Massimo Scaligero

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: Massimo Scaligero

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:24 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:02 pm Federica, thanks for providing these additional interesting details on your viewpoint. I don't really disagree with anything you state, to the extent that I am understanding it properly.
Ashvin,

In fact I didn’t add any details on my viewpoint. This is the first time I’ve written something about how I understand “Earth”, and what I've written is my main understanding. It may be wrong, but if it is, it’s mainly wrong. Not that some details are wrong. Also, what do you mean by “I don’t really disagree”? :)

Federica,

I don’t think it’s wrong or mainly wrong but rather it is narrowed down to particular qualities of the Earth’s evolving organism and is using that as a basis to describe the essential Earth-being in an occult sense. Those qualities are indeed there but as usual, we can fall into a trap by trying to derive any essential being from particular snapshots of experience, especially if the snapshots are rooted more in feeling qualities than thinking qualities. At the end of the day, the essential being is always to be found in the more spiritual element – the “I”-being - that clothes itself in various soul and body elements. But that doesn’t mean we are ignoring the soul and body, because the I-being can only be comprehended in relation to them. Nevertheless, it is the I-being that directs and harmonizes the various soul and body qualities.

By “really”, I suppose that I meant there were parts of the post that were confusing to me so I couldn’t say whether I agreed or disagreed completely, although the gist or ‘feeling-will’ of the post seemed agreeable to me :)

Federica wrote: Maybe we shall clarify what we put in the expression 'occult meaning of Earth' and maybe I misunderstood your initial question. I see here that you are referring to the Earth evolutionary period, while in my post I have focused on the Earth-being, which is why I spoke of the different quality of soul expressed by the Earth-being in relation to the other planets. Of course, the two occult meanings of Earth are very related, but what’s in between the two is the evolution of the other planets. These are all undergoing a parallel, though non self-similar evolutionary process, I suppose, so if we want to speak of the occult evolutionary period called Earth, as you do, then yes, we include all planets, but if we want to speak of the occult Earth-being within the current Earth period, then we need to differentiate it from the other planets, which is what I was doing above. So for example when you say:

"As you know, the evolutionary task of Earth is to develop free and loving I-beings."

I understand that you are referring to the evolutionary task of the Earth period, and you are not saying that this task is the peculiarity of our Earthly humanity? I suppose this is the meaning, because I understand that also Mars men, for example, are supposed to accomplish this same task during their current evolution.

The expression 'occult sense of Earth' started with Cleric’s quote on Mars that I shared earlier and that basically sparked this discussion. I think his subsequent post also made it clear that we are speaking of a mode of consciousness that the essential I-being has metamorphosed into at this particular stage of evolution for critical evolutionary tasks.

Cleric wrote:The understanding that I have arrived at and which seems to match MS’s quote above, is that sensory space should be taken as an infinity in all directions. No matter how far we wander we basically find only Earth in the occult sense (it is still an interesting question what would the psychic effect be if a human reaches the edge of the Solar system for example). Thus the other worlds are to be grasped by our thinking not as spatially separated but more in the sense of frequency separation – as a spectrum. Obviously, such an understanding can be a trap just as well if it remains only as an intellectual theory. But at least it gives us a way to embrace the infinity of the sensory world in all directions and realize that we won’t find the higher worlds even if we could enter below the Sun’s surface for example. As we have said so many times, the reality of the higher worlds is found only when our inner life (which for most is flattened over and sucked into the sensory perceptions/organs/nervous system) becomes ‘delaminated’ and we begin to distinguish the life of the spirit in the different realms.

The perspective of sensory space being an infinity in all directions is definitely a peculiarity of our Earthly humanity and one could say it only developed in the last few cultural epochs, although it was in preparation for many ages and we can discern the gradient of that development. Beings within other planetary spheres do not have the sort of objective consciousness that we have evolved here, since it was only possible with a certain constellation of members that are together on the perceptual plane. Even our fellow non-human beings on Earth do not have this perspective because their essential I-being still lives within the higher ‘frequency bands’ where the other spheres are to be found as well - the astral (animal), lower spirit region (plant), and higher spirit region (mineral).

The essential Earth-being must be understood as an evolving organ, perhaps the heart, within a Cosmic organism. Its macrocosmic bodies are the spirits underlying the kingdoms of Nature and its Spirit is humanity as a spiritual whole i.e. the ideational life of humanity. And humanity as a spiritual whole is itself a composition of all the planetary spheres and the higher hierarchies at work within them. So with essential being we always expand out to the spiritual Cosmos at large. Just like the activity of our bodies and soul-spirit cannot be understood when isolated from those of other beings on Earth, the Earth-being cannot be understood when isolated from the other planetary spheres. We can certainly distinguish them but if we want to penetrate the essential nature of the Earth-being, we must approach it as an evolving, interconnected, organic being.

Steiner wrote:If we still seek a meaning as to the laws of nature in the things of the world perceptible to our senses, we should be able to interpret this meaning as the imprint of the Planetary Spirit in the sense-world. That would be the external Maya. In the first place the sense-world itself is an external Maya, for it is what the etheric body the earth, the substance of the nature-spirits, drives out of itself. A second Maya is what appears to man of the nature-spirits in the forces of nature. A third Maya is that which appears as the laws of nature, coming from the Spirits of the Rotation of Time. A fourth Maya is something which, in spite of its Maya-nature, speaks to the soul of man because, in the perception of the purpose of nature, man at any rate feels himself united with the Spirit of the whole planet, with the Spirit which leads the planet through cosmic space, and gives meaning in fact to the whole planet. In this Maya lies the direct imprint of the Planetary Spirit itself.

Thus we may say that we have to-day ascended to the undivided Spirit of the Planet. If again we wish to compare what we have now discovered for the planet, with man, we may say: “The sense-world corresponds to the physical body of man; the world of nature-spirits to the etheric body, the world of the Spirits of the Rotation of Time to the astral body, and the Planetary Spirit to the ego of man.” Just as the ego of man perceives the physical environment of earth, so does the Planetary Spirit perceive everything in the periphery, and in cosmic space as a whole outside the planet; it adjusts the acts of the planet and also the feelings of the planet, of which we shall speak tomorrow, according to these perceptions of cosmic space. For what a planet does outside in space when it passes on its way in cosmic distances, and what it effects its own body, in the elements of which it consists, that again is the result of the observations of the Planetary with regard to the external world. Just as the individual human soul lives in the world of the earth side by side with other men, and adjusts himself to them, so does the Planetary Spirit live in its planetary body, which is the ground on which we stand; but this Planetary Spirit lives in fellowship with other planetary Spirits, other Spirits of the heavenly bodies.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:34 pm Federica,

I don’t think it’s wrong or mainly wrong but rather it is narrowed down to particular qualities of the Earth’s evolving organism and is using that as a basis to describe the essential Earth-being in an occult sense. Those qualities are indeed there but as usual, we can fall into a trap by trying to derive any essential being from particular snapshots of experience, especially if the snapshots are rooted more in feeling qualities than thinking qualities. At the end of the day, the essential being is always to be found in the more spiritual element – the “I”-being - that clothes itself in various soul and body elements. But that doesn’t mean we are ignoring the soul and body, because the I-being can only be comprehended in relation to them. Nevertheless, it is the I-being that directs and harmonizes the various soul and body qualities.

By “really”, I suppose that I meant there were parts of the post that were confusing to me so I couldn’t say whether I agreed or disagreed completely, although the gist or ‘feeling-will’ of the post seemed agreeable to me :)

Ashvin, you surely know the expression “This sounds like compliment, but in reality it's much closer to criticism”. Well, it’s precisely how I feel reading the above. :) I was not trying to write agreeable fiction. Or a glamorised occult portrait of the Earth. And the reason why I focused on Soul-Feeling is, the topic was (at least as I mis-interpreted it) the astral world:

Cleric wrote: from the perspective of higher cognition the planetary spheres are like one within another. A rough analogy can be drawn with the electron shells of the atom. For this reason the soul or astral body, is actually weaved of all the spheres. In fact that's why the term 'astral' is at all justified.

So my understanding is that when we speak of the astral world of the spheres - and that’s how I was speaking of the Earth-being - we are speaking of our soul quality, which is where our feeling resides, together with our whole personality, its preferences, specific traits and biases. This is the reason for the “feeling gist”. As I wrote, I believe the I sits one level up, one level above the planetary level, at the level of the intergalactic space, to say it in terms of sensory equivalent. Do you mean this doesn’t make sense?

Ashvin wrote:Just like the activity of our bodies and soul-spirit cannot be understood when isolated from those of other beings on Earth, the Earth-being cannot be understood when isolated from the other planetary spheres. We can certainly distinguish them but if we want to penetrate the essential nature of the Earth-being, we must approach it as an evolving, interconnected, organic being.

I don’t understand why you keep hammering away with that. I believe I made clear how I understand the spheres in connection with each other already in my initial post on Mars. If you mean that I am not getting it, would you please indicate a particular passage? That would be more clear, because at the moment I don't think there is one.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:27 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:34 pm Federica,

Ashvin, you surely know the expression “This sounds like compliment, but in reality it's much closer to criticism”. Well, it’s precisely how I feel reading the above. :) I was not trying to write agreeable fiction. Or a glamorised occult portrait of the Earth. And the reason why I focused on Soul-Feeling is, the topic was (at least as I mis-interpreted it) the astral world:

Cleric wrote: from the perspective of higher cognition the planetary spheres are like one within another. A rough analogy can be drawn with the electron shells of the atom. For this reason the soul or astral body, is actually weaved of all the spheres. In fact that's why the term 'astral' is at all justified.

So my understanding is that when we speak of the astral world of the spheres - and that’s how I was speaking of the Earth-being - we are speaking of our soul quality, which is where our feeling resides, together with our whole personality, its preferences, specific traits and biases. This is the reason for the “feeling gist”. As I wrote, I believe the I sits one level up, one level above the planetary level, at the level of the intergalactic space, to say it in terms of sensory equivalent. Do you mean this doesn’t make sense?

Ashvin wrote:Just like the activity of our bodies and soul-spirit cannot be understood when isolated from those of other beings on Earth, the Earth-being cannot be understood when isolated from the other planetary spheres. We can certainly distinguish them but if we want to penetrate the essential nature of the Earth-being, we must approach it as an evolving, interconnected, organic being.

I don’t understand why you keep hammering away with that. I believe I made clear how I understand the spheres in connection with each other already in my initial post on Mars. If you mean that I am not getting it, would you please indicate a particular passage? That would be more clear, because at the moment I don't think there is one.

Federica,

We should try not to think with these dichotomies because they don’t align with reality. If we are provided something that sounds like a 100% complement then we should look for the constructive criticism in it as well, because there is surely something we can improve on in our ideas and intuitive orientation on any particular spiritual topic. And if we are approaching someone else’s ideas without 100% percent criticality then we should look for the complementarity in their ideas as well, because it is surely there even if we don’t perceive it at first. The same thing applies to our concepts of “right” and “wrong” ideas or understandings. It is not a realistic dichotomy since our conceptual activity is always probing reality and our ideas search for a harmony of the facts - some ideas will always be relatively disharmonious compared to others that emerge through the continual process of searching. One of my favorite quotes from Steiner has been shared here many times:

Steiner wrote:This makes it explainable to us how people can have such different concepts, such different views of reality, in spite of the fact that reality can, after all, only be one. The difference lies in the difference between our intellectual worlds. This sheds light for us upon the development of the different scientific standpoints. We understand where the many philosophical standpoints originate, and do not need to bestow the palm of truth exclusively upon one of them. We also know which standpoint we ourselves have to take with respect to the multiplicity of human views. We will not ask exclusively: What is true, what is false? We will always investigate how the intellectual world of a thinker goes forth from the world harmony; we will seek to understand and not to judge negatively and regard at once as error that which does not correspond with our own view. Another source of differentiation between our scientific standpoints is added to this one through the fact that every individual person has a different field of experience. Each person is indeed confronted, as it were, by one section of the whole of reality. His intellect works upon this and is his mediator on the way to the idea. But even though we all do therefore perceive the same idea, still we always do this from different places. Therefore, only the end result to which we come can be the same; our paths, however, can be different. It absolutely does not matter at all whether the individual judgments and concepts of which our knowing consists correspond to each other or not; the only thing that matters is that they ultimately lead us to the point that we are swimming in the main channel of the idea.

I could have chosen to avoid quoting that again because I have quoted it many times before, and you and others here will surely have read it, and that is simply hammering the point again for no reason. But, in my experience, that is not the way things work. Clearly, our modern thinking needs to encounter and engage the same ideas over and over again in humility and good faith for them to really take root in our souls and become 2nd-nature habits of thinking. Not everything we write is a direct challenge, refutation, or correction of the immediately previous comments, but simply a way of giving the intuitive organism a consistent diet of principled ideas that are most habitually neglected by modern thinking.

Of course, I also mention these principles because they have some relevance to the ideas being discussed, which in this case is 'Earth in the occult sense'. What you expressed about the Earth-being and its soul quality is actually similar to something I came across in one of Steiner’s lectures recently.

Steiner wrote:For what is the essence of our Earth? You must remember that this Earth has proceeded from the Saturn-existence as I described it in my Occult Science. In Saturn there was as yet no air, no gas, no liquid, no solid earth-constituent. There were only varied differentiations of warmth. But in those warmth-conditions, everything that afterwards became the mineral, plant and animal, and human kingdoms was contained germinally. We human beings, too, were in the warmth of ancient Saturn.

Then evolution went forward. Out of the warmth, air was precipitated, water was precipitated, and at length the solid element. All these are remnants, precipitated, cast out by humanity in order that it might attain its further evolution. The whole solid mineral world belongs to us. It is but a relic that has remained behind. So, too, the watery and airy elements. Thus the real essence of our Earth is not what we have in the kingdoms of Nature, and not even what we carry in our bones and muscles (for these too are composed of what we have thus cast out and afterwards absorbed again). Our own souls are the real essence, and everything else is in reality more or less a semblance, a remnant, a waste product, or the like.

The only true description of the Earth would be to describe it as the colony of the souls of man in cosmic space.

Thus are all the stars colonies of spiritual Beings in cosmic space, colonies which we can learn to know as such. And having passed through the gate of death, our own soul lives and moves among these starry colonies. It goes on its further journey, evolving towards a new birth in community with other human souls that are there, and with the Beings of higher or even of lower Hierarchies. And when a man's karma is elaborated and he is ripe to take on an earthly body once again, his soul starts on the returning journey.

To understand karma, therefore, we must return once more to a wisdom of the stars. We must discover spiritually the paths of man between death and a new birth in connection with the Beings of the stars.

So your original post clearly honed in on something correct about the Earth-being and its relation to the other planetary spheres. Still, perhaps you were placing too much importance on one angle of approach to the exclusion of others that would allow a more holistic intuitive orientation. The Earth-being, and our own microcosmic soul-being, is comprised of all the spheres in its astral nature, which is why we speak of the lotus flowers in the astral body for example, but what is it that differentiates the Earth sphere in the occult sense from all the other spheres? That is primarily found in our objective ideational activity on the physical plane where our dead thinking separates us from the life of Cosmic influences. That is the initial basis for our freedom as I-beings. The life of feeling is clearly embedded in the life of thinking as well, so it is still correct to point out that certain feeling qualities associated with dead thinking are characteristic of the Earth-being, but that isn’t the primary factor. If we restrict to only those feeling qualities, we are missing the broader view of I-development that is characteristic of the Earth aeon.

Technically, our dead thinking still takes place in our soul-life i.e. the intellectual and consciousness souls that are ‘modifications’ of the astral body and where our "I" is currently active. It is in that thinking where Earth humanity separates from Cosmic rhythms and configures new abstracted relationships, which can eventually be given new life through the Christ impulse and raised back up in the Cosmic spheres when we travel through them after death. In other words, our objective consciousness is developed in isolation and then carried back up into the spheres of imagination, inspiration, and intuition from which we originally descended. This new feedback we provide to the beings of the 3rd hierarchy will then go into building up the objective environment on the next planetary incarnation. We could say that, when the imaginative state becomes fully objectified so that it can manifest concretely on the perceptual plane, then the Earth-being metamorphoses into the Jupiter-being and, returning to one of your original questions, it won’t be serving as the same point balance in the Cosmic organism. From our perspective at that time, it will still be serving as some point of balance in the Cosmos, but not in the same way that it is now.

But if we fail to resurrect our dead thinking through the life of objective thinking itself, which serves as a portal to consciously reintegrate feeling and will forces, then we will continue being wasteful, journeying into far distances of space and deluding ourselves into feeling-thinking that we are discovering ‘new worlds’ and doing something productive for humanity, when we are actually remaining in the exact same place (or going around in tiny circles) in the occult sense, carrying the isolated Earth state with us wherever we go. As long as we fail to experience the spheres as colonies of spiritual beings that are also within us, then we are spreading the isolated Earth-state throughout space, since that lack of spiritual experience is what is most characteristic of the Earth-state in the task of developing inner freedom and human love.

Does that make sense?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:26 pm Federica,

We should try not to think with these dichotomies because they don’t align with reality. If we are provided something that sounds like a 100% complement then we should look for the constructive criticism in it as well, because there is surely something we can improve on in our ideas and intuitive orientation on any particular spiritual topic. And if we are approaching someone else’s ideas without 100% percent criticality then we should look for the complementarity in their ideas as well, because it is surely there even if we don’t perceive it at first. The same thing applies to our concepts of “right” and “wrong” ideas or understandings. It is not a realistic dichotomy since our conceptual activity is always probing reality and our ideas search for a harmony of the facts - some ideas will always be relatively disharmonious compared to others that emerge through the continual process of searching. One of my favorite quotes from Steiner has been shared here many times:

Steiner wrote:This makes it explainable to us how people can have such different concepts, such different views of reality, in spite of the fact that reality can, after all, only be one. The difference lies in the difference between our intellectual worlds. This sheds light for us upon the development of the different scientific standpoints. We understand where the many philosophical standpoints originate, and do not need to bestow the palm of truth exclusively upon one of them. We also know which standpoint we ourselves have to take with respect to the multiplicity of human views. We will not ask exclusively: What is true, what is false? We will always investigate how the intellectual world of a thinker goes forth from the world harmony; we will seek to understand and not to judge negatively and regard at once as error that which does not correspond with our own view. Another source of differentiation between our scientific standpoints is added to this one through the fact that every individual person has a different field of experience. Each person is indeed confronted, as it were, by one section of the whole of reality. His intellect works upon this and is his mediator on the way to the idea. But even though we all do therefore perceive the same idea, still we always do this from different places. Therefore, only the end result to which we come can be the same; our paths, however, can be different. It absolutely does not matter at all whether the individual judgments and concepts of which our knowing consists correspond to each other or not; the only thing that matters is that they ultimately lead us to the point that we are swimming in the main channel of the idea.

I could have chosen to avoid quoting that again because I have quoted it many times before, and you and others here will surely have read it, and that is simply hammering the point again for no reason. But, in my experience, that is not the way things work. Clearly, our modern thinking needs to encounter and engage the same ideas over and over again in humility and good faith for them to really take root in our souls and become 2nd-nature habits of thinking. Not everything we write is a direct challenge, refutation, or correction of the immediately previous comments, but simply a way of giving the intuitive organism a consistent diet of principled ideas that are most habitually neglected by modern thinking.

Of course, I also mention these principles because they have some relevance to the ideas being discussed, which in this case is 'Earth in the occult sense'. What you expressed about the Earth-being and its soul quality is actually similar to something I came across in one of Steiner’s lectures recently.

Steiner wrote:For what is the essence of our Earth? You must remember that this Earth has proceeded from the Saturn-existence as I described it in my Occult Science. In Saturn there was as yet no air, no gas, no liquid, no solid earth-constituent. There were only varied differentiations of warmth. But in those warmth-conditions, everything that afterwards became the mineral, plant and animal, and human kingdoms was contained germinally. We human beings, too, were in the warmth of ancient Saturn.

Then evolution went forward. Out of the warmth, air was precipitated, water was precipitated, and at length the solid element. All these are remnants, precipitated, cast out by humanity in order that it might attain its further evolution. The whole solid mineral world belongs to us. It is but a relic that has remained behind. So, too, the watery and airy elements. Thus the real essence of our Earth is not what we have in the kingdoms of Nature, and not even what we carry in our bones and muscles (for these too are composed of what we have thus cast out and afterwards absorbed again). Our own souls are the real essence, and everything else is in reality more or less a semblance, a remnant, a waste product, or the like.

The only true description of the Earth would be to describe it as the colony of the souls of man in cosmic space.

Thus are all the stars colonies of spiritual Beings in cosmic space, colonies which we can learn to know as such. And having passed through the gate of death, our own soul lives and moves among these starry colonies. It goes on its further journey, evolving towards a new birth in community with other human souls that are there, and with the Beings of higher or even of lower Hierarchies. And when a man's karma is elaborated and he is ripe to take on an earthly body once again, his soul starts on the returning journey.

To understand karma, therefore, we must return once more to a wisdom of the stars. We must discover spiritually the paths of man between death and a new birth in connection with the Beings of the stars.

So your original post clearly honed in on something correct about the Earth-being and its relation to the other planetary spheres. Still, perhaps you were placing too much importance on one angle of approach to the exclusion of others that would allow a more holistic intuitive orientation. The Earth-being, and our own microcosmic soul-being, is comprised of all the spheres in its astral nature, which is why we speak of the lotus flowers in the astral body for example, but what is it that differentiates the Earth sphere in the occult sense from all the other spheres? That is primarily found in our objective ideational activity on the physical plane where our dead thinking separates us from the life of Cosmic influences. That is the initial basis for our freedom as I-beings. The life of feeling is clearly embedded in the life of thinking as well, so it is still correct to point out that certain feeling qualities associated with dead thinking are characteristic of the Earth-being, but that isn’t the primary factor. If we restrict to only those feeling qualities, we are missing the broader view of I-development that is characteristic of the Earth aeon.

Technically, our dead thinking still takes place in our soul-life i.e. the intellectual and consciousness souls that are ‘modifications’ of the astral body and where our "I" is currently active. It is in that thinking where Earth humanity separates from Cosmic rhythms and configures new abstracted relationships, which can eventually be given new life through the Christ impulse and raised back up in the Cosmic spheres when we travel through them after death. In other words, our objective consciousness is developed in isolation and then carried back up into the spheres of imagination, inspiration, and intuition from which we originally descended. This new feedback we provide to the beings of the 3rd hierarchy will then go into building up the objective environment on the next planetary incarnation. We could say that, when the imaginative state becomes fully objectified so that it can manifest concretely on the perceptual plane, then the Earth-being metamorphoses into the Jupiter-being and, returning to one of your original questions, it won’t be serving as the same point balance in the Cosmic organism. From our perspective at that time, it will still be serving as some point of balance in the Cosmos, but not in the same way that it is now.

But if we fail to resurrect our dead thinking through the life of objective thinking itself, which serves as a portal to consciously reintegrate feeling and will forces, then we will continue being wasteful, journeying into far distances of space and deluding ourselves into feeling-thinking that we are discovering ‘new worlds’ and doing something productive for humanity, when we are actually remaining in the exact same place (or going around in tiny circles) in the occult sense, carrying the isolated Earth state with us wherever we go. As long as we fail to experience the spheres as colonies of spiritual beings that are also within us, then we are spreading the isolated Earth-state throughout space, since that lack of spiritual experience is what is most characteristic of the Earth-state in the task of developing inner freedom and human love.

Does that make sense?

As for the critique - it makes sense, of course. The reason why I asked for less vague critique was precisely that I know there is a lot I can improve on. But it was not clear to me how. In this post, you are making it more specific, so thanks for that, Ashvin.

I also see what you want to communicate with the Steiner quote (by the way, it's the first time I see it, as much as I can remember :)) I would add that it's only common language to say "this is right and this is wrong", and even when we are aware of the sense of the quote, we still use these expressions, right/wrong, correct/incorrect, accurate/inaccurate... the variations are many. We use them, but it doesn't mean that we necessarily think in dichotomies.

As for your last paragraphs - I follow, but not everything is perfectly clear. I would need to gain a deeper understanding of "astral" and "soul", and the book by Kürten seems to be a great way to improve on this, and on many other things, through both systematizing and expanding the quality of understanding. So I will keep reading, as patiently as possible, and possibly comment on the other thread.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Federica wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm As for your last paragraphs - I follow, but not everything is perfectly clear. I would need to gain a deeper understanding of "astral" and "soul", and the book by Kürten seems to be a great way to improve on this, and on many other things, through both systematizing and expanding the quality of understanding. So I will keep reading, as patiently as possible, and possibly comment on the other thread.
The simple way I like to think about it is that the soul-life links that of the body - physical actions in connection with the life of perception, nutrition, reproduction, and so forth - with that of the spirit – scientific, aesthetic, and moral ideals. Steiner refers to all aspects of the soul-life as 'modifications' of the astral body. At first the link is formed through dim instincts, drives, and passions by which higher ideal activity from supersensible beings work into and through us in an unconscious way. That is the life of our sentient soul. Then the soul-life is further refined so that the sentient life becomes more lucid to us in the form of mental pictures and verbal concepts. That is the life of the intellectual soul and the birth of the individual who is semi-conscious. Now we come to what we can call 'thinking' proper as opposed to an inner life that is rooted only in communal feeling qualities, but our concepts are still completely ordered by supersensible impulses. Then there is further refinement in the soul-life so that thinking can become conscious of its own activity, i.e. it starts to observe and reflect on that activity. That is the life of the consciousness soul that becomes the most individual and isolated, also allowing for a tiny island of genuinely free will, which is where our I-being has progressed so far. By reflecting on its own activity, it starts to probe the life of ideals through philosophy, science, politics, art, spirituality. Although we are very close to the spirit life proper at this point, we are still technically within the soul-life. We still experience the life of ideals as something hazy, intangible, and insignificant for most practical purposes while the life of the lower personality (sentient-astral) and body (physical-etheric) is experienced as more concrete and significant for practical life.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:16 pm
Federica wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm As for your last paragraphs - I follow, but not everything is perfectly clear. I would need to gain a deeper understanding of "astral" and "soul", and the book by Kürten seems to be a great way to improve on this, and on many other things, through both systematizing and expanding the quality of understanding. So I will keep reading, as patiently as possible, and possibly comment on the other thread.
The simple way I like to think about it is that the soul-life links that of the body - physical actions in connection with the life of perception, nutrition, reproduction, and so forth - with that of the spirit – scientific, aesthetic, and moral ideals. Steiner refers to all aspects of the soul-life as 'modifications' of the astral body. At first the link is formed through dim instincts, drives, and passions by which higher ideal activity from supersensible beings work into and through us in an unconscious way. That is the life of our sentient soul. Then the soul-life is further refined so that the sentient life becomes more lucid to us in the form of mental pictures and verbal concepts. That is the life of the intellectual soul and the birth of the individual who is semi-conscious. Now we come to what we can call 'thinking' proper as opposed to an inner life that is rooted only in communal feeling qualities, but our concepts are still completely ordered by supersensible impulses. Then there is further refinement in the soul-life so that thinking can become conscious of its own activity, i.e. it starts to observe and reflect on that activity. That is the life of the consciousness soul that becomes the most individual and isolated, also allowing for a tiny island of genuinely free will, which is where our I-being has progressed so far. By reflecting on its own activity, it starts to probe the life of ideals through philosophy, science, politics, art, spirituality. Although we are very close to the spirit life proper at this point, we are still technically within the soul-life. We still experience the life of ideals as something hazy, intangible, and insignificant for most practical purposes while the life of the lower personality (sentient-astral) and body (physical-etheric) is experienced as more concrete and significant for practical life.

The simple way I used to think about it was: soul equals character, preferences and feeling. But your dynamic view is more encompassing, where soul includes the evolving quality of thinking activity. Makes much more sense. Thank you!
Federica

Post by Federica »

In another thread, I have previously reported some excerpts from this lecture [1]. Here comes the complete version:

- Origin of racism
- Nicotine and alcohol
- Thinking liberated from the nervous system
- Atoms and particles as etheric entities
- Nature of darkness and light
- The astral body of man

Rome, November 28, 1978

[Reading a question] “Dear Massimo, why is the materialist racist by necessity?
Because the racist is materialist by necessity. That is, racism as an ideology is a contradiction, a systematized error of thought. But one can be unconsciously racist, when one is materialist. When it’s felt that one belongs to a certain race, for instance, and from that place other races are jostled, one is already within racism. Indeed, we learn that nations are formed through the union of different races, according to an idea that goes beyond race. Something is created that lies above blood ties. Look at the history of Italy, for instance, the process leading to unification, and the melting pot of races. Think about Sicily, where there are the Nordic, blond ones, the most dark-skinned Mediterraneans, the Black ones, they are all there. The topic would lead us far, but at least it’s good to clarify that: if materialism is not overcome, racism is inevitable, because one is enclosed within the limits of a physical form that is felt as the only value that connects us to others and makes life worth living. Therefore, any form of hatred is racist, be it against a nation, or against a race. I believe we have a shared understanding and there is no need to insist on this point. The thing is, unfortunately we thought that the question was overcome, but there are negative signs, when for example we see that certain ethnic groups rebel against the nation they belong to. In the name of what do they revolt? They want autonomy. I understand autonomy in the case of the [----] for example. In that case there is religion in the background, there is a spiritual state, there is even something akin to tripartition. But in the case of the Basques for instance, what are the Basques looking for? When one looks at things without reading the newspapers… how is it possible…

Let’s move on: “Dear Massimo, does nicotine in general hinder spiritual evolution?
Here there is plenty to say. It’s not nicotine that hinders. If it only were nicotine! Then we would eliminate it, and we would be all good, evolution would finally have the go-ahead. Any addiction to a habit is a fold of the soul and that’s what hinders evolution. If nicotine at some point has become a life necessity, you could eliminate it, but then it could be anything else. The thought is the impediment, or let’s say, it’s the soul. The soul is addicted. A friend whom I had much respect for, and have to this day - he’s dead - used to say that, waking up in the morning, he would find again the joy of life in the thought of smoking a cigarette, and I remember I was wondering: “Boy… how is this possible?”. Many years later, I have understood that it’s a fact related to the nervous system, a discharge of the nervous system, at the confluence of three directions: one is nervous, another one is yearning, and the other one, etheric. However, when the result is intoxication - the two things are separate, one can smoke, without being intoxicated - the question may arise: does nicotine in general hamper evolution?

That which we can’t really say for nicotine, is indeed true for alcohol. Yes, this can be objectively said about alcohol, because alcohol has completed its task in humanity. Thus, it’s not as much the habit of drinking, as it is the fact that any minimal amount of alcohol has the power to send the etheric body to sleep. It might even not hurt physically, but just imagine the case of someone who grounds his inner balance and also his physical health on the fact that one has a certain mastery of the etheric body, because one does the exercises. If he takes in alcohol, he paralyzes his whole process of healing, including supporting the physical. For him, alcohol is truly contradictory, it’s a real danger. But in a less serious form, it is also a danger for humanity at large, because alcohol today really has exhausted its function. The Sun initiate [------] is the one who introduced alcohol - with wine. Then the most evolved man was the one who had to start thinking, start having a relationship to the physical world mediated by thought and by the senses. To achieve that, that man had to forget his spiritual homeland, and alcohol was useful, it was even an initiatic beverage. Alcohol has always been an initiatic beverage, because it helped forget the spiritual world. It helped accomplish earthly activities that would connect the initiate with the spiritual world in new ways. Today, all this has run out. Today, man really has to stop taking alcohol. He has to find again the path towards the spiritual world, as an etheric path.

Let’s move on to [reading] “The liberation of thinking as a form of victory on death that petrifies. Does thinking, freed from the nervous system, also free the etheric sphere from the power that furthers its petrification?”.
Very powerful, absolutely. The liberation of thinking is an expression we have been using for a long time. Thinking is the free self. Now, it’s all about setting in motion the real thinking, that is, making sure that thinking reveals what it is, that it appears as it truly is. Then, it appears that it’s a free element. In other words, it is that in which spirit realizes itself. Why? Because the spirit - let’s even say the I - only lives through mediations - conscious mediations. When the I finds the exclusively physical mediation, it’s forced to live physically. Behind that, the spirit is pressing. The spirit presses with thought, but thought is bound to the physical, therefore it doesn’t give us spirit. Hence, there has been a long epoch during which - while there was such reflected thought, or dead thought, or thought deprived of life - the memory of spirit was urging, it was pressing. Therefore, everything we find even in spiritual philosophy, was not the conquest of thought connected to the physical, because that one wasn’t mediating anything any longer. It didn’t give anything. Look at the Thomists, look at the Realists. Those philosophers were using thought, but in thought they were inserting a content that was dependent on their ability to still perceive the inner forces of things. Thus, they were using thought, but not as a new way towards the spirit, rather as a form that had to serve the expression of an ancient connection with the spirit that was still preserved in them - because they were more spiritual. Notice, this lasted until modern times, until the limits of the Middle Age.

It’s only when thinking became able to finally make itself independent from the ancient spiritual impulses, that thinking could become an instrument of the I (here, as you know, we should always remember Galileo and all his friends and companions). From that point the possibility emerges that thinking finally reveals itself as that in which the spirit ceases to be bound to the world of senses. Notice, that’s exactly how science was born. When science, for instance, develops in certain forms that start to overcome naive realism, it’s already on a trajectory to overcome the deceit of senses. Then it doesn’t bring it further, because it lacks awareness of what it’s doing. But let’s come back to free thinking.

When this thinking finally begins to acquire autonomy, in order to reveal what it is, then the I finally starts to manifest in another domain. Then it starts to be free, because previously it was imprisoned in the world of senses, which is what we experience on a daily basis. We are continually assaulted, continually conditioned by sensory perceptions, thus we need to meditate in order to have those moments of liberation of thinking. In other words, the I - not anymore the ancient spirit propelled by the memories of the spiritual world - has to form as a spiritual entity in the world, and it starts from the lowest level - the sensory world - in which its self-consciousness awakens. However, it has to realize that the sensory world comes to it through an inner experience of which it has to become conscious. If it does become conscious, then it ranks up. The first step is indeed the step of free thinking, of thinking that sets itself free. That’s when the I begins to live its free being.

This is not our invention. In fact, the spirit is free in the physical world, but it doesn’t realize it. It only realizes it when man finally accomplishes an act that expresses the spirit, because he’s free, because he has initiative. But look what a great detour the I had to take. Because if this I had followed the ancient religious world, the mystical world, let’s say the spiritual world, it would never have had the possibility of a free act. Who gave man the possibility of a free act? Ahriman! Because in Ahriman’s sphere, any possible spiritual handhold is over. It’s gone, materialism has begun. And that’s when man has ceased to submit himself to the suggestions of the memory of the spirit. Until that moment, he had lived on nothing else than memories, and - on the esoteric level - on ancient rites, pentacles, Eliphas Levi... whining, moaning, continual jumps back… then came the Masters of Tradition and that was even worse, because then thinking served the revival of all that is ancient, the return to the Middle Ages,.... and those poor guys, they were all grumbling and moaning, criticizing modern man, etcetera, but they actually didn’t know that it’s exactly through that one has to pass in order to rediscover the spirit.

So we can see that, in the sphere of Ahriman, man finally becomes independent from Lucifer. However, woe betide man if he doesn’t realize what has happened. In which case man becomes the prey of Ahriman, that is: from bad to worse. Still, that was the beginning of the possibility for man of a free act. Why free? Because the act is not anymore suggested by Lucifer, but by Ahriman, the one who tells man “Mess everything up! Wreck it!”. And in the beginning our Doctor speaks positively of this turning everything upside down: Stirner, Nietzsche, Haeckel, the positive element he found in all that evolutionary enquiry is: it’s an act of freedom. And that’s how we come to Goethe. Goethe is great because he's free. He is a scientist and he is a poet. He doesn’t follow the traditional frameworks of science.

So you see, the way is long, but we are getting there. With the Ahrimanic act, human freedom begins. I would say, that was an act of courage of a lower type, nonetheless it's an important courage, because man started to be the examiner of his own inner position. And here comes the Philosophy of Freedom. The Philosophy of Freedom begins exactly at that level, there are no discontinuities, no transcendences. It starts exactly from that Ahrimanic level, and then you see how we ascend. That's how thinking has been set free. Yes… and this is only the very beginning.

But for now, we can see how we are susceptible to deception, for instance in nuclear inquiry. In nuclear inquiry, at some point they have said no to atoms, not to fall back into Greek atomism, that is, limited by an indivisible entity, a sort of minuscule being that is no longer separable. And so they have established the “elementary particles”, in doing so revealing a limitation of thinking, because they have changed the terminology, but the atom is still there, waiting for them to understand what it is. They still don’t know it.

The day they realize the atom is an ideal entity, a thought-out entity, in the same way that you think out the vital force of a plant... And when you do that you are not going outside of scientific rationalism, because that vital force of a plant is deduced when we observe the daily transformations of the plant: the seed, the germ, the stem, the bud, the flower, etcetera. We deduce the plant’s vital force. In the same way, we deduce the atom. But is it possible to operate on a deduction? Heck no. Therein lies the rub, because they don’t realize the atom is an etheric entity. We can say that it's an etheric entity. Naturally, it’s an etheric entity that stands close to the physical, as you can intuit when you look at a crystal. The crystal is that physical entity whose etheric body really is the negative-positive, it envelops the physical crystal, it keeps it within the activity. In the plant however, this etheric element is not there in the same way, to be incarnated, but when it does incarnate it’s an imprisoned ether, whilst in crystals it is free. This is why, from a hierarchical perspective, the spiritual entity of a crystal is higher than the one of a plant.

Everything that incarnates falls asleep, decades, down to the animal. The animal is an incarnation of forces. Man is an incarnation of forces, and the heaviest level of falling into sleep lives in man, which is the most physicalized being. The animal is less physicalized than man, because the I stands higher. This is why the I, in order to be able to freely operate in man’s head, needs a calcareous concretion, which is found by the epiphysis, in the pineal gland. If that wasn’t there, the I wouldn’t have any chance of freedom in the head, because that is the only spot in which the I is not forced to incarnate - really a minuscule spot. Where is it not forced to incarnate? Where man is able to liberate thinking from the cerebral organ in the head. Then the I finally manifests its I-ty, so to say. Maybe… in German: “Ichheit”, here we have it - it means its “egoity”, but this word doesn’t render the meaning. It’s the freedom of the I, because it finally has an entity that doesn’t force incarnation. Where it incarnates, it goes to sleep. We are awake, because we push the etheric away from the head. We fall asleep because at a certain point, tired, we finally abandon ourselves and the etheric forces of the head regain possession of the brain, and we fall into sleep. What is thinking that sets itself free? It is thinking that begins to live in the etheric sphere without falling asleep. Hence the dynamics of the etheric. If you think about it, we have been saying these things for 40 years, and it’s always the same thing. Still, you see how, in a way, it’s always new. It's an experience that we need to revise every day.

Now, we have to understand that, when they say “we have discovered the antiproton”, they don't realize it is a concept. They do the chemistry of concepts, they take a concept, they unite it with another concept… and what’s the result? Experience is the result! It’s like a child when it discovers that potassium chloride and carbon make a bang. Yes there’s a bang, but the child doesn’t know why. Their ability lies in the fact that from nuclear inquiry they derive instruments to generate energy, and that’s great. However, they still don’t know what they are working on, because they ignore the etheric forces. If we don’t finally come to the understanding, to the hypothesis of these forces, you see, we really are in trouble, because this is applicable to everything, to all science, to psychology… How can we do psychology without understanding that the whole basis of willing feeling and thinking happens in the etheric sphere, it needs the etheric body? And it’s the same thing for economics. Economics, by the way, is an utterly difficult spiritual science that requires a subtle thinking, really etherized up to the highest intuition. The possibility to lead an economic organism can only come from thinking that has reached higher than the etheric sphere, that is, the sphere of inspiration and intuition. These are the beings who have created the wealth of the nations, their prosperity, free from the risk of inflation, at a time when there were still residual spiritual forces coming from the past. These were beings who had received the task of helping the nations. They have been the great founders of various movements.

But the enemy of humanity wants to destroy these creators of economic welfare. He wants to destroy the leading minds, the minds who intuit the economic realities. Materialism has been preparing the situation so that today whoever is in charge is immediately under indictment. It's as if we put the commander of a ship under indictment, saying: “You are the one in charge, you are the boss, you give orders, get out of here!” and so the ship will sink, because it's necessary that someone is appointed at the highest level of responsibility. Look at what happens today, someone should have the courage to defend the role of the boss, because that is the I. If nobody is able to take initiative, things will get worse and worse, and economic troubles are to be expected at the scale of humanity.

Let’s move on to the questions about darkness and the rainbow. Have you ever seen darkness? Do you see blackness at night? Have you heard of those expressions about cutting darkness with a blade? If darkness didn’t exist, we wouldn’t see it. Darkness does exist. It is inverted light. When we see darkness, we have the spiritual experience of the presence of Ahriman. It is the kingdom of Ahriman, that is, darkness coagulated. In other words, inverted light, coagulated light is matter. But see how this physical matter behaves well, surrounded as it is by etheric forces, that are ready to any operations decided by man. But man doesn’t decide anything, man consecrates darkness, consecrates matter.

We have to realize what darkness is. Darkness logically follows from the fact that we see things through the physical senses. And we believe that the things are physical, despite the fact that they present themselves to us through inner acts of ours. Darkness is illuminated by light. There is a continuous relationship between darkness, the physical things, and light, whence forms and colors are born. These are not born out of themselves, they are born because man looks at them. Man looks at them, and operates in the act of looking. True darkness is possible where the sun stops shining through the atmosphere. The atmosphere is a sort of very delicate fabric, within which spiritual light shows, becomes sensory, for example when it meets a body. It’s the same relation that exists between invisible light and what is tangible, because the atmosphere is already a corporeality, a very subtle corporeality met by sunlight. Where this very subtle corporeality ceases to exist - at about 500 km height - that’s the beginning of the kingdom of darkness.

But why do we see darkness? Because we look with eyes that are used to the hypnosis of physical matter, that is, Ahrimanic hypnosis. It’s the perpetual error that we incur because of insufficient awareness of our perceptual act. Every form, every color, is born from the fact that we meet the physical world with our astral and etheric forces. That’s why matter rises up for us as form and light, as we have often said. I will repeat what I have said many times. What do we see, when for example, we look at a block of marble? What we perceive of it is form, light, colors. Therefore we think that, inside, there is a matter that is true marble. And so, if we break the block, we think that we would then look at a smaller piece that was previously inside the block. But it’s always the same marble. One would say: "No, this one is another piece, more on the inside of the block". We can break that piece too into smaller ones. Then, when we arrive at a small grain of marble, we start to ask: “What are we doing here?” Because that minimal grain is the atom of the Greeks. And here’s where science is afraid to say that the atom is indivisible.

But we know that matter - let’s see if Francesco comes to us now with the copies of the [---] book - indeed, matter does not exist. It only exists by virtue of our perception, that makes it flow, it makes it persist. We are locked inside our sense organs, inside our nervous system. If someone from a world where all physical reality is effete had to come to Earth, he would say “What a bunch of chumps”. He would be going through walls and say: “Look how they bump into the walls!”. He wouldn't suffer from the terrible prison of the nervous system. This prison is terrible because man makes it real by codifying it as science. A science that is entirely veridical, but is veridical on the ground of the existence of this demon of matter, who wants to make it appear as real. And we are here in order to do this work of dissolution of darkness. This dissolution happens continually in us. When we see darkness and feel fear, that fear is very true. It’s the kingdom of Ahriman presenting itself to us and saying “Here I am, this is my world. And you are of this world.”

Darkness is worrying, because it’s an illusion. Darkness is when we can’t see light. Where is light? Light is in thinking. The primordial light that lights up in man is the light of thinking. But it manifests as reflected light. And how do we obtain the primordial life of this light? By tracking it back from its reflection. That’s how the rainbow is explained, because in the rainbow we have the primordial phenomenon of etheric light through the most spiritualized physical means possible. So, from a material viewpoint the rainbow is nothing. We see the rainbow, it’s a marvelous thing, but if we tried to measure it on the spot with some equipment we wouldn’t find anything, because the rainbow has no physical existence, it’s an inner impression, it's etheric. That’s why it’s important to understand the lyrism of the rainbow. Our Doctor says that the aurora and the rainbow are a grand analogy of the birth of thinking, as light. What is the aurora? It’s the end of darkness. once thinking is born, the darkness of the human mind ends, this powerful darkness that creates its own culture. The phenomenon of aurora is magnificent, because it’s the symbol of the rebirth of light, that is, thinking that sets itself free, and it's the same for the rainbow.

There are two questions asking to reconsider the relationship between thinking, feeling and willing. “Thinking, feeling, willing - When is it that thinking is truly born again as light? When is it not anymore reflected thought?
It’s when thinking finds harmony with feeling and willing. The symbol of this harmony is the equilateral triangle, on which the Rosicrucians meditate. Man starts to be born again as a spiritual being when the accord between thinking, feeling and willing begins to form, which is when the etheric operation of thinking starts to become an instrument of the most secret life of the soul, because the astral body of man is a divine fabric, in which the original elements in thinking, feeling and willing lie dormant, and encapsulate the primordial divine power.

All this is latent. Through the deep sleep of this astral body, the astral forces become the instrument of darkness, instrument of the worst egoism in man. Egoism doesn’t actually reside in the etheric body, but in the astral. The astral body will never reconnect with its divine substance without the liberation of thinking, which is the tracing back from reflected light to pure light, to living light. Only once this operation is completed, the profound forces of the astral body start to find harmony. The astral body is the synthesis of the thinking, feeling and willing of the hierarchies, it is a fabric of divine Love. And through this dormant, darkened fabric of divine Love, we accomplish the most terrible acts. This is the human paradox, that explains why humanity needs pain, suffering and sacrifice, and a rigorous and heroic discipline, in order to recover the most precious element in the intimate fabric of its inner life, which is the astral body, as instrument of divine Love that gains the power of freedom through the act of free thinking. In this way, finally one day, man will be capable of love without the constriction of any impulses, but only out of will, in accordance with Logos. That will be the resurrection of divine Love on Earth.

[1] Thanks to Piero Cammerinesi for making this recording freely available to the public at Libero Pensare.
Federica

Post by Federica »

This time I'm reporting a lecture given on Easter Eve 1978 [1]. The outline of the topics:

- The usefulness of egoism
- Pure being as synthesis of all philosophical influences
- Hegel dialectically intuited pure being
- Our fear of the I
- Lucifer and Ahriman in spring
- The meaning of the yearly festivals

Rome, March 22, 1978

[Reading a question] “I am often under the impression that the spiritual exercises are like a simple exchange, they are done in order to have something in exchange. Is there any non-egoistic force to do the spiritual exercises?
This is similar to the one who didn’t want to enter the water since he didn't yet know how to swim, and so he was never giving himself a chance to learn. It’s inevitable to start with an egoistic attitude. If we want to be beyond egoism before we start doing the exercises, we will never progress, because the exercises are given to us precisely to overcome egoism. However, the question is interesting, and here we have to repeat an old concept - old, but also new every time: if this egoism wasn’t there we would be in big trouble. We have to look after it, because inside the egoism there is the jewel of the I. So we don’t want to run the risk of adopting the attitudes of those who want to be without ego, thus they want to prematurely drown in the universal. They want to be one with Brahman, to annihilate themselves, in order to overcome the ego. This, as an attitude, is romantic-sufic. Here we need to not only be Anthroposophists, but also go beyond Sufism. In this sense, in order to properly do the exercise of concentration, a certain level of grit, or drive, is necessary, and we are in trouble if we don’t have ego then, because without ego there is no grit.

Here we have the opportunity to learn a rule from Spiritual Science, that is, from Rudolf Steiner. It says: “On the physical plane, the ego is a mistake. It begins to become the most important and purest power at the etheric level”. When we do thinking exercises, in fact we are exercising the will, because there is no real thought that does not require to be willed. No true thought is separate from will. Only the random thoughts that traverse our mind are unwilled. Unfortunately there are too many of them, so that we mostly don’t think, we usually think someone else’s thoughts, or we think about what others have convinced us of, or about what we have learned in some book. Thinking is only devoid of will to the extent that we are unfree, in which case thinking is dead, we miss it completely. The gods have bestowed us with this powerful gift and we give it up, we think someone else’s thoughts, we learn history from the newspapers. Every time I see someone reading the newspaper with great interest, these words come to mind: “We are perishing!”, because there’s a lack of independent thinking. True thinking is first-person thinking, and we have to want it egotistically. As soon as we want it, thinking starts to recover its seat, that is, the etheric body (this is another teaching from our Doctor). As soon as the ego starts to move within the etheric sphere, the ego becomes a force! We need to care for this ego! We are in trouble if we give in to the temptation of saying: “I am probably aiming for too much strength in thinking...” We don’t have to be afraid of having strength! Never think so! The more strength we have, the better, and the more helpful we can be to our neighbors. If we want to be brotherly helpers, we have to have enough strength for ourselves, and then double the strength, to give to others. Now, it’s impossible to start off with perfect purity. I have never believed in that purity. One starts off with a sort of grit. And that grit is blessed, even if it's egoistic. Indeed, a strong man is one who, out of his own strength, makes something humble, modest, resigned, meek, and is even able to be made fun of without reacting. That's how greatness manifests. This is the result of authentic strength, and we have to understand that the strong one is the one who starts from egoism, and then comes to dominate the egoistic aspect, precisely because he has started to operate in a sphere where egoism, physical egoism, loses any sense. When one starts to grasp what the etheric world is, one really understands the foolish drama of fighting on the physical plane.

We have a beautiful example of a being who understood that fully - Saint Francis. He didn’t want to possess anything other than a few clothes… Not that we need to attain that level, because we surely need a home, we need gas to warm it, we need coffee in the morning - we surely need some good coffee in the morning. However, all these circumstances cease to be the drama of life as soon as one starts to feel the power of the etheric Earth. Because the Earth IS etheric, still, we are like dead, we are outside the real world of life. Why do we suffer? Because we don’t live inside our true world, we don't have awareness of the etheric motion. Modern man has lost that awareness, but it can be resurrected as thinking. Let’s see if it’s appropriate to keep elaborating on this question. There are some more questions that come to us.

Now that the I appears in the human sphere, it is necessary to bring back to sleep that part of the astral body prematurely awakened by Lucifer, so that the crucial order can be brought to the etheric realm. How to find the strength for that?
To this, I would add this other question: “As I was meditating metaphysically, I felt in a lobe of my heart the fear of being as Latin, the little brother of the Nordic, hence subordinate, by destiny. Do you think that this is metaphysical and blasphemous?
We have to clarify the reference to metaphysics. The world of metaphysics has not been overcome. Aristotle calls his metaphysics the science of principles, which is the question of any philosophy. Finally, after centuries and centuries, the question of principles has been envisaged by the Master of the new times, in a lecture cycle called “Human thinking and cosmic thinking”. Because the principles of Aristotle are the categories, and categories are the problem of philosophy. But Steiner has solved this problem, because he does not refer to categories, but to zodiacal influences. Whoever is familiar with philosophy notices it immediately, these zodiacal influences are twelve, and are aligned with as many streams of thought - materialism, empiricism, spiritualism, idealism, mysticism, skepticism, etcetera. And there we learn something extraordinary: true thinking, living thinking, is the synthesis of all these streams. Hegel - whom Steiner calls the highest philosopher in the world - intuited this idea dialectically. He starts from what he calls the category, that for us is a synthesis. For him this synthesis becomes a category, but before it becomes a category, it’s an inner perception, a perception of pure being. Pure being is the synthesis of the twelve streams. Whoever is able to realize the synthesis of these twelve streams of thought, comes to the powerful pure being that exists in thinking, that is, the etheric state of being, in which shines the Logos.

But Hegel, as a person, was terribly serious. Recently I came to know something very interesting. Before starting his lectures of logic in Jena, Hegel, in agreement with one of his assistants - Rosenkrantz - had the students do preparatory thinking exercises, so that he could explain “the motion of thinking as a state of being”. He had this intention, but obviously the situation became very complicated, because some students were following him, some other students weren’t. Moreover, among those who were following him, some understood him, and some misunderstood him completely. And we know what happened later. Anyhow, we understand that this pure state of being, is the starting point of our inner work. We perceive pure being as pure thinking. Through the exercise of concentration, we come to experience it, hence we hold the beginning of a certainty of a world that we have only just started discovering. We are at the threshold of a new world that has to come. This is the true revolution, and the only revolution. All that young spiritual seekers are inquiring nowadays - feeling that they have to courageously overcome a world that doesn't work anymore - is nothing else than the anxious expectation of a truly living world. That is the etheric world.

Here please allow me a small aside. The publisher Atanor has prepared a new edition of the book by Wachsmuth: “The Etheric Formative Forces in Cosmos”. It is the photostatic reproduction of a book that is unavailable. This book is fundamental to know the etheric world. Wachsmuth was a student of Steiner, and wrote the book under his supervision, so the value of this work is guaranteed. Now, Atanor is ready for printing, but the book is thick, and printing costs are high. Naturally, if they could print more copies, the cost would decrease. Now they are hesitating, they are considering possible pre-orders. So in case any of you is interested, I would recommend writing them a letter to pre-order a copy, or two, of Wachsmuth’s “The Etheric Formative Forces in Cosmos”. I can tell you, this work can be extremely useful for those who want to go into the depths of the etheric world. I close the aside, with apologies, but the reason is, the book is highly instrumental and useful to our goals.

Let’s now go back to Hegel’s pure being. This pure being is a powerful experience. In the past I have recalled that, in Japan, the Zen Master Nishida Kitaro, who had become professor of philosophy at Tokyo University, discovered Hegel in a living way, in a way that a Westerner can’t experience, because in the hegelian categories of Being, Nothingness and Becoming, Kitaro identified the process of becoming as described in Taoism and in Mahayana Buddhism, as the processes of creation, annihilation, and evolution. Kitaro asked his students to meditate on this pure being. It has to be said that the experience of pure being is one that makes the wrists shake. Rosenkrantz - Hegel’s biographer - having this experience of pure being, found himself facing a world that aroused in him a big fear of that greatness, of the immensity of a world that, nonetheless, exists within man. Without this world, man cannot live! That was Rosenkrantz’s experience.

In a lecture cycle about truthfulness, Steiner speaks of this fear of the I, this fear of being, of pure being. He discovers that we are afraid of the I, we are afraid of being ourselves, of being the whole force that we are deep inside. This force - the Logos - is pressing, from the sources of the Soul. Steiner says, the fear can be overcome by following the true path of thinking, or if one is able to fathom the secret of the Gospels. In either way, one receives an energy that helps one stay strong in the face of the contemplation of the I. Then, we are met by the world that we have evoked in thinking. Here I refer to what we were saying at the beginning, that true thinking has to be willed. We educate the will through thinking. Every time we want a thought of ours, we make our will stronger. That request coming from our will is addressed by the Thrones, who send our way a wavy sea of courage, so that we can continue the experience. We are met by flowing waves of courage that support us, and give us the strength to overcome any fear, heavenly and earthly. This is the experience of the etheric world. This is the experience that Hegel came close to, to some extent, with the concept of pure being. Here I have to quote a verse of a poem by Hegel, paraphrased: “The immensity that the heavens of heavens cannot contain is found in Virgin Mary’s womb”. So, Hegel, who was a pure thinker, the highest philosopher, felt at some point that the spiritual world can only be trodden with the help of divine knowledge, symbolized by Mary, the Virgin Sophia, divine knowledge. Everything is contained in this: sacrifice, sacred love, divine knowledge, divine intelligence. This is the secret. However, you see, when we speak of these things before we have liberated our thinking, all this may sound false, based on blind devotion. Nonetheless, we can guarantee that, starting from absolutely positivist foundations, not at all from fideistic ones, starting from experimental, will-based foundations, once the experience of pure will and pure being is attained, the way forward is indeed a devotional way. As Hegel beautifully intuited: “The immensity that the heavens of heavens cannot contain is found in Virgin Mary’s womb”. We have to deserve to conquer this divine knowledge. We shouldn’t believe that one can be mystically helped, in our times. One has to come to the threshold of the etheric world, and the threshold of the spiritual world, by one’s own forces.

To this I can connect another question by our friend Manlio. Manlio has been with us for a short time, but is very open-minded. “We now have a basic understanding of Lucifer. He is a light bearer. He was allowed to show man a possibility that was evidently foreclosed to our original nature. However the biography of Ahriman is more obscure to me. Is it possible to describe some traits?
This is absolutely appropriate, because in this period of the year both are very active. This is because we are in spring, and also it’s Easter Eve. Right now both are rejoicing, because the Earth is accumulating etheric forces, life forces, that give origin to spring. At this moment, a complete transmutation of power relationships is going on in Nature. These are the Ahrimanic forces - that we can call saline, mineral, calcareous - and the Luciferic forces - that is, spirits of air and light, forces that are found in movement in carbonic acid, that is, in that volatile carbon seized by plants to build up their body. Ahriman, on the one hand, becomes powerful in the saline-calcareous forces. He tries to grasp the corresponding etheric forces, in order to hold man. On the other hand, Lucifer tends to make man into an astral, sulfuric-phosphoric being. This can be found in the imaginations of the seasons. Sulfuric-phosphoric in which sense? Here we have to say - without shocking our friends who know chemistry - that carbonic acid is an abstraction devoid of content, because, in reality, carbonic acid is made by infinitesimal particles of sulfur and phosphorus. And it’s indeed this exaltation of sulfur and phosphorus that becomes, on the one hand, an inner nourishment for man (we will come to that), and is visible in nature on the other hand: one of the signs of this are fireflies. In them, the phosphoric element shines in this period of the year. Lucifer tries to take hold of man in this period, he tends to make man into an astral being who uses life forces to flee everything determined and concrete that Earth has to offer. All this is balanced out by Ahriman, who operates within the saline, mineral element. Through the revitalizing earthly forces of spring, he tends to make man into an etheric being in his likeness.

So every year in spring both have an incredible hope to finally possess man. They throw themselves into this endeavor, and man resists. Whoever has sensitivity for these things, experiences in spring a terribly difficult period, because he senses these forces that would like to annihilate him. This is experienced not only physically, but also through events, situations to which one would react differently, if he didn’t feel the pressure of these annihilating forces. It’s in this moment that man has the opportunity to operate according to the I, hence to endure a suffering from which the I has to rise up, to win over both Lucifer and Ahriman. The I uses the sacrificial forces of man so as to entail a subsequent strengthening of the I. Here we have to say that there’s an entity at the Archangel level - Raphael - who corresponds to Mercury. You know that Mercury is the wing-heeled bearer of the Caduceus. This Caduceus is represented as a stick around which there are two snakes. Our Doctor advises us to imagine one snake white (Lucifer) and the other, black (Ahriman). This is a very important picture, it helps us overcome certain difficulties. We should first imagine the white snake, and then the black one, to neutralize the first. This image provides us with an overcoming force. It means that currently Raphael - the bearer of the Christic healing forces - can leverage all the spring forces in Nature to man’s advantage. In this way, in the victory that man can gain on both Lucifer and Ahriman, a deep therapeutic possibility arises, because man takes in carbonic acid in the same way a plant does. And calcium is great for practically everyone in this period, it presently has healing force. Calcium intake will immediately react to the Ahrimanic element, and the reaction will awaken the forces of the I.

Now we have to remember that in all yearly festivals - Easter, Saint John, Saint Michael, Christmas - man is called to a sacrificial experience, so as to further strengthen himself. This is important to know. During antiquity, this was the meaning of the celebrations as well. Today we have trivialized their meaning. We have made them bourgeois celebrations. Worse, we have made them into revelries - the dinner, the binge, the egg, the cold cuts, the entertainment, and the presents. On the contrary, these are beautifully aristocratic operations, if we give this word its true meaning. Aristocrates can be the humblest man on Earth, because he lives with the superior forces of the Spirit. Aristocrates is the helper of man. In this way, man connects with all that is truly helpful for humanity. Indeed, this is the true meaning of Easter, and even if we don’t know the Gospels and the Christ events, even if we are Muslims, we live through the Passion, because it reflects a grand event of Nature, an evil attack against man. And man fights back, through the I - an I that already comprises the Logos. Therefore, it’s important that man is awake, and recognizes the sense of overcoming the attacks of Lucifer and Ahriman, because Ahriman and Lucifer, once defeated, become cooperators of man. They are compelled to, they want to be defeated.

Now, Ahriman’s character is to propose a Cosmos without feeling. That’s easy. As soon as feeling is killed, one becomes cold, and even cheerful, because one doesn’t care about anyone any longer. One sees people like stones. Notice, the strength of many people who are able to accomplish extremely lucid, destructive acts, resides in that: they are helped by Ahrimanic powers that fortify the person, they give him everything, to the extent that he is able to annihilate feeling. But this is the end of man, because feeling is like the vigorous power of man. To cancel feeling is the same as achieving chastity by castration. That would not even be effective, because the instincts would remain, only the possibility to satisfy them would be foreclosed, in the absence of the instrument. Now, to kill feeling means to kill the highest power of the soul, because in feeling we have that which flows into man’s median seat coming from the first, the highest hierarchy. Therefore, the first relationship man can have with the Logos takes place in the median seat, through feeling. In this sense, feeling plays the role of mediator between thinking and will. From the beginning, we have said that thinking has to be willed. This willed thinking is the principle of force, and feeling is the secret relationship between thinking and will. As soon as we tune thinking with will, we are already resurrecting a new way of feeling. It will timidly appear at first, but if we persist in the work, this new way of feeling will flourish, until it will fully reveal itself. That’s when the hegelian image we have previously discussed becomes relevant: when man has elevated himself to the heavens, through thinking, the only way to go further is to absorb a new force, the force of Love. But let me clarify for the new friends who are with us today: this Love is not sentimental love. We can only fathom this Love if we contemplate the picture of the first hierarchy, consisting of the Seraphim, the Cherubim and the Thrones. The Thrones are the Spirits of Will. We earlier referred to them as powerful beings, only structured by will and courage, who serve the Cherubim, Spirits of Harmony. In their turn, the Cherubim report to even higher beings, the Seraphim, Spirits of Love. So this Love has nothing to do with romantic, sentimental, cinematic, literary love. Love as force of creation is the Love intuited by Dante, who closed the third Canto of Paradise with the words “Love that moves the sun and the other stars”, that is, Love as the power of creation. Now, this power of Love flows through man's heart. But in order to come to the heart, the barrier of the brain has to be overcome, hence the relevance of willed thinking. In these days - and here we have to conclude - we can say that our whole struggle - our bitter struggle - is to overcome through sacrifice that barrier that separates us from the gift of Logos. For us, this equals the same wondrous content as the events of Golgotha, that is, overcoming death for a new resurrection.

[1] Thanks to Piero Cammerinesi for making this recording freely available to the public at Libero Pensare.
Federica

Post by Federica »

In this lecture [1], I found the description of the link between brain and thinking activity very clarifying. Scaligero’s words have a particularly vivid, inspired quality all throughout the hour. The main topics:

- Difference between social and political impulse. Tripartition.
- Elemental beings
- Active currents of brain activity
- The meaning of the Immaculate Conception: Eve, the Virgin Mary, Isis Sophia

Rome, December 20, 1978

[Reading a question] "The book Thinking as anti-matter wishes for the creation of a cultural organism independent of the authority of the state and of all politics, so as to realize the ideal autonomy in which its creation is grounded. I want to ask: is the word “politics” a contradiction in terms with the common expression of social organization? Can we conceive of a human society devoid of political aspects?
Yes, we certainly need to first clarify the linguistic ambiguity in this expression. Because many call politics that which is social. Politics belongs to certain forces that haven’t the monopole of all that is social (it would be beneficial if they knew what social means) and the social element is often dominated by the political element. Everyone feather their own nest.
In any case, in the old Indian civilization, for example, in the old Iranian civilization - with millenniums of peace - in the old Chinese civilization, and in the old Greek polis, politics didn’t exist. Later the word emerged, it became necessary. It acquired the meaning of ‘activity that needs to be elaborated by groups or by individuals', because social inspiration had come to an end. The systems that we find during those five millenniums in Iran, in India, and in a series of marvelous orders that were really the exaltation of those times, were sustained by an inner order fostered by beings who were qualified to direct a society. In those epochs, there really was a choice, but late all that got progressively lost. The last orders were Greece and Rome, but there arose formidable fights. Politics was not yet in existence, but it was the beginning of it.

This is what politics means: the end of the possibility of spiritual inspiration to support the activity of collectives, that is, social activity, hence the necessity to harmonize the individual streams. It’s the beginning of individualism, in other words the beginning of the inability to have a superior spiritual direction, hence the necessity to start elaborating it on the lower plane, which is especially true after the persecution of the Templars. With Philip IV of France, the deconsecrated king, the series of kings vested with higher powers comes to an end, and it begins the series of the political kings. The same can be said of the Pope, it’s the beginning of the politics of the Pope. There starts a fight that progressively shapes something that has not anymore to do with the prosperity of collectives, but with the power of certain groups, that can also be military or religious groups. In the end, these groups would appear as political parties. In Italy we had a figure who understood that, who wrote a book called “Politics first”, which is the same as to say “Medical theory first, healing the sick second”. Not true at all, because the sick person wants to be healed based on what he suffers from, not based on medical theories. And this is the tragedy we are living through, when politics influence the economic system and spoil it, because the economic system has its laws; when politics influence the legal system, but the judge influenced by political orientation is not fair anymore; when politics intervene in the cultural sphere, and so recognition is given based on political allegiance, not based on merit - to say all this in really scrappy language.

So the real solution to this problem comes from the tripartition of the social organism - the tripartition of our Doctor. I will say it with the title of a book: the epoch of politics has ended. Politics is a monster, that nothing has to do with the social, the economic, or the spiritual aspects. Nonetheless - to hamper the possibility that a social order is established to finally help man - politics penetrate everywhere with inhumane power, so there’s no movement that is not politicized: it's "La politique d'abord", politics first. But the epoch of politics has indeed ended. Lower individualism has now accomplished its task. Today there is a need for an order that doesn’t come any longer from political abstractions, from instinctual streams, from forces that are clearly not spiritual, but Luciferic and Ahrimanic - from instinctual forces that federate certain people within certain political parties according to the lower instincts that unite them. Some people may also enter political parties based on opportunity, as a way to work out their career, and that’s where the sham games begin. This is the reason why, by this time, we have ended up in such a dramatic situation everywhere in the world: there is no economy that really is …economic, since there are always political powers that intervene in the economy. To some extent, Germany, after the end of WWII, could use a certain level of economic liberalism, because nobody was overseeing it on that plane, since reconstruction was the priority. Germany was all rubble. In two years, they not only fully recovered, but also started to offer their goods and services. Something incredible, something miraculous happened, but the same could happen anywhere else, to the extent that the economy is not oppressed, repressed, guided, directed by political powers. The day we will allow the sailors from Naples, the merchants from Milan, the shipowners from Genoa, the people from Turin to freely operate, this Italian artisanal economic genius will thrive, and within six months we would overcome inflation. But this is not going to happen, because the monster of politics holds us in its terrible grip.

The reason for this grip is that, in order to dominate humanity, Ahriman needs to spoil the economy, because when the economy is spoiled everyone is forced to work. Not even the housewife can stay home, she has to have the kids taken care of and rush to work, because otherwise the salary is not enough for the family. It’s an endless rush. Someone has even told me, about a booklet that one can normally read very fast: “I cannot read it in the evening, because I can't resist sleepiness”. This is Ahriman’s attack, through the fragmentation, the politicization of the economy. There is a figure who had an epiphany, who understood this game. I don’t want to name him because we absolutely don’t want to do politics here. Nobody should be able to say that we are doing politics. As we said, this should be the end of the political epoch. We are in an epoch in which something social should begin, free from politics. It's as if a sick person in need of urgent treatment was attended by doctors who, instead of considering his real condition, were eager to focus on asserting their medical theories. In the meantime the person dies. In other words, it’s the objective economic situation that has to be considered, not its political interpretation.

Thus, in the book “Thinking as anti-matter” there is a chapter referred to the tripartition of our Doctor, that, you see, is the urgent medicine we need. As I was saying to a friend earlier today, it would take a crazy person, with the political power in his hands, who would be crazy enough not to use it, and to realize the tripartition. I would even say - sorry if it’s a sort of paradox - but someone like Fidel Castro, who can do whatever he wants, if he seized the tripartition, despite the current situation he has dragged his people into, he could sow a seed of salvation useful to all humanity. Someone like Gaddafi, another lucid madman - however he is a dictator, which is a very ugly thing, dear friends - still, if Gaddafi had the impulse to take tripartition seriously, and realize it, a miracle would happen. I say all this paradoxically, because tripartition only can happen where someone holds the power in their hands, for example in Russia, but Russia is, as a premise, untouchable. To a small extent, we could say that in Israel there is a principle of tripartition, but there too powerful political streams are present. Thus tripartition will thrive when it is experienced with intensity of ideas. It can be elaborated, it can be discussed, everyone has the right to interpret it as one wants, it’s totally fine, even subjectively. By the way, we have among us a scholar of tripartition who is also a friend: Argo Villella, who wrote a book, interesting as an introduction to it. Unfortunately he is not with us today, but we will soon have him with us. So it's about returning the spiritual impulse to the social forces, whose truth is the spiritual impulse. This is the work we have to do, and when we work on ourselves spiritually, we are already working towards tripartition.

[Reading]“Human destiny and the influence of the elemental beings”. The elemental beings are present everywhere, also here and now, close to us. They are an endless crowd, of all levels and colors. Some of them are very low and serve Ahrimanic entities. Higher up, there are some more independent elemental beings. Further, there are the elemental beings of the natural kingdom, who have a fundamental relationship with us. For instance, the gnomes - the gnomes exist: whoever has the ability to reconstruct the elemental world in himself, and have studied certain works, knows very well that Nature is a structure entirely supported by elemental forces. So the gnomes exist. There are miners who know them. In the Nordic countries, there are still some who are able to see the gnomes. It's the same for the other elemental beings. The gnomes, for instance, are within the Ahrimanic sphere, but they aren’t Ahrimanic beings. They are like imprisoned, forced to serve as guardians of the kingdom of metals, of the most essential minerality existing on Earth. There are also elemental beings connected with the human psyche. Those are at the service of Lucifer. Some elemental beings are at a higher level, and serve for example the Angels. These entities evolve by serving the Angels in relation to man. When we gather together and tell bad jokes, for example, those beings who serve the Angels start to move away, rather disappointed and helpless, while the elemental beings at the service of Ahriman and Lucifer begin to dance. If we were to add backbiting or dirty political discussions to the jokes, they would dance all around even more and they would compete to inspire grossness, and all sorts of bad things, down to anger and violent reactions. When one has a tantrum, it's because one of these beings has stepped inside him and has excited the anger. The person may say harsh words, then the being leaves him, and he is left disgusted by what he himself has said and done.

We have a continual relationship with the elemental beings, and we have a big responsibility towards them, because they are at our service. For example, there are the elemental beings linked to electricity. They have fallen down to a low level, to serve man as electrical servants. ENEL [the national electricity provider] doesn’t know that [laughs]. How should humanity respond to this service offered by the elemental beings? By using electricity spiritually. All that is electrical energy should serve spiritual purposes. But go find someone who really does that! Everyone today uses electricity to do their own thing as they please, to enjoy life egoistically. That means that these elemental beings are accumulating an anti-human power, aroused by humanity itself. In other words, there is a worsening of their evolution. As a consequence - our Doctor says - in the future evolution of the Earth, these beings will incarnate as frightening spider creatures, in between the plant and the animal kingdoms. See, one must have had the impression of a plant that looks almost like an animal, to feel a sense of horror. One day I had that experience, I saw a plant that was moving... It was actually a green lizard moving on the plant. But the moment I had the impression of seeing a moving plant, I felt a sense of horror. Then it immediately disappeared, when I saw it was a lizard, and it ran away.

Now these elemental beings also live in magnetism, and are connected with nuclear energy as well. At a higher level, they work around the plants. Some of them are marvelous, up to the sylphs, and to entities of light. When we are in contact with Nature we feel a magnificent life coming from these beings. This is the etheric world. The etheric world is not an abstract world of mechanical forces. We have a hard time conceiving anything that is not mechanical. When we speak of the etheric world, we don’t have to imagine an enormous etheric mechanism, no. They are beings, like thoughts are beings, like feelings are beings. They are all beings, and we are in continuous relationship with these beings. When we have trivial thoughts, it’s because we are in a relationship with beings who encourage triviality. When we start to liberate thinking, we have to fight, because so far we have been associated with vampiric, degrading thoughts that don’t leave us easily. Hence concentration is difficult.

Therefore it’s important to understand that the whole world around us moves depending on whether we insert free creations in thinking, feeling, and will. If we only mechanically repeat what is already there, we are already outside of these forces. So it's important to grasp the elemental world of Nature, and to have a perceptual relationship with all that is absolutely pure in Nature. Even a wet stone, a creek, the vapors rising from a meadow after the rain, and then the rainbow, and the oozing trees. Everywhere there's symbolism of the purest creative forces of Nature, that are related to that which is rhythmic in man. If man closes himself to these forces, he can’t be a creator, he can’t be a poet, he can’t understand the social element. Otherwise the social element becomes abstract, and abstraction is Ahrimanic. Today it’s really difficult to get out of this abstraction. When we speak of entities of Nature manifesting as power of rhythm, the same thing is applicable to the social element. Social means brotherly, and how could we conceive brotherhood arbitrarily, based on paperwork, based on political motions? That is not social, that’s Ahrimanic. The social element is a living etheric power that connects soul to soul, being to being. That is the real cohesion, not the abstract political parties. So, we are continually connected with the elemental world. Our destiny depends also on that, because if we continually charge many elemental beings with lower influences coming from us, those will turn against ourselves. Some beings received the continuous miracle of salvation of Pentecost, and the higher elemental beings love them. They gather around these pure, altruistic beings. They are ready to serve him, even in the smallest things, in warding off certain misfortunes, because they have the capacity to intervene. Unfortunately our school system prompts us to judge all these things as pure fantasy, but the etheric world is real. The etheric world is the power behind the physical, there is no physical reality without the etheric. Thus, man will have to reconnect with the elemental world, if we wants to reconnect with reality. Otherwise reality will elude us. We will hold an abstract reality, catastrophic at all levels.

Dear Massimo, how can abstract thought reconnect with life? If it’s abstract, it will be difficult to rediscover life”.
Yes, but abstract thinking had the function - that we know - of making the human psyche independent from dogma, from sentimentalism. Abstract thinking, as logical-mathematical thought, had indeed the function of giving man full independence from ancient inner life. That was the first step of free thinking. However, the first abstract thinking was not entirely abstract. In Galileo, it manifested abstractly, but at its origin there was the power of life. Later, thought became fully abstract, until the present day. But the plan was for the true life of thinking to be resumed already a long time ago. Once liberated from the mystical and mythical psyche, thinking was meant to recover its space of freedom. This has not happened, but it's exactly what we intend to do, because the exercise of concentration moves from abstract thought. So let’s describe this exercise again.

To start with, this exercise has an exceptional intention, because we usually think about things that are imposed on us from outside - even if we study a great text to pass an exam. It never happens that we decide that we want to think a certain thought. With this exercise, we do precisely that. In this way, we already reverse the standard inner situation in which thinking is made into the instrument of the body. In truth, thinking comes from the spirit and manifests through the bodily organ that is the most suitable for this function - the cerebral organ. But because the cerebral organ is dominated by various bodily currents, it so happens that these currents - that are instinctive - enslave thinking.

We should remember that in the cerebral organ there are three orders of force: the metabolic one, that is, the exchange function; the rhythmic one, that is, the blood-related and breath-related one, which is united with the first, to constitute the rhythmic-metabolic force; and lastly the purely nervous one, the most noble part of the brain. The latter should be the support of thinking. Thinking should come from the spiritual world, disconnected from the physical body. It should be expressed through this purely nervous part of the brain, and control the other parts. But this never happens. The opposite happens: the psychic currents affirm themselves in the brain through the rhythmic-metabolic part and dominate the purely nervous part, which man should think with. So the sick person thinks the thoughts according to the illness, not according to thinking. This is the problem in all situations, in the face of physical illness, psychic illness, and also in case of the thinking mistakes of political or social character. Someone who functions according to continuous impulses of hatred will immediately accept a type of thoughts dominated by the instinctive, rhythmic-metabolic current of hatred. Hence nobody thinks according to thinking! This is another aspect of the tragedy we are speaking of. When we said that, in the past, there were marvelous spiritual social orders, these didn't manifest through the brain, but through inspirations. This inspiration cannot be rediscovered if man doesn’t control that part of the brain that for the time being conditions thinking completely. To conquer that inspiration again, we really need to do a formidable work of logic of cerebral thinking, that is we need to own the true thinking that we ourselves think, that originates in our own will. In this way, we finally use that part of the brain that is hierarchically superior to the rhythmic-metabolic one. This is possible if one is very well trained in the exercise of concentration. One can also have a real impact on illness, whenever one - in addition to having liberated his thinking - has control on the purely nervous support that in turn dominates the rhythmic-metabolic part. You can see that the current pathologic situation is inverted. I am speaking of exceptional abilities, of course, nonetheless the way is this one.

Now, liberated thinking not only has the task to reconnect with its true support, that is with the purely nervous part of the brain, let’s call it like so, free from the emotional-instinctive current, that is, free from the rhythmic-metabolic part of the brain. It’s not only that. It’s equally necessary to develop the experience of thinking absolutely free from the cerebral organ. For this reason it is necessary to connect pure thinking with the most powerful current that man has within, which is independent from the body, and this is the current of Will. I don’t remember if it was last Wednesday or last Saturday that we discussed exactly that. We have a will that is active all over the body, as the true inner vital force of man. However, in motor will, the current of will does not pass through the torse, for example. It doesn’t pass through the spinal cord, not through the head either. In the head, a representation is kindled that appeals to forces going to the limbs directly from the universe, we can say that.

This is really something we need to discover. As a discovery, it will happen in several centuries and will have a decisive impact on everything. In the motor will, we have at our disposal the highest forces of the universe. We have them do what we want, and they obey us. Of course, we remain accountable for the results. What happens is, pure thinking - that is the experience of abstract thinking finally and consciously brought outside of the cerebral organ - becomes charged by that living current of Will that, as we said, is not at all connected with the physical body. This is in the end a different polar opposite compared to thinking. We can even say, it’s the antithesis of thinking, which is reconciled with thinking, it meets thinking in the head. This is the most important experience for the one who practices the ascesis of thought, because he feels this current of Will, and he relies on it, because it fills life, it fills life with meaning, it gives him certainty, it gives him sanity, and healing.

Do you know where this is said? In the Philosophy of Freedom, but don’t search it there now. Train your thinking first. Try to do an intense exercise of thinking, then read again PoF, where our Doctor speaks of the moral impulses, that are the current of Will met by thinking once thinking liberates itself from the cerebral organ. Finally, a right thought has force of action like the instincts have. For now, we are capable of great enthusiasm for all that is instinctive. We are able to overcome obstacles, to accomplish impressive things. But how? What pushes us? An instinctual force. Cold thinking has never been able to move anything. In that instinct live not only the Ahrimanic impulse, but also the Luciferic one, the impulse of enthusiasm. We do need that enthusiasm, in order to accomplish important things, however we are enslaved to that Luciferic order of forces, that gives us enthusiasm, but also holds us: we are not free. Whilst in the higher experience of thinking, we draw from the current of Will an impulse to action that has a superior power compared to the instinctual current. Our Doctor calls it the moral impulse. This adjective is already reductive, but there are no other words.

We love this impulse because we finally have an inner content in thinking, and the current of will comes to encounter us and becomes the power of action upon that content. In this way, we can accomplish really creative actions with the same enthusiasm that the laymen draws from instincts. We find an example of that in Mother Teresa of Calcutta, whom I have often mentioned. Not that she has this conscious impulse. She has it unconsciously. However, you see, there is the idea that Christ is in everyone, therefore every being is Christ, and the more one suffers, the more Christ is there. This idea becomes in her a power of action that gives her the ability to hug the leprous, to kiss them, not to fear any contagion. That astounded the Buddhists. They realized that in centuries they hadn't been able to develop a similar force. What is this force of Will that meets pure thinking? It’s the Logos. We have said that the highest forces of the universe move our arms and legs, but we have not the least idea of how to encounter these forces that move our limbs. We can give them orders, they are like Angels who obey us. With an arm I can stab someone, or with a hand I can give someone a caress and heal a headache. It's the same force, and we are responsible for it. We can encounter this force in thinking when we are able to live it with conscious intention.

We have here this question by Beniamino about sociality. Speaking of sociality we need to understand that there is no sociality without this etheric current, because people are isolated, they don’t know each other, they don’t have contact with each other anymore, other than through egoistic and subjective sentimentalism. True brotherhood starts when we begin to have etheric experience. This experience has to be established, but a knowledge of etheric reality is necessary.

And now, over to this question by our ultra powerful Walter - must be a relative of Walter Scott: “How to prepare for the critical age - critical age what? - in relation to the Immaculate Conception and to the compenetration of the ego by the I of Christ and His words on the Cross, when He tells John: ‘Here is your mother’?
But what does this have to do with the critical age? This is applicable to any age. The critical age does not exist, although they say it exists. So, Immaculate Conception. Here I will recall the illustration by our Doctor. Immaculate Conception is Eve. In Eden, the relationship between Eve and Adam was very pure. There was no Eros, no desire. We can say that sex was unconscious. We have a good digestion when we are unconscious of our stomach. When we don't feel anything, our metabolism is perfect. The same was true for these two symbolic beings. Eve was a being capable of conception without sin. The sin was introduced by Lucifer, who said “You have to feel what happens, you will discover a whole new world”, and so they realized that they were naked. Previously they hadn't noticed it. We only have four minutes, but let’s say this. The figure of Eve disappears in the myth through the tragedy of the Fall. However we see this being reappear, when she says “Ecce ancilla domini”. She says that herself, after the apparition of the Angel. She represents Eve who comes back as the human archetype, because every woman is Eve. And every mother who gives birth to a child truly welcomes in herself the mystery of the Holy Spirit.

We find this in the figure of the Virgin Mary, She gives birth to the one who incarnates the Lord, the Savior of the world. This is realized by every woman who is a mother, if she comes to understand what the child is in the first three years, because in the child in the first three years there is Christ, the Savior of the world. Hence, everything that the Immaculate Conception is has penetrated the human. The human error is not to be aware of that, not to realize that, but those who follow Spiritual Science, really have a chance to translate the power of this image into reality, the image of the immaculate mother, who opens the doors to the being who saves the world. This is the most mysterious image, the most beautiful, also the most moving and, for this same reasons, hermetically sealed to everything merely intellectual. Here we have to do a work of rediscovery of Isis Sophia, so as to become worthy of understanding this mystery. This is the way of the Graal. We have already spoken too much about the way of the Graal. Some of us pursue this way with a certain purity and with true devotion. Nonetheless, this can only be realized through elevation to the highest mystery of man, whose symbol is indeed the Immaculate Conception, in other words, the generation of the I, and with it, the penetration of the Holy Spirit and the opening given by the birth of a being to the presence of Christ on Earth.

Federica

Post by Federica »

This lecture [1] precedes the one posted above by a few days. The topics:

- The object of concentration
- The spiritual meaning of work
- Coldness and warmth
- Motor will
- The Rosicrucian way and Christic Realism

Rome, December 16, 1978

The object of concentration should be only evoked, it should not be perceived at the same time. To perceive the object during the exercise would be a mistake. The question refers to the Practical Manual of Meditation, chapter on concentration, and asks this: “Is it maybe that we should avoid perceiving the sensible image of the object?
Right, this should probably be clarified in a second edition of the book. It simply means that when we do the exercise of concentration, the object must not be there; we have to evoke it. That’s all. It would be a mistake to see for example the pin in front of us. Because we don’t want to search what stands etherically behind the pin, but we want to think of the concept of the pin. To this purpose, I have specified that it’s important to only concentrate on made-made objects. Then we really need to do without the object. On the contrary, if we do the same exercise with a physical object, a rose, or a plant, it’s another type of exercise. It is concentration indeed, but also imagination, pure perception, and so on. There is nothing else to say. That is, we have to do the exercise by evoking the object. I have specified that because I happened to discover that some friends had been doing the exercise of concentration for years by putting the button before themselves. No, this is not the exercise. That’s what I was trying to say in that paragraph.

Let’s see, page 100... this too is a quote, it’s from “The Essential Point of the Social Question”, paragraph titled “Capacity to work, will to work, and tripartite social organism”. The quote is: “In the true relationships that will be established among human beings united in a social organism, in which every person of age will rule their rights in relation to every other person of age, there will be the possibility to kindle the will to work for the community”.
This theme is of high importance, because it immediately reminds us that one does not work to earn money. That is the curse, the malediction, that "man will earn his bread by the sweat of his brow". That is, the bread transformed into stone. The stone is mineral, hence the money, meaning he pays for the bread. No. The true meaning of work is that one does it as a sacrifice, but a joyous sacrifice. It means to work for the community, and one has to work for free! How far are we from this today… Anyone who happened to hear what I’m saying right now would say: “This guy is crazy”. Nevertheless, we will have to come to an understanding of this. Even the communist ideal is very far from supposing such liberation from salary, from compensation. It idealizes, it hypothesizes, it dialectizes and so on, but the liberation can’t be effected as long as work is considered a commodity. So, how do we free ourselves from this monstrous misunderstanding? By having a thinking that can distinguish work from the product of work. The product of work can be circulated indeed and it can be very rewarding. With this, we have entered the economic sphere. But work itself belongs to the sphere of spirit. And here I want to quote someone who remains a mysterious, marvelous figure: Maître Philippe. Little has come to us from his work, because he didn’t write much, but some expressions have been handed down. He said the following: “The worker has to sacrifice himself for the organization that hires him. He has to make a sacrifice for the one who gives him work. He has to do all he can, he has to be loyal, he has to give it his all”. This is the true sense of working. He also speaks of the employer, who has to be brotherly, has to help the workers, etcetera.

Who hasn’t noticed that there are workmen who know so well how to execute their craft, that they are capable of working with enthusiasm without asking for any compensation? They do something that really comes from the spirit of offering, or from an act of friendship. They do the work for you with joy, because they know how to do it, they are artists.
But we cannot liberate ourselves from the curse of compensation, without liberating thinking. We can’t reach that level of feeling if we can’t overcome our error inside thinking. The error is inherent in our psycho-physiological structure. Our Doctor has developed this idea and we really need to conquer this result. So for example, if among us there is an attempt to form an organization, there is a real chance to put into practice this marvelous teaching. When was the last time that we did something "non refundable", when everyone does their part, realizing something that can be useful for all? Anyway, this theme has to be put at the center of our study as well, at the center of our ongoing meditation on the social question.

How should the conscientious researcher experiment with the polarities: light/darkness, warm/cold, life/death, in order to reach not only speculative but also practical results?
Light and dark: light is Logos, darkness is matter. Warm and cold: there is cold warmth, and there is warm coldness. True coldness is Ahrimanic. Warmth beyond a certain level is Luciferic. Now, we really have to work very hard in order to grasp that there is no thermicity in the physical world. That we experience thermicity through our physical body, well yes, we are obliged to, because we live within a physical “robot”, and warmth and coldness fight within ourselves. However, these are inner currents, inner currents in which lives the highest force of man. The differentiations cold/warm are nothing else than differentiations of that force. When do we feel Ahrimanic coldness? When the living forces of warmth expressed in the will feel rejected. Then it can happen that the attack of coldness generates a reaction in the will, provided that the physical-etheric body is animated by a healthy blood circulation. In the opposite case, there is no reaction, while in the first case, the attack by coldness calls for a hightened potential of warmth, in a way that stimulates the will. This characterizes the Nordic people, who have to fight coldness, and become more willful in this way. On the contrary, when warmth pampers the organism, one is not motivated to do much. As they say in Naples, “Gentlemen, I have just eaten, so I can’t work”.

This is the nature of the relationship between warmth and coldness. It’s the moment of will in man. How does it manifest? In thinking? No, because thinking is almost always abstract, it's almost always abstractly willed. In feeling? But in our feeling, the will is dominated by a constant subjectivism. So it’s in the sphere of willed intention, that the force of will can be expressed. Most of all, we receive help from motor will, which is the highest force that man has at his disposal. As we know, man has an egoic will only in thinking, and in the purely nervous part of the brain in which thinking realizes itself. Other than that, man doesn't dominate anything, but through thinking representations, he does master the movement of the limbs. This is highly interesting, because in the movement of the limbs, the highest forces of the universe are expressed. This is Cosmic Will, the force of the Thrones of the first hierarchy, which also includes the Cherubim and Seraphim. Whoever is able to open himself to the forces of pure Will, through the limbs, is able to open a breach towards the highest forces of the Cherubs and the Seraphim. Here we get a sense of the terrific human responsibility connected with one’s movements, because through the movement of an arm, one can stab, or cuddle, or heal, using the same forces of will that pass through the hands.

We have to recall that the will doesn’t obey the nervous system. This force from the first hierarchy is the only activity that is not submitted to the nervous system. Thinking is indeed submitted to it, because it is continually conditioned by cerebral activity. Feeling, as a reflection in thinking, is forced to manifest itself in the higher nervous area, so that feeling continually hits the brain and destroys it. Conversely, in the will we have an activity that is completely foreign to the nervous system. We don’t have motor nerves. One day, science will discover it. This knowledge is one of Steiner’s gifts. It’s very important to understand what that means, because until we believe that there are motor nerves, it is impossible to do true psychology. For now, our whole inner life is entirely conditioned by the nervous system, it's connected to it, but in truth it doesn’t have to. The nervous system is currenntly the illegitimate mediator of feelings. Feelings shouldn’t have anything to do with the nervous system. The latter should simply be the recipient, the preceiver of soul states. But this does not happen. We should perceive a feeling exactly as we perceive a color. Instead, it happens that feeling invades the recipient, the recipient becomes identified with it, and so that soul state becomes a thought, and man is subjugated. Man can't find salvation, until he discovers the real science of the spirit, until he frees himself from the various yogas and yogisms, the various philosophies, the various deceivers of the graal, and from those, like Evola, who are figures of great value, but who also said many things that really set obstacles to the disciple’s inner development.

The nerves that we call motor nerves serve to simply perceive the exchanges that happen as a consequence of the movements. The nature of movement is, at first, representation. Secondly, we don’t really realize what happens, though we can say that it goes through the activity of feeling. Feeling is the mediation zone, the least conscious one. Then the movement snaps in the limbs, makes that force flow, and the process of flowing of that force is perceived by the so-called motor nerves. Therefore it happens that, when that last perception is missing, one feels paralyzed. It may happen that this paralysis is not real. There are few beings on our Earth who are able, after such a paralysis, to leverage the will and regain control on the limbs. A while ago, I did a series of studies - not real studies, I simply intended to dig deeper into this topic and I gathered everything I could find - and I read extremely interesting documents, reporting of paralyzed persons who were animated by a strong will and healed themselves. For example, one who had lost his voice, heard at some point the singing of a beautiful song. He was following a certain inner methodology, and a marvelous song became manifest to his hearing. He became moved by it, until he finally realized that he himself had recovered his voice and was the one singing! It’s similar to what happened to someone who wanted to give his mother a cuddle, and at some point he felt the horror of seeing a hand doing precisely that, only to realize it was his own hand.

In other words, today we don’t really have a relationship with will. The day we will have a true relationship with the force of will, these forms of paralysis will be overcome. In any case, all this is extremely important. With reference to the question asked by our friend, we can answer that - as Dante intuited - it is the will that moves the world, from the Thrones, to the Cherubs, Spirits of Harmony, and to the Seraphim, Spirits of Love. The will moves the world, because the Seraphim are the Spirits of Love. Hence we can say, with Dante: “Love that moves the Sun and the other stars” - a powerful image of this force of Will, imparting movement so well that it even comes to move our human limbs and everything else too, including the heart. One day, man will take hold of the heart. The heart is the first muscle that man will possess. Some already have it. At least two or three people among us already know how to do what they want with their heart. In the future, the heart will become a voluntary muscle. This will is the strengthening of love, it is harmony, that in man operates directly in the limbs as will. In this way we can grasp the importance of eurhythmy, a highly magical art. It can only be taught by beings who operate at a true spiritual level. If it's made into a technique, it becomes a catastrophe. If the truly spiritual level is not there, it doesn’t work.
There is one more thing to say. The question also referred to life and death. Well, they do not exist. Life is always there. Death is simply the most real existing process of correction of everything illusory, of dialectical thought. In this sense, death is necessary to life. In order for life to triumph, death is necessary. In order to free oneself from certain deadly processes of the psyche, one has to traverse anguishes and fears. One has to die and then resurrect. Those who are on a spiritual path navigate through many deaths, through various processes of death, and various processes of resurrection. And it's especially in living thinking that we obtain true resurrection.

Now let’s see how we can get closer to … … we have here this thought from Aurobindo: “The greatness of man does not reside in what he is, but in what he makes possible”. Yes, we can understand what this means. We can say that the reason why he makes things possible is that he is. He first is, hence he can make possible what he can make possible. We absolutely agree with Aurobindo on this point. However, several questions are intertwined here. Man operates along human evolution, within the evolution of the universe, thanks to what he really is, what he really realizes, not what he narrates or shows. If he truly is, he can make certain realizations possible. In other words, it is man's being itself that at a certain point also is existence. Because on Earth we cannot only be. We also have to exist, that is, we have to take ourselves out of ourselves: “ex-sistere”, to enter into the circuit of action, provided that this action does not swallow us. If that happens, it’s Ahriman, and we can dominate him when we truly become alive in thinking. This is the art of man.

Here I will put together these two questions: "The Rosicrucian way of feeling-will”. We have already brushed upon that. “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God”.
When is one pure in heart? When there are no encrustations in feeling, no encrustations coming from the rational-affective soul. In the rational-affective soul, Ahriman and Lucifer fully agree with each other. Absolute rationality is Ahrimanic. Absolute affectiveness is Luciferic. When we are free from both, the heart becomes pure. We can say, this is the Rosicrucian way of feeling and will. Now we have to move from words to image. It’s a liberation of forces, a liberation of faculties, an operation dependent on our courage and grit, the tenacity that we invest in the liberation of thinking, because the I is in there, and it’s exactly in the sphere of thinking that we can grasp all the emotional fictions and all the power of the instincts. Thinking liberates itself to the extent that it exits the sphere of the instincts. The psyche is the dominion of instincts. How does psyche come to dominate thinking? Thanks to the Luciferic fluidifier: feeling. Instinct comes from Ahriman as an icy, cold, stubborn, egoistic subjectivism, that through the Luciferic vector dominates the whole being. It’s only when we are capable of a courageous act of thinking independence, that we experience ourselves liberated from this dominion, and we begin to breathe in the air of freedom. Then we become free for rhetorics, from the duality of error and truth that only exists inside ourselves.

In this way, we become capable of knowing the error of Plato, for example. Plato’s error is the transcendence of ideas, that was true for him, but was reflected philosophically as an airy-fairy idealism with no relation to reality. That’s subliminally Luciferic. We can come to understand how this error can be corrected, but this correction, the attainment of truth, the perception of this error, is realized, as an event, in the fact that thinking is living and it summarizes the whole process of truth, from Plato, from before and after Plato, and it’s through the present experience of thinking that thinks, that Plato’s error becomes truth, in us. Plato was buried 24 or 25 centuries ago, but what remains of Plato is his presence in our thinking that goes beyond his error. So the truth that lived in Plato lives on as Logos in us. That truth appears again in us, but it comes back as error in us if we only learn the doctrine, unable to separate thinking from thought. As soon as we refer to the platonic doctrines and do a fine philosophical exposition, we have already lost the battle. And this applies to everything, for example to Aristotle. In opposition to Plato, Aristotle made the mistake of wishing to organize thoughts, with the creation of logic. Both his error and Plato’s were absolutely necessary, one is Luciferic, the other one is Ahrimanic. Now the centuries have gone by, and we review this history today. But the story does not happen outside of our thinking. If we only focus on philosophy we can’t realize what really happened with Plato and Aristotle, and so the error goes on. Philosophy as such has ended.

Luckily, we have awareness of the Rosicrucian way, in which the Logos of the world reappears, it is resurrected in living thinking, giving man the possibility to reconnect the truth of today with the truth of the past, because separating time does not exist. This separation does not exist for thinking. In this way, the great Plato comes back in our thinking, freed from his error, because we can locate him in time and justify his vision of the world of ideas. This is the liberation of thinking. Free thinking lives in that sphere where it finally meets the force of will, as we were discussing at the beginning. As we said, the current of will appears independent of man’s physical body. It snaps directly in the limbs, so it has nothing to do with the misery of our nervous system. It has nothing to do with the psyche. As I have often recalled, the best athletes are those who ignore the torso, and only use arms and legs. The most powerful boxers are those who don’t use their torso in their impetus. I don’t like boxing as a sport. Well, I did like it in the past, but I later understood that it isn’t… Anyway, their training is highly interesting, because they also have an asceticism. And I have watched them, I have followed them in the Olympic Games. I watched various matches, studying the movement of arms and legs, and I noticed that the best ones were nonexistent in their torsos. They were all articulation of the arms. We could say the same with regard to swimming. The thing is, in the torso there is the snake, the paralyzer of the force, the axis of the spinal system… That’s terrible, because from there the instincts rise up to the head. So will means great independence from the nervous system.

Rosicrucian asceticism realizes the conjunction of thinking with this cosmic current of will. This conjunction is indeed a rather embarrassing experience, because the will comes from the opposite direction to thinking. We, for our part, can deploy great will in thinking, to the extent that we are able to orient it toward a theme. However, if we really want to enter into a relationship with the current of will, we have to understand that the starting point is opposite to that of thinking. There is an inversion of polarity. It is utterly important to understand that we enter a sphere in which the invisible Masters decide if the thing should or shouldn’t happen. The current of will is the Logos flowing in the human, and Eurhythmy is the art of movement in harmony with the cosmic appeal to these forces, because man’s whole structure obeys this harmony. Man really is of divine nature. The physical and etheric bodies of man are of divine nature, the gods have expressed themselves in these. The error begins in the astral body. There begins the destruction of the physical-etheric body, and death. But the physical-etheric body really is pure perfection. One day, we will match that perfection. Our Doctor says that the day we succeed in making the astral body as perfect as our physical-astral body today, our battle will be won. So let’s learn something from the physical body. With the Rosicrucian exercise, for instance, we are on this way. The union with will and with feeling begins when thinking frees itself from physicality.

This is the preparation for an expected development, but for now civilization has come to a stop in the face of its ignorance of the force of Logos. This force is nevertheless exploited in all scientific research. Any authentic and yielding scientific inquiry actually taps into this force. But the Logos remains unknown. This is a serious affront to the creative nature of thinking. If we take a look, we see that all tragedy we experience in the present situation of humanity depends precisely on that: there is an etheric world asking to be known, and only through that knowledge will we find solutions to all our burning problems, including the socio-economic one. To summarize, the dissolution of error in thinking leads to purity of heart, and to encounter with the Divine.

““If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” John 21:22.” What is the meaning of “what is that to you?””
This comes after Peter has answered three times the question of Christ “Do you love me?” And Christ replied: “Take care on my ship”. So the flock is entrusted to Peter. It means that, as long as the flock is human flock, the shepherd is necessary. But when the flock is no longer a flock, the time of self-consciousness begins. So the mission of Peter is accomplished, and the one of John begins. This is why the Lord says “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” In other words, it doesn’t concern you, at least for the time being (because certainly Peter too will return, with new functions).
Here we understand how we really are at the threshold of new times, that require a novel and audacious life of thinking. There is no other place to liberate ourselves. And even if we are able to express the highest devotion, it’s from thinking that we draw everything that purifies and strengthens our devotion.

Here I notice this connected question, on Christic realism. It’s a theme that implies a great responsibility. Realism is an error in all its forms. As we know, realism is believing that reality is independent from our knowing. Realism falls the moment we understand that there isn’t a reality outside of us, and we are simply here to apprehend it. No. Reality appears to us as it does, because we are made as we are made. If we were made of spirit, we wouldn’t see reality as we do. We would see it charged with forces, and we would feel active in the middle of these forces. But we have fallen in physicality, in the nervous system, hence reality appears to us as it does, and we need to discover that such appearance is already an inner act that begins in us. The act of perceiving is, in itself, already an encounter between our astral-etheric body with the astral-etheric nature of the physical world. Then knowing it, through the conceptual operation, is an inner operation that makes us seize the inner entity of the object inside ourselves. The interiority of the object manifests inside ourselves. However, when thinking is weak, reflected, philosophical and dialectical, it doesn’t dare to think, not even remotely, that the essence of things speaks in thinking. Thus, thinking closes itself to the Logos, and the concept is the Logos of things (even Plato and Socrates call the concept Logos). Therefore, realism is an error. Realism can be materialist, but also idealistic, like for instance, the world of ideas, the noumena, Schopenhauer’s will, etcetera. Recently we referred to the only realism that has real existence, because it doesn’t dualize the world, and we called it Christic realism. Christic realism is the absolute “Christicity” of reality. No event is separated from the Logos. The Logos is expressed in everything, in tragic as well as in happy events, in death and in life, in the birth of one being and in the death of another one. This was understood in Vedanta, and also in Buddhism, although the Logos was reduced to a metaphysical realism. In contrast, we can say that Christic realism realizes itself as monism, that is as profound unity of reality that we can conquer within ourselves.

Not even a leaf can quiver if God doesn’t want it” as the popular saying goes. In Rosicrucian terms, it means that the Logos is present in everything, it’s at the origin of all movement. Also, it’s important that we ourselves feel our presence in it. We need to be present in it, through absolute regularity… I am saying too much here… who is in perfect alignment, in absolutely good standing with the Logos in every single movement? One has to be free, free to sin. Be careful not to take that too literally, ok? [laughs] One has to be free to do it oneself, so as to have the courage to make the Logos work. As I said, this has to be reconciled with the other aspect, the need to create that absolute intimate connection with the Logos. In this way, Christic realism becomes a powerful inspiration that continually allows us to be free without fear, joyfully sensing our concurrence with the creative forces of the universe. And so we aspire to kindle the force of Logos, not only in thinking that thinks, but also in the intimacy of our heart.