John Horgan defends not knowing

Any topics primarily focused on metaphysics can be discussed here, in a generally casual way, where conversations may take unexpected turns.
AshvinP

Re: John Horgan defends not knowing

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:27 pm Ashvin says, "I do happen to conclude consciousness is evolving toward ever-higher integration of perspectives, and it is the fragmentation of perspectives which actually leads to what we call "evil" and "suffering". Our current perspective is so far out on the 'periphery' of the One essential Mind, lost in complex webs of experience, that we find it very difficult to 'trace back' that experience to its Source."

I'm sympathetic toward this view and note that "tracing back" may be quite a challenge because our thinking itself carries the baggage of old errors, or as has been said, "You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it." Might it not be easier to find the source as suggested by Ramana Maharshi saying, "I see God in the tree because I see the tree as a tree." About the problem of suffering and the Glory of God, one might meditate on "The Queen of Trees" which is streaming for free here >>>

"You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it" means you cannot use the same logical process over and over again when you are starting with flawed assumptions. More generally, if the activity which creates the problems cannot also solve them, then we should all be extreme pessimists and wish for a quick, painless end. Fortunately, our activity can 'trace back' when raised to a higher functioning quality - it is like being raised above the maze you are stuck in so you can look down and see the path which leads out.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Lou Gold

Post by Lou Gold »

AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:09 am
Lou Gold wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:27 pm Ashvin says, "I do happen to conclude consciousness is evolving toward ever-higher integration of perspectives, and it is the fragmentation of perspectives which actually leads to what we call "evil" and "suffering". Our current perspective is so far out on the 'periphery' of the One essential Mind, lost in complex webs of experience, that we find it very difficult to 'trace back' that experience to its Source."

I'm sympathetic toward this view and note that "tracing back" may be quite a challenge because our thinking itself carries the baggage of old errors, or as has been said, "You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it." Might it not be easier to find the source as suggested by Ramana Maharshi saying, "I see God in the tree because I see the tree as a tree." About the problem of suffering and the Glory of God, one might meditate on "The Queen of Trees" which is streaming for free here >>>

"You cannot solve a problem with the thinking that created it" means you cannot use the same logical process over and over again when you are starting with flawed assumptions. More generally, if the activity which creates the problems cannot also solve them, then we should all be extreme pessimists and wish for a quick, painless end. Fortunately, our activity can 'trace back' when raised to a higher functioning quality - it is like being raised above the maze you are stuck in so you can look down and see the path which leads out.
The "tracing back" that I had in mind was the use of verbal language, which has a dualism embedded in it and leads to certain "source stuff" being ineffable. No need to debate it. Just an observation.
Be calm - Be clear - See the faults - See the suffering - Give your love
AshvinP

Post by AshvinP »

Lou Gold wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:35 am
AshvinP wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:09 am

The "tracing back" that I had in mind was the use of verbal language, which has a dualism embedded in it and leads to certain "source stuff" being ineffable. No need to debate it. Just an observation.

I agree, mere verbal intellect will not be sufficient to 'trace back'.
"A secret law contrives,
To give time symmetry:
There is, within our lives,
An exact mystery."
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Eugene I wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:01 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:32 pm The problem with this seemingly pragmatic argument is that it requires finding one particular position more plausible.

That is, I find a spiritual view most plausible therefore I might benefit from a spiritual practice.

There is always an opportunity cost so it does not come with no potential for loss. You could argue the reverse.

That is, I find a materialistic view most plausible therefore I might benefit from a scientific practice to understand the world rather than waste time on spiritual pursuits.
But why the scientific practice requires the materialistic view? I see nothing wrong or contradicting with holding non-materialistic views and still doing scientific practice. Max Plank was idealist by the way.

There is also another more inclusive position, which is to benefit from both scientific practice and spiritual pursuits, as long as the chosen philosophical views do not preclude someone from doing that.
My main argument is any pursuit requiring time and effort has an opportunity cost so Pascal's choice in the wager, if it requires anything more than passive acceptance of the existence of God, does have a cost associated with it. So it can't be used as an argument for idealism or belief in God because the premise that one has nothing to lose is wrong.

I don't really think science requires a metaphysics. It just requires non-belief in the supernatural. That non-belief frequently is conflated with materialism just as belief in the supernatural sometimes is linked to idealism. Belief in the supernatural is what makes science impossible.
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:18 amBelief in the supernatural is what makes science impossible.
How is supernatural being defined? One definition is: departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature. So if it just means that which science currently can't explain under the provisional consensus construct, then wasn't the idea of quantum entanglement, once described as 'spooky action at a distance', and once considered impossible according to the 'natural' laws of classical physics, also once defying and transcending what had been considered 'natural'? Did that preclude further scientific investigation? Just because science hasn't yet come up with an explanation, hasn't yet expanded the current category of 'natural', doesn't mean it's impossible.
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:15 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:18 amBelief in the supernatural is what makes science impossible.
How is supernatural being defined? One definition is: departing from what is usual or normal especially so as to appear to transcend the laws of nature. So if it just means that which science currently can't explain under the provisional consensus construct, then wasn't the idea of quantum entanglement, once described as 'spooky action at a distance', and once considered impossible according to the 'natural' laws of classical physics, also once defying and transcending what had been considered 'natural'? Did that preclude further scientific investigation? Just because science hasn't yet come up with an explanation, hasn't yet expanded the current category of 'natural', doesn't mean it's impossible.
Science is based on the premise that there are natural laws and explanations. That doesn't mean that everything can be explained but it means that we are looking for explanations involving measurable forces and objects. It means we can't pull rabbit out of the hat every time there is something that cannot be explained. It means we don't toss aside everything we know through science just because of one anomaly unless there is theory that incorporates better what we know and the anomaly.

The point is that there is a method to science that involves observations, theories, experiments and replications where possible. It is somewhat inherently conservative.

I don't know if you've heard of Arthur Reber or read any of my posts on him..

https://broadspeculations.com/2021/01/1 ... ciousness/

He engages in some pretty wild speculations about the cellular origins of consciousness. But here he writes about Cardeña’s paper on parapsychology.
While the paper bothered us on several levels, our primary concern was that it was symptomatic of a larger, more important issue that was being missed. It is not a matter of reviewing the existing database, scratching at the marginal and highly suspect findings of meta-analyses for something that passes the “< .05” cutoff point. It is not a matter of rummaging around in arcane domains of theoretical physics for plausible models. It is more basic than that: parapsychology’s claims cannot be true. The entire field is bankrupt—and has been from the beginning. Each and every claim made by psi researchers violates fundamental principles of science and, hence, can have no ontological status.

We identified four fundamental principles of science that psi effects, were they true, would violate: causality, time’s arrow, thermodynamics, and the inverse square law.

This enterprise has involved literally thousands of papers, hundreds of conferences, dozens of review volumes, and nothing has been learned. Parapsychology is precisely where it was in the 1880s. Why, we wondered, are researchers still running experiments, using ever-more sophisticated statistical techniques, reaching out to ever-broader realms of science, expanding their analyses into studies of consciousness and mind? This pattern of persistent belief in the anomalous may be the most psychologically interesting phenomenon associated with the study of psi. One of us (Alcock 1985) has argued it is likely linked with a vague sense that science, hard-nosed and physicalist, lacks that mysterianist element found in religious or spiritual realms. The lure of the “para”-normal emerges, it seems, from the belief that there is more to our existence than can be accounted for in terms of flesh, blood, atoms, and molecules. A century and a half of parapsychological research has failed to yield evidence to support that belief.
https://skepticalinquirer.org/2019/07/w ... t-be-true/

I would add, however, that, if and when parapsychology produces definitive evidence of what it studies, the evidence will be used to create a yet more expansive theory involving measurable forces and objects. It won't be a science of the unmeasurable because that wouldn't be science. If you want to argue there are things unmeasurable, that would be a different debate and I might even agree with you. I just don't think it can be called science.
Martin_

Post by Martin_ »

@Jim
It saddens me that you quote the Reber / Alcock reply to Cardeña.

Their reply is one on the most unscientific pieces of popycock I've ever seen published in a respected journal.
"I don't understand." /Unknown
Soul_of_Shu

Post by Soul_of_Shu »

Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:22 pm The lure of the “para”-normal emerges, it seems, from the belief that there is more to our existence than can be accounted for in terms of flesh, blood, atoms, and molecules.
Yeah, for example, consciousness
Here out of instinct or grace we seek
soulmates in these galleries of hieroglyph and glass,
where mutual longings and sufferings of love
are laid bare in transfigured exhibition of our hearts,
we who crave deep secrets and mysteries,
as elusive as the avatars of our dreams.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Soul_of_Shu wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 pm
Jim Cross wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:22 pm The lure of the “para”-normal emerges, it seems, from the belief that there is more to our existence than can be accounted for in terms of flesh, blood, atoms, and molecules.
Yeah, for example, consciousness
As I said, science doesn't mean there are not things that are unknown. Science would be done and complete if there were not things left to explain.

And the so-called "idealist science" has no explanation either. It just makes it a given. So it does no better.
Jim Cross

Post by Jim Cross »

Martin_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:38 pm @Jim
It saddens me that you quote the Reber / Alcock reply to Cardeña.

Their reply is one on the most unscientific pieces of popycock I've ever seen published in a respected journal.
Many things sadden me but this isn't one.