New interview with Bernardo

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
Cleric K

Re: New interview with Bernardo

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene I wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:19 pm That's because the maps that we construct are the meanings of the thoughts. The thoughts, being phenomena of conscious experiences, are indeed of the same fundamental nature as the "territory" itself - of the nature of reality of our conscious experience. However, the content of the thoughts, their meanings, are only abstracted "facets" of the conscious phenomena of thought, and such facets ("maps") are unable to capture the reality of the "territory".
AshvinP wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:01 pm Put another way, I cannot think of any good reason why we would ever discount the pragmatic utility of the abstract representations when assessing Truth value.
I would like to add something in this respect. Doesn't add much for strict philosophy but could be interesting for what goes beyond philosophy.

The situation with the 'map and the territory' is a great illustration of the overall situation of current intellectual comprehension of reality. I agree with both Eugene and Ashvin. Yes, the intellect has hit the ceiling so to speak. It feels the territory of reality, yet it's fully incapable to encompass it in consciousness. It's like we are probing only here and there and extracting mineral like concepts but we can never reconstruct from these fragments the complete picture. This realization also leads to the pragmatic fallback - at least we can find what's useful even if we may never be able to behold reality.

Reality can be beheld. Only not from the standpoint of consciousness that is busy connecting chains of logical thoughts. The fundamental polarity of world of perceptions and world of ideas is actually truly fundamental. It's just that we cognize from these worlds only what we can think of. The concepts that we use are extracts from the world of ideas but this doesn't mean that this world is made only of concept-like ideas. It's similar about the world of perceptions. Sometimes we can recognize only perception for which we have concept for. It's interesting for example how the Himba tribe perceives color differently based on the different concepts and words they have developed.

Once we cross the threshold of ordinary consciousness the two worlds actually are the same but we begin to experience new kinds of ideas and correspondingly different kinds of perceptions. Our spiritual activity is again the meeting point of the two, although it is no longer intellectual thinking but something more akin to constant metamorphosis, an organic growth process. It should also be noted that the both worlds are much more intimately united, they are flowing into one another as soul and spirit. Nevertheless, this activity is full of meaning, just as intellectual thinking is full of meaning. In fact, it is much more meaningful than anything that we can construct through thoughts in the ordinary state. The reason for this is that the high-order processes that we experience carry within their flow the mineral-like concepts of the intellect. When we live within this flow we experience in a panoramic way whole domains of our ordinary soul-life.

I'll try to illustrate this with something rather abstract. In mathematics there are things called iterated function systems (IFS). Imagine a black box that performs some calculation. You input two random values A and B, and the box outputs two values X and Y. Then you take these X and Y as coordinates and plot a dot. Then you take the same X and Y and input them back into the box as A and B. This returns new X and Y and process continues. In the beginning it looks like we are drawing random dots - every next output seems to land in quite random location on the paper. But gradually, as more and more dots accumulate we begin to recognize patterns:

This can actually be used as somewhat useful analogy for higher perception (not the mathematical part but only the picture). In certain sense it can be said that in our ordinary state we are constantly 'probing' dots with our thoughts but they don't accumulate and we can very hardly feel that we are actually exploring with our thinking a living structure. Through proper meditation we can stop the random probing and concentrate on a point. As it expands we begin the feel the potential for thoughts but we resist to manifest them. The more we do that the more this feeling for potential becomes more and more tangible and it reveals a structure - we can perceive a wholeness of thoughts that could be thought but we withhold that from happening. It's not a static structure but highly dynamic, constantly metamorphosing. Of course from this point on, everything we talk about can be only in the lines of similes and analogies but nevertheless it shares something with the IFS analogy. We perceive the living structure as something holistic and we recognize how in our normal intellectual life we are only probing this structure without ever being able to grasp it. What is thus revealed is called in esoteric science the consciousness (astral) body and the soul organs (chakras). It's just one example of an infinite world that opens up.

I mention this for the following reason. There are concepts in #2 which for all practical reasons seem not to correspond to anything perceptible. Such is the case for the concept of 'astral body'. This sounds as something totally made up and fantasized. Yet when we attain to higher cognition we discover the perception which matches the concept. We do this in our normal life too. Very often we only hear about things and try to form a concept and the actual perception comes only later. (in higher cognition we don't experience the astral body as a concept - it's a living meaningful experience - but as we zoom in back in the intellectual state, the meaning of the experience is extracted as a concept that thinking can deal with. That's how we make 'translations' between the two states)

The important point is that we can gain intuitive understanding about such things even without attaining to proper higher cognition. The reason is that through higher cognition we don't teleport into some other world but we gain higher order perception of the same world that we live in all the time. This high order perception reveals processes, dynamics and deeds of beings that throw much light on our otherwise seemingly random probing of the intellectual state. So the thing is that when we are communicated such things, the very thinking about them (especially if is deeply felt) is already traversing the same these structures that we are hearing the high-order descriptions of. When we hear descriptions from several different angles and when we live thoughtfully through them we gradually begin to feel that inner geometry - even though we are still probing it only pixel by pixel. This is called intuitive thinking. Thinking can be transformed into something akin to a sense of touch. We no longer think for the sake of the abstract things we think but thinking itself becomes a living experience, a living tactile groping of the structures that shape the moulds into which thinking experiences itself. Much can be achieved in this way.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Cleric K wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:05 pm
Eugene I wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:19 pm That's because the maps that we construct are the meanings of the thoughts. The thoughts, being phenomena of conscious experiences, are indeed of the same fundamental nature as the "territory" itself - of the nature of reality of our conscious experience. However, the content of the thoughts, their meanings, are only abstracted "facets" of the conscious phenomena of thought, and such facets ("maps") are unable to capture the reality of the "territory".
AshvinP wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:01 pm Put another way, I cannot think of any good reason why we would ever discount the pragmatic utility of the abstract representations when assessing Truth value.
I would like to add something in this respect. Doesn't add much for strict philosophy but could be interesting for what goes beyond philosophy.

The situation with the 'map and the territory' is a great illustration of the overall situation of current intellectual comprehension of reality. I agree with both Eugene and Ashvin. Yes, the intellect has hit the ceiling so to speak. It feels the territory of reality, yet it's fully incapable to encompass it in consciousness. It's like we are probing only here and there and extracting mineral like concepts but we can never reconstruct from these fragments the complete picture. This realization also leads to the pragmatic fallback - at least we can find what's useful even if we may never be able to behold reality.

Reality can be beheld
Thanks, Cleric. As usual, the way you describe these modes of beholding with such ease and without sounding evangelistic or preachy is truly something to behold in itself.

Staying within the admittedly rigid philosophical mode for a bit, do you know of any ideal representation which is 'useful' in the pragmatic sense but is not pointing towards an ontically real aspect of the territory? If not, do you think such a representation is possible in principle?
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:59 pm The more I read of this insightful commentary inspired by BK's interview, the more I feel his lack of engagement with his larger audience, justified as it may be due to time constraints, is sorely missed, as it often seems that his clarification is surely needed. Alas, it seems that the only way to get an audience with him is to do a one-on-one interview, given that, as far as I can tell, he doesn't get involved with any broader audience Q&A on any of the platforms he uses to convey his ideas. And as much as I might enjoy listening to him engage with some interviewers, it often doesn't seem to get as deep as it might if some of the questions asked here were being put to him. Maybe it's time someone in this forum put in an interview request, and put some of these very nuanced and pointed questions to him. Any takers?
I nominate Cleric ;)

It seems like it would need to be hosted on a popular third party channel to make it worth the time and effort for BK. I would be hesitant because my formal philosophical training is zero and I would end up misrepresenting the religious idealist perspective.
"Most people would sooner regard themselves as a piece of lava in the moon than as an 'I'"
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

The important point is that we can gain intuitive understanding about such things even without attaining to proper higher cognition. The reason is that through higher cognition we don't teleport into some other world but we gain higher order perception of the same world that we live in all the time. This high order perception reveals processes, dynamics and deeds of beings that throw much light on our otherwise seemingly random probing of the intellectual state. So the thing is that when we are communicated such things, the very thinking about them (especially if is deeply felt) is already traversing the same these structures that we are hearing the high-order descriptions of. When we hear descriptions from several different angles and when we live thoughtfully through them we gradually begin to feel that inner geometry - even though we are still probing it only pixel by pixel. This is called intuitive thinking. Thinking can be transformed into something akin to a sense of touch. We no longer think for the sake of the abstract things we think but thinking itself becomes a living experience, a living tactile groping of the structures that shape the moulds into which thinking experiences itself. Much can be achieved in this way.
As an 'intuitive' I affirm this. Nicely described. It's a bit like having some additional 'senses'. And, yes, they are quite palpable.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:50 am I nominate Cleric ;)
And I denominate him :D
My philosophical training is also zero and furthermore I would suck in a real time environment :) When I'm working on a question I'm used to have calm time so that I can submerge myself in the matter, perceive the being of the question within its context, trace its relationships with its environment and then simply describe the landscape. I don't have the sharp-wit (like JP for example) needed to react momentarily and have something useful to say :)
AshvinP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:27 am Staying within the admittedly rigid philosophical mode for a bit, do you know of any ideal representation which is 'useful' in the pragmatic sense but is not pointing towards an ontically real aspect of the territory? If not, do you think such a representation is possible in principle?
I can't think of anything at this moment but that's primarily because I'm not versed in many philosophical works.

If we extend the question beyond idealism I would say that the most pragmatic is materialism. And we shouldn't be too judgmental of it because we use it all the time. In certain sense every world outlook can be thought of as a specific spectrum band of our inner experiences. We can't deal with sensory phenomenon without putting our materialist 'glasses'. Actually each pair of glasses has its rightful place. It's only when we try to explain with one part of the spectrum, everything else, that things become twisted.

Some day, when you are in the mood to experiment with switching glasses, you may want to check out Human and Cosmic Thought.
I can't recommend this universally because it requires one to feel some detachment from any one philosophical outlook and be ready to investigate how pure thinking - which is still neither materialist nor idealist - gets filtered and shaped accordingly to the glasses we put on.
In these lectures Rudolf Steiner demonstrates that there are twelve main philosophical standpoints and that the fruitful progress in philosophy depends not upon defending one and refuting the others but in learning to experience the validity of them all. This not only sharpens and makes more flexible our own powers of thinking, but also overcomes a narrow-minded one-sidedness and promotes tolerance and understanding of other people and their opinions.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Cleric K wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:36 pm
My philosophical training is also zero and furthermore I would suck in a real time environment :) When I'm working on a question I'm used to have calm time so that I can submerge myself in the matter, perceive the being of the question within its context, trace its relationships with its environment and then simply describe the landscape. I don't have the sharp-wit (like JP for example) needed to react momentarily and have something useful to say :)
AshvinP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:27 am Staying within the admittedly rigid philosophical mode for a bit, do you know of any ideal representation which is 'useful' in the pragmatic sense but is not pointing towards an ontically real aspect of the territory? If not, do you think such a representation is possible in principle?
I can't think of anything at this moment but that's primarily because I'm not versed in many philosophical works.

If we extend the question beyond idealism I would say that the most pragmatic is materialism. And we shouldn't be too judgmental of it because we use it all the time. In certain sense every world outlook can be thought of as a specific spectrum band of our inner experiences. We can't deal with sensory phenomenon without putting our materialist 'glasses'. Actually each pair of glasses has its rightful place. It's only when we try to explain with one part of the spectrum, everything else, that things become twisted.
Right, I think I get it. I'd like to think that I am intellectually holding to idealism even when evaluating phenomenon using materialist formulations, but that's easier said than done.

Regardless, "the most pragmatic is materialism" brings me back to this notion that 'physical' representations must link back to the underlying represented (and perhaps even unrepresented) under idealism. As Scott says, those representations are a language we have forgotten how to read through, no different from any other language in its essence. So the fact that treating those representations as 'physical objects' works to give us back expected/predicted results means there is something real about the physical representations, even if we don't quite understand what that is.
Some day, when you are in the mood to experiment with switching glasses, you may want to check out Human and Cosmic Thought.
I can't recommend this universally because it requires one to feel some detachment from any one philosophical outlook and be ready to investigate how pure thinking - which is still neither materialist nor idealist - gets filtered and shaped accordingly to the glasses we put on.
In these lectures Rudolf Steiner demonstrates that there are twelve main philosophical standpoints and that the fruitful progress in philosophy depends not upon defending one and refuting the others but in learning to experience the validity of them all. This not only sharpens and makes more flexible our own powers of thinking, but also overcomes a narrow-minded one-sidedness and promotes tolerance and understanding of other people and their opinions.
I have a feeling that I will be in that mood very soon, thanks! The main reason I am really drawn to pragmatism, phenomenology and (Jungian) depth psychology is that they do not a priori hold any particular philosophical position to be correct.
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

OK... then Scott it is 8-)
Cleric K

Post by Cleric K »

Eugene, I don't know what happened. Earlier today I saw your question, now it's gone. If I remember correctly you asked about meta-cognition?
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Cleric K wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:24 pm Eugene, I don't know what happened. Earlier today I saw your question, now it's gone. If I remember correctly you asked about meta-cognition?
Eugene did originally post that question here, but he then decided to post it as a separate topic on its own, then deleted it from this thread.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
ScottRoberts

Post by ScottRoberts »

AshvinP wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:07 pm
... furthermore I would suck in a real time environment :)
OK... then Scott it is 8-)
Alas, what Cleric said about capability in a real time environment applies doubly to me. :)