Spiritually Relevant Italian Paintings

For posting metaphysically relevant art-forms: e.g. films, literature, poetry, music, etc. As everyone has different sensibilities, posters are encouraged to not post such content in other forum threads, but instead refer thread participants to pertinent content here.
Federica

Spiritually Relevant Italian Paintings

Post by Federica »

Last month I visited a museum exhibiting paintings by various Italian Renaissance (and later) artists. I guess some of the paintings may be spiritually relevant alongside the General Discussions. They may invite contemplation and offer symbolic entry points into some of the experiences often discussed in the threads. I will link a few pictures I took.

This is Saint Sebastian by Raphael, circa 1503. I was recently reminded of Raphael. Reading Steiner’s last address, given a few months before death, I was surprised that he made it mainly about Raphael, and his individual storyline of incarnations. I can’t say I understand the meaning of this choice, however I thought I would start this ‘gallery’ with one of his (Raffaello Sanzio) paintings.

In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Re: Spiritually Relevant Italian Paintings

Post by Federica »

This is Saint Francis of Assisi (San Francesco d'Assisi) receiving the stigmata, painted by Bonifacio Bembo, circa 1460.

In this epoch we have to be fighters for the spirit: man must realise what his powers can give way to, unless they are kept constantly under control for the conquest of the spiritual world. In this fifth epoch, man is entitled to his freedom to the highest degree! He has to go through that.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Assumption and Glory of Mary painted by Stefano de Fedeli, circa 1470.

Assumption of the Virgin, crowned by Christ, among Angels; the prophets Obadiah, Amos, Isaiah, Moses, Jeremiah, David, Ezekiel, Daniel, Joel, Jonah, Micah, Habakkuk; the Archangels Michael and Gabriel; the Apostles around the tomb; Saint John the Baptist and Saint Jerome holding a scroll; and the Saints Bernard of Clairvaux, Bernardino of Siena, Francis, Dominic, Peter Martyr, Stephen, presenting a donor.
Federica

Post by Federica »

Ecce Homo, by Andrea Solario, 1503-1504.

Federica

Post by Federica »

Holy Family with Saint Catherine of Alexandria, painted by Lorenzo Lotto in 1533.

Federica

Post by Federica »

Virgin Mary with the Child, painted by Andrea Mantegna, 1480.