us who follow spiritual science, it’s a question of understanding how these apparitions can be an experience of the highest consciousness: how can certain beings with certain immediacy of feeling have experiences of this kind? Because they easily overcome the barrier of the brain and are able to immediately immerse themselves in divinity. The divine speaks to people of any level, and speaks to these beings, provided that their opening is of such immediate nature.

For us, the task is to overcome cerebrality. In one of our meetings a couple of weeks ago, we compared the brain to the Moon when it obscures the sun during a total eclipse. Then, we even used the word “ob-sol-escence” - forcing the etymology a little, we said: “ob” means against, hence obsolescence means “against the sun”. Ob-solesco in Latin means: I consume myself, I obscure myself. But in this case it’s really about looking at the transcending light out of which thinking is born, because thinking is firstly light, solar light. The force of thinking comes from the Sun, and we know that solar light is also the carrier of love. When we have an impulse of love, it is that light, overcoming the cerebral organ. If we look at it and have the vision of its splendor, we immediately notice ‘the eclipse’, that is, a lunar disc, dark. That dark disc is the brain. We can see that the light is interrupted. From this interrupted light, dialectical thought arises. That’s where reflected thought is born, thought that isn’t the light. Thought that goes against the light.

From such thinking, nothing loving can be born, nothing brotherly, or social. It’s simply impossible, because this thinking is one of aversion. Since it is reflected, its movement is opposite to the original one. In other words, dialectical thinking is the expression of the spirit of aversion that we bring within ourselves and that’s why Ahriman makes perfect use of it. “The concept is Cain’s blunt weapon”. Some may remember this expression. In the light of what we are discussing, it’s finally possible to understand why the concept is Cain’s blunt weapon. When I meet someone using concepts, I am already assaulting him. I’m already intolerant, already going against his freedom. So I have to discover that I could also meet him with love, with sympathy. Not the love that we impose on ourselves as an exterior attitude, because “love your neighbor” is one of the Anthroposophical duties. No. Throw the duties away, and be free. It has to be true love, like the love of Mother Teresa is true, otherwise she couldn’t kiss the purulent sores without fainting. It is Christ whom she kisses. Everyone wishes to kiss Christ. Thus we need to meet our neighbor with sympathy, seeing in them the same spirit that we invoke in ourselves as our spirit: here it is, coming to meet us, asking us what we have to say. Then, the concept is not aggressive, not malevolent. Otherwise, we become malicious, indeed, because everything we express conceptually pushes the other back, and this is really unfair. Nothing of what we can convey comes from dialectical thought. We only can convey that which comes from our inner life freed from cerebrality. Only that meets the other, only that helps. The key to realizing this mystery truly is the way of the liberation of thinking.

Here I am obliged to read a question that comes almost as a corollary.
There are twelve degrees of progressive liberation of thinking, corresponding to as many levels of stratification of desires in us. If this is the case, we have to conclude that the path of the Grail goes through the path of sense-free thinking.
Absolutely clear. In fact, this liberation of thinking becomes the light of the soul. The light of the soul means Christic joy, it’s Christic bliss, and this Christic bliss is made of the same fabric of the love felt by the lover, in highest purity, for the beloved being. You see like the force of Christ is incarnated in a love independent of the support of the brain and the nervous system. However, this requires maximum intensity of will. This love is woven with will. When we say “devotion” the meaning is “will that gives itself”. Love is gifted will.

Michael, the Archangel of memory” we have touched upon this theme before, we actually already read this question. Another one says: “Thinking and perception: synthesis”.
Spiritual memory awaits us, it’s a conquest. The alternative is constant forgetfulness of the highest moments we experience. We have two processes in us that come directly from the Resurrection at Golgotha. One process is the etherization of the blood close to the heart, the other process is the redemption of the minerality inside the head. These two processes work for the whole of humanity - for the wise, as well as for the one who is scarcely conscious of oneself. These are the evolutionary power in the human race, a gift of Christ. However, each and everyone has to demonstrate them for oneself. The race has started improving when the impulse of the consciousness soul has found its way into man, when the I has finally found its place, as a sort of axis in the middle. This has caused a betterment of the human race. Notice, sanitary and hygienic norms have no power to improve the race yet. We shouldn’t believe that longevity has increased because of those norms. Rather, the opposite is true. The race has improved because the power of Logos is finally incarnated, and operates through these forces that we have discussed. This happens despite all the mistakes of man. However, the other way of Christ is the one that makes this first one work, we can say. The race can improve, but if nothing is done to improve the soul, the race becomes animalistic. When we say that the race improves, it means that it becomes more powerful, in a physical way, so it’s necessary that, inside the physical, someone is there who decides to walk along.

There is another gift of Christ that comes to those who will it. In very few words - since we are now approaching the closing - the Pentecost was the fire, the power of the Holy Spirit pouring down on those who had deserved it, after numerous trials by Christ’s side. They had deserved it. “They were weak and they became strong”. Later the gift has gone on: Paul had the Pentecost gift also, and those who were bearing in them the power of Pentecost were able to transmit it. Later on, the gift of Christ kept on spreading, through the multiplication of the etheric body of Jesus of Nazareth, that was gifted to many beings. These beings could be sanctified, they were able to operate admirably, and to sacrifice themselves for the evolution of man, all because they deserved to receive the etheric body of Jesus of Nazareth as a gift. So it’s not that the processes we have mentioned - mineral redemption and etherization of the blood - work for the whole of humanity. They work depending on the evolution of the single individual.

As we know, some beings have deserved to receive the astral body of Christ. The life of Saint Francis, for example, can only be explained in this way, since he was etherically weak, physically weak, his I was ..., but he was Saint Francis. Well, before becoming Saint Francis, he was not him, he was rather the most evolved disciple of Buddha. He was probably Ananda, after which incarnation he had another one, and in the subsequent one, he became Saint Francis. Reading certain texts by Saint Francis it’s clear that he was a disciple of Buddha. In his discourse on perfect joy for example - you may remember how he insists on the term laetitia [joy], giving many examples, to conclude “then you will know the perfect joy”, like in the expressions of Buddha. It’s because Saint Francis had the astral body of Christ. This was creating big imbalances in him, giving him strong impetus through the whole of his life.

Then came the times of the consciousness soul, in anticipation of which, the great administrator of Christ, Christian Rosencreuz, prepared the new times, prepared the experience of Christ through the forces of the new self-consciousness of man, a conquest of these times. Materialism, intellectualism, rationalism brought to is most extreme development - these were all necessary in order to attain to the power of self-consciousness, that has at its bottom something titanic and destructive, but also encloses in itself a power of will that, once liberated from the titans, could melt and ascend those degrees of love we have discussed at the beginning.

What is it that awaits man? It’s the I of Jesus of Nazareth. His etheric and astral bodies have already been multiplied. All along the Middle Ages, we had great beings whose greatness was magnified by an ultra-human force, like the Pentecost. And now, the times of the consciousness soul are here. What is the way? It’s the way of the Grail, the way of the I, where the II is finally met. The support of the I is the blood. The cup brought by Joseph of Arimathea received the drops of the blood of the Lord. Therefore we can say that in that cup lives the superior I of humanity. The whole story of the Grail is a preparation for the times of the consciousness soul. In this sense, the story of Parsifal is the story of man in our times, a man who is strong with self consciousness, but ignores love. He destroys, he kills, he wins, but does not understand the Grail yet, and will finally understand love through the experience of Pietas.

Parsifal’s crisis began with his encounter with a girl whose fiancé had been killed. She held his body in her arms. As Parsifal saw her crying, according to his customs, he approached her, ready to offer his strength and support. He said: “Is there anyone that I can fight to remedy your pain? Why are you crying?” She answered: “Because he’s dead”. “How can I help you?” “How could you be of any help, since he’s dead?” In that dialogue, he sensed the power of death as something that had escaped him, and the suffering of this being. He realized that he himself had killed many men. The way that led him there was boarded by all the ones he had felled and killed, though in fair fight. Then he spoke beautiful words to that girl and took leave. At that point he suffered a crisis, the issue of which would be devotion. Devotion brought him closer to the soul, a soul pervaded by the light of Christ.
On Good Friday, he reached close to the Grail and there he finally received its light. It happened in this way. An old knight of the Grail met him and asked him why he was armed to the teeth. Parsifal answered: “Because I always have to battle” “But today it’s Good Friday, there is no fight”, said the knight. Parsifal asked: “What is Good Friday?”. And so the knight told him the story of Christ’s passion, death and resurrection, and Parsifal’s enlightenment took place. The strength of his conscious soul opened up to the higher soul - to what we call Isis Sophia, that is, to devotion. As soon as this force of love-devotion pervaded him, a synthesis happened. The strong side was ready, but its complement of astral nature had been missing. From that moment the light of the Grail begins to shine.

In fact, the story of the Grail is about the disciple of our times, the times of the consciousness soul, the times of the will, when man can choose between various loves and the highest love. There exist many loves, and it’s important to know them - the various attractions, the various things that bind. But as long as these ties are present, true love cannot arise, because the most powerful love is dazzling. It outshines all other loves, because it contains them all.

AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Thank you, Federica, for continuing to make accessible these reservoirs of Wisdom from MS.

Federica wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:57 pm Here’s a question that I hope I will be able to answer, it says: “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?”. That’s exactly the level we are discussing. Maybe we should discuss this question now, leaving the first question pending, while trying to take advantage of this new one first. “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?
You see, simple people have a real feeling for this image. There are traditions around this cult of the Virgin Mary. Certain beings - even without spiritual science - are able to have a relationship with the figure of the Virgin Mary, and that is really important. We only have to choose any of the numerous examples coming to mind, last but not least, the case of that mother (our friend here with us today can witness) who incessantly invoking the image of the Virgin Mary, asked for her daughter to be saved from an incurable cancer. And this being was saved, by virtue of impetuous prayer, leaving the medical staff astounded. Here I would like to recall a precise expression of our Doctor: “He who is able to understand the secret of the image of the Virgin Mary, and of the Virgin Mary with the baby, knows the Grail.” I believe that at some point he also adds that the Grail can’t be attained without grasping the meaning of the new Eve, that is, the Virgin Mary. Look at the Gospels and you will see that Christ - Who is terrible with men - is always gentle with women, always compassionate. Thus, this figure appears in our inner experience as something quite precise, that also has to do with ‘woman’.

We have previously said that woman has the key to man's initiation. If we look East, we find various examples. Ramakrishna was initiated by a woman, then married a very young girl, to whom he said “I have to follow the way of the Spirit”. She replied: “I am in agreement with you”. Then she became like a mother for all the disciples of Ramakrishna. We also have Vivekananda - another example. His highest collaborator was a woman. We can’t say she was the love of his life, since he was opposed to considering her as a life companion, while she was very much in love with him, indeed. There was a very bright, spiritual relationship, but Vivekananda then hadn't enough strength of consciousness yet to realize that his rejection of Nivedita was naive. In one of her books, she tells this drama, her wish to meet him on a plane where he was eluding her. And this elusion was naive, since he was lacking the courage to overcome a certain inner limit. We can also look at Aurobindo. He was the one who reintroduced the theme of the Divine Mother, and the woman who was his life partner was always close to him and later she took care of his legacy.

What is present in all this? The cult of the Virgin Mary and the culmination of man’s inner mission. Finally, it’s the possibility to understand the secret of the existence of the soul. The story of the soul began when the two souls separated, and became complementary forces. From that moment onward, one soul has sought the other. This is always difficult to describe, because if one is not engaged on this path, one can’t understand that nothing is mechanical and fatalistic, hence it’s not that there is a regular woman assigned to one forever. That’s not how it is. A regular woman forever is the new point of departure when one has finally deserved to meet the being with whom to live such an experience. Until that point, every woman - or every man - helps the other along this path. Because the soul is the same. The individual impulse is different, but the secret of the soul is the same. Goethe intuited that, speaking of eternal feminine. Similarly, Dante spoke of the three blessed women in the heavenly realms [Inferno, Canto II] who are three forms of the same woman. At a certain level, the question of depriving someone of something, the question of possession, the question of jealousy, the question of the ego, they all vanish. This experience is indeed the experience of overcoming the ego. And the two souls realize the Grail because they live together the experience of Christ.

As a complement to this topic, some may be interested to check out the following discussion on the Grail, particularly the section of 'The Three Mothers'. These are some of the deepest mysteries, but I think that both MS and Barnwell/Gabriel make them somewhat accessible to even our normal understanding. I think it is especially helpful to understand the Three Mothers as the natural kingdoms that separated out through previous planetary stages, which then provide reservoirs of Wisdom for our spiritual activity to penetrate and fashion the Grail of the human heart in its highest loving potential.

Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:46 pm Thank you, Federica, for continuing to make accessible these reservoirs of Wisdom from MS.

Federica wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:57 pm Here’s a question that I hope I will be able to answer, it says: “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?”. That’s exactly the level we are discussing. Maybe we should discuss this question now, leaving the first question pending, while trying to take advantage of this new one first. “What relationship can man have with the image of the Virgin Mary?

As a complement to this topic, some may be interested to check out the following discussion on the Grail, particularly the section of 'The Three Mothers'. These are some of the deepest mysteries, but I think that both MS and Barnwell/Gabriel make them somewhat accessible to even our normal understanding. I think it is especially helpful to understand the Three Mothers as the natural kingdoms that separated out through previous planetary stages, which then provide reservoirs of Wisdom for our spiritual activity to penetrate and fashion the Grail of the human heart in its highest loving potential.

Thanks for the video, Ashvin. Probably not the most accessible topic, but I liked to see the friendship connecting these two men (in this and other videos, like this one) between the lines of their conversation. Maybe I was distracted by that and couldn't really focus on the Grail :D

Regarding the Scaligero recordings, I've found that taking the time to write these posts is an ideal way for me to assimilate and remember them. By the way, if anyone knows of an AI that could do that (from an old audio recording in a language to a readable text in another language) please let me know, I am curious how it would turn out!
Federica

Post by Federica »

Rome, December 13, 1978[1]

- Christmas quarrels
- Luciferic feeling and true feeling
- Prayer has to be deserved
- The fundamental immobility of the I
- Human love, I-love, sacred love

How to avoid the usual quarrels at Christmas due to the new year resolutions?
I start with this question because it’s extremely important. The days around Christmas are days of peace, but not in a sentimentalistic sense. They truly are days of Cosmic peace, days of peace on Earth, peace for our souls. And it’s exactly in those days that the adversarial forces lash out. It’s been so for centuries, because behind all the good intentions - for instance the good will to express one’s affection, one’s wishes, one’s gifts - behind all that, there eventually appears a sort of… orgasm, a sort of convulsive activity, that goes crescendo, until someone says “I so much look forward to the end of this all!”. There’s this inevitable congestion of giving… taking… wishes… gifts… meetups… dinners… preparations… desserts… day trips… Really, you see, it becomes a scene of absolute beneficence for the physical body, a state of absolute satisfaction, and a kind of give and take orgy. Add to that the thirteenth salary [traditionally the December salary is a double salary in Italy], all the shopping to be done, and you can see how those days are rather engulfed days. There are the family gatherings, with relatives that meet maybe only once a year, and maybe their relationships are not the best imaginable. On that day they hug each other, but by the end of the meal they have already started to argue, because we drink, we eat, we drink again, and the peace of mind is lost. Then, a few words are enough. Words are misunderstood, then comes the sharp reply, and that’s it. The quarrel has already begun. It’s been like that for years and years, that people fight precisely on Christmas day. Our friend asks: “How to avoid quarrels at Christmas?”. Well, I know from personal experience that the way to go is as follows. Whatever is said or done, one should reply: “Yes, it’s all good”, “Perfect”, “Absolutely”, unless they offer you whisky, to which you can definitely reply: “No, thank you”, though, of course, everyone decides for themselves.

Anyway, it’s really important to be prepared and forewarned, so as to defend the chance to perceive the peace and the quiet of Christmas. This peace is really there, it’s an exceptional Cosmic force that pervades the Earth in those moments, though very few notice it. It would be a good idea to take a day trip to the sea, contemplate the sea, and watch the sunrise over the sea on Christmas day, for example. One would feel infinite peace. Or one could go to the mountains, or stay home. What’s important is not to lose contact with the mysterious quiet of those hours, a quiet that repeats itself for several days. Even Nature becomes benign. It’s rare that the weather is really bad at Christmas. There might be north wind or sirocco, but the winds are temperate, there is respite from the violent forces of Nature. Christmas is the moment of birth of the child, and the birth always happens, since the rite is occultly out of spacetime, it repeats itself and the birth is continuously real.

At Christmas time it’s important not only to avoid fights, but also to avoid spending time in silly ways, not to waste the opportunity enclosed in that period. We can say, it begins with the solstice, on the 22nd, and goes on towards the end of the year and beyond it: there are thirteen Holy Nights. So it’s important to start with such thoughts, and to avoid all conflicts with family, friends, people we dine with, and so on. Moreover, we should try to find moments of solitude, in order to operate through meditation. Then the possibility arises to really meet the principle of force that is active at the core of the world. This force is perceptible as something that is born precisely through the forces of Nature, something that is born in the same way that a child comes to life, dressed in a synthesis of all forces of Nature. This event is alway there, because this is an everlasting birth, coincident with the birth of Light, the new ascent of the Sun, after it has reached its lowest point on the ecliptic. Indeed, Christmas is the celebration of Light, the birth of Light. This is a task that one should not give up on, regardless of the commitments one may have at Christmas.

Shyness and the power of feelings - do feelings signal arrogance, in the sense of mistaken self assessment, or inner richness?
The seat of feeling contains both shyness and its opposite. Feeling is naturally the seat of the power of Lucifer. Feeling is that soul faculty that man actually has nothing to do with, because he’s continuously dominated by the personality with which he is so much identified that he takes those feelings for his own. Indeed, we could say that feelings, in a sense, are absurd. Searching for some logic in feelings, we realize that there’s not much to be found. Feelings are in perpetual mutation, they are unstable, constantly swinging between one pole and its opposite. In modern man, feeling has become pretty sick. Because it’s not any longer enlivened as it was in the past - when people were still capable of lyric enthusiasm for certain values - feeling is confined to the instincts, that is, to cerebralism. This modern quality of feeling is a major weakness of man. Whenever a pure feeling timidly begins to appear, it lacks the strength to really emerge and become stable, and it dies out.

Now, spiritual discipline absolutely requires the forces of feeling. Part of our work plan is the rebirth of true feelings, but supporting these true feelings with the strength they require is an incredibly difficult task. The difficulty is, powerful are the feelings by which we are overwhelmed, rather than the ones we would like to nurture. Therefore, the whole point with meditation and concentration is to evoke new feelings, feelings that are spiritual powers, rather than spiritual submission to Lucifer. As a matter of fact, Lucifer dominates the astral body, which is entirely governed by feeling, and sickened feeling spans our entire being: we have it in the brain, we have it in the sphere of metabolism, and we have it primarily in its seat. This sort of feeling is far from helpful, it rather brings confusion to our thoughts, to which man usually responds with intellectualism and cerebralism. That’s why the task is extremely difficult. Nevertheless our spiritual work only is correct when the content of meditation elicits the birth of feeling, every time. Then we can say that the work is taking the right direction. It’s the same with concentration. Since concentration is a work of pure thinking, one may wonder what kind of feeling concentration could evoke. Indeed, concentration can surely evoke true feeling.

When concentration succeeds in giving our thinking the possibility to be itself, the possibility to live in us as a pure force, it inevitably ends up joining its opposite pole, that is, the will. In normal conditions thinking does not impact the will. The will converges entirely into the sphere of metabolism and becomes instinct. But through the exercise of concentration - if we are doing a good job - we come to a point when we feel that thinking tends to connect with something that is its opposite - that truly feels like an opposite inner space. From this conjunction a thinking force of will is born, that brings in it a subtle joy, a profound joy. In that space, feeling is like a subtle force in the process of recovering its true worth. So, if we want to nurture pure, marvelous feelings we have to master concentration. And we should not indulge ourselves with meditation if we are not able to concentrate.

This is the case of many, who find meditation easier, since they immediately enter a kind of state of commotion. In that way, however, they are not really connecting with the true force of feeling. In that sort of commotion, there is still that dispersive, Luciferic element. True feeling only arises as a consequence of pure, terse, luminous, intense work of thinking. From it, a feeling emerges that is given as a state of subtle bliss. Only when this is achieved, we can proceed to strengthen that bliss through meditation. And here we have a question that I had planned to address towards the end, but maybe we can tackle it now: “Prayer and knowledge”.

We can say that prayer is a great force. So great that, I would dare to say, we have to deserve to pray. Otherwise we are not praying. In prayer, there is the possibility of an intimate contact with the divine, and we cannot have the presumption of effecting it at will. Here I should open a brief aside, because Walter is giving me a frowning look. We surely have to be able to pray in any situation, especially if we are in trouble, especially if we have to help someone who is in danger. Here I recall - I’m not sure if Francesca is here - she has witnessed a recovery from an inoperable cancer, realized through prayer. That was the intense, day and night prayer of a mother who wanted to save her daughter. That kind of prayer we must be able to do in any situation. But here, we are rather talking of prayer as a method of spiritual communion with the divine. We have to understand that in us there lies the possibility to approach the spiritual world in extreme sincerity, with the courage of the highest sincerity, that is with the recognition, the conviction, that the spiritual world needs human prayer - true prayer, not the egoistic type. Through prayer, a being helps the spiritual worlds operate on Earth. However, this is very difficult. It means to access through prayer an utterly pure part of oneself, only accessible if one is capable of that purity and brightness of thinking we have spoken of. Such space has to be deserved, it is not at our disposal.

We have to come to feel that our shoulders are not laden with error or wrongdoing, otherwise it’s impossible to feel brave enough to evoke the divine in ourselves. In this sense, I insist: we need to deserve to pray. That type of prayer truly is a great activity, similar to the prayer of bygone saints, because it helps everyone. One helps both oneself and one’s neighbors also. At Christmas time, for instance, we can prepare for this quality of prayer. Prayer, in its essence, is meditation brought to its truest and highest expression. Prayer is in meditation, if it’s not in meditation, it’s not prayer. Everything we are able to gain in terms of inner strengths can eventually find expression in prayer. We can connect this with what our Doctor says in “Initiation”: that prayer is a moment of silence, a moment of “meekness and silence”, as it were, when one quietly waits for the descent of the spiritual world. At this point we can even consider the value of prayer in this way: we simply ask for a contact with the divine, and the divine responds in the way it decides to respond. It’s not up to us to suggest how it should respond. Only in this way can we truly educate our feeling.

The activity of the astral and etheric forces, against which the I has to realize its fundamental immobility”.
Here we have to say that the I is a great mystery. If you think about it, there is a part of it where it is already within the spiritual world, where it knows everything, in agreement with the Logos, as a descendant of Logos, in profound union with it. Only subsequently it becomes particular, it descends. The I really is the immobile engine of the three forces: thinking, feeling and will. However, this happens outside of the conscious personality. At the border area, when the I becomes aware of itself, an inversion takes place. This is our peculiar human condition, where we hold everything in reflection. We only perceive the reflection of our I, that is its contrary, the exact opposite of the I we have just described. We have reflected thought - that you know well, we have many times discussed reflected thought, abstract thought, and so on. And we also have reflected feeling - the Luciferic one - and reflected will - the Ahrimanic one.

In a certain sense, by becoming man, we have become the enemies of the Spirit. But man has ended up being this remarkable blend under certain guidance, and now that this human remarkable mixture is coming to a certain level of completion, elaborating his machine-based civilization entirely based on extra-refined wisdom of the physical world, there emerges an activity able to operate the conjunction between the I we have described - the marvelous one, the divine one - and the immanent one. We have the transcendent I and the immanent I. This activity is of course thinking, in which man has the possibility to be the free bearer of the I, even in the context of the current, rather intricate situation.

Whoever does the exercise of concentration knows that. Let’s take this beautiful human specimen we have described, who holds everything in reflection. Let him do the exercise of concentration. At the beginning, it will work well for him, before a surprise attack by the adversarial forces strikes him. These beings are incredibly clever, but also, in a certain sense, naive. When someone all of a sudden initiates a certain activity, they are not prepared to block him, so at the beginning concentration works well. Then, as soon as the adversarial forces realize that he’s actively working at something specific, they do all in their power to impede him to pursue that work. That’s when concentration becomes difficult. As an aside, I would say that, when one experiences big difficulties, an advisable strategy is to change the type or form of exercise. It’s a good idea to tackle a different work, unplanned, if one is knowledgeable in a variety of exercises - our Doctor has provided many of them, indeed. Suddenly working with something that the adversarial forces don’t expect is an effective defense strategy. In this way, one can make progress. And once the enemies rewire their attack to hamper the new efforts, then one should come back to the initial exercises. You see, I am saying it rough and ready, but this is absolutely true. By the way, I can assure you that I never dare to offer technical advice without careful and precise consultation with our Doctor. You can have complete trust in that. End of side note.

So we discover this activity - thinking - that connects the true I with the reflected I. We are free to do this operation. If man was thoroughly logical, completely logical - all ‘logical’ thoughts, used instrumentally in order to affirm this or that cultural value, are inevitably incomplete, they are half-thoughts, they only provide the short-sighted satisfaction of serving a certain worldview - so if man really thought the thoughts of materialism, the thoughts of positivism, all the way through, one would come to the discovery that standard thinking activity just stops at a certain level. Normally one is drawn to avoid reaching the true reality of thinking. We prefer to stop the process at a certain stage that satisfies the particular aspiration, be it social, political, philosophical or psychological.

On the contrary, the education of thinking works at the task of knowing thinking in its true nature, and we discover that it’s a scientific task. In other words, if science is absolute logic and empiricism, if it aspires to absolute accuracy, then we have to admit that science today still knows nothing about thinking. If we apply to thinking the principle of empiricism, of absolute objectivity - thereby realizing the principles of natural science as we can read in the Philosophy of freedom - then we discover a force of thinking that really leads man to become the determiner and the knower of his destiny. Thinking leads man to understand the I, who really stands at the origin of everything. When we start to have that particular relationship with will, as we have described, such will is the true expression of the I. Once we know that polarity of will, we are already in connection with the I. We could even boldly say that we are already in connection with the Logos, because the will that man can activate comes from the highest power in the spiritual worlds. Now, let’s read again the question: “The activity of the astral and etheric forces against which the I has to realize its fundamental immobility”.

Yes - when the I begins to awaken, the human mistake usually depends on the fact that the I is moved by that which itself should move. For instance, the reflected I continually obey corporeal demands. It continually obeys everything coming from the side of feeling, from perception, from the instincts, from habitual thoughts. We could say that such an I is the epiphenomenon of physical life, that is, a production, an outgrowth of physical, animal life. In this sense materialists are not wrong when they state that our I is the sum total of this beautiful human soup of instincts, sentiments, etcetera. In reality, we discover that they are right because that’s exactly the area where they themselves live, and that our thinking can quit that zone and enter another zone, where thinking is free. So we realize how much the I is maneuvered, moved, humiliated. When one becomes angry, for example, the I is pretty much like a puppet. Under the instinct of anger, one can do really reprehensible things. And here we understand the suggestion in the question: the I has to realize its fundamental immobility. This becomes finally possible when - through the intensity of thinking and through the strengthening of the thinking will - the I starts to have a tool with which it can pierce into human nature. Finally, the ego experiences moments, sometimes minutes, when it overcomes that dispersion and is able to identify itself with the higher self that can’t be seized by astral forces, passions, or instincts. The ego finds itself in a sort of central place that is a center of divinity in the world, thereby realizing that immobility, or stability. Aristotle understood that, when he spoke of ‘nous’ as the immobile engine. It sounds like a poetic expression, but that’s exactly how things are. Facing the chaotic mobility of instincts, passions and thoughts, the I creates immobility and brings order. One is enabled to identify with one’s foundation, from which there is no need to fight. The I has no need to fight passions and instincts. We start by fighting our passions and instincts, but the wiser we become, the less we do it. What we need to fight instead are the adversarial forces. This identification with the force of the I is not a continuous experience, though, but as much as we become able to experience it, we become one with a force that doesn’t need to battle, and everything instantly becomes quiet.

Look at the statue of Christ in our Doctor’s The Representative of Humanity. His gesture expresses the I. This powerful being shows what the I is, still, dominating the entire Luciferic and Ahrimanic worlds, standing as representative of humanity. That is the image. So yes, the astral and etheric impulses do contain the adversarial forces. But they can’t do anything, once we succeed in our identification with the I. For concrete purposes, we have to clarify though, that we can’t remain in that awareness indefinitely. We achieve it once, then it becomes harder and harder, because the enemies naturally do all in their power to impede our work. They provoke a series of accidents or anything else that could prevent us from experiencing that condition again. Despite that, the condition is always recovered. In the end, we always win. I think there is nothing more to add.

Does the knowledge of the original coincidence of thinking will and corporeal will illuminate the way of the Grail, as a feat of the I who recognizes that initial coincidence and penetrates the sensory currents, thereby operating the resurrection of feeling?
This is a question and an answer all in one. It lightens my work, but still requires some development. It connects with our discussion so far, on the I who eventually realizes its power in its fundamental immobility. Here we receive the image of the restauration of the order of the cross. The cross symbolizes the four elements - water, air, earth, fire - that are in disarray on Earth, and in man as well, due to Luciferic and Ahrimanic influences. The cross is the symbol of a force that sets them all back into order, according to the Logos. So at the center of the cross is the force of the I. This explains why, across the centuries, the sign of the cross always wins over the demonic forces.

But when can we be sure that the order of the cross is realized in the immobility of the transcendent I, who appears in the soul, thus dominating all other forces? Let’s say that we are encouraged to understand that this is the way of the Grail. Indeed, our friend here wrote “The way of the Grail as the enterprise of the I”. You see, the way of the Grail truly is the enterprise of the I. It can’t be the enterprise of the astral body. When the relationship between the two is astral, it is based on fluctuating feeling, duality, opposites, sympathies, antipathies, love… There are tragic love relationships where beings love and hate each other, the opposite feeling continually prevails. They can’t live separated, but when they are close they fight. That’s the astral, not the I. That’s why we speak of conquering the I out of love for the other being. That’s the true relationship of faithfulness, where the whole drama of jealousy vanishes.

The problem is that it is believed that the I is an abstract entity, and the I is frozen up. It’s understood as the philosophical I, the I of idealism, and so we fall back into intellectualism, where there’s not even an atom of inner power. In German language, I is said “ich” where we can recognize the initials of Christ - Iesus Christ. And even the word “io” [Italian for I] becomes "Dio" [God] if we add a “d”.
When we live in the I, we really are in the ocean of force. This was understood by an Indian, a beautiful, marvelous figure - Ramana Maharshi. He is an exception in the East. At a time when he was still completely ignorant of Yoga, he was caught by the terror of his own death, then by the terror of the death of his loved ones. How to overcome this terror of death? - he wondered. So he started praying, noticing an impulse in himself, and so he innerly moved in the direction of seeking the I. That’s how he started to experience the I - the Eastern way: he sat down there and never moved again. For us in the West that would not be the right way. Here, we truly need to put our thinking at work, and then we need to get this I to cope with life. However, we can learn from the experience of Ramana Maharshi and see that this I is really the guarantor of authentic love. Love is indeed woven in the fabric of the astral body, but without the emergence of the I, it can’t work.

In this sense, the enterprise of the Grail is the enterprise of the I. Sacred love is the great courage of the I, the courage to be the witness of Light, the independent bearer of Light. That’s when the I-force becomes Logos. That’s where true love is born between two beings also. Love is difficult because the astral body always wants to come in and replace the I. So we see that the initial enthusiasm and the poetic impulses get damped. The only way to recover the truly loving relationship is to recreate it through the I. Initially, the relationship triggers the astral body as something that comes from karma, and it really has the power to become something wonderful, but then it has to be enlivened through the I. Those who care about the experience of the Grail need to hear this: the marvelous union of love that they have known needs to be found again by the I, in great autonomy. This gives us another chance to recall that when I-love is true, that is the love of Christ that finally enters humanity, to operate as the savior of humanity.