Thinking about death

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
lorenzop

Re: Thinking about death

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:01 am I'm curious, Lorenzo, if the stages that happen after death are knowable, what would possibly convince you that you have encountered this knowledge? Clearly, a well-reasoned phenomenology of spiritual activity doesn't hold any weight for you. It's probably fair to say you don't imagine such a thing could even be related to the question of death.

And I don't think any 'pool of experts' is going to convince you, either, nor should it. I mean, what would the experts be presenting you? Logical arguments about the nature of death and how it's continuous with life don't cut it for you and neither would claims to the first-person experience of stages after death, such as we get across the board of esoteric science. So what else could it be? Is there anything short of your own conscious experience of death that would give you confidence that someone else knows something about it you don't already know?
As I mentioned above, one can find reports and first person accounts supporting all possible beliefs re what happens after death . . . reports including of a heavens, of a hell, other dimensions and beings, reincarnation, non-existence, etc. . . . there are accounts supporting the full range of possibilities.
There are ontologies\philosophies which allow for this or that - but I'm not aware of any compelling arguments.
What argument or account do you find most compelling - and why?
Let's say one did or could know what happens upon death - how would that change one's life if one was already engaged in recognizing one's true nature strictly for the advantages of living in the here and now?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:31 am
AshvinP wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:01 am I'm curious, Lorenzo, if the stages that happen after death are knowable, what would possibly convince you that you have encountered this knowledge? Clearly, a well-reasoned phenomenology of spiritual activity doesn't hold any weight for you. It's probably fair to say you don't imagine such a thing could even be related to the question of death.

And I don't think any 'pool of experts' is going to convince you, either, nor should it. I mean, what would the experts be presenting you? Logical arguments about the nature of death and how it's continuous with life don't cut it for you and neither would claims to the first-person experience of stages after death, such as we get across the board of esoteric science. So what else could it be? Is there anything short of your own conscious experience of death that would give you confidence that someone else knows something about it you don't already know?
As I mentioned above, one can find reports and first person accounts supporting all possible beliefs re what happens after death . . . reports including of a heavens, of a hell, other dimensions and beings, reincarnation, non-existence, etc. . . . there are accounts supporting the full range of possibilities.
There are ontologies\philosophies which allow for this or that - but I'm not aware of any compelling arguments.
What argument or account do you find most compelling - and why?
Let's say one did or could know what happens upon death - how would that change one's life if one was already engaged in recognizing one's true nature strictly for the advantages of living in the here and now?

This is why I'm asking, what would a "compelling argument" even look like to you? Maybe you can give an example of a compelling argument you have encountered for something else that wasn't immediately apparent to you. Can you think of something that you became aware of during the course of your living experience that you didn't know before and only came to be convinced of through a compelling argument?

For the second question, this has been explained before. There must be practical consequences for life IF one's true nature is intimately bound up with the after-death stages. Linear temporality is Maya - we use our thinking to tease apart the stages and call one part "life" and another "after death", but in reality, they are both present simultaneously in the 'now'. Just as when we are awake, we are also dreaming and sleeping. Even with a cursory examination, we can see that living organisms are always in the midst of both life and death processes; processes of growth and decay. We are only complete human beings through both.

Besides that, it has also been explained how your knowledge of the future is always informing your life in the here-and-now. I could elaborate on this, but first, it would help to know if you deny that reality? I asked you about this before, but I don't think you answered. To be fair, our friend Jon was quite active and distracting at that time.

Also, Lorenzo, your knowledge of the future is always influencing your current life, unless you flow with your stream of experience without any consideration whatsoever for your responsibilities, obligations, tasks, people to meet, places to go, etc. Why would it be any different for more holistic insight into the future?
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

Examples of arguments: the earth being a spheroid, evolution, value of education, if my parking meter expires I could get a ticket, smoking and eating sugar is bad for one's health, etc.
I do not know of any arguments supporting the value of learning of past lives, or of learning about after death.
Let's say I learned I was a slave building the ancient pyramids of Egypt . . . what is the value of this info? What can I learn about past lives I can put to use right now?
(Ever notice everyone was somebody famous in a past life?)
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:50 am Examples of arguments: the earth being a spheroid, evolution, value of education, if my parking meter expires I could get a ticket, smoking and eating sugar is bad for one's health, etc.
I do not know of any arguments supporting the value of learning of past lives, or of learning about after death.
Let's say I learned I was a slave building the ancient pyramids of Egypt . . . what is the value of this info? What can I learn about past lives I can put to use right now?
(Ever notice everyone was somebody famous in a past life?)

Alright, so at least you are saying here the knowledge that a future ticket will be written for your car at an expired meter influences your current decision of where and how to park. Due to thinking experience, you can anticipate diverse intentional influences - such as the legislators who made the parking laws, the meter maid who administers the laws, the people who constructed the meter to accept money in a certain way, etc. - which structure the consequences for your present action of 'parking the car', and modify your action in the here-and-now accordingly. Of course, you don't think through all those influences every time you park, but condense them all into a useful idea like 'the parking meter expiring gets me a ticket'. That condensed idea only bears meaning for you, however, in relation to the whole spectrum of influences you learned through experience. The same exact principle could be applied to the 'value of education' and 'smoking and eating sugar is bad for my health'.

Now what if the diverse influences that structure the consequences of your actions are not only limited to the sphere of nature and culture during life on Earth, but are also present across the threshold of death (karma)? What if the natural and cultural laws that modulate your actions during life are reflections of the karmic laws across the threshold of death? This is naturally the only possibility for a monist idealism, but you don't even have to believe it's true. It's enough to see that, IF it is true, then remaining ignorant of the karmic laws that are fashioned after death (between incarnations) will greatly limit your potential for free, informed, and healthy actions during life. We could be right this moment inhaling polluted air and ingesting toxic substances from the soul-spirit environment that becomes our more exclusive dwelling after death, none the wiser.

That is the value of learning the lawful and continuous structure of our incarnational rhythms, not to mention how this knowledge can help us harmonize our activities with the karmic flows of our fellow beings so we are not constantly at each other's throats. It is not about accumulating isolated factoids about past lives out of sheer curiosity - we only feel it is so because we are so used to doing that in our normal life, or failing to think through how we arrived at our idea of 'ticket for expired parking meter', that we can hardly imagine a different sort of pragmatic, holistic knowledge.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

AshvinP wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:12 pm

Alright, so at least you are saying here the knowledge that a future ticket will be written for your car at an expired meter influences your current decision of where and how to park. Due to thinking experience, you can anticipate diverse intentional influences - such as the legislators who made the parking laws, the meter maid who administers the laws, the people who constructed the meter to accept money in a certain way, etc. - which structure the consequences for your present action of 'parking the car', and modify your action in the here-and-now accordingly. Of course, you don't think through all those influences every time you park, but condense them all into a useful idea like 'the parking meter expiring gets me a ticket'. That condensed idea only bears meaning for you, however, in relation to the whole spectrum of influences you learned through experience. The same exact principle could be applied to the 'value of education' and 'smoking and eating sugar is bad for my health'.

Now what if the diverse influences that structure the consequences of your actions are not only limited to the sphere of nature and culture during life on Earth, but are also present across the threshold of death (karma)? What if the natural and cultural laws that modulate your actions during life are reflections of the karmic laws across the threshold of death? This is naturally the only possibility for a monist idealism, but you don't even have to believe it's true. It's enough to see that, IF it is true, then remaining ignorant of the karmic laws that are fashioned after death (between incarnations) will greatly limit your potential for free, informed, and healthy actions during life. We could be right this moment inhaling polluted air and ingesting toxic substances from the soul-spirit environment that becomes our more exclusive dwelling after death, none the wiser.

That is the value of learning the lawful and continuous structure of our incarnational rhythms, not to mention how this knowledge can help us harmonize our activities with the karmic flows of our fellow beings so we are not constantly at each other's throats. It is not about accumulating isolated factoids about past lives out of sheer curiosity - we only feel it is so because we are so used to doing that in our normal life, or failing to think through how we arrived at our idea of 'ticket for expired parking meter', that we can hardly imagine a different sort of pragmatic, holistic knowledge.
I'm not disagreeing with you - especially with your use of conditionals (your ifs). I've been suggesting similar thoughts.
We can go on and on about IF this is true, IF that is true, etc.
A practical individual, for example one engaged in service, meditation, devotion to Christ, etc; a practical individual would have to think 2x before spending time in an endeavor with low chance of success - if success is even possible.
Did Christ mention anything about the value of learning about past\future lives? Did Buddha? No, it's a wasteful use of time.
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

lorenzop wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:50 am I do not know of any arguments supporting the value of learning of past lives, or of learning about after death.
If what you mean by 'learning of past lives and afterlife', is of the character where everyone believes they are reincarnations of Napoleon, then I agree too. Such 'knowledge' is even less than worthless, it's negative knowledge, we would be better off without it. But gaining true living orientation within our deeper soul and spiritual life, which in its essence reveals the nature of the disincarnate state, makes a world of difference.

How come? Well, as an extreme example I can remind again of my previous question (I don't know if you missed it or chose not to respond). Insight about existence in the soul strata of reality is what can give us the clearest understanding of what the effects of killing are.

We know what the common reasoning here is: (again assuming that we are immune to human prosecution) "I don't know whether killing somebody has any objective consequences. I don't even know whether we can speak of souls which are entangled in elastic Karmic relations. But just to be on the safe side, I'll refrain from killing anybody. Maybe I'm just overly cautious about this. Maybe I'm just being superstitious by even considering that such an act may have any repercussions for my future. Yet you never know. So I'll play it safe just in case." This is the basic philosophy of many. We have mentioned this before: "I don't know whether there's a God, but just to be on the safe side, I better live as if there's one."

This leads us into the position where we say "I don't know anything about reality besides the most immediate conscious phenomena and the fact that I exist. There could be afterlife or not. There could consequences of my actions or not. So I'll just play it safe and avoid touching anything while I'm here. Maybe I'm doing this for no reason, maybe I'm missing many opportunities to have some fun and enjoy what the senses can offer but I'd rather be safe than sorry - even if my existence ends at the moment of death and there's no one to appreciate that I have been playing safe."

This sounds like a reasonable philosophy to many but there's one problem: we know that there are many situations in life where we can get in trouble not because we did something but because we didn't do anything! This is again the meaning of the parable with the talents.

So the need of insight in the deeper strata of existence is dismissed because we think "Yeah, yeah, who needs this? I won't kill anybody anyway." But what if by simply refraining from doing certain things or gaining insight of these depths, we're actually harming the World's unfolding (within which our stream is also embedded)?
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

lorenzop wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:13 pm
AshvinP wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:12 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you - especially with your use of conditionals (your ifs). I've been suggesting similar thoughts.
We can go on and on about IF this is true, IF that is true, etc.
A practical individual, for example one engaged in service, meditation, devotion to Christ, etc; a practical individual would have to think 2x before spending time in an endeavor with low chance of success - if success is even possible.
Did Christ mention anything about the value of learning about past\future lives? Did Buddha? No, it's a wasteful use of time.

Ok, but the idea that 'we can go on and on about the IF', 'low chance of success if success is even possible', once again asserts that the IF is unknowable. You say it is "knowable" but when we dig deeper, "knowable" for you means what Cleric indicated, "I can speculate and play it safe with the mental pictures in my head, but anything beyond that is impossible". The way we use 'knowable' is like the fact that you know every time you go to sleep you will wake up the next day (barring very unlikely circumstances), and what you did the day before will have some lawful effect on your experiences the next day. Where you placed the items in your house the day before will govern where they are found the next day, or the actions you took towards other people will feed back into how they act toward you in the following days.

Imagine you go up to some kid and tell him, "smoking and eating candy is unhealthy, this can be known from experience." The kid responds, "sure I can take your word for it and act as if it is unhealthy, but these are just mental pictures in my head... whether smoking and eating candy is unhealthy will always remain a big IF that I can choose to heed or not, but experience will never lead me to any inner certainty on this issue. When I am really stressed out and my friends offer me a pack of smokes, I will just be practical and do what brings me relief at the time." In that case, you would rightly conclude the kid simply doesn't understand that certain things are knowable once we put time and effort into learning them and that our whole idea of what is 'practical' changes as we become better informed adults, with more expansive view of the interconnections between inner states and outer consequences.

On the question of the Christ and Buddha, I would offer the below. I don't want to get distracted into what the great teachers said we should do, because the modern path is about knowing what we can and should do independently of any teachers. Even the great teachings only remain as mental pictures unless we can find the corresponding inner realities within ourselves. It is also interesting that Christ didn't mention anything about not learning the karmic laws that extend across incarnations. You would think a great Master would have something to say about that if he wanted his disciples for millennia to come to know "it's a wasteful use of time".

The prince sat in meditation through the night. During the first watch of the night, he had a vision of all of his past lives, recollecting his place of birth, name, caste, and even the food he had eaten. During the second watch of the night, he saw how beings rise and fall through the cycle of rebirth as a consequence of their past deeds. In the third watch of the night, the hours before dawn, he was liberated. Accounts differ as to precisely what it was that he understood. According to some versions it was the four truths: of suffering, the origin of suffering, the cessation of suffering, and the path to the cessation of suffering. According to others it was the sequence of dependent origination: how ignorance leads to action and eventually to birth, aging, and death, and how when ignorance is destroyed, so also are birth, aging, and death. Regardless of their differences, all accounts agree that on this night he became a buddha, an awakened one who had roused himself from the slumber of ignorance and extended his knowledge throughout the universe.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
An exact mystery."
lorenzop

Post by lorenzop »

I use the word 'knowable' as in - in principle, there are no inherent barriers to knowledge. So yes, knowledge of past and future lives is possible.
My question has been re the value\utility of this knowledge, other than the sensational. And whether it's worth the years and decades of time that may be required.
We can assume our psycho-physiology has impurities, whether we wish to think of these impurities as chemical, structural, or distortions in a whirlpool. We can think of our 'spiritual duty' to purify our psycho-physiology.
We have multiple techniques of mediation, yoga, diet, prayer, devotion, etc. intended for purification. We don't need to dig into past lives. For example, if we task ourselves with cleaning the dining room table, we have methods of cleaning the table. We don't have to examine each stain and crumb . . . where did this crumb come from . . .

BTW, what's missing from this thread is a reference to a body of work, a 'pool of experts', with how to access and learn from past lives, how to put this info to spiritual use here and now, and narratives of success stories. Its possible Steiner may have written\spoken on this topic, but he may have had special powers and may be a one-of-a-kind, or he may have been psychotic.
Federica

Post by Federica »

tjssailor wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:22 pm Fredrica
What specifically is arbitrary?
I'm merely pointing out aspects of the implications of materialism that I don't generally see addressed.
In the way I understand your words here:
tjssailor wrote:Since I am consciousness using a certain life form for experience I know that consciousness also uses all other life forms for experience. The experience of death that other life forms report must be similar to what I will then experience as well.
I see a few assumptions:
- consciousness uses life forms in a 'one to many' relationship
- that all life forms are "used" by consciousness is enought to say that their experiences of death are similar
- individual experience has a monolitic character that reflects reality

Am I misinterpreting? Would you like to say something more about your philosophy?
In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

About six years ago (before my diagnosis of late stage heart failure) I thought about my end times and wrote this poem:

Perhaps

Perhaps because a lifetime is short 
and because I’ve entered my end zone
Each day seems more and more 
a good day to die, meaning to live well

I see the necessity, in this final phase,
to know death as a friend, as an ally toward happiness
Perhaps like a lover urgent with the desire
to birth new life into the world

Perhaps this is why I have such an urge 
to create, to be a maker while I can 
Does dying arrive this way, at first