Toward a Phenomenology of the Etheric World

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Toward a Phenomenology of the Etheric World

Post by AshvinP »

For anyone interested in exploring the movements of living thinking, I highly recommend a book (which may have been mentioned before) that helps concretely elucidate the experience of the etheric formative forces that animate our everyday thinking and perceiving. There is an especially helpful chapter that uses the streaming movements of rivers to elucidate the gradation of etheric activity in four stages - (1) flowing, (2) gliding, (3) shearing, (4) turning. I believe these roughly correspond to the activity of the four ethers (warmth, light, sound, life), although that was not explicitly stated in the book so it may not be exactly correct.

Flowing:

Gliding:

Shearing:

Turning:

The key is that these perceptual movements of streaming reflect the etheric movements of our thinking. So it is more than a simple metaphor, since the perceptual phenomena of streaming are structured directly by our living thinking that connects percept data with concepts and thereby arrives at the coherent experience of movement. In contemplating this relationship even in our normal thinking, thinking finds a way to observe itself in a way that is not simply abstract reflection via philosophical and scientific models, i.e. before its activity completely collapses into static, spatially fixed concepts.

Muller and Rapp wrote:The method employed here does not involve erecting a hypothesis about non-experiencable factors behind the appearances, or through formalisms coercing the phenomena. Instead, the phenomena are brought together to form a self-supporting totality, which emerges of itself and in so doing explains the phenomena archetypally, out of themselves. In short, the principle of experience in science is made complete through the inclusion of the experiences of thinking. The light that illuminates and orders the appearances, now appears itself. This "higher experience within experience" as a constituent factor of reality also belongs to the totality of observed reality. It uncovers the etheric dimension of reality as the genesis of reality. Thus, a more radical application of the principle of experience leads of itself to a spiritual science of nature. There is no reason to apply the principle of experience only to the world of the senses. The capacity of thinking to observe itself breaks down the dogma that all valid experience must be sense experience. Thinking, which has always been presupposed in interpreting sense experience, now itself becomes experience; thereby the principle of experience is fully plumbed and science has achieved its pre- suppositionless basis. Since self-experiencing thinking brings with it knowledge of the reality of the etheric formative movements, the etheric proves to be that entity in which the presuppositionlessness of reality becomes substance. The medium of evolution reveals itself out of its own creative sources. The fountainhead of reality is not some kind of quasi-sensuous "thing in itself" but rather the only experiencable substance that is capable of generating reality in a manner that can be experienced: it is living thinking itself, in which the "wellsprings of the world" are active, in short, etheric substance.

A science of the etheric nature of streaming comprises exactly these formative movements of reality in which thinking and streaming flow into one another (as the parallel structure of the sections Streaming and Thinking and Streaming attempts to show.) In the formative movements of streaming, self-experiencing thinking finds the pictures of its own activity - an activity in which the etheric of the world is streaming. To say this, is not merely to make a vague analogy between the streaming of a river and the streaming activity of the etheric; in a strict sense - insofar as living thinking productively illuminates the reality of stream- ing's formative movements-streaming is a real (not allegorical) picture of the etheric. In this picture, thinking perceives its own etheric activity; in the fourfold buildup of streaming, thinking develops its own living nature (from ordinary (1) to Imaginative representation (4)). By unfolding the reality of streaming in four stages, thinking differentiates the picture of the etheric and characterizes the different kinds of etheric activity.

A science of streaming built up meditatively in the fashion attempted here, incorporating the description of the experience of thinking, brings with it a path of training. On this path thinking develops itself for spiritual science and at the end can produce that presuppositionless concurrence of knowing and happening (thinking and streaming) which is contributed to reality by the etheric.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Federica

Re: Toward a Phenomenology of the Etheric World

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:17 pm The key is that these perceptual movements of streaming reflect the etheric movements of our thinking. So it is more than a simple metaphor, since the perceptual phenomena of streaming are structured directly by our living thinking that connects percept data with concepts and thereby arrives at the coherent experience of movement. In contemplating this relationship even in our normal thinking, thinking finds a way to observe itself in a way that is not simply abstract reflection via philosophical and scientific models, i.e. before its activity completely collapses into static, spatially fixed concepts.

Muller and Rapp wrote:The method employed here does not involve erecting a hypothesis about non-experiencable factors behind the appearances, or through formalisms coercing the phenomena. Instead, the phenomena are brought together to form a self-supporting totality, which emerges of itself and in so doing explains the phenomena archetypally, out of themselves. In short, the principle of experience in science is made complete through the inclusion of the experiences of thinking. The light that illuminates and orders the appearances, now appears itself. This "higher experience within experience" as a constituent factor of reality also belongs to the totality of observed reality. It uncovers the etheric dimension of reality as the genesis of reality. Thus, a more radical application of the principle of experience leads of itself to a spiritual science of nature. There is no reason to apply the principle of experience only to the world of the senses. The capacity of thinking to observe itself breaks down the dogma that all valid experience must be sense experience. Thinking, which has always been presupposed in interpreting sense experience, now itself becomes experience; thereby the principle of experience is fully plumbed and science has achieved its pre-suppositionless basis.

This immersion in cognitive source resonates harmoniously with Max Leyf's substack today, where knowing from within the source of knowing becomes love: "love and “the reversal”":
Max Leyf wrote:So we should get the idea(l)s of things from the things themselves rather then abstracting them from the concrete encounters we have with them, then forgetting about this encounter and the subsequent abstraction, and finally wielding our concepts, likely dried up and schematized, as standards by which we judge the very things that were their origin. If we stipulate “hatred” to refer to this intentional stance of tacit judgement, then “love” must be the inversion of this.To contemplate a paperclip itself as an embodiment of its own ideal and essence is to encounter its reality, and that’s love. To behold a person as an embodiment of her own ideal and essence is to encounter her reality, and to love her. This is the esoteric “reversal,” or peripeteia, which Aristotle describes as “the change to the opposite of what happened before” and which Jesus vamps on in the Sermon on the Mount:
ordinarily we are trying to change things;
here we allow ourselves to be changed by them—
ordinarily we are trying to move things;
here we allow ourselves to be moved by them.
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:17 pm For anyone interested in exploring the movements of living thinking, I highly recommend a book

To whom it may concern

the book is also linked in the bibliography at the end of this article, though it's behind a request access (I haven't tested):

https://www.aetherforce.energy/a-review ... s-gabriel/
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

AshvinP wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:17 pm For anyone interested in exploring the movements of living thinking, I highly recommend a book (which may have been mentioned before) that helps concretely elucidate the experience of the etheric formative forces that animate our everyday thinking and perceiving. There is an especially helpful chapter that uses the streaming movements of rivers to elucidate the gradation of etheric activity in four stages - (1) flowing, (2) gliding, (3) shearing, (4) turning. I believe these roughly correspond to the activity of the four ethers (warmth, light, sound, life), although that was not explicitly stated in the book so it may not be exactly correct.
Thanks, Ashvin,
I have this book and I have read it quite some years ago but at that time I surely didn't have a good grasp on how to conceive of the etheric. I guess it'll be interesting to revisit.
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

Thank you Ashvin.
I ordered that book and can't wait to read it.
I was thinking about reading it in the English version, but I will read it in German.
(I ordered a lyre harp too, I really have developed an interest in art in the last few months. I'm really excited :D)

There is a amazing book which I read right now, which interprets the story of genesis and other biblical story's, in a way of ancient consciousness.
I see very much parallels to steiners work in that one.
I can highly recommend it to anyone.

The Language of Creation: Cosmic Symbolism in Genesis: A ...
~Only true love can heal broken hearts~
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Güney27 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:03 pm Thank you Ashvin.
I was thinking about reading it in the English version, but I will read it in German.
(I ordered a lyre harp too, I really have developed an interest in art in the last few months. I'm really excited :D)

There is a amazing book which I read right now, which interprets the story of genesis and other biblical story's, in a way of ancient consciousness.

Thanks for mentioning the lyre harp, Guney, I just ordered one too! I had always been thinking about buying another musical instrument, but most were too expensive, so it's great to find a relatively cheap instrument to learn.

I haven't read the book, but I know Matthieu Pageau is Jonathan Pageau's brother and always found their work interesting. Here is an interview between Peterson and MP.

The one thing to keep in mind, however, is that the symbolic interpretation of Biblical stories is only a relatively shallow layer of understanding, although modern people tend to view it as 'the best we can do'. As usual, we begin to penetrate further when we realize concretely that the Spirit that inspired the Biblical stories is the same Spirit animating our symbolic thinking. Steiner speaks on that some here:

https://rsarchive.org/Lectures/GA094/En ... 06p01.html
Religious documents may be viewed from four aspects. 1) By taking them naïvely and literally. 2) From the standpoint of science which considers itself far cleverer than the authors of these documents. 3) From the standpoint of an allegorical-symbolic interpretation (which may be very clever, but is in many cases quite arbitrary). 4) From the occult standpoint, by taking the things described in the characteristic language of such documents again in their exact meaning, thus reaching again a literal understanding of the words. For example, Noah's rainbow, it's not a symbol, but it expresses the fact that a rainbow could only arise after the descent of Atlantis and the receding of the mists. There could be no rainbow in the ancient Atlantean epoch. Noah (“Bringer of Peace”) should be looked upon as the leader (the Manu) whose task was that of guiding the peoples out of the sinking Atlantis. It was at this moment that the rainbow first arose.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

AshvinP wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:01 am
Güney27 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:03 pm Thank you Ashvin.

Thanks for mentioning the lyre harp, Guney, I just ordered one too! I had always been thinking about buying another musical instrument, but most were too expensive, so it's great to find a relatively cheap instrument to learn.

I haven't read the book, but I know Matthieu Pageau is Jonathan Pageau's brother and always found their work interesting. Here is an interview between Peterson and MP.

The one thing to keep in mind, however, is that the symbolic interpretation of Biblical stories is only a relatively shallow layer of understanding, although modern people tend to view it as 'the best we can do'. As usual, we begin to penetrate further when we realize concretely that the Spirit that inspired the Biblical stories is the same Spirit animating our symbolic thinking. Steiner speaks on that some here:

https://rsarchive.org/Lectures/GA094/En ... 06p01.html
Religious documents may be viewed from four aspects. 1) By taking them naïvely and literally. 2) From the standpoint of science which considers itself far cleverer than the authors of these documents. 3) From the standpoint of an allegorical-symbolic interpretation (which may be very clever, but is in many cases quite arbitrary). 4) From the occult standpoint, by taking the things described in the characteristic language of such documents again in their exact meaning, thus reaching again a literal understanding of the words. For example, Noah's rainbow, it's not a symbol, but it expresses the fact that a rainbow could only arise after the descent of Atlantis and the receding of the mists. There could be no rainbow in the ancient Atlantean epoch. Noah (“Bringer of Peace”) should be looked upon as the leader (the Manu) whose task was that of guiding the peoples out of the sinking Atlantis. It was at this moment that the rainbow first arose.
Ashvin,
Isn't it a good idea to think in the following:,, instead of asking how this thing works and how it is composed, I should ask, what idea and truth, does this object embody?"

If we interpret the Bible in this way, we can come to the conclusion, that the world is like written language, I.e meaningful. Or that language, is a microcosmic representation of the world.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night."
In modern times we would discard this as some form of poetry. Or as something unscientific.

But there is something symbolic in this sentence.

We can interpret heaven and light as intangible spiritual meaning, and earth as matter (light as the expression of meaning is something that steiner has talked about, if i'm remember precisely).
Not as a duality, but as a polarity.

Spiritual meaning becomes tangible trough expression in matter (form).
In a macrocosmic level it is the manifestation
of the world.
In a microcosmic level, it is the thinking process wich confronts the given.

Thinking makes the world (matter) intelligible, it elucidates it whit Spiritual meaning, so we come to knowledge.
Trough thinking trough Genesis we can understand our own cognition process (microcosmic) and the divine language, the world which embodies meaning which we can't read (macrocosmic).

I think that this type of thinking is good for the modern consciousness, because it can give meaning to the world and get on outside of the box of materialistic thinking, and strengthening faith in the spirit (world).

I can't do much right now with Steiners interpretation of the Bible right now, it remains abstract to my current thinking.

I think a symbolic way of thinking like the pageau Brothers practice it, can get one into deeper layers of meaning of the scriptures (I don't know if it gets one into the deeper layers of the wc).
What is your opinion on that?

Post scriptum:
What do you think poetry and music is, and what is their function?
I'm thinking about this, but don't have come to a definite answer.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Güney27 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:52 am Ashvin,
Isn't it a good idea to think in the following:,, instead of asking how this thing works and how it is composed, I should ask, what idea and truth, does this object embody?"

If we interpret the Bible in this way, we can come to the conclusion, that the world is like written language, I.e meaningful. Or that language, is a microcosmic representation of the world.

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night."
In modern times we would discard this as some form of poetry. Or as something unscientific.

We can interpret heaven and light as intangible spiritual meaning, and earth as matter (light as the expression of meaning is something that steiner has talked about, if i'm remember precisely).

of the world.

Thinking makes the world (matter) intelligible, it elucidates it whit Spiritual meaning, so we come to knowledge.
Trough thinking trough Genesis we can understand our own cognition process (microcosmic) and the divine language, the world which embodies meaning which we can't read (macrocosmic).

I think that this type of thinking is good for the modern consciousness, because it can give meaning to the world and get on outside of the box of materialistic thinking, and strengthening faith in the spirit (world).

I can't do much right now with Steiners interpretation of the Bible right now, it remains abstract to my current thinking.

I think a symbolic way of thinking like the pageau Brothers practice it, can get one into deeper layers of meaning of the scriptures (I don't know if it gets one into the deeper layers of the wc).

I agree, Guney, it is a good starting point and it is wise to patiently work our way through symbolic thinking. I only mention a caution because a lot of modern people tend to get stuck at that level of interpretation, whereas we can certainly go deeper. By going deeper, we connect the Cosmic symbolism with our intimate stream of experience. 

As Steiner said, the symbolic interpretations can become quite arbitrary over time if we remain with the intellect. In some cases, like the Genesis story, it is relatively easy to get a symbolic sense of the language, but in other parts of the scripture, it will be more difficult. Then we are tempted to impose certain meanings on the symbols of the stories that may be misleading. These interpretations invariably become an expression of our own personal preferences and sympathies. So we should always remain open and not become too attached to the symbolic analysis. I think it is more fruitful to pray and meditate on the symbols and allow them to gradually reveal their deeper meaning. Each symbol is part of a holistic context of spiritual evolution. So if we strengthen our intuition for that holistic context via studying spiritual science, for ex., the mythic symbols in particular chapters of human history will also begin to clarify for us.

Post scriptum:

Lately, I like to think of my sensory experience in terms of Plato's intuition, 'all knowledge is remembrance'. When we listen to music for ex., we remember our spirit's holistic movements in the deeper noncorporeal strata of existence. This shouldn't be thought of as an activity that happened 'before' and is gone now, but rather the movements that are still serving as the archetypal arrows - the meaningful context - that modulate our normal thinking states. All remembrance and insight is our capacity for resonance with these deeper layers of the meaningful context. These layers are comprised of more holistic movements of feelings and will impulses from which we extract our point-like concepts. The latter gives us a certain orientation to these temporally extended states of being without needing to encompass all those states in our soul-life at one time. This allows for the development of certain intellectual capacities and moral virtues that would otherwise remain dormant.

In our normal conceptual state, we experience each metamorphosing state of being as a relatively fragmented unit - we can link together these states in memory, but they still remain dim and fragmented, without the quality of the state as we previously experienced it. In our experience of music, we intimate an existence in which our states are encompassed more vividly as a holistic intuition. Indeed, our conceptual states of being while listening to music, assuming our mind doesn't wander to other things, are entrained by holistic rhythms, melodies, and harmonies. It's interesting to examine the use of music in cinema - practically every movie uses music to enhance the viewer's sense of absorption in the scenes and the feelings they are intended to express. A thrilling action sequence uses certain music, a dramatic love sequence uses other music, a mystery horror sequence uses yet other music, etc. Of course, this holistic intuition is still not very lucid, which is why we need higher development as well. Then the arts more effectively serve their function of pointing our attention toward noncorporeal, holistic movements of our spirit.

These movements are not physical movements like we experience on the sensory plane, but the expression of our ideal participation in symphonically structuring the curvatures of intents that metamorphose the World-state. Our physical movements are decohered shadows of these spiritual movements - after all, when we perceive ourselves or others moving, it is an expression of the will to fulfill certain intents or instinctive tasks. In our conceptual state, we represent these holistic spiritual movements in terms of temporal units, like months and seasons of the year or epochs of human history, and all the various cultural and natural forces that structure our state of being over those timeframes. To make this more concrete, let's return to the memory example.

In our normal memory, we experience a common intuition that overarches the memories with our current state, which is the intuition that they all 'happened to us'. Likewise, if we think about some person we know, we can look at a photograph of the person, contemplate a memory of the person, or meet the person IRL - even though these experiences are quite different, there is something common between them that is associated uniquely with our intuition of that person. Our current state could only be what it is through these overarching intuitions that encompass the memories - we abstractly label these things as making up our character, temperament, personality, relationships, etc., but the concrete reality is the overarching intuition that past (and future) states are always present in our current as its meaningful context.

In these examples, we could say that our spirit knows itself and others in the reflections of dim and fragmented memories comprised of meaningful experiences. Now imagine the panoramic life review scenario, where our life memories are encompassed as something more Whole, like we encompass the musical notes of a melody. Try to imagine a situation in which all your memories were experienced as if they were happening now, superimposed on your current 'now' state. Your spirit now knows itself in the reflection of its holistic life experience. Notice how nothing has essentially changed - it's not like you retroactively go back and change the memories to be something other than what they were. Yet we can still speak of a higher experience that makes our individual experience grow richer in its meaningful dimension. Just imagine how many more insights we could extract from our memories - the errors we made, the important details we failed to notice, the shitty way we may have treated other people, etc. - if they were experienced vividly as if superimposed on our current state.

Through such higher experience, we can creatively explore the ways in which our seemingly 'separate' existences from our fellow beings can be harmonized at ever-higher levels, like the instruments, sections, and partiturs of a symphony orchestra can be harmonized through the Conductor. These are the deeply aesthetic and moral ideals that the arts such as music speak to us about, which we are already consciously working on in our noncorporeal states where we encompass states of being as holistic movements.

Steiner also lectures on how the arts can be seen as dim representations of experiences in the higher worlds. 

We must bear in mind that not only the initiate lives in these worlds [astral and devachanic]. The only difference between the ordinary human being and the initiate is that an initiate undergoes these various altered conditions consciously. The states that ordinary man undergoes unconsciously again and again merely change into conscious ones for him. The ordinary human being passes through these three worlds time after time, but he knows nothing about it, because he is conscious neither of himself nor of his experiences there. Nevertheless, he returns with some of the effects that these experiences called forth in him. When he awakens in the morning, not only is he physically rejuvenated by the sleep, but he also brings back art from those worlds. When a painter, for example, goes far beyond the reality of colors in the physical world in his choice of the tones and color harmonies that he paints on his canvas, it is none other than a recollection, albeit an unconscious one, of experiences in the astral world. Where has he seen these tones, these shining colors? Where has he experienced them? They are the after-effects of the astral experiences he has had during the night. Only this flowing ocean of light and colors, of beauty and radiating, glimmering depths, where he has dwelt during sleep, gives him the possibility of using these colors among which he existed. With the dense, earthy colors of our physical world, however, he is unable to reproduce anything close to the ideal that he has experienced and that lives in him. We thus see in painting a shadow-image, a precipitation of the astral world in the physical world, and we see how the effects of the astral realm bear magnificent, marvelous fruits in man.

...The composer conjures a still higher world; he conjures the Devachanic world into the physical world. The melodies and harmonies that speak to us from the compositions of our great masters are actually faithful copies of the Devachanic world. If we are at all capable of experiencing a foretaste of the spiritual world, this would be found in the melodies and harmonies of music and the effects it has on the human soul.
Güney27

Post by Güney27 »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:42 pm
Güney27 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:52 am Ashvin,

of the world.

I agree, Guney, it is a good starting point and it is wise to patiently work our way through symbolic thinking. I only mention a caution because a lot of modern people tend to get stuck at that level of interpretation, whereas we can certainly go deeper. By going deeper, we connect the Cosmic symbolism with our intimate stream of experience. 

As Steiner said, the symbolic interpretations can become quite arbitrary over time if we remain with the intellect. In some cases, like the Genesis story, it is relatively easy to get a symbolic sense of the language, but in other parts of the scripture, it will be more difficult. Then we are tempted to impose certain meanings on the symbols of the stories that may be misleading. These interpretations invariably become an expression of our own personal preferences and sympathies. So we should always remain open and not become too attached to the symbolic analysis. I think it is more fruitful to pray and meditate on the symbols and allow them to gradually reveal their deeper meaning. Each symbol is part of a holistic context of spiritual evolution. So if we strengthen our intuition for that holistic context via studying spiritual science, for ex., the mythic symbols in particular chapters of human history will also begin to clarify for us.

Post scriptum:

Lately, I like to think of my sensory experience in terms of Plato's intuition, 'all knowledge is remembrance'. When we listen to music for ex., we remember our spirit's holistic movements in the deeper noncorporeal strata of existence. This shouldn't be thought of as an activity that happened 'before' and is gone now, but rather the movements that are still serving as the archetypal arrows - the meaningful context - that modulate our normal thinking states. All remembrance and insight is our capacity for resonance with these deeper layers of the meaningful context. These layers are comprised of more holistic movements of feelings and will impulses from which we extract our point-like concepts. The latter gives us a certain orientation to these temporally extended states of being without needing to encompass all those states in our soul-life at one time. This allows for the development of certain intellectual capacities and moral virtues that would otherwise remain dormant.

In our normal conceptual state, we experience each metamorphosing state of being as a relatively fragmented unit - we can link together these states in memory, but they still remain dim and fragmented, without the quality of the state as we previously experienced it. In our experience of music, we intimate an existence in which our states are encompassed more vividly as a holistic intuition. Indeed, our conceptual states of being while listening to music, assuming our mind doesn't wander to other things, are entrained by holistic rhythms, melodies, and harmonies. It's interesting to examine the use of music in cinema - practically every movie uses music to enhance the viewer's sense of absorption in the scenes and the feelings they are intended to express. A thrilling action sequence uses certain music, a dramatic love sequence uses other music, a mystery horror sequence uses yet other music, etc. Of course, this holistic intuition is still not very lucid, which is why we need higher development as well. Then the arts more effectively serve their function of pointing our attention toward noncorporeal, holistic movements of our spirit.

These movements are not physical movements like we experience on the sensory plane, but the expression of our ideal participation in symphonically structuring the curvatures of intents that metamorphose the World-state. Our physical movements are decohered shadows of these spiritual movements - after all, when we perceive ourselves or others moving, it is an expression of the will to fulfill certain intents or instinctive tasks. In our conceptual state, we represent these holistic spiritual movements in terms of temporal units, like months and seasons of the year or epochs of human history, and all the various cultural and natural forces that structure our state of being over those timeframes. To make this more concrete, let's return to the memory example.

In our normal memory, we experience a common intuition that overarches the memories with our current state, which is the intuition that they all 'happened to us'. Likewise, if we think about some person we know, we can look at a photograph of the person, contemplate a memory of the person, or meet the person IRL - even though these experiences are quite different, there is something common between them that is associated uniquely with our intuition of that person. Our current state could only be what it is through these overarching intuitions that encompass the memories - we abstractly label these things as making up our character, temperament, personality, relationships, etc., but the concrete reality is the overarching intuition that past (and future) states are always present in our current as its meaningful context.

In these examples, we could say that our spirit knows itself and others in the reflections of dim and fragmented memories comprised of meaningful experiences. Now imagine the panoramic life review scenario, where our life memories are encompassed as something more Whole, like we encompass the musical notes of a melody. Try to imagine a situation in which all your memories were experienced as if they were happening now, superimposed on your current 'now' state. Your spirit now knows itself in the reflection of its holistic life experience. Notice how nothing has essentially changed - it's not like you retroactively go back and change the memories to be something other than what they were. Yet we can still speak of a higher experience that makes our individual experience grow richer in its meaningful dimension. Just imagine how many more insights we could extract from our memories - the errors we made, the important details we failed to notice, the shitty way we may have treated other people, etc. - if they were experienced vividly as if superimposed on our current state.

Through such higher experience, we can creatively explore the ways in which our seemingly 'separate' existences from our fellow beings can be harmonized at ever-higher levels, like the instruments, sections, and partiturs of a symphony orchestra can be harmonized through the Conductor. These are the deeply aesthetic and moral ideals that the arts such as music speak to us about, which we are already consciously working on in our noncorporeal states where we encompass states of being as holistic movements.

Steiner also lectures on how the arts can be seen as dim representations of experiences in the higher worlds. 

We must bear in mind that not only the initiate lives in these worlds [astral and devachanic]. The only difference between the ordinary human being and the initiate is that an initiate undergoes these various altered conditions consciously. The states that ordinary man undergoes unconsciously again and again merely change into conscious ones for him. The ordinary human being passes through these three worlds time after time, but he knows nothing about it, because he is conscious neither of himself nor of his experiences there. Nevertheless, he returns with some of the effects that these experiences called forth in him. When he awakens in the morning, not only is he physically rejuvenated by the sleep, but he also brings back art from those worlds. When a painter, for example, goes far beyond the reality of colors in the physical world in his choice of the tones and color harmonies that he paints on his canvas, it is none other than a recollection, albeit an unconscious one, of experiences in the astral world. Where has he seen these tones, these shining colors? Where has he experienced them? They are the after-effects of the astral experiences he has had during the night. Only this flowing ocean of light and colors, of beauty and radiating, glimmering depths, where he has dwelt during sleep, gives him the possibility of using these colors among which he existed. With the dense, earthy colors of our physical world, however, he is unable to reproduce anything close to the ideal that he has experienced and that lives in him. We thus see in painting a shadow-image, a precipitation of the astral world in the physical world, and we see how the effects of the astral realm bear magnificent, marvelous fruits in man.

...The composer conjures a still higher world; he conjures the Devachanic world into the physical world. The melodies and harmonies that speak to us from the compositions of our great masters are actually faithful copies of the Devachanic world. If we are at all capable of experiencing a foretaste of the spiritual world, this would be found in the melodies and harmonies of music and the effects it has on the human soul.
Ashvin,

Does the path of Christianity ( in a spiritual sense, like the Russian orthodox pilgrims) lead to initiation?

What do you think is the meaning of the Bible, why is there even a book like this, in which God becomes man and dies on a cross?

The very interesting thing is, that the Bible ( if we interpret it symbolically) has overlaps to PoF.
If the trend of symbolism succeed, then this would be a good milestone, because many people would recognize thinking activity.
And symbolic thinking helps to get from a third-person view, back to our real experience of the world.
I find its a very powerful thing, if we stay open to the possibility that there is much deeper meaning, that we can't understand right now, but which will be revealed trough time.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Güney27 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:33 am Ashvin,

Does the path of Christianity ( in a spiritual sense, like the Russian orthodox pilgrims) lead to initiation?

Yes, it can lead to the development of higher faculties of inner perception. At some point, though, the logical thinking faculty also needs to be developed for the redemption of humanity, since it is through this faculty that the existing domains of culture - the philosophies, sciences, arts, etc. - will be spiritualized. That gradient needs to be formed between the conceptual intellect and the higher faculties so there is continuous interaction between them. I think it is likely that those who pursue an intense religious path in one incarnation will then have the basis for developing their thinking faculty in the next incarnation, and vice versa. The rhythms of incarnation generally make us more well-rounded beings as they provide the basis for integrating the capacities and qualities that are currently spread throughout humanity, assuming we take a self-conscious and devotional stance towards them. There is nothing that prevents us, in principle, from pursuing both paths within a single incarnation, especially when all thought becomes devotional and devotion becomes thought, and I would say Steiner is a great example of that, but for many people, it will be unrealistic at this stage. 

What do you think is the meaning of the Bible, why is there even a book like this, in which God becomes man and dies on a cross?

The very interesting thing is, that the Bible ( if we interpret it symbolically) has overlaps to PoF.
If the trend of symbolism succeed, then this would be a good milestone, because many people would recognize thinking activity.
And symbolic thinking helps to get from a third-person view, back to our real experience of the world.
I find its a very powerful thing, if we stay open to the possibility that there is much deeper meaning, that we can't understand right now, but which will be revealed trough time.

In a certain sense, all writings simply act as a bridge between the loss of ancient clairvoyance and the regaining of modern clairvoyance. Before the former, there was not much need for writing because clairvoyance into the spiritual fabric of reality necessarily entails remembrance of all that has happened to bring the current state about. For ex., after the "I" incarnated during the Atlantean epoch, it still knew itself in relation to its entire ancestry for some time. A person who said "I" was not only referring to his experiences over a few decades of life, but to the experiences of many ancestors as well. An echo of this is reflected in the first few chapters of Genesis when the genealogies are listed and a certain person is recorded as having lived for many hundreds of years - that person's name actually stands in for a whole line of ancestry that was woven into the "I" experience. We can sense how such a consciousness must remain instinctive and dim if the person is also to remain functional in society. In order for consciousness to grow intentional and lucid, it had to be narrowed down to fragmented states of being and limited memory. 

Every concept-perception, whether a natural object or cultural object such as text, can be understood as an anchor point, a point of balance, for a totality of ideal relations that are implicit in its presentment to consciousness. So yes, they are all symbols in that sense. For ex., if an alien came to Earth and carefully observed a single flowering plant over its life cycle, it would be able to infer many things about the surrounding environment - the soil quality, the atmospheric content, the light distribution, the fauna of the region, etc. In a sense, that surrounding context which eventually expands to encompass the entire Cosmos is the reality of the concept-perception of 'flowering plant'. Yet we can't encompass this totality in each act of conception, so most of it remains as an intuitive context while our thinking finds a resting place in the concept. From that point of rest, it can begin freely working back towards the ideal relations that comprise the total intuitive context. 

Eventually, once enough souls regain the clairvoyant capacity in a fully lucid form, there will no longer be any need for writing. There is still quite some way to go for this to come about, and even longer before verbal speech as we experience it today is no longer needed. 

The question of why the contents of the Bible arose, i.e. the story of God becoming man, dying, and resurrecting, is of course a much deeper one that is fundamental to our whole Earthly evolution. It is great that you connected the PoF principles to this fundamental story. Indeed, it is the story of how the most coherent Cosmic Idea penetrated the most fragmented Earthly perceptual context and rendered it a sensible Unity for the rest of our evolution. Our remaining evolution is the process of working out the stages of that coherence. The events of the 1st century provide a condensed image of our entire Earthly evolution. God prepared the soil into which his Divine seed could incarnate - the physical, etheric, and astral sheaths - and then purified those sheaths as an example for the rest of humanity to follow over the course of many centuries and millennia to come. He provides both the means to follow that example and the inspiration to freely adopt those means. We can illustrate this crudely with the following graph of wave functions:

The blue wave is our meaningful spiritual activity (not visible), the red wave is our reflected perceptions/experience, and the black wave is the "I" that mediates between them. It was Christ in his 'pre-earthly deeds' that graced us with the capacity to stand upright, speak, and think. He brought the physical, etheric, and astral bodies into a certain coherence so the "I" could use them as instruments for spiritual activity in the manifest world. We can represent that as when the blue and red waves are aligned from peak to trough and the black standing wave is in a line. At the MoG, the link of "I" was fully incarnated and now thinking can become active in each individual for bringing that work of coherence to completion. That is represented by the wave function curves overlapping and their peaks aligning. That is when the perceptual world will be a perfect reflection of our meaningful spiritual activity, like it is currently only within the domain of pure sense-free thinking, at the tip of our stream of becoming where unmanifest meaning implodes into manifest perception. 

In a sense, Christ is the one having this discussion, because neither you nor I would be able to direct our thinking at will (in freedom) towards supersensible realities and communicate them to each other without what he accomplished. Through the Divine "I", our thinking has been brought almost in-phase with perception. In our thought-forms, we have an almost perfect reflection of the meaningful Idea we live in, however it is not a perfect reflection because our thinking still unfolds within the deeper layers of our being that are not yet in-phase. The meaningful activity of archetypal feeling and willing, in which our thinking unfolds, still reflects itself as the 'outer world' mostly independent of our activity. So, as a general principle, through the faculty of Divine thinking, we first cohere the soul forms (processes) of the astral body (via imagination at the border of thinking and feeling), then the life forms of the etheric body (via inspiration at the border of feeling and willing), and then the physical forms (via intuition, pure willing). In this way, the coherence we currently find in our living thinking acts as a seed point that radiates out into all the layers of our intuitive context. It resurrects the deadened layers of our soul, organic, and physical life. Idea and Perception progressively become One, completely in-phase, across all domains - there is no remaining separation of 'inner' and 'outer', 'subjective' and 'objective'.