Fourth Law of Nature

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Lou Gold

Fourth Law of Nature

Post by Lou Gold »

New twist in the physicalist argument.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andreamorr ... 0f16d8209b
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Federica

Re: Fourth Law of Nature

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:47 pm New twist in the physicalist argument.

Lou, I'm glad you're thinking about the forum, but please make an effort and say how you thought the article was interesting and/or exactly why you dropped it here.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

Federica wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:51 am

Lou, I'm glad you're thinking about the forum, but please make an effort and say how you thought the article was interesting and/or exactly why you dropped it here.
Sure Federica,

It was triggered by memories of the old forum where there was lots of discussion of physicalist-vs-idealist theories. A prediction was made that as idealism gained in current acceptance the physicalists would come up with new theories to explain how it was within the paradigm all along. 'Forth Law of Nature' was quite a leap for me. I thought others might be interested. Perhaps there might even be some discussion from which I might learn. My apologies if it seems out of place.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Federica

Post by Federica »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:16 am
Federica wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:51 am

Sure Federica,

It was triggered by memories of the old forum where there was lots of discussion of physicalist-vs-idealist theories. A prediction was made that as idealism gained in current acceptance the physicalists would come up with new theories to explain how it was within the paradigm all along. 'Forth Law of Nature' was quite a leap for me. I thought others might be interested. Perhaps there might even be some discussion from which I might learn. My apologies if it seems out of place.

Not at all, Lou, it's surely not out of place, and thanks for sharing it! I was just saying that I think it's best to add at least a short word to accompany any link. Admittedly the topic is not my main focus right now and I only briefly browsed the article for now. I suppose it goes well with this interview of Penrose. From the first 15 minutes I watched it seemed relevant to me. I should watch it more slowly and carefully to be able to follow and gain some understanding. I guess some - maybe you are one of them - already know it.

In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.